This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Do you think Skyfall has a shot at an Oscar?

103 replies to this topic

#91 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

If Skyfall is eligible it'll get beaten for "Best Original Song" by "Suddenly" from the Les Mis movie.

That's how the Academy will reward the composers of Les Mis since they're not going to be eligible for best original score.

#92 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

http://www.hollywood...k-thirty-392127

#93 The Gunner

The Gunner

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

I'd say it has a chance - Sam Mendes as Oscar winner director, sterling casts, Javier Bardem, Oscar winner. Will get nominated, though probably won't win. Hope it does, though.

Edited by The Gunner, 26 November 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#94 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

The Oscars? I doubt it unless it's for the technical awards - sound, special effects etc. Perhaps cinematography. I guess Adele may be in the running as well. I'd like to think that Javier Bardem is in with a shout of being nominated for Best Supporting Actor, given the number of reviews that have put his portrayal of Silva/Rodriguez ahead of his already Oscar winning turn in "No Country For Old Men". But I can't see any of it happening, somehow. Bond films don't get nominated for the headline Oscar stuff. Too commercial, but also hobbled by being too British - not that this has stopped this "bulldog" of a Bond film, as one UK critic put it, with a largely British cast, from enjoying remarkable worldwide success.

The BAFTAs, on the other hand.... I wouldn't be at all surprised if Skyfall is nominated in several categories. Whether it will win any is another thing altogether.

But if Skyfall gets nominated for any of the major Oscar awards, even if it doesn't win any, it will be recognition in itself. And, for the Bond series, long overdue.

#95 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

but also hobbled by being too British - not that this has stopped this "bulldog" of a Bond film,

What about last year's close to the real world type spy movie, Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy? Did it get any nomation, and win any. By the way did they ever say that movie was too British. Just wonding about that.

Edited by Syndicate, 27 November 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#96 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

I thought it did get nominations! I swear that it was nominated for something.

#97 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy received 3 Oscar nominations:
  • Best Actor - Gary Oldman
  • Music (Original Score) - Alberto Iglesias
  • Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - Bridget O'Connor and Peter Straughan

#98 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

Um maybe for Biggest Load of Crap? Or Most Boring 2 hours ever?

#99 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

but also hobbled by being too British - not that this has stopped this "bulldog" of a Bond film,

What about last year's close to the real world type spy move, Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy? Did it get any nomation, and win any. By the way did they ever say that movie was too British. Just wonding that.

Point taken, and it is true that British costume dramas or Shakespearean films tend to get nominated from time to time - isn't that how Judi Dench won her Oscar? I think there's a mindset among the people who vote for Oscar nominees (as opposed to the paying public) that those are the only kind of films we Brits are good at. The idea of a series of action movies with a British character as the central hero figure - which is essentially what the Bond films are - doesn't seem to register with the members of the Academy. At least, that may be one reason why Bond never gets nominated for anything other than technical stuff. Perhaps I'm wrong, though. We shall see next year.

#100 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

It has nothing to do with the British-ness of the movie. It has to do with it being an action movie. British films like Shakespeare in Love and The King's Speech don't win Oscars because the Academy thinks that all that Brits are good at are Shakespearean films or costume dramas, they win because the sort of movies that the Academy likes is feel good melodramas like historical epics and romances. The American made winners and nominees are the exact same type of films. It has nothing to do with British-ness. Come on, that is ridiculous!

#101 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

I would say that not only will SKYFALL bag the same kind of nominations at the BAFTAS CR got It wouldn't surprise me if it manages to win the Outstanding British film gong this time round.

It may have made a best picture nom if not for the parody homages. Thanks to the cheesy nods it's a better chance as best comedy.

Yea, we need to go back to the glory days of Bond where there was no humour whatsoever...

Er, no. This film was as serious as Bond gets. You must be joking.

So, the old couple who watched Bond jump on the back of the tube train and said, "Blimey, he's in a rush to get home!" You're saying 'that's as serious as Bond gets' ?

There have been plenty of Best Picture nominees and winners that whilst not strictly comedies have a high level of humour that could be considered parodic and camp from RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK to FORREST GUMP. If SKYFALL despite people's predictions doesn't get into the supposed ten BP slots it certainly won't be because of it's Moore-esque, in some scenes, silly comedy.

#102 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Um maybe for Biggest Load of Crap? Or Most Boring 2 hours ever?

You are quite literally a moron. Great film.

Skyfall will win Best Cinematography, you watch!

#103 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Skyfall will win Best Cinematography, you watch!

I'd be shocked if it didn't to be honest. Give Deakins his due!

#104 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

Bond will have won big just by being nominated. It won't win an actual award, the other films that are likely to get nods are of a much higher caliber, but it'd be wonderful for Skyfall to be included in the voting process. It has certainly earned it.