287 replies to this topic

#1 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:30 PM

For an eternity now, I have a DVD rip of Moonraker's Gondola Chase on my hard drive, that I wanted to transcribe and record with my array of samples. Tonight, I finally got to do so, and here are the first 45 seconds of it.

At some point, I may put up the sheet music, but my transcripts are usually a bit messy, so don't count on it ;)
It may also take a few weeks until I'm actually done with this; I'm not an ace at figuring out orchestrations by ear.
Plus, the Bond theme in the beginning features a musette, of which I don't have samples. I'm trying to sort of mimic the sound a bit by using a cello con sordino.

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:31 PM

That sounds brilliant!

#3 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:40 PM

I think it sounds better than I expected; for one hour's work at least ;)

As far as the rest of the cue is concerned, I'm not sure yet how to handle it, or the arrangement, to be precise. Because if you listen to the piece closely, you'll notice some edits were made in the film.
The piece just cuts off before you hear the classical piece over the hovercraft sequence, and at the very end, the "dada-dum" seems to be tracked in from the freefall scene.

When I'm finished with this one, I think I'm going to do the short but sweet paragliding cue next.

#4 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:42 PM

Plus, the Bond theme in the beginning features a musette, of which I don't have samples. I'm trying to sort of mimic the sound a bit by using a cello con sordino.

Why not try with an Oboe (if you have samples of that)?

#5 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

You know, I actually thought of that, but I ran out of time and decided to try to cello first. I'll definitely try the oboe as well.
I have samples of pretty much every instrument in the orchestra (VSL, SAM), plus tons of percussion (SAM True Strike), but a musette, sadly, is not among them.

My equipment isn't quite up to date, but I'm making my best effort :)

#6 Leo R.

Leo R.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:25 AM

Sounds great!
Please make some more!

#7 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:52 AM

I definitely will.

You know, as I am scanning Moonraker to find unreleased bits, I am struck by one thing: the movie is not much shorter than the recent movies, but John Barry wrote about 20+ minutes LESS music than David Arnold, and the music succeeds infinitely more in leaving an impression and giving the film a distinct feel.

#8 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

Your 45 second clip sounds excellent. :tup: Looking forward to the finished cue.

#9 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

This is fantastic, but is it just me or is it missing a harp?

#10 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

This is fantastic, but is it just me or is it missing a harp?

Can you point me towards the bits where you hear a harp in the film? That would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Christ, you're right! I just repeatedly watched the scene, and I clearly heard it! There is also a bit of additional wind orchestration that is completely inaudible in the DVD rip.

Thank you!

It's damn hard to hear the harp line underneath the film.

#11 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

Not bad mate!

Don't forget a lower octave piano over the descending cello line at the tail end there as well. You could even spruce / update this up some more by adding in some brass, a bass guitar over the cello line (mixed REALLY low), and some timpani.

Rich

#12 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

I've considered that, but first, I want to get as close to the original as possible, and then see what would sound good without losing the tone of the cue.

Of course you're a professional now, and have a much better ear for that, so I would really appreciate your suggestions!

#13 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

Nice job.

The harp at the beginning playing the 3 note chromatic vamp of the Bond theme (In this case - Fm -> Db -> Fm6) playing chords. Barry almost always doubles low foreboding cello figures with contrabasses, bassoons, contrabassoons, piano, possibly bass clarinet and sometimes low harp.

I can't remember this cue very well, but there could be 4 or 6 horns (with winds doubling doubling too) playing the chords as well at pianissimo. Horns tend to blend in very well with the surrounding texture, and are often found playing a three part, or four part (or more) harmony.

Could you upload it to a site such as 4shared, and post or possibly pm me a link?

- Shark.

#14 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

Do you mean the MP3 or a MIDI?

#15 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

Do you mean the MP3 or a MIDI?

The MP3, meaning the cue you ripped from the film.

#16 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

You can watch the scene on youtube (the harp, as well as almost all woodwinds aren't audible on my rip):

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=KWlmUHjuQRo&feature=related

I don't think the Harp plays the chromatic Bond theme - at least I can't hear it. If you want, I can upload a MIDI of the harp accompaniment that I came up with.

Does this link work?

http://www.4shared.c...Chase_MIDI.html

#17 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

Actually, the harp is just playing dyad sixths (Ab-F) over again it seems, not the chromatic theme.

#18 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

Not sure what a dyad sixth is (I'm not that firm in English musical terms).
You mean Ab - F downwards, not upwards, right?

#19 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

Exactly. Dyad means two notes together (i.e. major third dyad would be Gb-Bb, a minor third one would be a D-F, and an augmented fourth would be C-F#, or the enharmonically equivocal - diminished fifth - C-Gb - both sound exactly the same are known as tritones) and triad means three notes (C major triad - C-E-G).

F-Ab 'upwards' is an interval of a minor third, and downwards it's a major sixth.

#20 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

Thanks!

Here's a MIDI of the first part of "Moonraker Hijack": http://www.4shared.c...ijack_MIDI.html

It lacks a few instruments, and the fanfare at the end. And for some reason, the piano sounds like a MIDI drum ...
I'll get back to the Gondola chase on the weekend.

PS: Any preference as for which cue I should do first after Gondola chase? Paragliding or Moonraker Hijack?

#21 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:14 AM

So, I'm figuring out the orchestration currently, so I'd appreciate some input from those who really did study music.
Personally, I think there are things you just don't hear under the sound effects, so a few things remain intelligent guesswork.

As far as I can hear, the Bond theme (b, c1, c1#, c) is played by bassoon, clarinet and viola (I was thinking violin at first, but it sounds different ...), with Tuba, Trombone and possibly second bassoon playing E staccato.
The harp is doubling the Bond theme an octave lower on the downbeat, and I think so is the Bass.
The cellos, me thinks, are playing divisi e and g.

Then there is a short cello/bass interlude of descending triplets, over low brass.
Then the Bond theme picks up again, this time a bit different.

The tuba/trombone staccato remains, also the bass line, and also some clarinet/bassoon playing the b, c1, c1#, c, but now, the Bond theme is played more prominently on strings underneath, while the first violins and the trumpets play the guitar part. I'm not sure how the string sections are spread here.
My first choice would be the second violins playing b, c1, c1#, c, the violas playing e and g, with the celli doubling the second violins an octave below.
Alternatively, maybe the celli are supporting the violas, and also play e and g.

Sorry for being so ... elaborate, but I want this thing done properly.

EDIT: So, I'm pleased to say that the Hijack cue is fully orchestrated (plus added ending because it's cut off in the film), as is 80% of Gondola Chase.
I'm just waiting to return to my music PC this weekend to finally record it.

#22 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

Here is the basic sheet music for Hijack.

Attached Files

#23 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hi folks ...

I have about 1:30 of the Gondola chase finished, as well as a recording of Hijack, but my internet doesn't work at all currently, so Ican't upload it here.
I'll copy it on my stick and upload it at my friend's house (where I am typing right now), and upload it here.
I'll leave tomorrow for Vienna (Hollywood In Vienna), and come back on Friday, so expect the upload then.

Also, I may have found someone who can help me out with some lacking samples, so it's possible I can polish it up some more.

So sorry for the delay!

#24 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:32 PM

Good stuff my man, looking forward to hearing the 2nd part :),You did a fine job with it, sounds exactly like it does in the movie.

#25 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hijack version 1:

Gondola chase part 2, version 1:

Mind that I'm not happy yet with the strings in the Gondola chase, particulary the violins. They need some serious wetness.
Also, the Hijack needs some additions, among them a horn section that doesn't sound ... like that.

#26 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:50 PM

That was really great :)! Sounds better than the original one with the updated instruments!!! Every note is right on!!!

#27 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:06 AM

Well, it's not really updated instruments, it's just not in mono.

#28 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:22 AM

Well you did a fine job!

#29 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:00 AM

It's still not done, though.

#30 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:31 AM

Which parts are you working on? Are you like doing the whole entire boat scene?