This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Ideal Bond Directors - POLL ADDED

612 replies to this topic

Poll: The 'ideal' director for Bond 2X

First of all: would you welcome Sam Mendes for BOND 25 - provided the Fed can print enough cash to lure him back?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If not Mendes, which new director would you like for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:35 AM

The problem with Nolan is that he'd want to co-produce with his wife and their company, and that would not be welcome.  Also, he writes or co-writes all of his films, and that probably wouldn't happen, either.  While directors do some rewriting, no director has ever gotten a writing credit on a Bond film.

Wasn't Tyldum heavily rumored before Mendes signed back on?  Also, agreed with those who say that Mendes has first dibs on Craig's remaining Bonds.

I half expect and have a bad feeling the producers will offer it to Tom Hooper at some point, because he's won an Oscar and because he's genre-hopped (sports movie to historical biographical drama to Broadway musical adaptation) with enough success to come off as versatile, though he's more of a journeyman director who's good with actors for the most part and picks projects well.  Being a journeyman, as it were, can only help his case with EON, as he won't try to rebrand it under his own stylistic umbrella the way a Tarantino or Scorsese might.  In other words, he's not the kind of director who has a visionary, distinctive style that would threaten to overtake a Bond picture.  Personally, I hope it doesn't come to pass, as I couldn't take his Dutch angles and muted color palette (the few stylistic touches that he has made consistently his own).

Dave

#62 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

The problem with Nolan is that he'd want to co-produce with his wife and their company, and that would not be welcome.  Also, he writes or co-writes all of his films, and that probably wouldn't happen, either.  While directors do some rewriting, no director has ever gotten a writing credit on a Bond film.

I think Nolan's smart enough to appreciate Eon's tradition as sole producer. If he's a fan, which he is, he won't throw his toys out of the pram over it - it's a unique job. Sure he'd want to be part of the script and could well want a writing credit if it's a big enough contribution, but i don't see Eon having any problem with that.

#63 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:51 AM

Interesting words from Christopher Nolan about Bond. Certainly not ruling himself out in future.

I’ve heard that you’re a big fan of the Bond films, and I think it would be great to see you direct one of those.
"I love James Bond and I’ve talked with the producers over the years, but nothing’s ever worked out. They do a great job—they don’t need me right now, and Sam [Mendes] is an extraordinary talent. I will absolutely be first in line to see the next Bond film as I have been for all of them."

#64 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:16 AM

I must say I have changed my opinion on this.  I do think Nolan would be a great Bond director, and I believe he will be asked to direct the next Bond - should Mendes have enough after two.

#65 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:07 PM

I think Mendes will be finishing up Craig's tenure as Bond, don't know why, but I've got a pretty good feeling.

I used to say no towards Nolan directing a Bond film in the past, but after seeing Interstellar, I wouldn't mind it, though he's not my go to director. He can direct big budget films for sure, but I'd like to see him do something smaller, like Memento or The Prestige in terms of scope. Something more basic. If he does and it turns out to be a great success, then I don't see as to why not.

He's even said that he's a Bond fan himself and hasn't ruled it out either,. in terms of being involved with a future Bond film.

#66 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

I must say I have changed my opinion on this.  I do think Nolan would be a great Bond director, and I believe he will be asked to direct the next Bond - should Mendes have enough after two.

I don't doubt that he'll be the next director asked after Mendes, although I must say that I really hope that it turns out not to be the case.  There are quite a few other directors I'd rather see get the job than Nolan.

#67 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:33 AM

I want to say Matthew Vaughn. The early scenes of Magneto going around Europe in X Men First Class feel like they came straight out of a 60's Bond film. Plus he already showed with Layer Cake that he works well with Craig.

#68 Zen Razor

Zen Razor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:27 AM

I see absolutely no issues with casting Nolan to directed a Bond film the only issue I feel it would have it Bond will grow a lot of haters for it. I don't know why Nolan is hated so much after all his films are great for example Memento. Not to mention Nolan loves shooting in 65mm so he can always make Bond films looks triple A even though they already are he can give it a more cinematic feel. I'm sure he would cast Hans Zimmer for the score. The only good thing about Bond films now is Bond is known for hiring underrated and underappreciated actors. That way they won't get as much controversy anyways I don't many directors on my mind but I agree with Nolan he can give it a shot.

#69 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:04 AM

With Skyfall and now presumably Bond 24 being shot digitally, If Nolan would to film Bond, it would look great in 65-70mm, plus it would pop in IMAX. He certainly does know how to give his film a large scope and an epic feel, and I believe he can do that with Bond. Years ago, I dismissed Zimmer scoring a Bond film, but after listening to the deluxe edition score for Interstellar, I am open to Zimmer scoring a Bond film, whether Nolan is involved or not.

#70 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

I think the issue people would have with Nolan are the same faults that are brought up: overlong, plots sometimes confusing and dialogue too on-the-nose as a result (i.e. characters having to explain the stakes).  Likewise he admits to eliminating subtext, preferring sometimes to spell things out in dialogue.  He does some amazing things but also some criticized habits that never seem to cease.

I'm on the fence.  He can do spectacle but he'd need to be reigned in in some other key areas.

Dave

#71 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:56 PM

Memento is the best Nolan flick I've seen, and it was merely average. The flying rodent flicks, etc. are all pompous gasbags of hot air. Keep Nolan far from the Bond franchise!

#72 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:39 AM

If SPECTRE turns out to be as dark and dramatic as SF was, than no Nolan please. We will want someone with a lighter touch. Not Guy Hamilton light, but...lighter.

#73 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:45 PM

My vote goes for Matthew Vaughn, too. I think if 'Kingsman the Secret Service' goes down pretty well then he might be a serious contender next time around. it's basically a CV for directing a James Bond film anyway. Really looking forward it. 

#74 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:47 PM

I think Vaughn is a good director, but has a history of pulling out of projects when things don't really tend to go in his favor. Kick-Ass 2, Layer Cake sequel, X-Men: Days Of Future Past.

Plus Kingsman looks beyond silly.

#75 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:23 PM

It does look totally tongue in cheek. I think it looks really cool, personally. There's a difference between silly and silly done right. To quote Mr Firth himself...

"Give me a far fetched, theatrical plot any day."

...It knows completely what it's doing. I'm confident it's going to be just that. A spy film that doesn't take itself too seriously. Just complete fun. How Die Another Day should've been. 

Edited by DamnCoffee, 11 December 2014 - 11:26 PM.

#76 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:33 AM

Morten Tyldum would be my easy favourite, followed by Tom Hooper, Nicolas Winding Refn or perhaps Christopher Nolan.

#77 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:47 AM

Morten Tyldum would be my easy favourite, followed by Tom Hooper, Nicolas Winding Refn or perhaps Christopher Nolan.

Some good choices. Tydium would be interesting, but Hooper is not a good fit for me at this point. My wet dream is a Refn Bond, but that's as likely as a white christmas in the Sahara. The obvious name has been Nolan for some time now and i'd say he's a shoe-in to succeed Mendes.

Perhaps if Hardy were the 7th Bond we'd then get Refn too (they have illustrious history together with the magnificent 'Bronson'), since i'm sure they'd only snag Hardy if such strings were attached.

But it's unlikely Hardy, will choose being nailed to Bond over the variety of top tier scripts he's no doubt receiving daily and the plethora of Oscars with his name on them. So, no Refn, sadly.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 12 December 2014 - 07:50 AM.

#78 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

I want to say Matthew Vaughn. The early scenes of Magneto going around Europe in X Men First Class feel like they came straight out of a 60's Bond film. Plus he already showed with Layer Cake that he works well with Craig.

I read somewhere that the producers were thinking about Vaughn to be a director and so watched Layer Cake.  Instead, Barbara came out of it wanting Daniel Craig to be the next Bond actor.

#79 Sutter Cane

Sutter Cane

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

I honestly have to go with the cliche answer of Christopher Nolan as my first choice. His action sequences are clearly Bond inspired (with the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises taken straight from License to Kill), and I think he has a directorial style that would lend itself very well to the direction the series has gone with since the reboot.

I'd also like t put forward Gary Mckendry whose work I really enjoyed on Killer Elite (even if not many other people agreed with me)

Someone near the beginning of the thread mentioned Shane Black, which would certainly be an interesting. I personally don't want to see him in the director's seat at this point in time, but he would be a fantastic choice for a Roger Moore style Bond picture.

#80 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:33 AM

Someone near the beginning of the thread mentioned Shane Black, which would certainly be an interesting. I personally don't want to see him in the director's seat at this point in time, but he would be a fantastic choice for a Roger Moore style Bond picture.

It was reported fairly widely around 18 months ago, before Mendes returned, that Shane Black had met the producers. I really don't have much to go on, but it's an interesting thought. Hooper, Winding Refn, Tyldum and Black would each have brought something very different to the table.

#81 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:14 AM

For, Shane Black's not bad as a director. Better as a writer however. I can definitely see Refn bringing something new to the table, maybe not so much for Hooper. Then again, I wasn't expecting a drama director like Mendes to really nail a Bond film down to a T.

#82 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

I don't think the Bond franchise could do better than Johnnie To.

Why Tyldum? The Imitation Game is standard-fare Oscar-bait, with fairly humdrum direction.

#83 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:04 AM

Why Tyldum? The Imitation Game is standard-fare Oscar-bait, with fairly humdrum direction.
Based on HEADHUNTERS more than anything. In my book, very few action thrillers have rattled along so satisfyingly over the past few years.

#84 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:09 AM

I don't think the Bond franchise could do better than Johnnie To.

I recently saw it and thought it was actually very good for being a standard Oscar Bait film. Other than that, I don't think he'd bring anything to the table regarding Bond.

#85 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:50 AM

The ideal Bond director would bring nothing to the table EXCEPT humdrum direction. That's the beauty of these films and of that roster of names. It's just so... pure...

Nolan's films are visual mud and tip right into unwatchable. A Nolan Bond movie would be the first I skip in theatres since LTK. He shouldn't be encouraged!

#86 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:37 AM

I honestly have to go with the cliche answer of Christopher Nolan as my first choice. His action sequences are clearly Bond inspired (with the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises taken straight from License to Kill), and I think he has a directorial style that would lend itself very well to the direction the series has gone with since the reboot.

This is the exact reason why Nolan shouldn't direct a Bond film.  He wouldn't bring much of anything new to the table, as a lot of what he already does is itself inspired by the Bond film.  The director who follows after Mendes needs to bring something fresh, as all directors do, not just a rehash of what we've seen previously.

The ideal Bond director would bring nothing to the table EXCEPT humdrum direction. That's the beauty of these films and of that roster of names. It's just so... pure...

And this is exactly the wrong approach to hiring a director.  The series should never aspire to "humdrum" direction, especially now that they've proven that they can bring in A-list talent.

#87 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

I wonder if the first director of the post Craig era will be someone who has done Bond before? I suspect it will be, in which case Martin Campbell would be as good a candidate as any. Twice he's taken over for a Bond actor's first movie and did a good job with both, imho. As for the next film, I think I'd go for Christopher Nolan. And I don't think it would be a problem if Spectre turned out to be the first part of a two story arc. We've been there before - CR (Campbell), QoS (Forster).

We've never had a female director for a Bond film, and there are women out there who direct big movies. Kathryn Bigelow, for example?

#88 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

Campbell - well, he´s not getting younger.  And the physical demands of such a behemoth production might prove too much for a man in his mid-70´s.

Nolan - I would want to see that.

Bigelow - yes, a female director for Bond would be wonderful.

#89 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

Bigelow would make a solid movie (not least because she'd probably get advice from her ex-husband action-maistro James Cameron).

But another female director i fear  may soon leap-frog her is Sam Taylor-Johnson by simple virtue of her directing the fourth coming 50 Shades of Grey...

I say 'fear'  because she's made nothing that really distinguishes her - she's nowhere near the level of Mendes, Campbell and other names in the mix, including Bigelow.

However, 50 Shades  is as close to a guaranteed mega-box office success as it gets, with it's legions of sycophant fans that'll see it twice on the big screen, VOD and buy the blu-ray. Look at the Dan Brown novel adaptations - all very mediocre and far more successful than they deserve because of the ready made reader fan base.

After 50 Shades she'll be top of Sony's list - the major publicity of it will be very attractive. Add to that that she already has a relationship with Barbara Brocolli, who produced her short film James Bond Supports International Women's Day.

And if she were to get the gig she may even bring her own Bond; either her husband Aaron Taylor-Johnson, or her star of 50 Shades  Jamie Dornan. Dornan would be Sony's choice after 50 Shades and in all honesty he made a half-decent case in the 2nd series of the BBC serial killer drama The Fall.

So what i'm saying is that on the subject of female Bond directors i don't want Johnson to direct Bond (unless she reveals major talent in 50 Shades, which seems unlikely after seeing the cheesorama trailer - Bigelow could make a far better Bond movie), but if your a betting man the odds in the 'mare stakes' seem heavily in favour of Johnson.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 11 January 2015 - 12:43 PM.

#90 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

Based on HEADHUNTERS more than anything. In my book, very few action thrillers have rattled along so satisfyingly over the past few years.

Ah. I've seen Headhunters, but didn't realize it was by the same director. Still, it appeared to me that to the extent Headhunter worked, it was more because of its script than Tyldum's direction. Still, I would have taken a wait-and-see stance regarding Tyldum if I hadn't seen Imitation Game, which is so uninspiring (particularly from a directorial standpoint).

That said, I imagine someone like Tyldum would be on EON's list. But I'd hope they'd stay away from his ilk in this post-Mendes franchise.