287 replies to this topic

#31 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:53 AM

Well, there would be no point in stopping halfway through, would there? ;)

#32 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:29 AM

No sir :), keep on with it, it's really good. You should do more scenes!

#33 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:24 AM

Like which one? There is not too much left in Moonraker. Of course there is the "Here is to us" and the paragliding cue, but these are very short.
The freefall scene is very tempting, but 1) there is a wierd ascending line underneath that I can't figure out, and 2) it heavily depends on forceful brass, which sounds never convincing on synths.

Give me a list of what you'd like to hear!

#34 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

I agree with you about the free-fall cue, would you be interested in doing something from any bond film? i have a few scenes i would like to hear redone.

#35 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

Those are very lovely; well done!

#36 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

Hi Jack is DEAD ON... VERY NICE!

It's not a wetness issue with the violins in the Gondola Chase... it's an articulation issue to my ears. You need to play the bond theme utilizing staccato and marcato string patches working together. It sounds like your just using a sustain patch?? Either way, it sounds a bit "soupy".

Just my 2 cents.

Rich

#37 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

This is coming along nicely. :tup:

#38 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

If we're talking other cues: View To A Kill has some nice stuff. The arrival at the Chateau, Zorin and Mayday's getaway in Paris, the end of the horse chase, Stacey arriving at the chateau, Bond hanging from the blimp on the way to the Golden Gate... all are quite short cues but pretty nice.

#39 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hi Jack is DEAD ON... VERY NICE!

It's not a wetness issue with the violins in the Gondola Chase... it's an articulation issue to my ears. You need to play the bond theme utilizing staccato and marcato string patches working together. It sounds like your just using a sustain patch?? Either way, it sounds a bit "soupy".

Just my 2 cents.

Rich

Hijack is dead on, really? I had severe doubts about the correctness of the winding harp line. Also, there is either a cello or bass line underneath that I have to add. The tremolo is also a bit stronger than in the movie.
And I do need to add the gunbarrel in front.

About the Gondola chase, I did numerous combinations of marcato and staccato patches, I probably tried three or four different ones. I know what you mean, there needs to be more distinction between the notes. I'm on the case ... ;)

With the "wetness" I meant the short Italian string interlude before the menacing low strings/brass intermezzo.

I'm glad you like it though, I was looking forward to your opinion on it!

Let's do Moonraker first, and see what else is there, ok?

#40 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

Great work!
However, going by the YouTube link that was posted here, I think something may be wrong with the flute at the 23 second mark of the Gondola Chase. It sounds to me like it should be: C-E-F-G#-E-F-C, rather than: F-G-G#-F-G.

Also, in Hijack, I believe the last three notes played by the horn before the andante part should be: G-G#-G', rather than: D-D#-G.

Edited by mattjoes, 19 September 2010 - 09:54 PM.

#41 mildcigar

mildcigar

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

These recordings are pretty good.

If you could do all the unreleased music for moonraker, and then TMWGG/TSWLM/OP/AVTAK and LTK that would be excellent.

Also I believe some music from Thunderball wasn't released.

Mild.

#42 Marcato

Marcato

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

i have the sheet music from a transcription i made long time ago on this piece

Bond themes are E-minor with a Db

Bond theme are Clarinet 1 - clarinet 2 are following same clarinet patterne as in MAY DAY JUMPS Bond Theme

Both violin 1 + 2 are unisone

Edited by Marcato, 20 September 2010 - 03:57 PM.

#43 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

i have the sheet music from a transcription i made long time ago on this piece

I know you did it a long time ago.
I also asked you if you could share the MIDI with me *a long time ago*.

Had you shared the file with me sooner (or at all ...), I could have done it much sooner, with considerable less trouble.

But I'm certainly glad you could promote your MIDI again.

#44 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hijack version 1:

Gondola chase part 2, version 1:

Mind that I'm not happy yet with the strings in the Gondola chase, particulary the violins. They need some serious wetness.
Also, the Hijack needs some additions, among them a horn section that doesn't sound ... like that.

Very nice, may I ask what program you are using to reproduce this music?

#45 Marcato

Marcato

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:01 PM

i won't share my sheet but you are free to ask any question and i will answer them - i think that it is imprtant taht you try out yourself becaurde you realy get into it - and how to do it

#46 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

Very nice, may I ask what program you are using to reproduce this music?

I use several libraries (SAM Brass, SAM Solo Session, SAM True Strike, Ultimate String Collection, Danny Jaeger Violins, VSL Brass & Woodwinds, and some cheaper Harp CD), Sibelius 2, Gigastudio, a Magix Audio Studio and plenty of hard listening. I briefly used MuseScore to work on the MIDI while I was away from my music PC.

i won't share my sheet but you are free to ask any question and i will answer them - i think that it is imprtant taht you try out yourself becaurde you realy get into it - and how to do it

Well, thank you. Frankly, I don't appreciate your professoral attitude. There are plenty of people who are able and willing to help me without that snob-nosed attitude.

It is not like I'm not able to transcribe it, I've been doing this stuff for more than six years.

I appreciate your effort of pushing me to become a better composer, but 1) I'm not a professional composer and don't aspire to become one, and 2) I doubt that learning how to become one includes the X-Men ability to listen through a wall of sound effects.

By the very same reasoning, I could keep all the recorded stuff to myself, put up a few samples and say "here you go, you can do the rest, tell me if you need help, but I'll keep it to myself".

I can "try out myself" as long and ferouciously as I want, if I don't hear it in the film, I can't know if it's right.

We're not talking about one of your own compositions, but another man's work that you transcribed, and not even fully. For doing these transcriptions for your own pleasure, you sure take a lot of pride showcasing them.
You probably think this is harsh, but had you responded to me in the first place, and not completely ignored me, my reaction would most likely be different.

#47 Marcato

Marcato

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:36 PM

You probably think this is harsh, but had you responded to me in the first place, and not completely ignored me, my reaction would most likely be different.

We can have that - But the door is open....

#48 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

Tonight, I will finish the Gondola chase.
And "Gunbarrel - Hijack" is finished as well, with new brass section.

And yes, the gunbarrel is SFX-free.

#49 mildcigar

mildcigar

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

Tonight, I will finish the Gondola chase.
And "Gunbarrel - Hijack" is finished as well, with new brass section.

And yes, the gunbarrel is SFX-free.

Oh my word - great stuff - Gunbarrel/Hijack and Gondola chase - the best of the missing cues, freefall excluded since already recorded.

Can't wait.

#50 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

Alright, here's the finished Gunbarrel/Hijack:

And here's the Gondola chase:

I'm looking forward to your comments on the ending of Gondola Chase. At first I wanted to aim for something less bombastic, but since the da-da-dum is the last thing you hear, after the Tritsch Tratsch Polka, I figured it must be there.

#51 mildcigar

mildcigar

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

Brillant. Thanks!

#52 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:35 PM

Great job, though for the Gondola chase there's a couple of musical features in need of correction. For the closing (DAAAH-DUM DOOOOOM) figure, the harmony you overlaid with the horns is all wrong.

You've interpreted the chord as an Em6 (E-G-B-C#) whereas it's a really a highly dissonant E minor/maj9th (Standard root position being - E-G-B-D#-F#, but can also be arranged into a multitude of inversions). For even more cracking dissonance, you could try voicing it as an E minor/major #11th (Essentially the same chord as before, with an A# for added measure) - which could also be seen as a polychord of E minor and D# minor.

The trumpets, high winds and so forth, should be playing (B-D#-E-G-A#-B-) or some variation of that.

However the horn figure accompanying this, is - F#-E (Rest) - F#-E (Rest, then up to:) - B-A-G-F#-E.

#53 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:50 PM

Yes, the horns kind of stick out.
However, I didn't much except for adding these two horn notes, the rest is the Barry recording of the gunbarrel. So do you mean the da-da-dum is out of pitch for the whole piece, or that just my two horn additions are out of tune?

#54 JADSTERSDAD

JADSTERSDAD

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

Brilliant! Are we able to have mp3's uploaded somewhere? Thanks.

#55 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:56 PM

Yes, the horns kind of stick out.
However, I didn't much except for adding these two horn notes, the rest is the Barry recording of the gunbarrel. So do you mean the da-da-dum is out of pitch for the whole piece, or that just my two horn additions are out of tune?

Yes, those 2 horn additions. Though I think Barry used 6 horns (possibly even 8) for this score.

#56 Bond... Raybond

Bond... Raybond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:27 PM

I just wanted to add my congratulations on your efforts re-recording these Moonraker tracks. Very well done. I've been wondering recently why fans, who have the musical ability, do not try to do their own recordings of these unreleased scores/tracks. Sadly I have no musical talent, I only know what music I like and look up to others who are willing to have a go.

There are others here who have given and can continue to give you advice on how to improve your compositions. Hopefully they will mean it in the best of intentions and you'll be able to use it well. Please keep going as these are superb. Certainly this is the closest we seem to be getting to hearing these tracks, without the rest of the film audio getting in the way, for a while yet.

I think you will have the rest of us in your debt if you did a few other keys missing tracks from this and other Bond scores.

Excellent work on these though. I shall definitely have to re-edit a new Moonraker score.

#57 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

Another missing track from Moonraker that I had forgotten about: Drax's Shuttle Takes Off.

Heard when Bond and Holly are trapped in the reinforced concrete atrium beneath the shuttle, before Bond blows the airvent his explosive watch.

Features low trombones, tubas, horns, bass clarinet, bassoons and contrabassoon. Possibly strings too, and maybe piano.

#58 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

Well, I don't have a Bass Clarinet :(
But I thought about that cue as well. However, the paragliding scene tickles me more first.

As for the gunbarrel: I have no idea why I kept the two horn parts. The thing is, at first I wanted to record the gunbarrel music myself, but had to realise pretty quickly that it is just not possible - with my means - to achieve a real crisp brass sound that doesn't sound feeble.
So, these horns are the sole remnants of that failed attempt, and I was so tired yesterday that I kept them in because I wanted to present you the whole thing.
No doubt they will be gone in a slightly improved version (Bass pizz ....)

And since the beginning of the gunbarrel version from the end of the Gondola chase is cut off in the film, I had to use the movie opening, and the tail end of the Gondola Chase gunbarrel to smooth it out.

So, yes, I will provide MP3s (or lossless if desired) to whoever sends me a PM, but not until there is nothing more I can do to improve it.

The Hijack piece, however, you can have right away.

#59 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:01 AM

Great work! The ending part of Hijack is even better now, very Barryesque. Nice work fixing the limp ending of that gunbarrel track as well.

In the Gondola Chase, yeah, the horns sound a little off playing against the opening part of the gunbarrel. But I don't think it's even necessary to include that part; after all, in the film it comes after the polka music, and is probably tracked. A more natural way to wrap the piece would be to place the ending part beginning at 2:16 right at 2:07. I imagine Barry would've done it that way. ;)
Also, at 1:19 the flute should in fact play D-G(lower octave)-G-F#.

Looking forward to the rest!

#60 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:35 AM

That would be a more practical solution indeed.

What rest are you referring to? ;)