This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Ideal Bond Directors - POLL ADDED

612 replies to this topic

Poll: The 'ideal' director for Bond 2X

First of all: would you welcome Sam Mendes for BOND 25 - provided the Fed can print enough cash to lure him back?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If not Mendes, which new director would you like for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

Yes, he's probably still a bit too unproven at this stage to be given Bond, but I imagine he's there or thereabouts on EON's radar.

The Scandinavian thing appears to be very trendy at the moment, so I wonder whether Tomas Alfredson is also a possibility. TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY presumably, in part, inspired the choice of Hoyte van Hoytema for SPECTRE, so I guess it's viable.

#92 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

Alfredson seems a very plausible choice (and he'd probably do reasonably well). I liked Tinker Tailor quite a bit. I'd certainly take him over the likes of Christopher Nolan, Tom Hooper, or Danny Boyle.

Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Enemy) would be an interesting choice.

#93 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

I was campaigning for Bigalow to do SF, she is also getting older isn't she? I thought she was like 66...

I think Nolan would be great but he is still young and still has things he can prove to the none believers. Wonder what his next film will be... He should do a WWII film, why not?...

#94 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

Alfredson's a very good filmmaker - Let The Right One In  was pretty perfect.  

But for me Tinker, Tailer... was great until the final reel, when it seemed rushed - lots of 'umming and r-ing' and then "Oh, yes, the mole is so and so".

What was a slow burn progression for Alec Guinness' Smiley was a mood piece for Oldman, in which his decision on the mole's identity was conveyed by a long, moodily lit moment in an armchair. IMO a copout, basically.

Sure, that's down to the script and Let Alfredson direction was otherwise wonderful, but hashing the final revelation in a mystery is a pretty major error for a director to make - he'd read the script and should've seen that coming if he's worth his salt.

I think artistically he's a major talent, but i'd like to see him cut his teeth some more on plotted scripts before being handed Bond. Same could be said for Nicholas Winding Refn, who'd i'd love to see helm Bond eventually.

Having proven his skill at period pieces Alfredson would be ideal for a cold war Harry Palmer movie with new young actor.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 11 January 2015 - 08:19 PM.

#95 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

Alfredson's a very good filmmaker - Let The Right One In  was pretty perfect.  

Love this film and book :D

#96 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

Despite gaining my initial support, I've come to think that Winding Refn is a bit crap. Valhalla Rising is one of the worst films I've ever seen (and Only God Forgives is pretty awful, too).

#97 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:21 PM

Despite gaining my initial support, I've come to think that Winding Refn is a bit crap. Valhalla Rising is one of the worst films I've ever seen (and Only God Forgives is pretty awful, too).

I haven't seen Valhalla Rising, but I'm in full agreement on Only God Forgives.  

Quite frankly, I've never understood all of the support for Winding Refn as a Bond director.

#98 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

Refn is in a class of his own in terms of aesthetics. He's visually, tonally the most impressive filmmaker to emerge since David Lynch. His ability to conjure an atmosphere that, in and of itself is utterly compelling has no rival.

Also his work his actors in achieving iconaclastic performance that are instant classics is very very impressive: Tom Hardy's Bronson; Mads Mikkelsen's One-Eye from Valhalla Rising; Gosling's  Driver...

But he's obviously far more interested in aesthetics, ambience and mood, than in script and plotting. But i think the latter will improve, since he's been pretty much embraced by Hollywood after Driver  (one of the most perfect movie ever made) and can adapt to the mainstream audience's plot-driven expectations (as shown with Driver).

As stunningly atmospheric and foreboding as Only God Forgives  was, it showed an unwillingness to conform to that mainstream audience at this time. But when he does he'll be the hottest and most formidable director since Kubrick. His next movie is a Horror and that genre (like comedy) has certain rules, so it'll be interesting to see if he follows them.

If he gets the Bond gig now then all bets are off, but in a few years time he could well give us the best Bond ever.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 12 January 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#99 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:02 PM

Michael Bay to write & direct.

tumblr_ni2kf2fduc1rv0z1no1_500.jpg

#100 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

Refn is in a class of his own in terms of aesthetics. He's visually, tonally the most impressive filmmaker to emerge since David Lynch. His ability to conjure an atmosphere that, in and of itself is utterly compelling has no rival.

Also his work his actors in achieving iconaclastic performance that are instant classics is very very impressive: Tom Hardy's Bronson; Mads Mikkelsen's One-Eye from Valhalla Rising; Gosling's  Driver...

But he's obviously far more interested in aesthetics, ambience and mood, than in script and plotting. But i think the latter will improve, since he's been pretty much embraced by Hollywood after Driver  (one of the most perfect movie ever made) and can adapt to the mainstream audience's plot-driven expectations (as shown with Driver).

As stunningly atmospheric and foreboding as Only God Forgives  was, it showed an unwillingness to conform to that mainstream audience at this time. But when he does he'll be the hottest and most formidable director since Kubrick. His next movie is a Horror and that genre (like comedy) has certain rules, so it'll be interesting to see if he follows them.

If he gets the Bond gig now then all bets are off, but in a few years time he could well give us the best Bond ever.

Well said.

#101 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

I don't agree with any of that. Winding Refn's aesthetics are sleek but lifeless, mostly cribbed from other, better filmmakers.

Making matters worse, he's a nasty sadist.

#102 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

Only a triple?

#103 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

Making matters worse, he's a nasty sadist.

Perfectly qualified, then ;)

#104 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:08 PM

Only a triple?

rsz_2b9db95_353500.jpg

Facepalm overload

#105 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

Brilliant.  ;)  :)

#106 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

#107 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

Michael Bay...LOT S**T

#108 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:28 PM

Michael Bay...LOT S**T

:D

It is amazing, though, how someone who directed such a great action film in The Rock could consistently turn out the garbage that Bay does. 

#109 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:37 PM

Is there any good ACTION director(s) in hollywood or europe...? (to direct and maybe write BOND movie)?

There are plenty in Asia. Johnnie To is the best action filmmaker working today.

In Hollywood or Europe? I dunno.

#110 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

Is there any good ACTION director(s) in hollywood or europe...? (to direct and maybe write BOND movie)?

There are plenty in Asia. Johnnie To is the best action filmmaker working today.

Action directors that could mix decent action with good plot and well directed drama? I can't think of anyone. A director who can work a good drama with decent action? Possibly Spielberg - but highly unlikely for a Bond film.

#111 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:50 PM

Google would be a valuable resource.

#112 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:39 PM

I already looked. There aren't any Western action films from the last five years that marry exceptional action with a good handle on drama. I can think of a good many films that do well at one or the other, but none that excel at both.

#113 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:42 PM

I'd rather a Bond film that was higher on the dramatic side, and less action, rather than an action film that lacked on the drama. 

#114 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:50 PM

I think EON will be loathe to farm out the writing responsibilities, given apparent issues with SPECTRE. Messrs Purvis and Wade will probably take on the bulk of it for the next couple, perhaps with input from various script polishers.

#115 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:17 AM

I already looked. There aren't any Western action films from the last five years that marry exceptional action with a good handle on drama. I can think of a good many films that do well at one or the other, but none that excel at both.

My, admitedly, somewhat sarcastic remark wasn't aimed at your post.  Sorry if it seemed that way.

#116 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:03 AM

I think EON will be loathe to farm out the writing responsibilities, given apparent issues with SPECTRE. Messrs Purvis and Wade will probably take on the bulk of it for the next couple, perhaps with input from various script polishers.

Yes I agree with this. Purvis & Wade will be involved as long as the movies are successful but they will work with others.

I'll agree with others on here and say that they would have to consider Tomas Alfredson after his work on Tinker Tailor...

#117 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

Speaking of Asia, Gareth Evans, despite being Welsh has made his last 2 movies in Asia and boy have they been good!

The Raid  and in particular The Raid 2  are astounding accomplishments. The Raid 2 is the best action movie i've seen in many years. On top of that it has a good plot that moves well, adds up logically and in a satisfying way.

He'd made a great Bond movie, but perhaps he's the ideal man to introduce a new, younger Bond in ferocious style once Craig hangs up his PPK.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 13 January 2015 - 11:54 AM.

#118 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:50 AM

Shane Black - probably the best screenwriter of Hollywood action movies ever. Now he also directs very well too - Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Iron Man 3 (highest grossing film of the year and damned good too)

Best Hollywood action director ever was Die Hard director  John McTiernan

However, Eon never takes the 'big action director' route, but if they did then Black's the man.

#119 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

I thought of Evans, but I'm not convinced he's a good fit. Maybe if he had more films to his name.

I'm not a big fan of Shane Black.

I love McTiernan, but he's been out of the game for a while. I'd like to see if he still has what it takes.

#120 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:22 AM

The Raid was decent at best, and the sequel was too long and played on the same tricks without trying to be inventive. It was nothing but the same thing I've seen or been accustomed to with foreign action films (specifically from Asia), just martial arts scenes and iffy editing. Been there, done that feats.