This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Ideal Bond Directors - POLL ADDED

612 replies to this topic

Poll: The 'ideal' director for Bond 2X

First of all: would you welcome Sam Mendes for BOND 25 - provided the Fed can print enough cash to lure him back?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If not Mendes, which new director would you like for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 AdaShelby

AdaShelby

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:35 AM

Why not give Justin Chadwick a chance? He directed Long Walk To Freedom (in which Naomie Harris starred) and some episodes of Spooks.

#122 KB 007

KB 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:21 AM

Somebody may have aleady mentioned him, but Matthew Vaughn.

#123 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

The Raid was decent at best, and the sequel was too long and played on the same tricks without trying to be inventive. It was nothing but the same thing I've seen or been accustomed to with foreign action films (specifically from Asia), just martial arts scenes and iffy editing. Been there, done that feats.

Wow, that's an opinion which is pretty unique for such a lauded film and even more lauded sequel. Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.

On a personal note, as an editor myself i find The Raid films to have very good editing - the pacing is perfect, while the action is exciting without losing it's geography, but what do i know :)

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 19 January 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#124 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:04 PM

David Fincher, Steve McQueen, James Gunn (not saying that I would like a superhero Bond film, but purely based on how fun I found Guardians of the Galaxy, whilst being genuinely enthralled by the action sequences) would all be rather interesting. I feel Matthew Vaughn would be my top choice though. Let's see how Kingsman plays out, because if that's any good then his chance of doing a Bond film would be much higher. 

Edited by DamnCoffee, 19 January 2015 - 02:06 PM.

#125 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:38 PM

The Raid was decent at best, and the sequel was too long and played on the same tricks without trying to be inventive. It was nothing but the same thing I've seen or been accustomed to with foreign action films (specifically from Asia), just martial arts scenes and iffy editing. Been there, done that feats.

Wow, that's an opinion which is pretty unique for such a lauded film and even more lauded sequel. Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.

On a personal note, as an editor myself i find The Raid films to have very good editing - the pacing is perfect, while the action is exciting without losing it's geography, but what do i know :)

Just because it's lauded, doesn't mean I have to like it.

#126 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

Of course you don't. It just means that everyone else did.

#127 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Nope. Hated it too.

There's a few of us out there, believe it or not. :)

#128 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

Nope. Hated it too.

There's a few of us out there, believe it or not. :)
Glad I'm not alone, Shark.

#129 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

Why Tyldum? The Imitation Game is standard-fare Oscar-bait, with fairly humdrum direction.

Based on HEADHUNTERS more than anything. In my book, very few action thrillers have rattled along so satisfyingly over the past few years.

Ah. I've seen Headhunters, but didn't realize it was by the same director. Still, it appeared to me that to the extent Headhunter worked, it was more because of its script than Tyldum's direction. Still, I would have taken a wait-and-see stance regarding Tyldum if I hadn't seen Imitation Game, which is so uninspiring (particularly from a directorial standpoint).

That said, I imagine someone like Tyldum would be on EON's list. But I'd hope they'd stay away from his ilk in this post-Mendes franchise.

I watched The Imitation Game and I still think Tyldum would be good for Bond, the dislike of the film is lost to me.

#130 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

I guess I can finally let go of my dream of Michael Mann helming a Bond film (not that it was going to happen anyway) after Blackhat completely tanked at the box office.  Have to wonder if we're going to see much more from Mann at all, since Blackhat was his first film in six years and only his third since Collateral and he's now into his 70s.

Still hoping for either Kathryn Bigelow or Ben Affleck to get a shot at directing Bond.  I think either would do a tremendous job with it, although both at this point both of them are probably longshots for the gig.

#131 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:10 PM

Blackhat is terrific, but Mann's current style is probably too abstract and impressionistic for Bond.

#132 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

What's Lee Tamahori up to these days?  :P  ;)

#133 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:56 PM

More like, what's he into these days.  :blink:

#134 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

Other than the wearing women's clothing and propositioning Policemen?

#135 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

DAD is very UNDERRATED bond movie.

It starts off well, but I think it's severely derailed by it's 3rd act.

#136 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

DAD is a very UNDERRATED bond movie sleep aid.

FIFY

#137 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

Other than the wearing women's clothing and propositioning Policemen?

;)

#138 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:25 PM

I watched it again recently. Somehow it had got worse.

#139 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

I wonder if a rewatching is merited?

#140 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:40 PM

Not sure I'd necessarily I'd advise it. It was mainly Brosnan's performance that appalled me. The icesurfing scene hasn't improved either.

I put myself through the experience to try to give some of the weaker films the benefit of the doubt. Probably shouldn't have.

#141 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:19 AM

I'd guess probably not.  If anything, Die Another Day is actually overrated.  I think it's even worse than its reputation would suggest.

#142 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:43 AM

It's always worth revisiting some your least favourite Bonds. One thing I always hear is that TWINE is much better than people remember.

#143 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:26 AM

Die Another Day isn't great, by any means, but I think it has its moments (mostly in the first half, rather than the second). Holds up better than the two films preceding it.

#144 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:38 AM

Die Another Day isn't great, by any means, but I think it has its moments (mostly in the first half, rather than the second). Holds up better than the two films preceding it.

I like it more than TWINE, that's for sure. However I quite like TND, and these days think it's probably Brosnan's best Bond film.

#145 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:19 AM

DAD is MUCH better than QOS (worst bond movie ever).

I disagree with your opinion, whilst not as good as CR & SF, it's a lot better than it was given credit for at the time. Had the writers strike not happened, I think it could have had the extra polish needed to be one of the greats

#146 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:24 AM

It already is one of the greats as far as I'm concerned.  Brilliant performance by Craig as Bond (his best of the three), terrific Bond girls, and an extremely underrated scheme by the villain, along with some of the very best moments in the entire franchise sprinkled throughout the film make it one of the best films in the entire franchise. 

DIE ANOTHER DAY is not just a terrible Bond film, but a terrible film in general.  It has very few, if any, redeeming qualities.

#147 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

That's that solved, then.

#148 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

Craig is the worst BOND actor ever & QOS is the worst BOND movie ever.

Can you please stop posting your OPINION as FACT. You're entitled to your opinion, as is everyone on this board, but to put it as such a blunt statement is uncalled for. Whilst not alone in your opinion, it is definitely a minority view - which doesn't make it any the less valid as a personal opinion.

Writing it as a solid fact sours peoples opinions of you, and makes it look like that you have no respect for the opinions of others.

#149 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

Craig is the worst BOND actor ever & QOS is the worst BOND movie ever.

Can you please stop posting your OPINION as FACT. You're entitled to your opinion, as is everyone on this board, but to put it as such a blunt statement is uncalled for. Whilst not alone in your opinion, it is definitely a minority view - which doesn't make it any the less valid as a personal opinion.

Writing it as a solid fact sours peoples opinions of you, and makes it look like that you have no respect for the opinions of others.

I have to agree with JCRendle! Cheer up m194 :)

#150 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

For me QoS  has some great sequences and aspects. Craig's performance is top draw (as always). The opera scene, particularly the shoot out is one of the best sequences in the whole franchise.

The final goodbye to Greene; sending him off with a can of oil to drink is classy writing (and hints at what might have been had a writer's strike not prevented the whole script having a final draft).

And the epilogue with Vesper's 'lover' and trudge off into the snow was again pure class. What a shame they didn't keep Forster's original ending in which Mr White guns down Bond as he walks away. Fleming's novel's have a few great cliffhangers and it makes the next instalment that much more exciting.

But, at face value i understand the criticism of QoS, but this is our loss, since there is indeed a Bond Great in there if only the strike hadn't left the script unfinished with half a realised villain, henchman and plotting. What sticks out most of all as a consequence of the writer's strike (surely!) is the aeroplane action scene in which Bond inexplicably free-falls (almost as daft as the kite-surfing in DAD) into a 'sink hole' which just happens to contain the answer to all of the questions regarding Greene's plot - a hidden reservoir. This is some pretty lame writing, but that's why writers are paid well.

Had the strike not happened i imagine that great plot-sink-hole would've been ironed out, as would the other niggles and Greene and his toupeed henchman fleshed out into fully formed characters rather than exposition-laden villain archetypes (that's how they been written in the first draft - pushing the story along before going back to them and working out what makes them tick as unique individuals and working out how this can be best conveyed in the action, or if necessary in cumbersome stand-alone scenes.

In short there's much greatness in QoS  and it's shortcomings scream of a rough-draft blocking in script. Focus on what's good in the movie - my choices are above - and imagine the whole film redone that way and i'm sure you're nearer what was intended, before the strike.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 21 January 2015 - 12:18 PM.