143 replies to this topic

#31 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

Patrice was as bland as they come. No personality. No distinguishing features.

I think his fashion sense and weaponry stood out more than he did. An expensive suit with designer trainers as well as a Beretta with a drum clip? Wow think Patrice subscribed to Details, Maxim or British GQ?

#32 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

I agree - but it was also due to the very limited screen time.  I welcome a new, broader approach to the henchman - with a last fight appearance at the end of the film!

#33 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

I would prefer EoN to cast a fine actor than a physique.

#34 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

Do we want a true "classic" henchman, complete with gimmick? Deadly hat, wristwatch garrote, does not speak, etc.

#35 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

I agree - but it was also due to the very limited screen time.  I welcome a new, broader approach to the henchman - with a last fight appearance at the end of the film!

I would like a henchman that would be pretty cool. Bond has had to face some really deadly ones. Oddjob, Dario from LTK (he was creepy..), Red Grant FRWL and that psycho guy from Tomorrow Never Dies. 

#36 Trip_Aces

Trip_Aces

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

Long time lurker here, but finally had to join as we all eagerly wait for Bond 24!

On the topic of having an "iconic" Bond henchman, I'm all for it! The last couple of Bond films had some good ideas in that regard (Kratt - CR, and Elvis - QoS) but were poorly developed as characters. I think it's about time Craig's Bond squared up against an evenly matched nemesis....

At the same time, I really hope that if they are going the route of a henchman that's supposed iconic and memorable, have it be authentic and not forced (i.e. Stamper, Mr. Kil, Zao).

#37 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

Welcome, Trip Aces. 

I think the main problem with the likes of Zeo is that he is given nothing memorably evil to do - no killings, no big putting-the-villain's--plan-into-action scene, nothing.

We keep being told what bad news he is but seeing nothing. "I'd rather have stayed in prison than have let HIM free!!!" but what do we see him do now that this menace is let lose? Nothing that is inventively diabolical. 

Campare this with the henchmen that the public do remember, Grant, Oddjob, Jaws, Onatopp. All of them are given plenty of killings and working inventively on the villain's plan things to actually be seen doing. 

To make this new villain memorable he has to be seen doing stuff that is memorably villainous. 

#38 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

I think the main problem with the likes of Zeo is that he is given nothing memorably evil to do - no killings, no big putting-the-villain's--plan-into-action scene, nothing.

We keep being told what bad news he is but seeing nothing. "I'd rather have stayed in prison than have let HIM free!!!" but what do we see him do now that this menace is let lose? Nothing that is inventively diabolical. 

They thought embedding diamonds in his face and shaving his head would make him memorable... wrong-o!

#39 Trip_Aces

Trip_Aces

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

Thanks, Shrublands!

I think, apart from the face-embedded-with-diamonds, the idea behind Zao's character was there...just executed terribly.

Henchmen like Oddjob, Red Grant, and others from the 60s-70s era worked because, like you said, they were given something villainous to do; they weren't talked about or getting bogged down with exposition - hopefully the writers for the next Bond flick can conjure up something fun but dastardly along those lines!

Edited by Trip_Aces, 29 August 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#40 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

I want a original henchman that can be remember for a long time like Oddjob and Red Grant........please no carbon copy of the 60s henchman as it won't be the same..... 

#41 GalaSilva

GalaSilva

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

I think August Diehl would make a great henchman. Although his look does not match what they are supposedly looking for, he does have a very distinct look. I feel that his character would be more like Hans, Vargas or Necros

vlcsnap-2011-02-02-23xiuda.jpg

Edited by GalaSilva, 29 August 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#42 SAWfinger

SAWfinger

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

If you go to the latest Newsletter from the JBIFC (www.007info Facebook site), they point out that Mendes and Craig are big fans of Live and Let Die, so... might we see a Tee Hee type character for Bond 24?

#43 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

If you go to the latest Newsletter from the JBIFC (www.007info Facebook site), they point out that Mendes and Craig are big fans of Live and Let Die, so... might we see a Tee Hee type character for Bond 24?

I don't think something "gimmicky" such as a claw arm would fly in today's Bond films, but the character of Tee Hee himself was great and proved to be quite the foe.

#44 SAWfinger

SAWfinger

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

I agree with you there. On the other hand (he, he - sorry), Tee Hee did provide a genuinely tense moment in LALD when he was invited to clip Bond's finger. A Tee Hee-type character (but minus any gimmicky bits), emanating a sense of genuine threat, could be really interesting in Bond 24. Just a thought.

#45 HoneyDiamond

HoneyDiamond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:38 PM

I have to take a wait and see approach to a "classic henchman."  It's hard to judge the concept on itself.  I have liked henchmen before.  Part of me even thinks every good villain should have some version of a henchman.  I just don't want it to be too goofy against Craig.  But I'm optimistic. 

#46 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:00 AM

I didn't mind Stamper. He had a physical presence, and I liked Gotz Otto's performance. 

#47 Trip_Aces

Trip_Aces

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:17 AM

Mr. Stamper was actually pretty cool, and one of the more memorable Bond henchmen of recent memory: physically imposing, did the dirty work for the main baddie, and had the right amount of cheese factor. I'd rank him up there with the classic second-tier henchmen (i.e. Tee Hee, Vargas, Dario, to name a few).

#48 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:51 AM

I agree with you there. On the other hand (he, he - sorry), Tee Hee did provide a genuinely tense moment in LALD when he was invited to clip Bond's finger. A Tee Hee-type character (but minus any gimmicky bits), emanating a sense of genuine threat, could be really interesting in Bond 24. Just a thought.

Very punny  :)

Tee Hee did just ooze "bad", didn't he? In particular, I always loved his delivery of the line aboard the train: "Mr. Bond, it's good to see you again."

#49 SAWfinger

SAWfinger

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

I agree. Personally, I think Julius W. Harris is one of the highlights of LALD - he is a larger-than-life henchman who seems to be enjoying his work; the conversation between Bond and Tee Hee as Tee Hee feeds the crocs and Bond realises he is next on the menu is a great piece of word interplay (thanks to the great Tom Mankiewicz), and Moore looks genuinely worried (he was in real life, too!). And let's not forget Samedi, if you can class him as a 'henchman': Geoffrey Holder as Baron Samedi also turns in a genuinely threatening performance in some key sequences IMHO. It would be great to see the return of a well-defined henchman in Bond 24.

#50 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

This discussion has made me more excited for Bond 24 than anything else. It sounds like they have the pieces together for something really memorable with this one. Good locations, an old school henchman, new Aston Martin, and Daniel on what I assume will be the top of his game. Exciting days ahead!

#51 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:40 AM

Yes please!

LALD had a full plate of memorable henchmen - Tee Hee, Whisper, Adam, and of course Baron Samedi himself (played by master choreographer and 7up pitchman Geoffrey Holder). Mendes should definitely draw some inspiration from that film.

#52 Trip_Aces

Trip_Aces

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:20 AM

Considering Mendes is a fan of LALD, maybe he'll continue to draw up some inspiration for the next film. Here's hoping, anyway, as I'm a fan of the outlandish and supernatural elements that served LALD well.

#53 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:09 AM

I'd like to see a return of a classic henchman because that is something that has been missing and I have faith in Mendes and Craig to do it right.

I am surprised that both of them are "Live and Let Die" fans...I didn't see that coming.

#54 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

I'm hoping the character has a distinguishing feature of some sort. Le Chiffre's weeping blood and Silva's cyanide damaged mouth were grounded elements of the surreal. 

#55 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

I'm hoping the character has a distinguishing feature of some sort. Le Chiffre's weeping blood and Silva's cyanide damaged mouth were grounded elements of the surreal. 

I hoping for this as well, but based in reality. Let's avoid stuff a la metal teeth and steel-lined bowler hats please! Not that I don't love Jaws and Oddjob, but the realism of the rebooted Bond doesn't suit them well.

#56 Trip_Aces

Trip_Aces

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

What kind of grounded-in-reality oddities or physical deformities would be fitting for a modern day henchman, though?

#57 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

sharpshooter already mentioned Le Chiffre and Silva, both good examples if something similar would be applied to a henchman. Something along the lines of Tee Hee, but without the claw, and maybe Zao minus the diamonds in the face - something happens to said henchman in the PTS that physically scars or hinders them, but they find a way to menace Bond throughout the remainder of the film.

#58 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

A classic physical henchman. Cool. Hopefully a big, physical, imposing, threatening presence (with a touch of character). Someone who makes you kind of fear for Bond's safety. Someone who Bond takes one look at and wearily thinks "Oh F***. I have to fight him".

Re Mr. Mendes and Mr. Craig's fondness for LIVE AND LET DIE, it's nice to see that with each passing year, LIVE AND LET DIE inches ever closer to its rightful place at the very top echelon of Bond films.

#59 dirtymind

dirtymind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:06 PM

Sounds like a perfect part for Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson.

#60 Trip_Aces

Trip_Aces

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:48 AM

Agreed on all counts, freemo! It's been a while since the audience has felt Bond's fear of a true physical opponent; whoever they decide to cast needs to give DC a run for his money, and at this stage of the game, he's proven himself of having a worthy adversary to fight: no more of 30 second fisticuffs and skirmishes.. I'd LOVE to see a fight more akin to the climax of Goldfinger where Oddjob and Bond were going at it in Fort Knox.