This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Do you think Skyfall has a shot at an Oscar?

103 replies to this topic

#61 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

Not so far fetched..........

Hollywood Report says:

From 'Lincoln' to 'Skyfall': Why This Year's Best Picture Race Has Something for Everyone

#62 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Cinematography? I would be shocked it it doesn't get that nomination.

Original song? Maybe.

Screenplay? Doubtful.

Director? Possibly. He deserves it.

Acting? Craig certainly deserves consideration, as do Dench and Bardem.

Best Movie? With TEN nominees these days don't count it out. It's unlikely, but not as unlikely as say, The World Is Not Enough would have been under the same 10 nominees system.

I predict at least two nominations.

#63 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

I would venture to say that SKYFALL is a shoe-in for SONG, SCORE, and CINEMATOGRAPHY Academy nods. Longshots would include PICTURE, DIRECTOR, and SUPPORTING ACTRESS for Judi Dench. Maybe a few other technical nods like SOUND...

#64 nickjb007

nickjb007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

I think Judi Dench may have a good shot at getting supporting actress.

#65 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

I would venture to say that SKYFALL is a shoe-in for SONG, SCORE, and CINEMATOGRAPHY Academy nods. Longshots would include PICTURE, DIRECTOR, and SUPPORTING ACTRESS for Judi Dench. Maybe a few other technical nods like SOUND...

I might agree with your assertions for score and cinematography, but I don't think Adele's song is good enough for an oscar nod.

#66 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

If they had a fixed number of Best Picture nominees, and it was set at 10, then perhaps SKYFALL could sneak in the backdoor at the tenth spot simply as a nod to the series for its longevity. Now that they've changed the rules, where the number of nominees is not fixed (it falls between 5-10, based on getting a certain percentage of first place votes), there is almost no chance that SKYFALL will garner a Best Picture nomination.

Sadly, you are right. "After much analysis by Academy officials, it was determined that 5 percent of first place votes should be the minimum in order to receive a nomination, resulting in a slate of anywhere from 5 to 10 movies."

http://www.oscars.or.../20110614a.html

#67 nickjb007

nickjb007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

I think Adele has a good shot for an Oscar because let's face it a lot of the songs that are nominated or win are usually bad. And big name singers usually fare well at oscars.

#68 nickjb007

nickjb007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Sorry to post back to back but i just searched the history of past best song nominees and winners (http://en.m.wikipedi...ng#mw-mf-search) If a song titled "Man or Muppet" won Best Song last year Skyfall deserves a nomination. And the fact that Randy Newman has been nominated so many times is jaw dropping. I've always wondered why more Bond songs never got more nominations than they did.

#69 Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

It's always been a bigger mystery to me why John Barry never received any nominations for his work on Bond. It may just be that the Academy voters have rarely considered it be a series of films worth rewarding.

However, Skyfall may just be the film to readdress the balance. It has obviously already performed exceptionally well with both critics and audiences but more importantly for Sony it has significantly contributed towards their best ever year at the box-office. This in turn should inspire them to get behind a major push for Oscar consideration as the sheer level of recognised talent both in front and behind the camera makes this a realistic opportunity especially as we all know Bond is celebrating his 50th and Oscar likes nothing better than nostalgia and milestones.

I'm not expecting (but would love to see) any wins in the major categories but at the very least any nominations gained for Picture/Director or Acting would be a major marketing boost at a time Sony will be gearing up for the dvd/bluray release just several weeks after the ceremony. With this in mind do not be surprised to see an unusually aggressive bit of marketing in the coming months.

#70 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

It may have made a best picture nom if not for the parody homages. Thanks to the cheesy nods it's a better chance as best comedy.

#71 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

It's always been a bigger mystery to me why John Barry never received any nominations for his work on Bond. It may just be that the Academy voters have rarely considered it be a series of films worth rewarding.

Exceedingly odd given that they loved him and he won as many times as John Williams has with but a small sliver of the amount of nominations.

It'll be interesting to see if the Mendes factor offsets this. Revolutionary Road was by no means a hit of any stripe, but the Academy still threw a bone Shannon's way, for instance.

#72 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

Cinematography it will get nominated for, and almost definitely win (the award it is most deserving of.) Original Score and Director it has a strong chance of a nomination, unlikely to get a win. Original Song if it qualifies for the award it will almost certainly win it as well. Acting awards: Bardem has a strong chance for supporting actor and Dench needs to be at least nominated for supporting actress if not another win.

#73 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

Since Skyfall is not an all action packed movie......An Oscar nomination for best picture have a good chance......is there any other movie similar to Skyfall style that has won before ?

#74 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Not similar to SKYFALL - but still a genre picture that even won all the major categories was THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.

While I donĀ“t think that SKYFALL will win an Oscar in those categories I could really imagine it getting a best picture nomination and one for Bardem, also a cinematography and editing nod. Mendes will be a long shot because the slots will probably be filled with Spielberg, Affleck, Hooper, Lee and Zemeckis.

#75 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think another one is The Departed? who also won some major awards as well........but anyway who votes for best picture anyway? is it the journalist? or a small group of members at the Academy.....?

one thing is certain Skyfall will be nominated for BAFTA and most certainly win best British film.....

Edited by 007jamesbond, 23 November 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#76 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

but anyway who votes for best picture anyway? is it the journalist? or a small group of members at the Academy.....?

The 6000+ members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) from all areas of the film industry. Actors, directors, producers, cinematographers, writers, composers etc.

#77 perdogg

perdogg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Best chances for nominations are probably Original Song and Cinematography. I can't see the Academy giving the latter to a Bond film, so I reckon Adele's our best shot.

Yes Original Song and Cinematography.

#78 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

It may have made a best picture nom if not for the parody homages. Thanks to the cheesy nods it's a better chance as best comedy.

Yea, we need to go back to the glory days of Bond where there was no humour whatsoever...

Er, no. This film was as serious as Bond gets. You must be joking.

#79 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

Any homages or other such gags are not going to be a factor in SKYFALL's potential Best Picture nomination. It wouldn't matter if the film were completely void of them. SKYFALL is not going to be nominated for Best Picture (nor Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, or Best Original Song), no matter how much the fan community would like it to be.

Edited by tdalton, 24 November 2012 - 07:18 AM.

#80 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

Any homages or other such gags are not going to be a factor in SKYFALL's potential Best Picture nomination. It wouldn't matter if the film were completely void of them. SKYFALL is not going to be nominated for Best Picture (nor Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, or Best Original Song), no matter how much the fan community would like it to be.

The only chance it would have ever had of being nominated would have been if it were released two years ago when the Academy was required to nominate ten films for Best Picture. Then, maybe. But now that they're not required to do so, there is a 0% chance of SKYFALL garnering a nod for Best Picture.

I wouldn't rule out Best Original Song, Adele has alot of good will when it comes to awards (which will likely translate from the music industry over to the film industry) and is also in all probability the most well known song from any film this year (how many other songs can you name that stand out? Let alone ones that charted as highly as Adele's?) The only thing I feel that would rule Adele's song out of the Oscars is if it's use of the Bond theme makes it ineligible for the award (something the Academy has been known to go either way on.)

As for the acting awards, I wouldn't rule out Judi Dench for a Best Supporting Actress nomination (a win is much less likely but she is considered by most Oscar predictions I've seen to be all but guaranteed for a nomination.)

A Best Picture nomination is less likely, but still more likely than you make it out to be, just because it is no longer compulsory to have 10 nominations doesn't mean there won't be (last year had 9 nominations for example.) Since the expansion of the nominations from 5 films the Academy has tended to have 2 or 3 Commercial Hits that received to critical praise to balance out the nominations with critical darlings that made less than 100 million at the Box Office. Of the Big Commercial hits this year Skyfall has the best chance of a nomination, it received stronger reviews than The Dark Knight Rises for example and has an Academy Award winning Director at it's helm another bonus for consideration.

The very fact that websites beyond this forum are referring to Skyfall as a likely Oscar Contender shows that this is not just the wild dreams of fans like us but a legitimate opportunity for the Bond films.

#81 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Any homages or other such gags are not going to be a factor in SKYFALL's potential Best Picture nomination. It wouldn't matter if the film were completely void of them. SKYFALL is not going to be nominated for Best Picture (nor Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, or Best Original Song), no matter how much the fan community would like it to be.

The only chance it would have ever had of being nominated would have been if it were released two years ago when the Academy was required to nominate ten films for Best Picture. Then, maybe. But now that they're not required to do so, there is a 0% chance of SKYFALL garnering a nod for Best Picture.

I wouldn't rule out Best Original Song, Adele has alot of good will when it comes to awards (which will likely translate from the music industry over to the film industry) and is also in all probability the most well known song from any film this year (how many other songs can you name that stand out? Let alone ones that charted as highly as Adele's?) The only thing I feel that would rule Adele's song out of the Oscars is if it's use of the Bond theme makes it ineligible for the award (something the Academy has been known to go either way on.)

As for the acting awards, I wouldn't rule out Judi Dench for a Best Supporting Actress nomination (a win is much less likely but she is considered by most Oscar predictions I've seen to be all but guaranteed for a nomination.)

A Best Picture nomination is less likely, but still more likely than you make it out to be, just because it is no longer compulsory to have 10 nominations doesn't mean there won't be (last year had 9 nominations for example.) Since the expansion of the nominations from 5 films the Academy has tended to have 2 or 3 Commercial Hits that received to critical praise to balance out the nominations with critical darlings that made less than 100 million at the Box Office. Of the Big Commercial hits this year Skyfall has the best chance of a nomination, it received stronger reviews than The Dark Knight Rises for example and has an Academy Award winning Director at it's helm another bonus for consideration.

The very fact that websites beyond this forum are referring to Skyfall as a likely Oscar Contender shows that this is not just the wild dreams of fans like us but a legitimate opportunity for the Bond films.

Last year, under the new Best Picture rules, where to be nominated for Best Picture a film had to earn a substantial number of "First Place" votes, no major commercial hits were nominated. It was pretty much as art-house as it gets in terms of the nominations (THE ARTIST, THE DESCENDENTS, WAR HORSE, THE TREE OF LIFE, MONEYBALL, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, HUGO to name a few). There are not going to be enough (or any, I'd venture to guess) voters giving SKYFALL first place votes when there are films like LINCOLN, ARGO, and ZERO DARK THIRTY, amongst others, up there to take the votes away from SKYFALL.

Also, Judi Dench may very well be nominated for an Academy Award this year, but it won't be for SKYFALL. All of the buzz that I've heard regarding her Oscar chances this year has revolved around BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL, not SKYFALL.

#82 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

In fairness if you look at the major commercial hits of last year they were films like: Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hangover Part 2 and Harry Potter...of those films the only one that was even considered possible for a nomination was Harry Potter.
Having said that films like The Descendents and The Help were still commercial successes, not major Billion Dollar successes but they each made around 200 million on very small budgets.
The difference between last year and this year is that the highest grossing films of last year, with the exception of Harry Potter, were not particularly favoured critically: compare that to the critical praise for Skyfall, The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises and even The Hunger Games.
If you compare the Oscar predictions this time last year with the Oscar Predictions this year, last year the talk was focused on films like Hugo and Tree of Life (Harry Potter had all but been forgotten about as being a contender for Best Picture and no other major commercial films were seen as Best Picture candidates.)
This year however films that were seen as Oscar contenders prior to release, such as The Master, are now no longer seen as guaranteed candidates for Best Picture (with Argo so far looking like the only definite by most pundits.) However at this stage most sites are still suggesting major commercial hits like Skyfall and the Dark Knight Rises as potential contenders (as a 7th or 8th pick, rather than a top nomination.) And unlike any commercial hit from last year Skyfall does have an Academy Award Winning Director (on top of a fair few award winners in the cast and behind the scenes) this tends to make a huge difference in a films potential for getting nominated.

As for Judi Dench the reason I'd suggest her chance for a nomination ultimately being more likely with Skyfall than Marigold Hotel is that for Marigold Hotel she would be up for Best Actress, which is a fairly crowded race at this point, while Skyfall she would receive a Supporting Actress nomination (a category where there are considerably less potential nominees with more of the focus being on the potential of upcoming performances like Anne Hathaway is Les Miserable)

#83 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

Some Nominations We could see:

Best Production Design
Best Cinematography
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Art Direction

Some we MAY see, but up in the air:
Best Original Score
Best Original Song

A long shot, even with ten nominations(but would still be neat):
Best Picture

#84 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Several Oscar predictions sites I've had a look at are seriously considering the fact that SKYFALL could be pushing for a Best Picture nomination if the Academy chooses 10 films. I'd still be astonished, but it's certainly notable that it's not only Bond fans who are entertaining the notion.

#85 Invincible1958

Invincible1958

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Last year (...) no major commercial hits were nominated. It was pretty much as art-house as it gets in terms of the nominations (THE ARTIST, THE DESCENDENTS, WAR HORSE, THE TREE OF LIFE, MONEYBALL, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, HUGO to name a few).

War Horse
Moneyball
Midnight in Paris
Hugo
The Help

Those 5 movies were not Billion-Dollar-Successes, but they are extremley mainstream-movies, not art-house.

Edited by Invincible1958, 24 November 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#86 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yea, we need to go back to the glory days of Bond where there was no humour whatsoever...

Er, no. This film was as serious as Bond gets. You must be joking.

So, the old couple who watched Bond jump on the back of the tube train and said, "Blimey, he's in a rush to get home!" You're saying 'that's as serious as Bond gets' ?

#87 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

As for Judi Dench the reason I'd suggest her chance for a nomination ultimately being more likely with Skyfall than Marigold Hotel is that for Marigold Hotel she would be up for Best Actress, which is a fairly crowded race at this point, while Skyfall she would receive a Supporting Actress nomination (a category where there are considerably less potential nominees with more of the focus being on the potential of upcoming performances like Anne Hathaway is Les Miserable)

Completely disagreed. Dench is far more likely to garner a nod for BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL than she is for SKYFALL. Even though there is some buzz surrounding SKYFALL for the Academy Awards, although I'd contend that it's mostly done to drive traffic to the various websites rather than because SKYFALL has a supposed legitimate chance of garnering a nomination, the only legitimate buzz that Dench has gotten has been for BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL. I have yet to read a reputable article that gives Dench even a remote chance of making the Supporting Actress field for SKYFALL (although based on all the spoilers people have been throwing around these forums outside of the spoiler forum and outside of spoiler tags, I'd imagine that Dench should probably be in the running as a lead actress for SKYFALL rather than supporting anyway).

#88 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Last year (...) no major commercial hits were nominated. It was pretty much as art-house as it gets in terms of the nominations (THE ARTIST, THE DESCENDENTS, WAR HORSE, THE TREE OF LIFE, MONEYBALL, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, HUGO to name a few).

War Horse
Moneyball
Midnight in Paris
Hugo
The Help

Those 5 movies were not Billion-Dollar-Successes, but they are extremley mainstream-movies, not art-house.

You are right, they were not true arthouse films, but the Oscars have never really gone for true art-house movies anyways. I think what tdalton was getting at is that those films were typical Hollywood Oscarbait-style films.

#89 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

I think skyfall would be nominated for cinematography and screenplay. That's it.

#90 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

I think what tdalton was getting at is that those films were typical Hollywood Oscarbait-style films.

Exactly.