This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Will Bond 23 Be Titled SKYFALL?

451 replies to this topic

Poll: IF SkyFall is the title of Bond 23...

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

...which is, as at 7 October 2011, still a girthsome IF... do you think it's

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Ultimately, do you think this rumour is...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:19 AM

Sounds legit. If so, I'd expect a press release within the next week or so confirming it.

As for the title, it does need time to cement itself, but my first reaction was to be underwhelmed. It really does sound like a Bond game title and would fit nicely along the lines of Nightfire or Blood Stone - less so among the film canon. I think Harmsway summarised why the best one-word titles work - it's just not unusual enough.

It's not a trailblazing title, yeah, but I don't see how it's any less evocative than Moonraker, Goldfinger, or Octopussy.

Because those titles have an uncanny quality that SKYFALL lacks. Sure MOONRAKER, GOLDFINGER, OCTOPUSSY are all essentially meaningless, but they are nevertheless evocative, a kind of surrealist word poetry. SKYFALL doesn't offer that. In short, it's not strange enough.

There's also the three-syllable factor. I don't think it's a coincidence that Fleming's one-word titles all contained three syllables. Even non-Fleming titles like Icebreaker, Brokenclaw or Doubleshot tend to roll off the tongue rather nicely (even if they lack the intrigue of, say, Moonraker or Thunderball).

Still, could be worse - and we should be thankful filmmakers didn't plump for another kill/die/live/gold/forever mishmash of a title. It's tough to come up with imaginative new titles, but not impossible. See: Carte Blanche.

Regardless of whether it is the title, it's great to know we're getting closer to Bond returning to cinemas at last.

#122 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:25 AM

You have no proof of it being a ruse. Your entire argument boils down to "I don't like it, so therefore, it can't be the title". Your opinion is not fact.

Calmly, my hot-blooded lovelies.

Whilst it may be a ruse, it does at least give us all something to talk about other than what fillum we've seen today or what colour window is the best colour window.

Quite easily it could all be a double-bluff - what is made to look like a shabbiliy constructed ruse that no-one in their right mind could possibly believe is actually a brilliantly devious deliberately designed shabbiliy constructed ruse mocking the internet and the experts 'pon it, and it IS Skyfall, and the enrolment of this member, minty fresh and new yesterday, is either to stir the pot a little more (or is whoever it is at the marketeers "doing marketing") and/or covering up the shabbily constructed ruse / a mistake by downplaying it most amusingly.

Alternatively I need to get on with some work.

#123 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

Calmly, my hot-blooded lovelies.

Jim, I am more than willing to discuss the possibility of this being misdirection. However, I believe that if someone is going to post something in such a way that implies they know something the rest of the forum does not, then they should, at least, share proof that they have access to that information (without actually revealing things EON would prefer to keep confidential for the time being) - instead of than posting their opinion as fact and expecting everyone to believe them because they're the one saying it. Is that really too much to ask? I think it is quite reasonable myself.

#124 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

...until it will be officially announced tomorrow or next week.

Why can't it be announced today? Is it no-pants Thursday at Pinewood, thus making a press conference inappropriate?

#125 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

However, I believe that if someone is going to post something in such a way that implies they know something the rest of the forum does not, then they should, at least, share proof that they have access to that information (without actually revealing things EON would prefer to keep confidential for the time being) - instead of than posting their opinion as fact and expecting everyone to believe them because they're the one saying it. Is that really too much to ask?

Yes.

Welcome to "the internet". A means by which we come closer together and a means by which we are driven further apart. S'great.

#126 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

...until it will be officially announced tomorrow or next week.

Why can't it be announced today? Is it no-pants Thursday at Pinewood, thus making a press conference inappropriate?

If there were going to be a press conference at Pinewood today, we’d know about it by now. Tomorrow, well, we may not know about it until later on today. As for next week…

#127 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

Loomers - ask yourself how you Might have reacted had you heard of the 21st Century Bond title of Goldfinger or Moonraker - had you heard them for the very first time.

GOLDFINGER would have probably had me a bit puzzled, but it's certainly distinctive. MOONRAKER, on the other hand, is elegantly strange. Both conjure up curious imagery and roll of the tongue pretty nicely.

Yeah. My biggest problem with SKYFALL, pretty much, is that it doesn't roll off the tongue. In fact, it sort of gets stuck rather awkwardly in the mouth. Unless you very deliberately and quite slowly pronounce the "sky" and the "fall" separately, drawing out the "fall", it sounds like "skiver" or "skyval"or "skylar" or somesuch.

I can picture thousands of people failing to hear it correctly the first time they hear it announced on TV as the new Bond film title, unless the presenter really makes a point of saying it slowly and clearly. "Eh? SCALPEL? That's the title of the new Bond film? What did he say, again?"

Even if SKYFALL is enunciated with due care, it still fails to roll off the tongue (let alone conjure up something bizarre, seductive and Flemingian - it sounds like some pisspoor, third-rate PC game). It just kinda.... hangs there. One waits for more, but it doesn't come.

These one-word Bond titles need at least three syllables, I think. SKYFALLER would be a pretty silly title, but it does at least sound much more Bondian than SKYFALL. SKYFALL is too matter-of-fact. It lands with a thud, like, well, something falling from the sky. But SKYFALLER? Like MOONRAKER, it sounds sleek, sinuous, mysterious and sexy.

But in the context of the film, SKYFALL could be very right, no? The Sky Is Falling is a phrase about the paranoia game, of those in power telling the world exactly what they want, regardless of the morality or legitimacy of their information. Imagining what Peter Morgan's involvement was (his ouevre is hardly wide) and assuming why Sam Mendes is involved (he was not brought in to direct DIE ANOTHER DAY AGAIN) suddenly points to an interesting look at domestic politics and who is pulling the strings.

SKYFALL is hence not a bad title.

Ahem....the art of disinformation is full of red herrings. Web domains are cheap. Well-crafted marketing and publicity campaigns costs hundreds of millions of dollars. At the risk of repeating myself, "Skyfall" is a ruse. Sorry to burst your bubble tight pants.

I mean, seriously, Skyfall ??? :rolleyes:

It is not just on domain names that SKYFALL has been written. Just saying...

#128 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

It is not just on domain names that SKYFALL has been written. Just saying...

You, sir, are an intriguing man, and one who has proven accurate in the past.

#129 Baccarat

Baccarat

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

If true, it's not great. But having a cool "Bondian" title doesn't really mean anything if the script isn't any good, as three of the four Brosnan films painfully proved.

#130 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

If there were going to be a press conference at Pinewood today, we’d know about it by now. Tomorrow, well, we may not know about it until later on today. As for next week…

Well, I don't really remember what happened last time. I imagine EON would tell all the media outlets that an annoucement was imminent, but I don't recall that trickling down to the fan forums.

#131 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

Well, I don't really remember what happened last time. I imagine EON would tell all the media outlets that an annoucement was imminent, but I don't recall that trickling down to the fan forums.

Last time, as I understand it, media outlets were told about the press conference about 24 hours in advance, we got word of this shortly after that.

#132 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

so when are we changing the title of this forum and moving the which fleming title do you want for bond 23 thread to bond 24 and changing the title?

it's 100% true and we all know it!

#133 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Last time, as I understand it, media outlets were told about the press conference about 24 hours in advance, we got word of this shortly after that.

Okay, that makes sense. No doubt forum members have connections to the press.

How long was it between the discovery of the domiain registration and the press conference?

so when are we changing the title of this forum and moving the which fleming title do you want for bond 23 thread to bond 24 and changing the title?

When the title is announced.

it's 100% true and we all know it!

No, it isn't, and no, we don't.

#134 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

Okay, that makes sense. No doubt forum members have connections to the press.

How long was it between the discovery of the domiain registration and the press conference?

If memory serves me well, it was about 2 days.

#135 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

I wonder if the film wasn't originally titled FALLING SKIES, but was renamed once the TNT series of the same name was greenlit ...

If memory serves me well, it was about 2 days.

So, all things being equal, EON will inform the press of the conference today and hold it tomorrow.

Of course, that also assumes that 1) SKYFALL (or some variation thereof) is the title, and 2) all things will be equal again.

#136 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

So much writing about seven little letters. If it really is Skyfall or SkyFall then I'm fine with it. Not realy very inspired sounding, but it does fit in with the Thunderball, Goldfinger, Goldeney, Moonraker style - as well as having links to a saying or phrase (falling skies always makes me think of the Asterix series, where the Gauls were terrified of the sky falling down on them).

Edit: although a google search brings to my attention a Manga series and novel of the same name. Not to mention a Transformers character.

Surely this is a merchadising nightmare?

#137 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

All of this speculation may possibly prompt EON to issue a press release confirming or denying this story, but I don't expect a full-fledged press conference until filming begins, presumably sometime next month.

#138 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

If there's no press conference for a month, then I doubt SKYFALL is the title. The entire point of the press conference is to announce the title. Why would EON let it float around on the internet for a month before announcing it? If they did, the likely response to the annoucement would be "We know!".

#139 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

Do they have press conferences just to announce a title?

#140 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

There's been a bit of both in the past - I think both QOS and CR had the title announced at the same time as the start of filming (and the reveal of a new Bond) but (from memory) at least one of the Brozzers didn't have a title when they had the start of filming conference.

#141 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

Do they have press conferences just to announce a title?

Title, cast, and plot details is the trifecta.

#142 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

Still, could be worse - and we should be thankful filmmakers didn't plump for another kill/die/live/gold/forever mishmash of a title.

While I am not a big fan of the modern Bondfilms, I think EON has been very good at picking titles since 1995. "Tomorrow Never Dies", "The World Is Not Enough" and "Die Another Day" are all excellent, IMO.

#143 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

Well, it;s 12:30am here, so I'm going to bed for the night. Hopefully I'll wake up to find the annocuement of a press conference.

#144 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

Well, it;s 12:30am here, so I'm going to bed for the night. Hopefully I'll wake up to find the annocuement of a press conference.

Sleep tight, Captain. There won´t be a press conference for SKYFALL.

And if there is, I highly doubt that this would be for a Bond film.

#145 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

There won´t be a press conference for SKYFALL.

Well, I'll be satisfied either way. If I wake up and find there is no annoucement of a press conference, then I think it's fairly safe to assume SKYFALL isn't the title. After all, why would they simply let the title be out there for a week where anyone can find it? It sort of defeats the point of having a press conference to announce the title.

#146 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

In this day and age, don't they normally have a press conference, when Not introducing a new chap to the fold, once they've actually started filming, and more often than not when they are introducing themselves to a host location abroad?

Tightpants, there won't be a conference as such just for the title.

#147 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

Yes, in all the years I’ve been following the making of Bond films, only once have they announced the title at a press conference (QoS) and that was the (slightly delayed) start of shoot, meet the cast press event with the title thrown in for good measure.

#148 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

Let´s wait for November when principal shooting has actually started. I do believe they will announce something then.

#149 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

Umm, the Hollywood Reporter has jumped on the Skyfall train and actually done a story about this rumor: http://www.hollywood...ll-films-245021

On the other hand, recently a rumored new Bruce Springsteen album with title and songlist was reported on widely after numerous media outlets went with the story based on a rumor which turned out to be completely fake.

#150 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:39 PM

Check it out. Helps to see it. I could live with this.

http://rnkfanartblog...of-bond-23.html