106 replies to this topic

#61 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:38 AM

Let's be honest, the only way to avoid that one would have been to live under a rock.

#62 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

Let´s be honest: the only way to avoid spoilers is to live with no media contact - or not talk to friends and family.

C´mon, guys, do you really think you can see SKYFALL without knowing anything about it beforehand?

#63 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

Let´s be honest: the only way to avoid spoilers is to live with no media contact - or not talk to friends and family.

C´mon, guys, do you really think you can see SKYFALL without knowing anything about it beforehand?

I'll try to, anyway. Sure, eventually there will be trailers, interviews, and the whole marketing campaign. But I just want to avoid knowing too much too soon. For now I'm doing ok. "Will I yield, in time?..." ;)

#64 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

I actually make a conscious choice to enjoy the year leading up to the film with all the speculation around all the little tidbits (and the big tidbits) that leak out. It does change the movie going experience, your train of thought will wander at key points (... "ah I rember this set from the spy pics posted", "that's a beach in Wales not North Korea" etc.). Still, there tend to still be nice surprises (Dr Kaufman in TND was a huge surprise for me at the time, really didn't expect it - great stuff).

So anyway, I know that my train of thought will be effed the first time I watch the film anyway. It's Bond. I can't watch it the same way as I might watch the latest generic action blockbuster that I don't really give a damn about. So avoiding spoilers does nothing for me really. I will always watch it through the eye of the critical Bond fan, looking for heresies or glimpses of greatness.

So instead of avoiding spoilers, I revel in the lead up and get myself a year of excitement, ending in the climax of the film itself and the (usually all too brief) period of reflection and review afterwards.

#65 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

Spoilers or no spoilers, a difficult decision it is.
Before DAD, I didn't really get to know a lot about the Bond movies before they were released. Trailers and maybe an article in 'cinema' magazine, or some interviews with actors who were on promotional tours. If one wasn't a geek, that's all one could get over here in Germany before the internet age.

Wasn't on the 'net for TWINE, but with DAD, I jumped on every little bit I could get (after I discovered this very site ;) ). There still were a lot of surprises for me, and I really expected to see a great movie (no, actually, I expected to see the best Bond movie ever). Well, we all know what happened... :D

With CR, I knew even more, even before most other people knew. Being a team member here, I saw it as my job to know these things and report them as soon as I get to know them. I knew the book, so I knew how it would end, no reason to stay away from anything. The only thing I didn't do was reading the leaked script. The biggest surprise for me was which scenes ended on the cutting room floor. I still enjoyed the movie and I saw it about 14 or 15 times in the cinema: Premiere and first public showing in London, ten three times with various parties at home, and after that, I decided that I'd go to see it every two weeks as long as it runs in a cinema within reach - it was on for 20 weeks. The DVD came out only two or three weeks later :D

For QoS, I decided that after a certain point (must have been in February or March), I'd stay spoiler-free as much as possible. I knew a few basics, locations, who's who and a few minor plot details. More surprises at the Premiere, but not many more. I had heard mixed opinions from people who were at press screenings, so I didn't really know what to expect. I liked the movie, but I still felt that I had missed something, so I immediately knew that I wouldn't stay spoiler-free for B23 (now known as 'Skyfall').

As said before, in order to avoid spoilers completely, one has to live under a rock. The fact that we'll get to see a new 'Q' in SF was big news even in Germany.

#66 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

As said before, in order to avoid spoilers completely, one has to live under a rock. The fact that we'll get to see a new 'Q' in SF was big news even in Germany.

did you really post that in an thread dedicated to being anti-spoiler? :P

#67 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

Depends whether or not you or someone else posts spoilers in this thread.

#68 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

^ Heavily agree Dave. I for one still enjoy being a part of this community in the capacity I can but I hope everyone respects that we do not want the tiniest spoiler in this topic even if we know a few tidbits ourselves.

#69 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

I've decided that I am going to avoid all Skyfall news post press conference besides any trailers.

... anyone wanted to take this trip with me?

This'll be quite challenging but I'm in.
Though I'll probably avoid teasers and trailers if I can; this time around, I want to be completely surprised and so forth.
I can't wait for Skyfall.

On a somewhat related note, I'm avoiding spoilers and such for The Amazing Spider-Man as well.

#70 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

I've decided that I am going to avoid all Skyfall news post press conference besides any trailers.

... anyone wanted to take this trip with me?

This'll be quite challenging but I'm in.
Though I'll probably avoid teasers and trailers if I can; this time around, I want to be completely surprised and so forth.
I can't wait for Skyfall.

On a somewhat related note, I'm avoiding spoilers and such for The Amazing Spider-Man as well.

If you're avoiding Spider-Man spoilers, then be mindful of the pez dispensers at your local candy store. I'll explain another time.

#71 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:40 AM

Though I'll probably avoid teasers and trailers if I can;

This I cannot do!
I've been dying for years to see the new Bond, so I'm looking forward to the teasers and trailers. I don't really consider them "spoilers", since they're just apetizers, really. For instance, the QoS teaser was wonderful and didn't spoil anything.

#72 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

The fact that we'll get to see a new 'Q' in SF was big news even in Germany.

I actually did manage not to know about it, until you mentionned it in this spoiler-free thread...

#73 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

I actually did manage not to know about it, until you mentionned it in this spoiler-free thread...

I think it's time for spoiler-free individuals' rights.

#74 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

What is with the spam above my post

anyways Trying to avoid as much spoiler as possible...just want to see the characters role and everything esle try to avoid as mention before

#75 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

The man´s just messing with ya Messervy, no Q nor Moneypenny in SF as rumours indicated. "They don´t fit in this story, maybe next time...but still Bond with a capital B...blah...blah..." speech by Dan-the-man in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo interview ;) Stay spoiler free my friend, if you can :D And don´t let anyone tell you M is a robot, it´s simply not true.

Edited by univex, 13 December 2011 - 10:55 PM.

#76 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

What is with the spam above my post

It's called a sense of humour.

#77 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

Zingggggggg!

#78 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:30 AM

James Bond dies in the new Skyfall, according to Wilson... :( :(

SKY NEWS: Michael G. Wilson "Bond may live or die"

#79 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

I get a lot of enjoyment from chasing rumours during movie filming, and separating fact from fiction, and therefore do not go spoiler-free. However, I have huge respect for anyone who manages it! Keep going guys. Only 11 months or so left.

#80 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

James Bond dies in the new Skyfall, according to Wilson... :( :(

SKY NEWS: Michael G. Wilson "Bond may live or die"

Cheeky b[censored].

#81 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

The man´s just messing with ya Messervy, no Q nor Moneypenny in SF as rumours indicated. "They don´t fit in this story, maybe next time...but still Bond with a capital B...blah...blah..." speech by Dan-the-man in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo interview ;) Stay spoiler free my friend, if you can :D And don´t let anyone tell you M is a robot, it´s simply not true.

Well that's a relief! And here I was thinking we might get a female M sending a blond-haired Bond on a mission where his loyalty to the Service would be tested... Silly me, really! ;)

#82 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:12 AM

Hey, it's been three months since we've last talked as a union. How's everyone holding up? I've dabbled in some pictures, though I refuse to listen to any further analysis by other forum members about locations, characters, etc. Just want to make sure the film is actually still filming. I actually haven't had a single plot point ruined yet (if there are any to be ruined). The official picture was cool this week. Probably exists as everyone's background. Anyone as abstain as a monk and not even peak at the pic?

#83 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

I haven't even looked at any picture! Untill now, I know nothing about SF except what I heard and saw in the initial press conference.
It's a challenge, but it's fun.
Besides, I know eventually it'll be impossible to escape the promotion, come October. So I might as well try not to learn anything now to at least have a bit of a discovery by the end of the year...

#84 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Very impressed by you guys. Without spoiling anything: I guess you´ll be in for a real treat!

#85 Baccarat

Baccarat

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hey, it's been three months since we've last talked as a union. How's everyone holding up?

Doing just fine, and will be all the better for it come November 9. Apart from the official picture, I came across one other photo of Craig/Bond allegedly from SF. And that was purely by chance on a newspaper website. I've no problem with the odd still; I just don't want the endless analysis, or to see the trailer.

#86 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

I've managed to stay pretty much spoiler free so far. Not being particularly excited for the film at this point, since it'll most likely be another 13 months until I actually get to see it, helps in this regard, though.

#87 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

I've managed to stay pretty much spoiler free so far. Not being particularly excited for the film at this point, since it'll most likely be another 13 months until I actually get to see it, helps in this regard, though.

13 months?! Also, that picture of Timothy you have as an avatar fills me with immense joy.

#88 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

13 months?!

I'm figuring that, if the schedule for the past two films is used again, we'll probably be looking at the DVD release sometime in March, which will be when I finally view SkyFall. Although I may end up going to the cinema tomorrow because I'm being forced out of my house for a couple of hours and have literally nothing else to do, the last time I went to the cinema was nearly two years ago, and I can't really say that I miss going at all. If I do see SkyFall in the cinema, it'll be towards the end of its theatrical run, so December will be the earliest I see it, if not then it'll end up being March, I think.

#89 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:28 AM

13 months?!

I'm figuring that, if the schedule for the past two films is used again, we'll probably be looking at the DVD release sometime in March, which will be when I finally view SkyFall. Although I may end up going to the cinema tomorrow because I'm being forced out of my house for a couple of hours and have literally nothing else to do, the last time I went to the cinema was nearly two years ago, and I can't really say that I miss going at all. If I do see SkyFall in the cinema, it'll be towards the end of its theatrical run, so December will be the earliest I see it, if not then it'll end up being March, I think.

Forgive my nosy asking but I'm shocked that an adamant Bond fan would wait and skip the cinema. I commend you for choosing viewing it in the way you prefer which seems to be DVD, but if I may ask, why do you detest the cinema?

#90 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:33 AM

...I'm going to guess costs; the price of a ticket is exorbitantly high, these days. :-/