143 replies to this topic

#121 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

I thought that Bautista was the breakout performance in Guardians of the Galaxy, even more so than Chris Pratt, who nailed it himself.  Sure, he was physically intimidating (the man is HUGE!), but he displayed some real acting chops, especially in his deadpan humor.

That said, I think his performance in Riddick is probably a better indicator of where he would go as a Bond henchman, and he was memorable in that movie, too.

I agree with those who were hoping for a more unique henchman, but Bautista certainly brings a lot of menace and an imposing physical presence  to the role, if it is indeed confirmed as true.

At the very least he will be an enormous improvement over Elvis in QoS!

I've seen all of his films, and he's come a long way, and I agree with you saying he was the breakout performance in Guardians Of The Galaxy. He nailed it!

#122 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:29 PM

Absolutely over the moon for Batista in this role! Sadly for me, this means he won't be back in a WWE ring anytime soon... but being in a Bond movie is a BIG DEAL!

#123 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:36 PM

so Batista could be similar to Harold Sakata being someone who is a former fighter/westler? 

#124 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:58 AM

so Batista could be similar to Harold Sakata being someone who is a former fighter/westler? 

Let's hope so! His athletic ability should present some great possibilities in fight sequences

#125 Trip_Aces

Trip_Aces

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

If Batista's been truly confirmed, I'm stoked. In fact, he was the main standout in GotG for me; can't wait to see what he brings to the role besides his imposing physique and overall menace - dude's got potential, for sure.

#126 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:41 AM

If Batista's been truly confirmed, I'm stoked. In fact, he was the main standout in GotG for me; can't wait to see what he brings to the role besides his imposing physique and overall menace - dude's got potential, for sure.

Agreed.

#127 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

This will be really exciting because it's a reference to the older Bond films. I think it's great that the Craig era is trying to go back to the more traditional Bond films because that is what would separate the Bond films from any other action movie coming out.

#128 Trip_Aces

Trip_Aces

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

This will be really exciting because it's a reference to the older Bond films. I think it's great that the Craig era is trying to go back to the more traditional Bond films because that is what would separate the Bond films from any other action movie coming out.

Definitely agree with that.. I've really missed the flair of the Bond films; it created a certain aesthetic which made those films distinctive from your other run-of-theb-mill action films... But with that said, it looks like we're going back to that tradition where all the Bond staples will be in place with 'Bond 24'.

I also think it's kind of cool how Craig's Bond films are getting progressively more "classic" (a part from QoS, maybe).

#129 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

the fight scenes will be terrific I believe. And I hope, without shaking camera

#130 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:27 AM

Great news on Batista. He would easily be the most physically imposing Bond hench-person since....let's see...

...Jaws, I believe. or mayyyybe Gobinda. 

I don't count Stamper, he was a weak character in the Grant/Hans/Krieger mold of Big Blonde Bond Baddies. 

#131 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

Definitely agree with that.. I've really missed the flair of the Bond films; it created a certain aesthetic which made those films distinctive from your other run-of-theb-mill action films... But with that said, it looks like we're going back to that tradition where all the Bond staples will be in place with 'Bond 24'.

I also think it's kind of cool how Craig's Bond films are getting progressively more "classic" (a part from QoS, maybe).

Perfectly said Trip_Aces. Perfectly said.

It's that "aesthetic" if you will, that was missing for many years, and which they seem to be keen on recapturing. It's subtle, nuanced and requires a certain savoir faire to produce on film. Not everyone knows how to do it. I think Craig really helps here because he has gone back and really pored through the material. I think Mendes is the same way, which is why they wanted him back so badly.

#132 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

Would it be a bad thing to see Craig's Bond get dominated physically by Batista's, or even to a draw, and he'll have to go to the Connery-Bond vs. Oddjob approach of using his wits to defeat the enemy rather than rely purely on brawn? I think it would add to the character without the need to see him always win. 

#133 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

I´d like to see him loose repeatedly (Bond). And keep him (Bautista) alive for the next one. Should make for an excellent running joke (without it actually being, you know, a joke).

#134 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

Would it be a bad thing to see Craig's Bond get dominated physically by Batista's, or even to a draw, and he'll have to go to the Connery-Bond vs. Oddjob approach of using his wits to defeat the enemy rather than rely purely on brawn? I think it would add to the character without the need to see him always win. 

That's what I'd like to see. 

#135 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

I´d like to see him loose repeatedly (Bond). And keep him (Bautista) alive for the next one. Should make for an excellent running joke (without it actually being, you know, a joke).

The thing is, would Michael and barbara go for that ? :D

#136 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

The thing is, would Michael and barbara go for that ? :D

I could see them being on board but I'm not so sure about Mendes, Logan, P&W.

#137 GardenerJames..Gardener

GardenerJames..Gardener

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:43 PM

If Dave is a one off bodyguard for ESB...then they could get the mountain to be his full time body guard :)

#138 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

If Dave is a one off bodyguard for ESB...then they could get the mountain to be his full time body guard :)

The mountain from Game of Thrones?

#139 GardenerJames..Gardener

GardenerJames..Gardener

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:01 PM

Yup the question would be which one :)

#140 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:46 AM

I was just watching Haywire tonight, and I think Gina Carano would be great as a baddie - sort of an American Onatopp......in fact she does not have to speak and then she could be any nationality.

She was kick ass in Haywire - busted up both Fassbender and Tatum in that movie. Would love to see her kick Craig's Bond's butt.

Edited by bondjames, 02 November 2014 - 12:48 AM.

#141 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:49 AM

I was just watching Haywire tonight, and I think Gina Carano would be great as a baddie - sort of an American Onatopp......in fact she does not have to speak and then she could be any nationality.

She was kick ass in Haywire - busted up both Fassbender and Tatum in that movie. Would love to see her kick Craig's Bond's butt.

I'm 100% with you on this.  I was really hoping that she would get the gig for Bond 24.  Interestingly enough, she's actually currently working on a film with Dave Batista, our supposed Bond 24 henchman.

#142 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:59 AM

I'm 100% with you on this.  I was really hoping that she would get the gig for Bond 24.  Interestingly enough, she's actually currently working on a film with Dave Batista, our supposed Bond 24 henchman.

I didn't know she's working with Batista.... Anyway, here's to hoping, if not for Bond 24, then for 25. She'd be perfect to go up against Craig's Bond. I'm pretty sure Marvel or DC will pick her up for one of their baddies soon enough.

#143 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:39 AM

I didn't know she's working with Batista.... Anyway, here's to hoping, if not for Bond 24, then for 25. She'd be perfect to go up against Craig's Bond. I'm pretty sure Marvel or DC will pick her up for one of their baddies soon enough.

I didn't know either until I read one of the articles surrounding Bautista's rumored casting in Bond 24.  The film is called Bust 657, with Carano and Bautista starring alongside Robert De Niro and Kate Bosworth.

And, I agree, I really hope they cast her in a Craig Bond film.  

#144 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:22 AM

Great news on Batista. He would easily be the most physically imposing Bond hench-person since....let's see...

...Jaws, I believe. or mayyyybe Gobinda. 

I don't count Stamper, he was a weak character in the Grant/Hans/Krieger mold of Big Blonde Bond Baddies. 

amazing it took just three movies after Grant to make the first Grant clone!