This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Will Bond 23 Be Titled SKYFALL?

451 replies to this topic

Poll: IF SkyFall is the title of Bond 23...

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

...which is, as at 7 October 2011, still a girthsome IF... do you think it's

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Ultimately, do you think this rumour is...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

I don't particularly like it. Perhaps it grows on me, really don't know. That said I'm still not sold it's the real thing, regardless of the evidence.

Categorise that as MistrustFall?

(OK, that dun't really work).

#242 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Might the naysayers be persuaded otherwise if the title SKYFALL was the name of Bond's ancestral home?

Probably not. Bond film named after an inanimate object would be novel, though.

Slightly melodramatic name for a house, innit? Always think naming houses is a bit gauche but IF (a big if) there's any possibility of this, I suppose it's a "fun" way to acknowledge Goldeneye (the inanimate object) if not GoldenEye (the inanimate Pierce Brosnan).

I mean, what next? Thunderclap Cottage? Bullet Lodge? The Killings?

#243 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

Might the naysayers be persuaded otherwise if the title SKYFALL was the name of Bond's ancestral home?

Probably not. Bond film named after an inanimate object would be novel, though.

Slightly melodramatic name for a house, innit? Always think naming houses is a bit gauche but IF (a big if) there's any possibility of this, I suppose it's a "fun" way to acknowledge Goldeneye (the inanimate object) if not GoldenEye (the inanimate Pierce Brosnan).

I mean, what next? Thunderclap Cottage? Bullet Lodge? The Killings?

Thunderclap sounds like a viciously potent sexually transmitted infection. Perfect then, I suppose, for a film about James Bond.

#244 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

I don't particularly like it. Perhaps it grows on me, really don't know. That said I'm still not sold it's the real thing, regardless of the evidence.

Categorise that as MistrustFall?

(OK, that dun't really work).

But that's it, exactly. And it's more fitting than UntruthFall.

Not exactly my idea of Bond. He comes from money, but not from old money. Big difference there. The custom to dub houses would indeed befit the not-quite-yet-top-upper-class that's often more snobbish than the real thing, to make up for the time their ancestors lost before coming into money. But I don't think "Skyfall" is really what that clientele is looking for when inviting their set to a weekend of grouse shooting.

Edited by Dustin, 07 October 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#245 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:15 PM

I’m not a naysayer, but I would become one if that turned out to be the case.

#246 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

Oh, no. Please, no. Bond doesn't need a damn ancestral home. He's not the Prince of sodding Wales. Can't we please - for once - have a good old-fashioned unpretentiously entertaining James Bond film like, say, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN? No origin story elements, no unnecessary (and unFlemingian) background details, no personal missions, no peeling back the layers.... Please.

#247 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

Oh, no. Please, no. Bond doesn't need a damn ancestral home. He's not the Prince of sodding Wales. Can't we please - for once - have a good old-fashioned unpretentiously entertaining James Bond film like, say, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN? No origin story elements, no unnecessary (and unFlemingian) background details, no personal missions, no peeling back the layers.... Please.

One suspects you're likely to be a bit disappointed there.

#248 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

Well, if it is SKYFALL...

I like it because it sounds as if there is a lot at stake, like a "world could end"-scenario.

I´m still ambivalent because it also sounds a bit like a computer game or too generic.

#249 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

So is Bond 23 Skyfall?

What makes you think he knows? Zorin could be a caterer of some kind - that way, he'd know enough to know that cameras could be rolling, but not enough to know the title ...

"Zorin's Meals On Wheels". Take your own cutlery and help yourself to dessert.

And Mayday will provide you with a drink.

#250 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

Yes. Give an interesting meaning to it and I´m sold. Just like with QOS or TWINE, or... Zorin, I know you for a while now, and you´ve always seemed like a realistic person, with some good reviews and comments over the years, but from your comments it does seem like you have some inside knowledge. Do you? Or are you playing with the fans? ;) Just asking. Cheers :tup:

#251 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

It's not great but, hey; it's only a title. I lived through Quantum of Solace.

#252 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:02 AM

It's not great but, hey; it's only a title. I lived through Quantum of Solace.

Yes, but it had the Fleming factor ;) , I for one loved it as a title and found it to be very pragmatic not to care for the non-fan dilema of not knowing what it meant. My first reaction to Skyfall was...meh, ok for a video game. But give it context and I can love it. So, for one, I´ll wait and see. Who knows? It may turn out to be one of the most loved title (and plot) of the series, depending of what they make of it. I remember thinking DAD was nice, but then I cringed when Pierce uttered the line in the film. Cheers Mark.

#253 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:05 AM

If this is the title I hope this doesn't mean the days of Fleming titles are done.

#254 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:10 AM

If this is the title I hope this doesn't mean the days of Fleming titles are done.

Why would they be?

#255 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:14 AM

Why would they be?

The man just HOPES they aren´t and is stating his opinion. He can do that, I think. Unless you´re Richard Burton and he´s John Hurt And if that´s the case, bring in the rats :P Seriously now, I´m hoping that POAL will be used sometime in the future, it´s a nice one, as is Shatterhand (yes, I know you don´t like that one Shadow). Cheers Cap and QOS007 :tup:

#256 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:25 AM

Personally, I like the idea of conserving the Fleming titles, spreading them out over many years rather than blowing through them in a single binge.

#257 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

Save the remaining Fleming titles for introducing new actors as 007 (as EON will have to do soon if they can't get films out with less than four years in between).

Has it occurred to anyone that we and other forums might be an unwitting focus group?

#258 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:38 AM

Found this fan effort on the net:

Posted Image

#259 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:17 AM

Blimey.

#260 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:29 AM

Well, The Spy Who Loved Me turned out all right...

#261 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

Well, if it is SKYFALL...

I like it because it sounds as if there is a lot at stake, like a "world could end"-scenario.

I'm slightly torn about what would be worse as the name behind the title - an apocalyptic plot scenario, or the villain being called Barry Skyfall.

#262 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

Found this fan effort on the net:

Posted Image

I guess there had to be a way of getting the logo in there.

#263 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

Dude, we've got Sam Mendes directing. No way in hell are we losing the "This time it's personal" aspect. Sadly.

#264 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

Oh, no. Please, no. Bond doesn't need a damn ancestral home. He's not the Prince of sodding Wales.

I'm sceptical about the comments myself. When news first broke that BOND 23 was looking at a castle or manor home in Scotland, there was speculation that it would be "Bond's ancestral home" because Fleming gave Bond a distant Scottish heritage. I can understand production informing the owners of Castle Duntrune of what they intended for the actual scene - ie explosions, gunfire, etc. - but I can't work out why they would reveal details of the plot. I suspect Mrs. Malcolm did a little bit of independent research, found those early reports and took them as gospel truth.

Likewise, I cannot think of a single reason why Bond would "bring the villains to his ancestoral home" for the final fight. Why on earth would he do that?

no peeling back the layers.... Please.

What about peeling back layers of a plot. One of the reasons why I think THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS is such a good film is because while he's a weak villain, Koskov is cunning enough to fool MI6 into doing his dirty work by staging his own defection and abduction. I would not complain if the plot of BOND 23 had Bond trying to work out a plan like this.

#265 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

Oh God! "Skyfall" sounds terrible. I do hope it's fake news.
I know there will always be people who like names and those who don't, so I guess complaining is useless if this is eventually to be the actual name, but I'll complain anyway (just for the sake of it): it's daft and lame. Doesn't sound one bit correct. Even TND sounds better in comparison (which is saying a lot...). It's like your average video-game's name, like "Fall Out" or the whole lot. Why not call it "Skynet" and draft in the Terminator to help Bond?!
No, really, I do hope they'll come up with something more punchy. I mean, one of the specific aspects of Bond (novels & movies) is the name: original and catchy (OHMSS, YOLT, TSWLM, etc.). Granted, not all are great (DAD is lame) and not all are original (all the "die" and "gold" and "kill" afterwards); but on the whole the Bond experience lives notably through the extra-ordinary sense of original adventure that the names convey. "Skyfall" is, at best, unnoticeable.

#266 JLaidlaw

JLaidlaw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

I'm surprised that with all of the negativity in the thread I'm one of only 12% of people to vote the title as Dreadful. So it must be growing on people?

I doubt this is a hoax, but I am clinging on to the hope it is. The thing giving me some solace is that many fans have said they'd like to see a film called 'GlobeFall' over the years. Coupled with the existence of Gardner's ColdFall, this sort of thing suggests a lack of imagination that could only come from either an internet fan, or a multi-million dollar movie studio.

But- if Mark Monitor registers websites with deliberate spelling mistakes (ie. Quotumofsolace.com) maybe SkyFall is actually a corruption of the actual title. Maybe Bond 23 will be 'Skive All' - in which James Bond 007 is sent on her majesty's secret service to investigate benefit fraud (in what the Daily Mail describes as 'an absolute masterpiece')

Edited by JLaidlaw, 08 October 2011 - 01:28 PM.

#267 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

I'm surprised that with all of the negativity in the thread I'm one of only 12% of people to vote the title as Dreadful. So it must be growing on people?

I doubt this is a hoax, but I am clinging on to the hope it is. The thing giving me some solace is that many fans have said they'd like to see a film called 'GlobeFall' over the years. Coupled with the existence of Gardner's ColdFall, this sort of thing suggests a lack of imagination that could only come from either an internet fan, or a multi-million dollar movie studio.

But- if Mark Monitor registers websites with deliberate spelling mistakes (ie. Quotumofsolace.com) maybe SkyFall is actually a corruption of the actual title. Maybe Bond 23 will be 'Skive All' - in which James Bond 007 is sent on her majesty's secret service to investigate benefit fraud (in what the Daily Mail describes as 'an absolute masterpiece')

I don't think so. I'm sure the negativity will go away soon, I mean, I'm sure when Quantum of Solace was announced, people had problems with the title. Maybe back in the 60's, people had a problem with the name "Goldfinger". There is only so much people can complain.

#268 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:02 PM

I'm still not super-keen on Quantum of Solace as a title! Especially the way they seemed to try and make it into a pun (the baddies being called Quantum) which actually made it meant less sense!

#269 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

I'm still in the "SkyFall really that is what thye want to title it ok" group. Told it to a friend of mind who responded "Skyfall is Keaunna Reeves playing bond all of a sudden?"

#270 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

Yuck. 'Skyfall' reminds me of 'Beyond the Ice'. Can't decide which is worse.