106 replies to this topic

#91 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:09 AM

Forgive my nosy asking but I'm shocked that an adamant Bond fan would wait and skip the cinema.

Maybe he doesn't have a choice in the matter.

#92 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

Forgive my nosy asking but I'm shocked that an adamant Bond fan would wait and skip the cinema. I commend you for choosing viewing it in the way you prefer which seems to be DVD, but if I may ask, why do you detest the cinema?

Many different reasons, although it mainly boils down to the fact that the average moviegoer nowadays can't keep either their mouths or their cell phone shut for long enough to enjoy a movie anymore. I've grown tired of dealing with the idiots that frequent the modern day cinema, thinking that it's their own private venue to do or say whatever they want without any respect for the people around them. I used to go to the cinema all the time, but as the number of bad experiences began to be more frequent than the good experiences, and eventually it got to the point where every time I went it was a bad experience, I just gave up on it. I haven't had a good experience in a movie theater since the second time I attempted to see Quantum of Solace. The first time I attempted to see the film it was incompetence on the part of the employees of the cinema that kept me from seeing the film and ultimately demanding my money back from a very rude manager. It was at that point when I decided that, if both my fellow members of the "audience" and the cinema staff are going to be rude, then they pretty much deserve each other and I'll just hold off until a Blu-ray release a couple of months later.

I'm also not sure I'd label myself as an "ardent Bond fan". My interest in the cinematic Bond has, unfortunately, been waning quite a bit as of late, probably to the point where I don't see it being particularly worth the time or money to go through all of the nonsense it takes to go to the cinema and see the latest Bond film when I can enjoy it in the peace and quiet of my own home just a few months later. Like I said, though, I may make a trip out to see SkyFall in December in one of its later weeks of release to avoid the rude crowds if what I see from the trailers and TV spots looks promising, but that would be the absolute earliest I'd expect to see the film.

Edited by tdalton, 04 February 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#93 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Forgive my nosy asking but I'm shocked that an adamant Bond fan would wait and skip the cinema. I commend you for choosing viewing it in the way you prefer which seems to be DVD, but if I may ask, why do you detest the cinema?

Many different reasons, although it mainly boils down to the fact that the average moviegoer nowadays can't keep either their mouths or their cell phone shut for long enough to enjoy a movie anymore. I've grown tired of dealing with the idiots that frequent the modern day cinema, thinking that it's their own private venue to do or say whatever they want without any respect for the people around them. I used to go to the cinema all the time, but as the number of bad experiences began to be more frequent than the good experiences, and eventually it got to the point where every time I went it was a bad experience, I just gave up on it. I haven't had a good experience in a movie theater since the second time I attempted to see Quantum of Solace. The first time I attempted to see the film it was incompetence on the part of the employees of the cinema that kept me from seeing the film and ultimately demanding my money back from a very rude manager. It was at that point when I decided that, if both my fellow members of the "audience" and the cinema staff are going to be rude, then they pretty much deserve each other and I'll just hold off until a Blu-ray release a couple of months later.

I'm also not sure I'd label myself as an "ardent Bond fan". My interest in the cinematic Bond has, unfortunately, been waning quite a bit as of late, probably to the point where I don't see it being particularly worth the time or money to go through all of the nonsense it takes to go to the cinema and see the latest Bond film when I can enjoy it in the peace and quiet of my own home just a few months later. Like I said, though, I may make a trip out to see SkyFall in December in one of its later weeks of release to avoid the rude crowds if what I see from the trailers and TV spots looks promising, but that would be the absolute earliest I'd expect to see the film.

Back when I saw Captain America people were talking and the guy next to me was texting so the glare from his phone was shining right into the side of my face. I rarely go now. Last film I saw was The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo because I had begun to read the novel, Daniel Craig was in it, Directed by David Fincher. It was the one film I had seen in a quite a while where the theater was quiet. Good film too by the way.

So I see where you're coming from tdalton, and I completely agree with you. Hopefully you can get the chance to see it in the cinema and have a great time.

#94 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

It is amazing that people will go to a theater, pay all that money, & then spend time on their cell phone or just discussing nonsense disrupting the experience for everyone. There is a very nice all digital theater by me that is all but impossible to watch moves at because of people constantly talking & using cell phones. I only go there for the occasional matinee when the crowds are minimal. I've found IMAX to be a very consistent & pleasant experience. Maybe the people that go there are just more into movies or the higher cost keeps people more engaged but it's probably a little of both.

#95 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

I have the perfect solution for that. I don´t know about you, but here where I live there´s a couple of cinema screenings that don´t fit within the youngster generation schedules, so, only the reformed or pension bound people go in those especific hours. It´s as quiet as the grave, no pun intended. Best time to go see the new Bond film. You just have to take the afternoon off, or have a bigger luch hour, till 4p.m. ;) Matinees, like Dent said.

#96 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

I don't tend to have issues with noisy or disruptive cinemagoers these days - but it was an issue in the past. I think the main difference is that I'm now more of an off-peak viewer. Much quieter.

#97 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

I generally don't go to the theater at all these days with the cost of movies. I was going to take myself and my three oldest sons to the theater and it was going to cost $32.00. I must be a cheapskate, but I'd rather wait for the Bluray.

#98 winstoninabox

winstoninabox

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

I live in Tokyo and am a fairly regular movie goer (about once a month). I've never seen a person texting or using a cell phone in the theater. Before a film there are plenty of warnings here to refrain from using them. I'm astounded that anyone would have the cheek to use a cell phone during a movie. Unbelieveable. Don't the cinema's staff at least warn patrons to stop using them?

#99 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

I have to move to Tokyo then. Sure, there are warnings. I usually try to go to films on free early showings which seems to help. It did for Mission Impossible and Sherlock last month. Advance screenings have the advantage of 1) usually being free 2) having a dedicated audience who want to be there for the MOVIE 3) and have strict no electronics policies.

Electronics use is rampant in American theaters. In my experiences, people are no longer going to films to be sucked into an imaginary world. Instead, cinema is now just another social event. It's a starter course to a night of activities instead of the main focus. This may not be the majority but when a tiny little screen is lit up in the dark theater, the minority sticks out like a warning beacon.

#100 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:12 AM

I read horror stories about the theaters all the time on message boards. I must be one of the lucky ones then, cause I've never had a bad time in a theater.

#101 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

I've been doing a pretty good job of keeping my distance from spoilers, but I want to kick it up a notch this time around and avoid the trailers as well. I have enough willpower to stay away from them online, but has it been announced which movies will definitely be carrying them? I think that's going to be the biggest challenge for me.

#102 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

I generally don't go to the theater at all these days with the cost of movies. I was going to take myself and my three oldest sons to the theater and it was going to cost $32.00. I must be a cheapskate, but I'd rather wait for the Bluray.

You're complaining about $32 for four people to see a movie? That's a bargain!

I've been contemplating a viewing of The Phantom Menace in 3D (ugh... ) and a ticket to that would run me... wait for it... $16!! And that's not even including the extra buck or two to reserve a ticket online... and I'm not going to go to a movie without getting some popcorn and a soda... and maybe some Sour Patch Kids (I love those sticky b*stards)... so that's another $10 or so... it's just ridiculous to see a movie and even more so when amidst the setting of a metropolitan area.

I've mostly given up going to the theatre (MOVIE theatres anyway) due to the highly prohibitive pricing... but the absolute rudeness that I've seen on display in the majority of my recent cinematic outings hasn't helped either. I can certainly feel others' pain in that regard.

Oh, and...
Spoiler

Edited by larrythefatcat, 08 February 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#103 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

Oh, and...

Spoiler

Sooooooo tempting to push.

Also just a fyi, the spoiler under the spoiler tag shows up in the dialog box if the original author is quoted. So if anyone tries to be mean, unlike larry, don't quote them if you don't want to be spoiled. You have been informed.

Edited by Chief of SIS, 08 February 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#104 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

I've been doing a pretty good job of keeping my distance from spoilers, but I want to kick it up a notch this time around and avoid the trailers as well. I have enough willpower to stay away from them online, but has it been announced which movies will definitely be carrying them? I think that's going to be the biggest challenge for me.

I find the trailers are easier to avoid than the random & persistent TV commercials that will be running up until the movie release. Once we get a release date on the first teaser trailer, we should also find out what movie(s) it will be running in front of.

#105 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:31 AM

Huh. This is strange. I was trying - and failing - to stay out of the spoiler subforum for weeks. Then I lost my internet for 24 hours, and once I got it back, I've hardly been in there.

#106 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

You´ll be back. We all will be.

#107 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

Huh. This is strange. I was trying - and failing - to stay out of the spoiler subforum for weeks. Then I lost my internet for 24 hours, and once I got it back, I've hardly been in there.

The internet is a peculiar creature. She can lead you into unwanted places.