289 replies to this topic

#271 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

I don´t think they would do it, having Waltz in the ensemble.

Then again, if the character were re-booted as a woman - Monica Belucci would be the most attractive Blofeld yet.

But really, I don´t think EON would go for that.  They know that the press would jump on it, comparing Barbara Broccoli with a female Blofeld etc.

Nah, it will either be Waltz or...

... someone else completely who, of course, has not been revealed yet.  

Because that would be the real surprise.  And why would they want to come out with that during the first photocall?

I don't think they go that direction, either.  That said, my reaction would be similar to the one I had while watching The World is Not Enough when Electra was revealed, which was that of indifference.

I think if Blofeld is actually in this film, then it has to be Waltz.  If they hired him to be a red herring and cover for someone else being Blofeld, then I hope they compensated him well for the grief he's going to have to hear from the press for the next 11 months, with every interview beginning with "So, you're playing Blofeld, right?"

#272 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:09 PM

If they hired him to be a red herring and cover for someone else being Blofeld, then I hope they compensated him well for the grief he's going to have to hear from the press for the next 11 months, with every interview beginning with "So, you're playing Blofeld, right?"

That and I hope they´ve got something awesome in their sleeves, like Max Von Sydow being Blofeld without telling us about it. Him or Christopher Plummer. Something like that. Nah, Waltz it is. 

#273 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:46 PM

I noticed Waltz standing next to Craig, who is the shortest Bond of course, and Waltz is shorter than him and i wondered how many think Blofeld should be physically imposing like in the novels? 

I know they can make someone appear larger on film of course . Just wondering opinions.

#274 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:49 PM

They went with a dapper Blofeld in Donald Pleasence - admittedly after casting and then letting go a bearded Blofeld in Jan Werich on the grounds that he looked too benign and too much like Father Christmas. An actor under the requisite 6 ft+ can still give a compelling performance and Christoph Waltz has two Oscars to prove that he can do just that.

#275 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

Of course, it's also possible as others have already stated, the Waltz isn't playing Blofeld.

#276 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:43 PM

height should not be a factor......the magic of film can make a person taller or smaller 

#277 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:47 PM

It's interesting to read in rumours that Waltz is playing Oberhauser. It makes me think that there will be references to Bond's parents again. Maybe it turns out that Oberhauser is not only Blofeld but also killed Bond's parents.

I have no idea how much speculating I am doing here, but if they did go down this route, it would be too much referencing of Bond's childhood, in the same way they have done with certain Comic Book heroes.

My niggling concern is that they are trying to use Bond's childhood and family as motivation and as a theme when I really don't think we need it in the world of 007.

Or maybe we do? What are your thoughts?

#278 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:53 PM

It's interesting to read in rumours that Waltz is playing Oberhauser. It makes me think that there will be references to Bond's parents again. Maybe it turns out that Oberhauser is not only Blofeld but also killed Bond's parents.

I have no idea how much speculating I am doing here, but if they did go down this route, it would be too much referencing of Bond's childhood, in the same way they have done with certain Comic Book heroes.

My niggling concern is that they are trying to use Bond's childhood and family as motivation and as a theme when I really don't think we need it in the world of 007.

Or maybe we do? What are your thoughts?

I agree, we don't need any of that nonsense in the Bond films.

But, we're going to get it.  With Skyfall making 1.1 billion at the box office, EON's going to go full steam ahead in the pursuit of putting more of Bond's past on the screen.  Since it worked in Skyfall, we're going to see it again and again until the returns start diminishing.  

I wouldn't put it past them to make Oberhauser into Blofeld and I'm sure we'll find out that he killed Bond's parents.  As you said, it's the popular thing to do in entertainment these days and would allow for yet more of this "this time it's personal" crap to continue its almost 30-year reign over the storytelling of the franchise.

#279 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

Since SF already touch on his childhood and parent...it won't happen again 

#280 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:59 PM

With Oberhauser being involved, it's pretty likely we'll get at least a mention of Bond's parents.

#281 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

i actually missed up until now who Oberhauser is. That's weird....i think they're going too far into the weeds with that one. If Bond's parent's were murdered they really will be chasing Batman Begins   :sad:

#282 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:20 AM

With Oberhauser being involved, it's pretty likely we'll get at least a mention of Bond's parents.

This is my only fear. I enjoyed Skyfall but everything happening at his childhood home and even seeing the graves made me think of Batman Begins or Harry Potter or something.

I think they are going to reveal that Blofeld killed Bond's parents, and that he will have to wait at least one more movie to get revenge.

#283 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:21 AM

This is my only fear. I enjoyed Skyfall but everything happening at his childhood home and even seeing the graves made me think of Batman Begins or Harry Potter or something.

I think they are going to reveal that Blofeld killed Bond's parents, and that he will have to wait at least one more movie to get revenge.

Yeah, I can definitely see them going the Blofeld killed Bond's parents route.  Then we'll get a lot of that psychoanalysis of Bond and how Blofeld "created" the Bond that we all know and love.

#284 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:27 AM

Yep and it will leave me asking why can't the "Terrorism" part of the acronym be enough motivation for 007 to want to stop Blofeld?

#285 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:40 AM

It is probably too much that Blofeld killed Andrew & Monique Bond - too much like the motivation in the Batman series for Bruce Wayne to become the Caped Crusader.

On the other hand, Blofeld murdering Oberhauser senior (and junior?) and adopting the identity of the son and heir (and his cache of gold?). Sounds similar to the Dexter Smythe plot in Octopussy, so the back reference to Fleming source material is there. Add to it the possibility that Quantum was really SPECTRE all along, and that Blofeld was the leader and ultimately responsible for the blackmail and death of Vesper Lynd, and there's enough motivation, above and beyond the actual mission in hand, for Bond to want to take down Blofeld.

One further point. I wonder how they are going to handle Bond 25 if, as many here would like, it is reminiscent of the plot of the novel You Only Live Twice? Does Bond end the film Spectre a sadder and wiser, even a broken man? Unlikely unless something like the death of Tracy is also included, and he starts Bond 25 as a physical wreck. And that scenario - Bond as basket case -has been done before as recently as Skyfall so can one really see it being recycled so soon?

More likely I think - at the end of Spectre, Blofeld is presumed dead. Mission accomplished. Vesper and Oberhauser avenged. Bond 25 - during the course of a seemingly routine - as opposed to impossible - mission in Japan Bond's settled state of mind is shaken when he is asked as a favour by Japanese Intelligence to investigate a Dr Shatterhand and his collection of death and realises that... well, you know the rest. It's a variation on the plot of the book in that whereas Bond thinks he's lost everything at the start of the novel YOLT, here in Bond 25 he's seemingly won, only to realise he hasn't. As much "unfinished business" as "this time it's personal".

#286 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

Further to my above post - my idea isn't even original, if you think about it - for what was the plot of the film DAF about in part, if not Bond thinking he's beaten Blofeld only to find out he hasn't? However the whole reboot era has recycled themes from previous movies, if not actually remade the films themselves. And I think the scenario I've outlined would allow Bond to take on Blofeld one last time without going through the "Bond as basket case" episode from Skyfall all over again.

#287 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:56 AM

How likely is it Waltz is playing Blofeld?

Could Waltz be who they say he is and Chiwetel Ejiofor will play Blofeld but wont appear till the end...

#288 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:54 AM

Sam Mendes said at the announcement last Thursday that Waltz was the most important casting in the new movie. (Other than Craig as Bond, of course) Wouldn't it seem a bit odd to cast a double Oscar winner in the film and cast him as the son of a ski instructor? He's got to be playing a villain, indeed the villain. Whether he's Blofeld is a moot point, but again, why title a film "Spectre" and not include Blofeld at some stage? I myself have wondered on this site whether Blofeld is in Spectre but the more I think about it the less sense it seems to make not to include him. Only one previous movie in which SPECTRE is mentioned didn't feature Blofeld - the first Bond, Dr No, when there is no hint of SPECTRE involvement until Dr No reveals his membership. After that, the man with the Persian cat is in it.

#289 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:06 AM

I agree.  Waltz was not cast as just another villain in a film that revives Spectre.

#290 SkyfallCraig

SkyfallCraig

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

I can see an after-the-final-credits scene with Waltz, believed dead, revealing himself ad Blofeld