This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film

788 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film (678 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#691 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Let's be fair. What 80's fads could Bond emulate? Slasher-horror? Teen sex-comedy? MTV? John Hughes' teen angst movies? Send Bond to Vietnam?

I think EON deserves credit for having the presence of mind not to exploit this idea - 007 was the only action hero of the 80s who didn't rescue POWs in SE Asia (although he did spring a freedom fighter from a jail in Afghanistan - before Ramdo did). Not being American and therefore not riddled with the same PTSD helped, I suppose.

#692 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

TSWLM ripped off disaster movies

You're right. TSWLM pays tribute to The Poseidon Adventure.

#693 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

The Spy who Loved Me is my absolute favorite Roger Moore film. I loved Barbara Bach, and that dress that she wore to Max Calva's party or whatever was so pretty. I wanted to be like her lol. Plus the plotline was really good and Jaws is in it sooo..

#694 Jarvio

Jarvio

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Live And Let Die, followed by A View To A Kill.

It's ridiculous how much hate AVTAK gets. It's such an entertaining entry and I will never understand the harsh criticism towards it.

#695 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

I forgot what I voted for. I think I might have voted for The Man with the Golden Gun though these days I'd probably pick The Spy who Loved Me or Moonraker (The Spy who Loved Me in space) because Drax just seems like a more effective villain to me. I'll decide after my Bond "marathon" in preparation for Skyfall.

#696 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

The strict Fleming fan in me wants to say FYEO but from a young age it was always TSWLM. Still, lately, I've found myself loving LALD so I'll settle in that until my mood changes.

#697 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

Sad to see A View To A Kill trailing in the votes, as it's always been a guilty pleasure of mine! My vote went to Live And Let Die.

#698 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

It's ridiculous how much hate AVTAK gets. It's such an entertaining entry and I will never understand the harsh criticism towards it.

Um.....well, Maybe it's the bored and creaky geezer Roger Moore, the horrible back projection action scenes, Tanya Roberts as the dumbest, most bimbo-ish Bond girl ever, Grace Jones (yuck), California Girls? Any of this ringing a bell?

For me, I think For Your Eyes Only is the best Moore movie. The least embarrassing and silly movie from an embarrassing and silly era.

#699 bey-columbo

bey-columbo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

The Spy who Loved Me.

After the two kitsh and too much humoristic first movies with Roger Moore, TSWLM return to the classic form of the greatest Connery movies.
Of course, he remembers TB, YOLT, GF .... and this is positive.
Roger Moore acts as a more serious secret agent, Curd Jurgens is quite good and Barbara Bach, sexy, does not deceive.
It was a revival for the saga.
I particulary like Stromberg submarine base. The action takes place in Austrian Tyrol, Egypt and Sardinia, three locations relatively close to each other.
The car chase is one of the bests.
Richard Kiel is excellent in TSWLM, but he is deceiving in Moonraker.
In this movie, Jaws is a real threaten for Bond, a sort of realistic and human Terminator.

(Pay attention... SPOILER >>>)
But I wanna say that the girl forgives too much rapidly to Bond for the death of his russian boyfriend.
(End of spoiler.)

My Top 7 :

-The Spy Who loved me
-For Your Eyes Only
-Moonraker (Difficult to judge this one.... Jaws, the blond girl, the gondole and the ambulance scene, this is too much... but the space scenes are beautiful, even If it's really unusual in a James Bond...)
-A View to A Kill (Christopher Walken is excellent. And France by the way : Eiffel Tower, Chantilly castle)
-Octopussy (Excellent scenario, but too much kitsh and humor)
-Live and Let Die
-The Man With The Golden Gun (the less good of all the saga)

#700 Jarvio

Jarvio

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

Um.....well, Maybe it's the bored and creaky geezer Roger Moore, the horrible back projection action scenes, Tanya Roberts as the dumbest, most bimbo-ish Bond girl ever, Grace Jones (yuck), California Girls? Any of this ringing a bell?

For me, I think For Your Eyes Only is the best Moore movie. The least embarrassing and silly movie from an embarrassing and silly era.

I've heard the same criticisms every time, and pretty much none of them affect my enjoyment of the film as a whole.

To break them down:

Roger's age - Never bothered me whatsoever
Stacey Sutton - Granted, she's not a good bond girl. But the film has so many redeeming features, like a great villain, locations and action - that I overlook Stacey
California girls - The worst part of the movie, but it's only a few seconds long. It ruined the PTS yes, but it did not ruin the movie
Grace jones - I thought she was an interesting character
"The horrible back projection action scenes" - I don't even know what you mean by this. The action scenes looked fine to me, and no worse than any other bond movie

Basically, AVTAK does have a few flaws, but every single bond film in the existence of bond films do too. Let's look at TMWTGG... slide whistle on the car stunt is just as bad as california girls on AVTAK. Mary goodnight is just as bad as Stacey. Let's look at FYEO... Bibi is just as bad as Stacey. Let's look at OP... Tarzan yell is just as bad as california girls. Let's look at MR.... Jaws love scenes and the whole space sequence are far worse than anything in AVTAK. See what I'm saying? Every bond film is flawed. AVTAK just has too many great things in it for the 'flaws' to ruin the movie for me. It's fun, entertaining, and exciting. Underrated for sure.

Edited by Jarvio, 14 October 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#701 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

I've heard the same criticisms every time, and pretty much none of them affect my enjoyment of the film as a whole.

To break them down:

Roger's age - Never bothered me whatsoever
Stacey Sutton - Granted, she's not a good bond girl. But the film has so many redeeming features, like a great villain, locations and action - that I overlook Stacey
California girls - The worst part of the movie, but it's only a few seconds long. It ruined the PTS yes, but it did not ruin the movie
Grace jones - I thought she was an interesting character
"The horrible back projection action scenes" - I don't even know what you mean by this. The action scenes looked fine to me, and no worse than any other bond movie

Basically, AVTAK does have a few flaws, but every single bond film in the existence of bond films do too. Let's look at TMWTGG... slide whistle on the car stunt is just as bad as california girls on AVTAK. Mary goodnight is just as bad as Stacey. Let's look at FYEO... Bibi is just as bad as Stacey. Let's look at OP... Tarzan yell is just as bad as california girls. Let's look at MR.... Jaws love scenes and the whole space sequence are far worse than anything in AVTAK. See what I'm saying? Every bond film is flawed. AVTAK just has too many great things in it for the 'flaws' to ruin the movie for me. It's fun, entertaining, and exciting. Underrated for sure.

I'm with you on this one Jarvio. Roger's age never bothered me either (I actually think he looks better in A View To A KIll than he does in Octopussy!)
As for Stacey Sutton, from my time at uni, I remember meeting an incredibly attractive blonde who was studing Biochemistry. She ended up getting a First and undoubtedly knew her subject. However, she had zero common sense and was a complete bimbo when it came to things besides Biochemistry. She was the Burnley-born, Sheffield Uni student equivalent of Stacey Sutton. Therefore, I have no problem with the plausibility of Stacey's character...but she is annoying, fair point!
I like the California Girls bit. It's a good song. Yes OK, it's out of place, but why should that distract you from what is a brilliant pre-titles sequence?
I could go on.

#702 Jonathan Hemlock

Jonathan Hemlock

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Mine is FYEO. A very good film, the closest from the original James Bond, with OHMSS, imo. Greatest locations, Sir Roger is more rugged in this film. Personnaly I don't like Carole Bouquet, and of course Bibi Dahl is useless...The villain is certainly very discreet but he reminds me Greene in many ways. I love the "Campari style" of these years... B)

#703 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

The Spy Who Loved Me all the way. It has the perfect mix of humor, action, drama and OTT. It seems to me to be the one film that perfectly blends the mix of everything that make Bond, Bond. I doubt anyone came away from this one unsatisfied.

#704 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

I also really love Live and Let Die! Roger Moore was actually hot in that film, after that... I don't like Roger Moore at all for Bond, he kisses really weird..

#705 Redneck007

Redneck007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

1. LALD
2. TSWLM
3. FYEO
4. OP
5. TMWTGG
6. MR
7. AVTAK

#706 QuantumOfRoyale

QuantumOfRoyale

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

1. The Man With the Golden Gun
2. The Spy Who Loved Me
3. Live and Let Die
4. Moonraker
5. A View to a Kill
6. For Your Eyes Only
7. Octopussy

#707 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

TSWLM by a country mile.

I'm with you on this one Jarvio. Roger's age never bothered me either (I actually think he looks better in A View To A KIll than he does in Octopussy!)
As for Stacey Sutton, from my time at uni, I remember meeting an incredibly attractive blonde who was studing Biochemistry. She ended up getting a First and undoubtedly knew her subject. However, she had zero common sense and was a complete bimbo when it came to things besides Biochemistry. She was the Burnley-born, Sheffield Uni student equivalent of Stacey Sutton. Therefore, I have no problem with the plausibility of Stacey's character...but she is annoying, fair point!
I like the California Girls bit. It's a good song. Yes OK, it's out of place, but why should that distract you from what is a brilliant pre-titles sequence?
I could go on.

Exactly. Everyone know someone like that, male or female. AVTAK might seriously be my second favourite Moore entry, even though he looks a bit ridiculous in it.

Edited by Gothamite, 25 October 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#708 Tony_OO_Black

Tony_OO_Black

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

The Spy Who Loved Me, of course. I'm sure you all know why.

Octopussy I also have a special place in my heart for because it's so mad it had Bond fly a jet out of a mechanical horse's [censored]. What's not to love?

#709 Landcross

Landcross

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

For Your Eyes Only has always been my absolute favorite. The Man With The Golden Gun was the first Bond film I ever watched, so I always had a soft spot for Moore, but FYEO really sealed for me that with the right script, he was fantastic, and he was able to play the serious Bond as well as anyone. I think FYEO is simply the best Bond film in the series' entire history.

All of Sir Roger's, I'd rank:

FYEO

TSWLM

LALD

TMWTGG

Moonraker

AVTAK

Octopussy

It's a shame that the direct follow up to my favorite is one of my least favorite of all Bond films, but there's too much silliness after the well-done seriousness of FYEO. The fake horse's rear end, crocodile, Tarzan yell, gorilla suit, and applying perfect clown make-up in one minute is just too, too much for me.

Edited by Landcross, 10 December 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#710 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

The Man With The Golden Gun was the first Bond film I ever watched, so I always had a soft spot for Moore

Same here, I was probably 7 when I first saw TMWTGG and it got me hooked on Bond. Nowadays, I think it definitely one of the weaker entries. It's rushed, messy and seems to be solely trying to capitalize on the success of LALD. But as it was my first, I do have a soft spot for it.

#711 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

I choose FYEO

#712 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:24 AM

The Man With The Golden Gun was the first Bond film I ever watched, so I always had a soft spot for Moore

Same here, I was probably 7 when I first saw TMWTGG and it got me hooked on Bond. Nowadays, I think it definitely one of the weaker entries. It's rushed, messy and seems to be solely trying to capitalize on the success of LALD. But as it was my first, I do have a soft spot for it.
Mine was FYEO then Octpussy. They were on HBO back in the day lol!!!

#713 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Live and Let Die

Moonraker

The Spy Who Loved Me

The Man with the Golden Gun

Octopussy

A View to A Kill

For Your Eyes Only..(I don't dislike it.. I just always have a hard time getting into it.)

#714 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

I voted Moonraker. I love that movie! It's so much fun to watch it over and over again.

The locations are superb and the action scene the most exciting in the whole series. Moore is exellent and looks like how I think Bond has to look like..

But For your eyes only is a very close one for my number one Bondmovie.

Edited by Grard Bond, 28 July 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#715 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Although I was introduced to the world of James Bond by "The Spy Who Loved Me", "Moonraker" definitely cemented my love for 007. 

Sure, it´s cheesy, over the top and an unashamed attempt to get the 70´s sci-fi-audience into the cinemas - but it sure is lots of fun.  007´s most mainstreamed family adventure, one might say.

#716 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

Although I was introduced to the world of James Bond by "The Spy Who Loved Me", "Moonraker" definitely cemented my love for 007. 

Sure, it´s cheesy, over the top and an unashamed attempt to get the 70´s sci-fi-audience into the cinemas - but it sure is lots of fun.  007´s most mainstreamed family adventure, one might say.

I love those two. They will always be my top Moore adventures.

My current Moore ranking:

1. The Spy Who Loved Me

2. Moonraker

3. Octopussy

4. Live and Let Die

5. The Man with the Golden Gun

6. For Your Eyes Only

7. A View to a Kill

#717 Belmont

Belmont

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

Any one of the first four Moore outings has at being my favorite. The John Glen directed ones each have too many issues that keep them from really being in contention, but for me, the four film run from Live and Let Die through Moonraker sums up the best qualities of the Moore era.

Today, the winner is Live and Let Die. As much as I love the villain and setting of Golden Gun and the lively, almost celebratory quality of Spy, Live and Let Die is a gutsy and unique entry  with a great title song, a terrific Bond girl, and really good pacing. Also, crocodiles.

#718 JSDude1

JSDude1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

For Your Eyes Only, followed by A View To A Kill, The Man With The Golden Gun, and then The Spy Who Loved Me

#719 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Moonraker has just surpassed Live and Let Die as my favorite Moore film. I decided to update my rankings as such.

1. Moonraker

2. Live and Let Die

3. The Spy Who Loved Me

4. The Man With the Golden Gun

5. Octopussy

6. and 7. are difficult for me. I guess For Your Eyes Only will take 6th. I was watching A View to a Kill a few weeks ago and I really like the film until just after the underwater oil pump station, then it falls apart for me when Ol' Rog decides to cook dinner and tuck in his daughter. 

#720 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:47 AM

My ranking remains the same - although AVTAK has jumped FYEO.