This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film

788 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film (678 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#661 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

Absolutely! Nostalgia is a pretty potent weapon especially one that involves James Bond.

I could not have possibly asked for a finer bigscreen introduction to the world of 007 than with Moonraker. It contained everything required to capture my young imagination and made me want to discover the other films (and then later the books) at the earliest opportunity. The reason I am here now (and even some good friends that I have made along the way) has been due to that first glimpse into Bond's world.

I am well aware of the film's shortcomings (in certain areas) but am happy to put them to oneside because of what else the film has given me over the years and continues to do so now.

I really enjoyed reading your poignant response. Moonraker didn't win me over as quickly as it did you. I now consider it to be one of my favorite Bond films. If I had seen it under the same circumstances that you described then perhaps I would have been won over as quickly as you were.

#662 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

1. The Man With The Golden Gun
2. For Your Eyes Only
3. The Spy Who Loved Me
4. Live and Let Die
5. Octopussy
6. A View To A Kill
7. Moonraker

#663 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

Just realized a local cinema is doing an every-so-often (haven't figured out the frequency yet, lol) Bondathon, LALD is this week's film. Love me some old fashioned big-screen Bond, oh yeah. :D

Edit: TMWTGG is next week's, sweet, those are the two I wanted to see! Yippee!

Edit edit: something I've been wanting to do, see how OHMSS works as the lead-in to LALD (pretend there was one of those long waits between Bond films, and DAF doesn't exist, lol). Watched OHMSS at home today, so I have that fresh in my head for LALD tomorrow night. Somehow I feel the transition will be a smoother one even if the Blofeld storyline isn't continued, just never liked how DAF all but ignored events in OHMSS, rather see how full-on ignoring them and Bond jumping from nearly wed to his old womanizing self works in the continuity (anticipating a new Bond - Moore - will make me shrug and simply go with it).

Post edit: Laz to Moore worked just fine, both were eager for the action and worked a bit too hard at being posh, yet both still had charm and gravitas to spare. That they visually looked pretty similar helped. The transition from Hunt to Hamilton worked less well, somewhere along the line Hamilton picked up a cartoony veneer, as if he knew audiences wouldn't buy an OTT/gadget-ridden heroin smuggling plot (he was right) and therefore ran hot and cold literally scene by scene with the verisimilitude. Oh well, at least he kept the pace pin ball-quick, and (wisely) relied on Moore and Kotto and co. to carry the rest. But the tonal shift was marked: OHMSS grabbed me with it's emotional core and never let up; LALD was mostly fun and a few times tense but, well, mostly fun. Not a bad thing and I appreciated what I got, but the few really killer moments (Kananga revealing himself to Bond then testing Solitaire's powers, for instance) made a lot of the rest of the proceedings (Rosie except when she's scared, every scene with Leiter, Quarrel Jr.) feel much too light-weight. Would've preferred a smaller, more intense bad guy scheme, maybe in the next one? ;)

#664 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

For your eyes only.

Roger Moore is in the character, Carole Bouquet is a bit insipid for a Greek woman, she's rather cold, and Topol and Glover are just wonderful. The plot is more realistic after Moonraker, simple but interesting. There are beautiful places and the music gives a singular aspect.

And the movie doesn't have those humoristic moments a la Octopussy for instance, and for me, that makes this film better.

#665 O'Cookmate

O'Cookmate

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

I always struggle to name my favourite Bond film, probably because there's so many of them. And I always struggle to name my favourite Bond film with Moore because this is the era that introduced me to the franchise and it's the one I love the most. The Man with the Golden Gun, while not my favourite, will always have a special place in my heart because it's the first Bond film I ever saw and one that I feel is quite under-rated. I suppose, if nostalgia is to play its part, I'd have to say The Spy Who Loved Me; if TMWTGG is my first Bond film, the TSWLM is the first to wow me! As I've grown more familiar with the franchise, I understand criticisms that it's a 'best of' package, but that doesn't bother me. It's a film of great scale, with a great story and great set pieces. Sure, Barbara Bach leaves a lot to be desired as a Bond girl, but the film's flaws - for me anyway - are far and few between. It's a constantly satisfying and never dull Bond film. It's big, it's fun and it's unpretentious. And Roger Moore is arguably the finest he's ever been as Bond in this film.

Having said all of that, Octopussy is a particular favourite of mine and I find it often alternates with TSWLM on the top spot. A friend and I agree that, to us, it's the quintessential film of the Moore era. The sense of fun and adventure make this film incredibly watchable, the plot is actually really rather good and the humour - while often criticised - is well-matched and never detracts from the actual drama of the piece. Roger Moore is, once again, on very fine form (arguably for the last time) and his chemistry with Maud Adams is simply beautiful - the best Bond girl of them all. Octopussy lacks the wow power of TSWLM, but it's a film that ticks all the boxes. But it's probably the lack of that wow power that makes me lean slightly toward TSWLM as my favourite film.

I have to give an honourable mention to For Your Eyes Only for being a solid adventure.

#666 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:24 AM

Great post O'Cookmate. :tup: Welcome to the forums.

#667 O'Cookmate

O'Cookmate

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

Great post O'Cookmate. :tup: Welcome to the forums.

Thank you very much! :)

#668 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

My favorite Roger Moore 007 adventure has always been, and always will be, TSWLM. Although, sometimes I wonder how different of a film it would be if Christopher Lee & Kurt Jurgens had switched roles with each other.

Can you imagine? I mean, don't misunderstand me. Lee was an EXCELLENT Scaramanga, but as a villain, he wasn't overwhelmingly menacing. Stromberg, on the other hand, had, in my oppinion, one of the most strongest of entrances for a Bond villain (He and Franz Sanchez). I think the film would've had a darker more sinster feel to it. ("Once again, gentlemen, my most profound thanks.")

#669 Colorshade

Colorshade

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

Wow, fun to see that the top three votes are the same as my views:

1. The Spy Who Loved Me
2. For Your Eyes Only
3. Octopussy

Actually, I sometimes prefer Octopussy to FYEO. The latter can become a bit slow-paced at times, where Octopussy is more exotic and fresh.
I also agree that TSWHLM may be a bit of a 'boring' choice, and a best of-package, as has been said. However, it's just solid good.
Moore is in his prime, General Gogol, skiing, Jaws, General Gogol, big climax fight etc.
I don't think Moonraker's the worst film, either.

#670 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:46 PM

Wow, fun to see that the top three votes are the same as my views:

1. The Spy Who Loved Me
2. For Your Eyes Only
3. Octopussy

Actually, I sometimes prefer Octopussy to FYEO. The latter can become a bit slow-paced at times, where Octopussy is more exotic and fresh.
I also agree that TSWHLM may be a bit of a 'boring' choice, and a best of-package, as has been said. However, it's just solid good.
Moore is in his prime, General Gogol, skiing, Jaws, General Gogol, big climax fight etc.
I don't think Moonraker's the worst film, either.

Octopussy was more of a ridiculous parody of itself than Moonraker. These 2 movies (along w/DAD & maybe DAF) are the only ones in the entre series that cannot be taken seriosly.

#671 Colorshade

Colorshade

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

I hear that sometimes but I do not get what's such a parody about Octopussy, or what is so silly about it. It has a great villain, Bond girl, stunts, not a far-fetched plot, some actual spying, etc.
The only scene I really hear people complain about is Bond dressed up as a clown. But it was a great disguise, wasn't it? He's yet being serious about the bomb, loyal to the mission. This has never bothered me one bit.

And you have to admit, when Jaws turned in Moonraker, that was extremely fortunate and much sillier than any plot device found in Octopussy.

OH, and I really, really hate the Tarzan yell, but that's probably something John Glen thought of in the editing room and slapped in because he thought it would be funny. I try to pretend that didn't exist. (Same goes for 'California Girls' in AVTAK.)

Edited by Colorshade, 01 September 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#672 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:03 AM

I hear that sometimes but I do not get what's such a parody about Octopussy, or what is so silly about it. It has a great villain, Bond girl, stunts, not a far-fetched plot, some actual spying, etc.
The only scene I really hear people complain about is Bond dressed up as a clown. But it was a great disguise, wasn't it? He's yet being serious about the bomb, loyal to the mission. This has never bothered me one bit.

And you have to admit, when Jaws turned in Moonraker, that was extremely fortunate and much sillier than any plot device found in Octopussy.

OH, and I really, really hate the Tarzan yell, but that's probably something John Glen thought of in the editing room and slapped in because he thought it would be funny. I try to pretend that didn't exist. (Same goes for 'California Girls' in AVTAK.)

One of our experts on here can probably clarify on who was responsible for these moments. I always thought John Barry came up with the idea of California Girls in AVTAK.

?????

#673 Colorshade

Colorshade

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:20 AM

I don't know who came up with it, but I doubt it was John Barry.

#674 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

Just an update from my last post in January. The top three remain the same and AVTAK remains my least liked...these spots will never change.

1. Live and Let Die
2. For Your Eyes Only
3. The Spy Who Loved Me
4. Octopussy
5. The Man with the Golden Gun
6. Moonraker
7. A View to A Kill

#675 The ides of Mark

The ides of Mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

1. A view to a kill
2. Octopussy
3. Live and let die
4. The man with the golden gun
5. The spy who loved me
6. For your eyes only
7. Moonraker

Based on how many times I watched these movies, but I love'em all!

#676 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

FYEO

Although I feel that Moore's 5th is the best out of the bunch, there are a couple of things I didn't like:

1st, I felt that M's role should've been cast. This should've been Robert Brown's 1st entry into the franchise (not Octopussy). The weak explanation that he was on leave just isn't plausable. An international crisis such as the sinking of the St. Georges would've bought him back to Whitehall.

2nd, Bibi Dahl was an exhausting amount of wasted screen time. She contributed absolutely nothing to the plot other than to make OO7 look & feel kinda creepy.

3rd, I felt that Kristato's henchman was too much of a generic cardboard cutout. (another Red Grant wannabe... think YOLT, TLD & TND)

Edited by Miles Miservy, 05 March 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#677 mrevans

mrevans

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

LALD. This was probably the first Bond movie I ever saw as a kid. Didn't realize it was part of a bigger series at the time. Perhaps offbeat in view of the franchise but just a flat out good time. Moore's quips are at their best. Best looking Bond girl by far. Great villans. Baron Samedi is out there in a good way. Love the ending with him on the front of the train. Tops the movie off perfectly. One of the best title songs. Great set pieces: plane chase, boat chase, train fight (not as good as one from FRWL but still cool). Sherriff Pepper, I find hilarious. I know a lot of people don't like him but he cracks me up everytime. He's actually an ongoing inside joke in my family. He a good mixture of Barny Fife from the Andy Griffith show and Bufford T. Justice from Smoky and the Bandit. Voodoo theme gives a nice creepy tone and I love the funeral scenes... delightfully wicked. I could go on and on but I have to stop somewhere. Great movie. Will always have a soft spot for it.

#678 007RogerMoore

007RogerMoore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

1. TMWTGG
2. MR
3. OP
4. AVTAK
5. LALD/TSWLM
7. FYEO

#679 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

Am I the only one here who didn't mind those three flourishes? In fact, I'd go so far as to say that AVTAK's ski chase wouldn't be complete without "California Girls".

#680 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only
Bill Conti's music in the chase ski/motorcycle scene to this day is amazing!!! the music pumps me up Posted Image

I love that chase scene.. I think it is the best one in any action movie!! thats all real.. no cgi in that scene Pierce & Cubby's Kids Posted Image

It is a great scene...Its much better than the lame, stilted badly conceived and utterly unconvincing parahawk scene in TWINE.

I think that was supposed to be an homage to OHMSS.

#681 SteveBolton

SteveBolton

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

For your eyes only
the spy who loved me
live and let die
a view to a kill
Octopussy
Moonraker
The man with the golden gun

#682 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

1. Moonraker / Octopussy (tie)

3. A View to a Kill

Don't care for the others.

#683 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

I also like MR, even though most fans seem to loathe it with a passion. I never understood what was so terrible about it. The outer space concept is extravagant, I'll concede. But the tone of the film is no more cartoonish than any Moore film. And it has solid acting, in the form of Michael Lonsdale and Lois Chiles.

I enjoy watching all of the Moore films except for TSWLM and Octopussy.

#684 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

I agree whole-heartedly: MR is tons of fun. And it´s got so many great scenes that belong to the best in the whole franchise:

1. Bond falling out of the plane without parachute
2. Bond stumbling away from Goodhead after the centrifuge incident
3. The dog chase...
4. Jaws appearing in the alley during the carnival
5. The fight with Chang
6. The cable car fight

#685 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Yes, MR is great fun, but I'm still not sure about Venice and to a somewhat lesser degree, Rio. Something about the pacing never really worked for me. I do enjoy the hell out of Bond at Drax's house and the grand finale. Shame that we didn't get to see 007 actually in space like in the Christopher Wood novelization.

#686 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

MR is a movie that was chasing trends. I like TSWLM and even TMWTGG for more original storylines. FYEO has its moments as well. The Moore movies are my least favorite, but if I could have drinks with one of the previous Bonds it would be Roger Moore. Seems like a great chap!

#687 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

All of the 70's Bond films were shameless mirrors of pop culture. DAF ripped off the Rat Pack, LALD ripped off blacksploitation, TMWTGG ripped off the kung fu craze, TSWLM ripped off disaster movies, and MR ripped off Star Wars. In retrospect, I think this trendy parasitism had a positive effect. By focusing like a laser on a pop cultural moment, each film has a distinctive flavor. Beginning with FYEO, the Bond films became less faddish and derivative, but they also became more generic.

#688 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Did they? Re-reading the Fleming short stories, I came to re-appreciate FYEO, OP and LTK (I always loved TLD) because they actually use more Fleming ideas than I had remembered.

More generic was the Brosnan era, of course, although IMO the 90´s in themselves were a time for very generic, overblown action stuff (hello, Michael Bay...) Bond just had to compete with in order to stay interesting for the kids.

#689 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

By focusing like a laser on a pop cultural moment, each film has a distinctive flavor. Beginning with FYEO, the Bond films became less faddish and derivative, but they also became more generic.

TSWLM borrowed from Spielberg's Jaws more than anything else

FYEO is derivative of the Bond franchise itself, a recycled greatest hits package that for some reason I can't fathom says hello to the ice skating movie "Ice Castles"

OCT has a Raiders of the Lost Ark influence

NSNA jumped on the video game fad-wagon and gave Bond a black sidekick

AVTAK jumped on the computer fad-wagon and gave a black performer a co-starring role

TLD jumped on the iron-contra & drugs fad-wagons

LTK jumped on the Miami Vice bandwagon

Let's be fair. What 80's fads could Bond emulate? Slasher-horror? Teen sex-comedy? MTV? John Hughes' teen angst movies? Send Bond to Vietnam?

#690 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

There should be an extra choice - what about Roger Moore's performance in "The Cannonball Run"...snicker....!

But that movie was funny - and Roger really had fun with it - it was great seeing him smile at the end.

I hope he truly understands the great joy and happiness he has brought into many lives with his great acting as a great spy...hope he gets back at writing his autobiography.

We can give him credit in that it's the ONLY movie that Roger Moore is placed behind the wheel of a DB5.