88 replies to this topic

#61 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:35 AM

How should it have ended? Simple. It shouldn't have begun in the first place.

Thanks, that's very constructive.

'Twas a joke. I didn't realize Die Another Day was a sensitive subject.

#62 KM16

KM16

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Here is how I would've liked the film to be done. Granted this is rough, obviously, with not all plot points fully thought out but already I think it's better than what we got and makes a little more sense than the whole changing your dna crap.

James Bond infiltrates a North Korean military base, where Colonel Tan-Sun Moon is illegally trading African conflict diamonds for weaponry. After Moon's assistant Zao discovers Bond is a British agent, the colonel escapes in a hovercraft. Bond distracts the soldiers with an explosion, in which Zao's face is disfigured by diamond fragments. Bond pursues Moon in a second hovercraft. During the chase, Moon's hovercraft plunges down a waterfall, apparently killing him. Bond is captured by North Korean soldiers and imprisoned by the Colonel’s father, General Moon.

After 14 months of captivity and torture, Bond is traded for Zao in a prisoner exchange. He is sedated and taken to meet M, who informs him that his status as a 00 Agent is suspended due to her belief that he may have leaked information under duress. Still bitter over Zao's release, Bond decides to complete his mission by evading MI6's security, escaping custody and travelling to Hong Kong, where he learns from his contact in the Chinese government that Zao is in Cuba.

After arriving in Havana, Bond meets NSA agent Giacinta 'Jinx Johnson. Bond follows Zao and Jinx to a therapy clinic, where Zao is seemingly being treated for his disfigured appearance. Bond locates Zao inside the clinic and a fight ensues. Zao flees in a helicopter, but he leaves behind a pendant. Bond opens it and finds a cache of diamonds, identified as conflict diamonds, but bearing the crest of the British company, Graves Diamonds, owned by reclusive billionaire Gustav Graves.

Bond encounters Graves' assistant Miranda Frost, also an undercover MI6 agent, at Blades Club. After a fencing exercise, Bond is invited by Frost to Iceland to meet Graves personally. Frost sends word to M of her encounter with Bond, updating MI6 on his whereabouts and of him possibly ruining her cover operation.

In Iceland, Gustav Graves unveils a new mining technique which is able to mine diamonds easily and more effective using nuclear technology (Just making this up half-assed because I'm not payed to do so and it's already better than a giant sky laser). At midnight, Jinx infiltrates Graves' command centre in the palace, but is captured by Zao. Bond rescues her, and after seeing Zao talking with Graves, realizes that Graves isn't really behind the operation. Zao demands his boss wouldn't like the way the operation is being handled and is arriving soon.

Bond confronts Graves and is enlightened to the fact that Graves is being forced to act as a decoy, basically being held hostage. The real power behind the operation is Colonel Tan-Sun Moon. Moon, Zao and Frost arrive and confront Bond. After Moon executes Graves with a shot to the back of the head, Frost reveals herself as the traitor and the one who exposed Bond in North Korea, forcing 007 to escape from the facility. Bond then returns to the hotel to rescue Jinx but finds her dead in his bed. Leaving the hotel, Zao pursues him along the ice. Bond kills Zao by luring him towards a collapsing sheet of ice, watching him and the car drown in the freezing water.

Bond pursue's Moon and Frost to the Korean peninsula and stow away on Moon's cargo plane. Moon, along with his father, explain to the North Korean military officials the purpose of the mining technology: to cut a path through the Korean Demilitarized Zone, allowing North Korean troops to invade South Korea and reunite the countries through force. Horrified, several of the officials try to stop the plan, but are murdered by Moon.

007 attempts to shoot Moon but he is prevented by one of the soldiers on board. In their struggle, a gunshot pierces the fuselage, causing the plane to descend rapidly. Moon's father, along with several others are immediately sucked out of the plane. Moon is furious. Bond engages Moon in a fist fight, while Frost attempts to regain control of the plane. Moon attempts to escape by parachute, but Bond opens the parachute, causing the slipstream to pull Moon out of the plane and into its engine, killing him. Bond finds Frost, who attacks him, forcing him to defend himself in a sword duel. Bond kills Frost by stabbing her in the chest. The plane too far gone, Bond escapes via parachute as the plane crashes into a heavily wooded area on the North Korean side of the border. Bond is apprehended by MI6 agents and brought to M, who confronts him about his actions. She informs him that Jinx got word out about the mining machine before her death and they were able to destroy it while Bond was chasing Moon. She congratulates him on his victory over Moon but lets him know that he'll have a lot to answer for once they're back in England.

One week later, Bond enters M's office with a bouquet of flowers after hours and hands them to Moneypenny. She smells them and smiles, hugging him and thanking him. They kiss and Bond slides everything off of the top and leans her back onto the desk as they finally give themselves to one another as credits roll.

Edited by KM16, 01 October 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#63 Golden Claw

Golden Claw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

I don't know how everybody feels about this, but I for one was actually delighted to see Bond & Moneypenny end up together at the end of DAD. And I was disappointed when it was revealed that it was VR. I thought it would've been nice if DAD had ended with Moneypenny in Bond's arms at the end; the one woman he never had. It would've been a great ending to an era (although they didn't know it at the time, obviously), before the reboot took place.

#64 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Omit Icarus, the dream mask, and Jinx.

#65 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

Omit Icarus, the dream mask, and Jinx.

The dream mask is one of the most menacing and Bondian things in the film.

#66 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

I don't really have a problem with Jinx as a character (yo mama? eh...), it's Halle Berry's performance that turns me off. She plays the role with such detachment, that you have to wonder if she even cares about what's going on around her. I think she was trying to "Out cool" Brosnan, but it just ends up hammy and over the top. It's hard to believe that this is the same Halle Berry that won the Oscar during filming.

#67 KM16

KM16

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:09 AM

I think Halle Berry just saw this as a mindless action film and didn't bother using any skill, in other words an easy paycheck. I wouldn't doubt she likes the series, or respects it rather, but you're right. It seemed at times she was trying to play up the "cool spy" card way too often and didnt' seem to take herself seriously at all.

#68 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:43 AM

I think Halle Berry just saw this as a mindless action film and didn't bother using any skill, in other words an easy paycheck. I wouldn't doubt she likes the series, or respects it rather, but you're right. It seemed at times she was trying to play up the "cool spy" card way too often and didnt' seem to take herself seriously at all.

Do you really suppose actors devote only so much of their talent to given roles, depending on the genre?

How did Halle know that 'The Monster's Ball' would be worth putting more effort into than anything else she'd done before (and does this mean she'd been holding back until then)?

Just because Connery appeared to be doing just that in YOLT (and DAF, according to some but not others), does that mean that every actor does?

#69 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

Halle Berry was clearly outdone by Rosamund Pike, a delightful Bond girl. She's one of the best parts of the film. The ice palace should have been the end. The ridiculous wave ride and Jinx jumping to sea was cringe worthy. What's wrong with the Moneypenny kissing scene? Every Bond film she fantasises about kissing or being with him so I guess it was harmless to make the audience believe they had a moment together…. only to be revealed it VR.

A much better movie than TWINE. In many ways ! Bourne films at that time gave a new perspective on action films which is clearly not working anymore. I know people who watch the Bourne films now and say the camera and capabilities of the lead is laughable. I still enjoy them though.

#70 KM16

KM16

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Do you really suppose actors devote only so much of their talent to given roles, depending on the genre?

How did Halle know that 'The Monster's Ball' would be worth putting more effort into than anything else she'd done before (and does this mean she'd been holding back until then)?

Just because Connery appeared to be doing just that in YOLT (and DAF, according to some but not others), does that mean that every actor does?

Not every actor, no, but certain genre's definitely get a lot of that. Superhero movies, for instance, before the likes of Spider-Man and the Nolan Batman's, plenty of actors pretty much said without saying they could've cared less and it was an easy paycheck. Hell, Batman & Robin is a prime example of actors who can actually act but clearly didn't give a crap in that film. Horror movies are also another genre that gets a lot of that. Many actors and actresses think all they have to do is scream really loud and show some skin and they get paid, screw the dialogue, and it comes off very obvious. The only reason I make the assumption Berry must not have cared or tried is because it shows on screen. It shows in the X-Men films during every scene she's a part of as well as every scene in Die Another Day, her delivery of lines compared with other films she's been in just come off.... boring and uninteresting. I just can't shake the feeling every time I watch the film.

Edited by KM16, 05 October 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#71 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Funny how I always perceive Christopher Walken's characters (Zorin included) as having something else going on that they'd rather be doing; he delivers his dialogue so dismissively, yet because he has that staccato delivery (which no one ever compares to Shatner or Adam West) it's accepted as his method, and everyone admires him for it (myself included). His acting 'style' seems to be to play his characters as if they don't care, and I suppose such a style can mask his attitude when he is playing a role he doesn't care for (which roles would those be? With his style, it's hard to tell).

Then there's Timothy Dalton, who throws his heart and soul into everything he does, whether it's smouldering, resentful Heathcliff, Joan Collin's wailing brother in 'Sins", Rhett Butler MKII or Mae West's devoted husband #7. Sometimes you wish he'd dial it down, but he's always a delight to watch, even when he's in a turkey.

Same goes for Sean Connery - he's been the best thing in many bad films (Zardoz, Meteor, Sword of the Valiant, Highlander 2, the Avengers), and with the execption of YOLT, he always seems to be earning his pay (I think his pay for DAF is what inspired his enthusiasm in that movie).

I never saw anything wrong with Halle Berry's performance as Jinx - which wasn't that demanding a role anyway. She was certainly more compelling than Tanya Roberts (don't get he started on Tanya Roberts...!)

#72 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

Tanya Roberts' acting may have come off as wooden, but at least one gets the impression she's trying. Halle Berry recites her lines as if she's reading them for the very first time.

#73 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

Now, Here is another song to find for me. The one on TWINE where Bond and Elektra jump from the helicopter and ski together. Didn't find that one on my soundtrack either. Do you have it?! :)

It's called Snow businnes.

#74 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

Snow Business is the action cue that plays when the parahawks chase Bond down the slope. J.B. is referring to the piece that plays before that, when Bond and Elektra are first skiing.

#75 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Snow Business is the action cue that plays when the parahawks chase Bond down the slope. J.B. is referring to the piece that plays before that, when Bond and Elektra are first skiing.

I might be wrong, but isn't that particular cue called Ice Bandits?

#76 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

You're correct. In light of my error, I looked up the track listings for the album. There is no track called "Snow Business" on it.

#77 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

'Snow Job' is on AVTAK.

#78 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

In other words, are you simply projecting your dislike of the idea of Halle Berry as a Bond girl on this assumption that she didn't put any effort into the movie?

Tanya Roberts' acting may have come off as wooden, but at least one gets the impression she's trying. Halle Berry recites her lines as if she's reading them for the very first time.

Now I know there is something truly wrong with the world, when Tanya Roberts' acting is given higher praise than Halle Berry's.

#79 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

I would agree with you, had I been comparing Tanya Roberts and Halle Berry on all their acting jobs. I did not. I do however feel Tanya Roberts put in a much better effort in her film, than Halle Berry did in 'Die Another Day.'

#80 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

I would agree with you, had I been comparing Tanya Roberts and Halle Berry on all their acting jobs. I did not. I do however feel Tanya Roberts put in a much better effort in her film, than Halle Berry did in 'Die Another Day.'

Really? I still feel that Halle Berry managed to act rings around her, despite the bad dialogue that she, Brosnan and Pike were handed by Purvis and Wade.

#81 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

Perhaps it's not fair to say Halle Berry didn't try at all. But she is capable of better performances.

#82 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Perhaps it's not fair to say Halle Berry didn't try at all. But she is capable of better performances.

I agree. I think the problem with Berry's portrayal is that subscribed to the "this is all very amusing" school of Bond performances and didn't take her role very seriously. She can be a capable actress when she puts in the effort.

#83 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

Exactly! Thank you, that's exactly what I was trying to convey.

#84 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

You're correct. In light of my error, I looked up the track listings for the album. There is no track called "Snow Business" on it.

"There's NO business like SNOW business, like SNOW business, I know..."

#85 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

For some reason I just imagined Pierce Brosnan singing that while he's skiing with Elektra.

Weird.

#86 bey-columbo

bey-columbo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

From the beginning in North Korea to the rendezvous with M in the subway station, this is brillant.

The ice palace is not a bad idea, that is really great.

What is too much is Icarus and the surf on the tsunami.

Gustav Graves is an extraordinary bad guy in James Bond. But the plot about Icarus on the North and South Korea frontier, and Graves transforming with his strange electronic costum... this is too much.

Edited by bey-columbo, 21 October 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#87 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:25 AM

^ Yeah I definitely agree. I love the setting, it is the plot that is confusing and weird.

#88 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

Thinking about the very ending of the film, I'm surprised they didn't use the invisible car to do the old "Bond and the girl caught in the act" ending, homage to THE SPY WHO LOVED ME and MOONRAKER:

Bond and Jinx in the car, having sex in the biblical sense. M, Falco, Q/R/S/Whatever, Moneypenny, the Minster of Defense (bring him back for this one scene) and co, outside looking around for them. "Where are they?", suddenly the car's invisible power runs out and the car appears right in front of them. They look through the window, aghast. Bond and Jinx look up, cottoning on that they've been spotting. "Bond! What the hell do you think you're doing?" says M. "Now you see me..." says Bond, before pushing the button to make the car invisible again "now you don't", or something worse than that (a wink to this being Brosnan's last scene as Bond. Did they know even then? Fans will debate this moment for decades to come). Why the invisible power would have regenerated a few second after conking out I don't know, but this is DIE ANOTHER DAY we're talking about for Pete's sake.

"Oh, James!"

#89 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:52 AM

So...you're admitting that DAD could have been worse than many already feel it was?