105 replies to this topic

#1 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:29 AM

Okay, I'm not going to name any names, but I've noticed that some users seem almost obsessed with post totals and people's positions on the list of members. Might the fact that some people seem ridiculously competitive about post totals, and seem to view achieving as high a "score" as possible as an end in itself, be an argument for not having post counts at all?

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:35 AM

I'm not sure that you can turn off post-counts.

It seems to be that as people grow, they get over the idea. And I don't totally mind them. There are some very valuable members in the higher posts - and more often then not the post number reflects their importance in the community.

Those who are obsessed with them will get over it. People earn respect and privlidges through what they post, not how often. The post quantity is only secondary to that.

#3 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:38 AM

I was a bit like that before I became a 00 agent. I think in certain situations quality is better than quantity. This is one of them, I think. It's better to have posts of a really high intellectual level to have than to have a lot of posts.

It's just that I thought something happened when you became a 00 and I was curious to see what, but nothing does happen, I don't think. (not a criticism). Everyone went on about the FDC like it was something brilliant.

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:43 AM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes

I'm not sure that you can turn off post-counts.

It seems to be that as people grow, they get over the idea. And I don't totally mind them. There are some very valuable members in the higher posts - and more often then not the post number reflects their importance in the community.

That's true. I don't mind post totals myself, and I'm sure most people here don't, either. It's just that a small minority of users seem to set so much store by them that it can be rather annoying, especially if they start getting stupidly competitive with other members, but I guess CBn staff members usually step in at that point, so....

Originally posted by Dr. Tynan

Everyone went on about the FDC like it was something brilliant.

That's right, I remember that. And now every man and his dog's in the FDC.:)

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:46 AM

And found there's nothing in it too.

#6 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:49 AM

Originally posted by Loomis
And now every man and his dog's in the FDC.:)

True. :)

Because of that, it's probably lost significance.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:56 AM

Trust me, I'm thoroughly embarrassed by my post total. No one person should have this much to say about James Bond. :)

But I would be against getting rid of them. I like to see where people stand and who's new, etc.

#8 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:58 AM

Why are you embarrassed by your total Zencat? Everyone needs a hobby. :)

-- Xenobia
(Who has a 3K+ post hobby)

#9 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:00 AM

Originally posted by zencat

Trust me, I'm thoroughly embarrassed by my post total. No one person should have this much to say about James Bond. :)

Ha! I know where you're coming from, zencat. I suppose anyone with a four-figure post total could fall under suspicion of not having a life, or maybe of making posts from a padded cell in a special institution for really hardcore Bond nuts.:)

#10 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:12 AM

Talking about headcases. I had a lunatic tutor once. He threatened to take legal action against a class who said he had not been attending lessons when he had been. :)

Just outta interest could he have done that? :)

#11 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:17 AM

yes there are some on the board obsesed with the "count" and who have told me they probably would not be on cbn much if it were not for the count, and its like a competion to stay ahead, [i cant live my life away from the board because so and so might be getting ahead of me in posts], but my feeling is i enjoy james bond and i like to read everyones thoughts and ideas on bond, and i want to enjoy my time here without worring over the post count. i am here for james bond not the post count and thats how it should be with everyone, cause in the end does it really matter? enjoy the fellowship with each other...thats what it is all about

#12 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:17 AM

I suppose anyone with a four-figure post total could fall under suspicion of not having a life, or maybe of making posts from a padded cell in a special institution for really hardcore Bond nuts.:)  

Okay, I've just looked at the members list, and it seems that over 30 of us fall into that category.:)

Originally posted by Dr. Tynan

Talking about headcases. I had a lunatic tutor once. He threatened to take legal action against a class who said he had not been attending lessons when he had been.  

Just outta interest could he have done that?  

Quite possibly. It's slander. That kind of talk could have blackened his name and adversely affected his career. Sounds to me like he had himself a case.

#13 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:27 AM

That's what I thought. But everyone told me he was off his trolley to say that. :)

Jim, could tell us whether or not a judge would've said to him "You're not serious". :)

I had some problems with a insane old man, some years back. Who falsely claimed I was harassing him and I was not. I coulda sued that son of a bitch for slander. he tried to have me barred from a library I visit.

This guy hated Homosexuals and Catholics.

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:37 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
enjoy the fellowship with each other...thats what it is all about

The very reason for forums like these :)

#15 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:41 AM

Actually you can turn the post total off so it doesnt show up on the posts. It still shows up in the members profile though. Don't ask me how to do it though, cause I have no idea, I just know cause I used to mod at a board where that became a problem, so they turned the post counts off.

#16 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 03:54 AM

Was it this bulletin board script though JimmyBond?

#17 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 04:11 AM

Yes, it was a Bulleting Board Script, same script as you use here.

As we're on the subject of annoying things posters do.

I'm really tired of people going into a thread, posting a reply...without even bothering to read the other posts!?! I'm tired of answering questions that have already been answered in the same thread.

#18 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 July 2003 - 06:33 AM

That's right, I remember that. And now every man and his dog's in the FDC.:)

And cat. :)

In the early days of the CBn Forums it was a little fun, had a sense of achievement amonst all the newbies, which back then was virtually everone.

Now it's worn off a little, but some have that competitive edge to their personality, which is OK. Forums are made up of all kinds of perople.

Maybe the FDC should now refer to the Five Digit Club. Someone is heading that way now. :)

#19 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 04:17 PM

Originally posted by zencat
No one person should have this much to say about James Bond. :)

...Or Angelina Jolie and Eliza Dushku. :) J/K. Well, like Xen said, you now have a hobby posting here, Zencat. Seriously though, it does get rather Irritating when people start taking the post totals as some sort of competition with a grand prize at the end. Especially when they throw a thread way off topic just to increase their totals. They're just missing the purpose of a forum. Isn't it also possible to just delete a certain number of posts from that member? And I don't mean 1 or 2. Is it possible to delete hundreds of posts if this person gets a little excessive? Just curious.

#20 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Double-Oh-Zero

Seriously though, it does get rather Irritating when people start taking the post totals as some sort of competition with a grand prize at the end. Especially when they throw a thread way off topic just to increase their totals.

Exactly. There have even been cases of people who seem to think that members with lower post counts ought to defer to them. I've seen posts - albeit only very rarely - along the lines of: "I've got 1,500 posts to my name and you've only got 125, so shut up." I hate the idea that a high post total is seen by some people as a badge of status signifying membership of some sort of non-existent hierarchy on this site.

#21 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 07:07 PM

Here's to hoping that those who are a little obsessed with quantity over quality will eventually get that we're not all here to be unhelpfully omnipresent in the forums, but to take time with our posts and discuss relevant things in topics that we have a connection with, rather than use situations to boost that insignificant number a few notches.

#22 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 08:21 AM

This is a rich post coming from those with over several thousand posts!! the mind boggles.

#23 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 08:44 AM

Welll...Thanks for that totally unneccessary post there KC, this thread hasn't been posted in since July...I think you missed the point..:)

#24 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 09:14 AM

Well for the amount of time Dunph has been here, compare it to his post total, I dont find the amount that curious at all. And I've noticed most of his posts to actually contribute to a discussion, not slander others.

#25 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 09:29 AM

I was not referring to Dunphboy. Also I am not slandering others, I have named no one - so it is not slandering, just showing contradictions all over this board and it always seems to come from those who have several thousand posts.
*_*

#26 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 10:07 AM

Sorry Kingdom, when you typed "This is a rich post" I presumed you meant Pauls, perhaps 'Thread' was the term you were looking for?
And I do see your point, although I disagree. In other words your calling us hypocrites? All other Members currently participating in this thread so far have been long standing members, who have no need to feel insecure, especially over some pointless made up "competition".

#27 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 10:19 AM

Sorry Ice, 'thread' was the word I should have used.

#28 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Kingdom Come

This is a rich post coming from those with over several thousand posts!! the mind boggles. ... I was not referring to Dunphboy. Also I am not slandering others, I have named no one - so it is not slandering, just showing contradictions all over this board and it always seems to come from those who have several thousand posts.
*_*

It is obvious that you are referring to me, KC, since I have a high post total and am the originator of this thread (and I started it at a time when some members were getting stupidly competitive about each other's post counts and were talking about them a lot).

So, since you brought it up:

Why, exactly, does your mind boggle at this thread? Where are the contradictions you mention? In short, in what way I am a pot calling kettles black?

BTW, not wishing to a start a flame war, me old lad, but this is a rich complaint coming from someone whose posts are often as inane as yours!

#29 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 04:52 PM

Who is BTW? You have done very well with your thousands of postings - stop being obsessed with postings! Why don't you put your threads through the eye of an needle!

#30 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Kingdom Come

Why don't you put your threads through the eye of an needle!  hehehe  

Hmmm.... it would have to be a pretty large eye!:)

You're a naughty little stirrer, KC, but I like you! (Your inane posts as well as your intelligent ones.):)

Reply to this topic