2005 replies to this topic

#1861 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:06 AM

It was alright. Stuart Milligan was bugger all like Richard Nixon, though.

Just alright? Now tell me the scene by the lake don't have you going?

#1862 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:21 AM

Nah. I have a heart of stone. He obviously isn't going to stay dead anyway.

#1863 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:02 AM

lol

#1864 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:37 AM

Brilliant start. This is my Doctor Who.

#1865 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

Great start to the new series. :tup:

#1866 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

Quite.

Why, oh why? So cheap and unecessary.

"Okay, how do we start the new series with a bang?"

"Haven't a clue"

"Anyone?"

Heads shaken around the room, glum, uncreative faces looking embarrassingly down at their notes.

"Okay, then." Heavy sigh. "We'll just do the faux regeneration again." Heads raise in surprise. "But this time we'll actually kill 'im".

"But we can't"

"Course we can. Timey-wimey [censored] again."

"Not very original is it, though?"

"We work for the BBC in an outpost in Cardiff. This isn't Hollywood or James Bond. What do you expect, expensively-paid creative thinking?"

#1867 Iroquois

Iroquois

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:18 PM

I really enjoyed that episode. "The Silence" are such a wonderfully creepy concept. Steven Moffat is definitely one of my favourite writers.

Matt Smith also continued to impress, his delivery is absolutely brilliant, and he is completely believable as an ancient time traveller, the fact that he is also the youngest Doctor makes this so much more impressive. He is indeed my Doctor.

I actually thought the doctor's death, while we have seen it before, was done much more creatively than in the past as it's changed the dynamic between the Doctor and his companions. Still, we don't know how it's going to pay off yet, but Moffat always manages to amaze me so I am certainly looking forward to next episode.

#1868 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:30 AM

He obviously isn't going to stay dead anyway.

That can be said of any plot narrative, though. The universe imploding on itself or whatever else.

I gather this season will be more about secrets and decision making. The drama in that.

#1869 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:33 AM

Pretty good start to the new series all round I thought, tho I agree, Nixon was lacking somewhat...
Now, if only I could get BBC America in HD...

#1870 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

I'm surprised the Harkinness hasn't posted on this thread yet, considering how mind-blowing The Impossible Astronaut was, for me...

How're they gonna end this?

#1871 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

I did, See post 1875. :P

Although, I've yet to post my full review.

The Impossible Astronaut
This is not a review as such, it's more incoherent nonsense. :P

Anyway, I feel that this episode is probably one of the strongest opening episodes of the revived series. I find it brave to begin with a two parter. This whole episode is visually stunning. I love the exterior shots, even though there wasn't much (I expect Day of the Moon to deliver on this)

The first 10 minutes are very gripping, I love the renditions of I Am The Doctor we have, and I felt the death scene was handled perfectly. I especially love how The Doctor knew, and was ready to walk to his death. The Silents I feel, even though creepy, fell flat a bit. They're creepy, no doubt about it. I also feel that the idea behind them is terrifying. BUT the fact they appear in well lit rooms and get too much exposition kinda takes the chill away. Also, I'm not keen on the fact that they can talk. I really think that it ruins the whole idea of them being 'The Silents'. I thought they were revealed a bit too soon, the big reveal should've been the massive cliffhanger, with Amy seeing parts of them throughout the episode.

I absolutely LOVED River and Rory in this episode. I love how Rory kinda brought the whole team together, and I love how he's no longer 'The Boyfriend' he's his own person. River, I've always loved. Although I feel with this episode, she was incredibly more likable, and we finally get to see stuff from her point of view. I feel very bad for her, understandably.

Amy, I LOVED. She was fine in Series 5, too. I think the whole thing with Amy, is that her characterization is Series 5 was unstable cause she has an unbalanced life, but the Amy at the start of Series 6, is married and she's obviously been settled down for some time, so I think the way she was played in Series 5 was intentional, not bad acting. I love how she's finally gotten character development, and is actually talking with the other TARDIS members, and not just The Doctor. I loved that.

Now, we come to The Doctor himself. I... dunno. I find Smith great, and I usually love 11, but his performance here was a bit. you know? Childish? There were moments where I thought "You're not this brilliant man, you're supposed to be"

When he faceplanted the wall. When he was under the womans dress. When he spat the wine out. They were really funny, but felt a bit out of place. Also, I didn't like how River went round piloting the TARDIS, when he wasn't looking. Is he an idiot or something?

Either way, you can't deny that his personality isn't very attractive at all, and considering River is meeting The Doctor out of sequence, the man she loves is surely older personality wise than The Doctor here.

Saying that though, I loved his scenes with River, and he shines in some moments. Even though he didn't have a very pleasant personality in this episode, I can't help but love him.

The cliffhanger I felt was done well, although I wasn't a fan of the whole slow mo thing. If they'd kept the dialogue at full speed and just put an echo on it it'd have been far more powerful.

Overall though, a very strong start to the series. Some gripping moments, and I cannot wait 'till next week.

A strong 7/10.

#1872 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:47 PM

Anyway, I feel that this episode is probably one of the strongest opening episodes of the revived series. I find it brave to begin with a two parter. This whole episode is visually stunning. I love the exterior shots, even though there wasn't much (I expect Day of the Moon to deliver on this)

There's a bit more, and some of the shots are stunningly epic, but there's not a lot more. There is a brilliant shot of NYC at the end which is very well done (as it was shot in Wales!). It gets very creepy and quite violent.

#1873 Iroquois

Iroquois

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

Now, we come to The Doctor himself. I... dunno. I find Smith great, and I usually love 11, but his performance here was a bit. you know? Childish? There were moments where I thought "You're not this brilliant man, you're supposed to be"

When he faceplanted the wall. When he was under the womans dress. When he spat the wine out. They were really funny, but felt a bit out of place. Also, I didn't like how River went round piloting the TARDIS, when he wasn't looking. Is he an idiot or something?

Either way, you can't deny that his personality isn't very attractive at all, and considering River is meeting The Doctor out of sequence, the man she loves is surely older personality wise than The Doctor here.

Saying that though, I loved his scenes with River, and he shines in some moments. Even though he didn't have a very pleasant personality in this episode, I can't help but love him.

I admit that I did feel that something was slightly off about the Doctor in this episode, but I couldn't place it. Upon watching the episode again, for me, it definitely wasn't Smith's excellent performance or Moffat's brilliant writing, but the fact that the Doctor doesn't get a chance to show his brilliance because the story can't allow for it yet. I mean, the dynamic's different as for once The Doctor's the one who doesn't know what's going on because he can't, one of his companions is someone that he trained in the future, and the episode was mainly about set up.

Therefore, I don't think anything's wrong with the Doctor at all, just the fact that he's (justifiably) not had the chance to resolve any of the problems that arose in episode one, because he can't yet. Although his future self is obviously trying to fix something, that's one of the mysteries.

#1874 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

I admit that I did feel that something was slightly off about the Doctor in this episode, but I couldn't place it. Upon watching the episode again, for me, it definitely wasn't Smith's excellent performance or Moffat's brilliant writing, but the fact that the Doctor doesn't get a chance to show his brilliance because the story can't allow for it yet. I mean, the dynamic's different as for once The Doctor's the one who doesn't know what's going on because he can't, one of his companions is someone that he trained in the future, and the episode was mainly about set up.

I dunno; he blustered his way in charge of the President- I think that's pretty good.

Loved that line about Amy wondering whether if it was a trap: 'I dunno- let's see if someone tries to kill us and work from there'! :D

#1875 Iroquois

Iroquois

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

I dunno; he blustered his way in charge of the President- I think that's pretty good.

Loved that line about Amy wondering whether if it was a trap: 'I dunno- let's see if someone tries to kill us and work from there'! :D

I laughed out loud at that line. That, "It adds more fizz" and "Two of them fancied me" cracked me up as well.

#1876 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:57 PM

Day Of The Moon

I originally voted for a solid 8/10, but looking back I reckon it has some major problems.

First of all. I'm getting really annoyed with Steven Moffats writing. Overall, the The Russell T Davies era was better. Smith's great, but Stephen Moffat is a really annoying writer. All of this stories have to include some stupid timey wimey plot and it's getting boring. Also. Nice to see that The Doctor got was in the perfect prison AGAIN. It's not like that happened 3 episodes ago or anything...

Also, everyones just meant to believe The Doctor's brainwashed the entire human race into murdering Silents. WTF.

He didn't even bother trying to find out the Silents' side of the story. I mean, why were they here? He can't just go up to Silurians and go "Hey, you're green. Have half of the Earth!" but with The SIlents it's basically. "Nah, I'm not going to give you an option, you're just going to die."

I mean, sure enough, I get that it will make them run from Earth, and scare them off. But The Doctor getting humans to murder other aliens!? I can understand if The Doctor is going down a dark path in this series, but River, Rory or Amy didn't look shocked at his decision?

I do find the idea of beginning with a two parter brave. I really do. But I think it's backfired a bit. "Oh let's get the audience right into the action!", I feel it's kinda made the audience feel more alienated.

My girlfriend and I watched the episode, and she said something that really stuck with me. With the Tennant era, you could just drop in and out without missing much. I think the Smith era is too connected and she feels like she has to watch every episode. it's like blackmail. IF YOU MISS ONE YOU'LL FIND IT EVEN MORE CONFUSING.

Love River Song though. Feel really sorry for her.

6/10. Only just.

8/10 for entertainment value though. :P

#1877 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:13 AM

First of all. I'm getting really annoyed with Steven Moffats writing. Overall, the The Russell T Davies era was better. Smith's great, but Stephen Moffat is a really annoying writer. All of this stories have to include some stupid timey wimey plot and it's getting boring. Also. Nice to see that The Doctor got was in the perfect prison AGAIN. It's not like that happened 3 episodes ago or anything...

The RTD era wasn't any better. Him and Moffat are both up themselves. And they both think it's really clever to write smartarse dialogue. Which it isn't. Moffat's proving himself to be a one trick pony, too. Repeating the same plot ideas time and again. Neither of them are a patch on the likes of David Whitaker or Robert Holmes.

So, who's that little girl going to turn out to be, then? She'd better not be the sodding Rani.

#1878 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:06 AM

The good thing about the RTD era though, is that it was fun. It didn't take itself too seriously either. Moffat thinks he's so bloody clever. Giving us these over complicated plots and trying to be interesting and he's just alienating his audience.

#1879 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:41 AM

I can't say I was a fan of the RTD era myself. I can see where you're coming from, though. The one episode of his I really liked when it went out was the generally-hated Aliens of London. Which I thought was great fun at the time. I didn't like how they resolved the story in the second part, though, unfortunately.

But the Moffat era's very quickly disappearing up its own backside, to the point where I don't really care whether I watch it or not. These needless series-long story arcs are the problem. I don't really want to have to piece together a thirteen-week puzzle. Especially when it's not even properly resolved, like last years. I'd rather just watch a straightforward episode of Doctor Who, and then go outside and mow the lawn, or something.

I'm looking forward to the repeat of The Hand of Fear on BBC Four next week much more than the next episode of the new series.

#1880 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:03 AM

Is it meant to appeal to the casual viewer (i.e. me)? Watched about fifteen minutes of it with the boys; didn't get it. May need subtitles for the uninitiated before it disappears up its own wormhole. Seemed increasingly self-indulgent.

#1881 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

Can someone tell me who the heck that girl was at the end????? My mind is blowing up!

#1882 RufusCobb

RufusCobb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

Can someone tell me who the heck that girl was at the end????? My mind is blowing up!

The girl at the end is the little girl from the space suit. By my reckoning she is Amy Pond's daughter, the result of the there/not there pregnancy. (I refer you to the picture in the girl's bedroom of the children's home, of Amy Pond holding a baby.)

I suspect the reason she is going all 're-generation like' at the end of the programne is something to do with what Amy Pond reffered to as any pregnancy on the Tardis being affected by time stuff, (and the baby having a 'Time Head').

You heard it here first, folks. (Although I thought they were actually spelling it out, not hiding it.)

Edited by RufusCobb, 01 May 2011 - 11:10 AM.

#1883 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

a rare thing this
a popular tv show that doesn't treat it's audience as idiots

Edited by quantumofsolace, 01 May 2011 - 11:46 AM.

#1884 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

Overnight figure for Day of The Moon - 5.4 million. Ouch.

I can't say I'm surprised. Granted, it's still the second watched programme of the day, but that's a really bad figure. Looking back, I think the two parter opener backfired a bit. They've made it too complicated for the casual viewer. It's made them switch off.

A story of this scale should've been kept for later on in the season. I love the dark episodes more than anyone else, but honestly. It's left me drained. I feel like i've seen the finale already. Doctor Who should open up as fun, drawing the audience in that way, then doing dark.

The final figures for 'The Impossible Astronaut' were around 8.5 million. So it's still getting the viewing figures. I know the reason why it's dropping live...

That god awful 'Don't Scare The Hare'. Imagine tuning into watch Doctor Who, seeing that, being like WTF. then completely switching off.
Steven Moffat's unintentional alienation of the audience.
The fact that's it's on at 6. It's too early. People are just getting in from work, and can't sit down to watch it.

#1885 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:28 PM

Never mind. It's pirates next week. Yo-ho-ho, etc.

#1886 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

Well... I liked it. Despite you two, it's not rubbish, thank you very much.

...and that cliff-hanger? I really hope Moff knows who the girl is, in advance! ;)

#1887 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

I really enjoyed it.

They're really taking the Dr and Co to new heights with this series.

Matt is superb as are the others.

By the way, I knew the girl was Amy's but what I don't know is if she's the Doctor's too. Or did she and Rory 'you-know-what' in the Tardis?

That was the gist of my question and which is on my mind. Why on earth did she tell the Dr she was pregnant and not Rory?

Curiouser and Curiouser indeed dear Watson!

Ah, well, will just have to wait and see.

10 out of 10 in my book but I do appreciate that it certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea. Bit like Bond in a way.

#1888 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

Well... I liked it. Despite you two, it's not rubbish, thank you very much.

...and that cliff-hanger? I really hope Moff knows who the girl is, in advance! ;)

I never once said that it was rubbish?

#1889 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

You implied it... and let's not forget that Doctor Who was once incredibly serialized; whole plotlines would carry through serials, including villains and continuing problems for the Doctor.

This is just a better way of doing it than Rusty's "arc word" bullcrap... :rolleyes:

#1890 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

You implied it... and let's not forget that Doctor Who was once incredibly serialized; whole plotlines would carry through serials, including villains and continuing problems for the Doctor.

I didn't imply it. If I thought it was rubbish I wouldn't have given it such a fair rating, if you actually bothered to read my review. I merely said that Steven Moffat thinks he's insanely clever, and is giving us the same thing over and over again. It's getting really tiring. Every story has to include either a space suit, a childrens fear, a faked death, a perfect prison or some time paradox. Or all of the above.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't have a problem if "whole plotlines would carry through serials, including villains and continuing problems for the Doctor." In fact, I would welcome it. Not like last night, where the Doctor was a moron yet again, and went "WHO IS THE LITTLE GIRL. THAT'S WHAT WE ALL NEED TO KNOW. BUT LET'S GO ON SOME ADVENTURES FIRST. IT'S NOT LIKE IT CAN WAIT OR ANYTHING. :D"

The only thing Moffat did last night was create more questions and not bother answering anything from the last series. Including The Lodger TARDIS. Even The Doctor conveniently and obviously changed the subject and didn't even address the idea that he was in another TARDIS.

Oh, and...

Spoiler