This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The Feeling After Watching Quantum of Solace?

90 replies to this topic

#61 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

In all seriousnes Santa, when the movie does come out on DVD, you may want to give it a re-watch on the small screen. The motion on a small screen is not as dramatic. I found, for example, the shaky cam in the last Bourne movie to be less of an irritant on my TV than I did in the movie theater.

So, please give it another chance on the small screen when it comes out.

Santa already saw it on a small screen.

Ah, I see. Well, then it's hopeless Santa. :(

P.S. Do you get sick on roller coasters, have motion sickness or have trouble playing 3D video games?

None of you know what you're talking about. I didn't see it on a small screen. I didn't see it on a cinema screen either, as I think has been made clear, but neither was it a small screen. I could measure it at the weekend if it makes anyone happy.
And no, I've never suffered from any kind of motion sickness, I love rollercoasters, dodgems and all kinds of fairground rides (especially the one that goes round really fast and then the floor disappears and you're stuck to the side) and I didn't have any problem with the Bourne Ultimatum shaky-cam either.

#62 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

In all seriousnes Santa, when the movie does come out on DVD, you may want to give it a re-watch on the small screen. The motion on a small screen is not as dramatic. I found, for example, the shaky cam in the last Bourne movie to be less of an irritant on my TV than I did in the movie theater.

P.S. Do you get sick on roller coasters, have motion sickness or have trouble playing 3D video games?

None of you know what you're talking about. I didn't see it on a small screen. I didn't see it on a cinema screen either, as I think has been made clear, but neither was it a small screen. I could measure it at the weekend if it makes anyone happy.
And no, I've never suffered from any kind of motion sickness, I love rollercoasters, dodgems and all kinds of fairground rides (especially the one that goes round really fast and then the floor disappears and you're stuck to the side) and I didn't have any problem with the Bourne Ultimatum shaky-cam either.

I still think your dog is cute.

#63 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

I still think your dog is cute.

Well thank you, he is gorgeous. Here is his site:

www.myspace.com/zaccydog

#64 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:43 PM

Funny! :(

#65 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

Obviously a very intelligent dog. My dog couldn't talk at all. Bravo, you've trained him well!

#66 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

I was baffled by their decision to name Gemma Arterton's character after that old Candy Flip song. Couldn't they have named her after a song by a band more people would be familiar with? The Rolling Stones for example.

#67 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:26 PM

You're right Safari Suit. I went to watch it again this weekend at the uni cinema with two of my mates, one of whom hadn't seen it before. When he saw the closing credits, he bellowed with laughter, and said it's things like that the ruined what could've been a great Bond film.

#68 CaptainPower

CaptainPower

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

In the words of Tiffany Case
"O my God,you've just killed James Bond"!
I felt disappointed,irritated,fustrated,annoyed,short-changed and actually pretty pissed-off.

Thank you, I hadn't noticed your post at first but you've pretty much summed up what I didn't really have the balls to. :(

Edited by CaptainPower, 12 February 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#69 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

Here in the United States of the Americas, any screen that is not a movie theater screen is generally referred to as a "small screen," whether it be a television screen, a laptop screen, whatever. It's just a general term.

#70 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

Here in the United States of the Americas, any screen that is not a movie theater screen is generally referred to as a "small screen," whether it be a television screen, a laptop screen, whatever. It's just a general term.

You know what he meant.

#71 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

Mostly it was a bit like motion sickness.

That's because you never bought a ticket to see it in the theatre. You got a dvd with writing on it every five minutes (heaven knows what the quality of the rip was) and sat down with a giant tub of ice cream to view it.

No wonder you got sick.

Hardly a fair shake, especially when it didn't even cost you a dime of your hard earned money.

OMFG, it's like Groundhog Day! Once again, you don't know what you're talking about.

Did you pay to see the movie? Eon spent about about $200 million to produce it. Did you buy a ticket?

#72 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

This conversation has become about as interesting as listening to my grandmother tell me about how nylon tights give you thrush. Sorry for derailing the thread, people. I won't bite anymore, someone please remind me if I do.

#73 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:30 PM

I emerged from seeing SOLACE thinking (with slight if not total relish) how this film will upset those who base their interest in Bond on nostalgia rather than the future.

#74 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

This conversation has become about as interesting as listening to my grandmother tell me about how nylon tights give you thrush. Sorry for derailing the thread, people. I won't bite anymore, someone please remind me if I do.

...but did you :(ing buy a ticket? Did you pay to see the movie? :)

#75 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

You know what he meant.

Actually, no, he's correct. Here in the U.S., the term "small screen" is sometimes used as a coloquialism for a screen that is NOT a movie theater screen. All other screens, whether they be TV, computer, home video projector, or a large HD television are sometimes referred to as "the small screen". Really, no joking.

By small screen I meant that you did not see it on a movie screen. Here in the U.S., even a "large" screened HD monitor can be called "the small screen" (in comparison to a movie theater screen). "The small screen" can also refer to a television programs vs. a movie. TV actors are sometimes referred to as "small screen actors" and if they start making movies, they've made the jump to "the big screen."

#76 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

I'm beginning to think Blu-ray is even better than the cinema screen. I've already seen QUANTUM OF SOLACE twice at the pictures, and several times on the, uh, small screen, but as I've yet to see the thing on Blu-ray I still don't feel I've seen it at all.

#77 Dr.No07

Dr.No07

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:07 AM

I've now seen QUANTUM 7 times theatrically. It is the dullest, most poorly edited entry in the Bond series. Stunt performers risked their lives, art directors painstakingly planned set designs, location scouts found fascinating new locales--all to be wasted in a hatchet-job, horribly directed, edited and scored. The movie is depressing, without a second of suspense, the action scenes are incomprehensible to follow, M and Bond are bitter and nasty... The most over-budgeted Bond production with no pay-off and an insult to moviegoers ticket fees & time. Only blessing is that is was the SHORTEST Bond film.

#78 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:20 AM

I've now seen QUANTUM 7 times theatrically. It is the dullest, most poorly edited entry in the Bond series. Stunt performers risked their lives, art directors painstakingly planned set designs, location scouts found fascinating new locales--all to be wasted in a hatchet-job, horribly directed, edited and scored. The movie is depressing, without a second of suspense, the action scenes are incomprehensible to follow, M and Bond are bitter and nasty... The most over-budgeted Bond production with no pay-off and an insult to moviegoers ticket fees & time. Only blessing is that is was the SHORTEST Bond film.

Very well put, but you are giving it way, way too much praise

#79 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:24 AM

...It is the dullest, most poorly edited entry in the Bond series. Stunt performers risked their lives, art directors painstakingly planned set designs, location scouts found fascinating new locales--all to be wasted in a hatchet-job, horribly directed, edited and scored. The movie is depressing, without a second of suspense, the action scenes are incomprehensible to follow, M and Bond are bitter and nasty... The most over-budgeted Bond production with no pay-off and an insult to moviegoers ticket fees & time. Only blessing is that is was the SHORTEST Bond film.

I've now seen QUANTUM 7 times theatrically.

#80 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:19 AM

Fleming Fan wrote:

Badly written.

Daddy Bond responds:

No, it's not.

Fleming Fan wrote:

Badly edited.

Daddy Bond responds:

No, it's not.

Fleming Fan wrote:

badly acted

Daddy Bond responds:

No, it's not.

Fleming Fan wrote:

badly filmed

Daddy Bond responds:

No, it's not.

Fleming Fan wrote:

badly made, all around.

Daddy Bond responds:

NO, it's not.

Fleming Fan wrote:

An insult to any intelligent film fan and a horrid addition to the series.

Daddy Bond responds:

I'm intelligent (so intelligent, it's hard to cope with sometimes) and I wasn't insulted. It was one of the best of the series.

Fleming Fan wrote:

It is Jason Bourne-lite

Daddy Bond responds:

No, it's not.

Fleming Fan wrote:

with no thought to the fact that they are makng a James Bond film.

Daddy Bond responds:

You may have a point there. Forster MAY have thought he was directing The Hobbit.

Fleming Fan wrote:

That Euro-trash director

Daddy Bond responds:

Now, let's not bring race into this.

Fleming Fan wrote:

Marc Forster, prides himself on his distain for 007

Daddy Bond responds:

Another good point. I think I saw a photo of Forster wearing an "I HATE BOND" t-shirt.

Fleming Fan wrote:

but making sure that everyone make a film as far away from Fleming and Bond as possible.

Daddy Bond:

Another good point. What possible association could I see between QOS and Fleming's Bond???

Fleming Fan wrote:

Mission accomplished!

Daddy Bond responds:

But I did think it was a good fourth installment to the Lord of the Rings.

I rest my case

#81 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

I hope these conclusions didn't dawn on you until the seventh time you saw it, otherwise what a waste of six chunks of time and money.

#82 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:37 AM

I bet if you went again, that 8th showing would really cement it for ya. :(

#83 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:35 PM

I hope these conclusions didn't dawn on you until the seventh time you saw it, otherwise what a waste of six chunks of time and money.

Don't you see Jim? He had to go 7 times because he just couldnt make up his mind with the first six.

#84 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

If this is satire it's brilliant. If not you're a moron of the first degree. So you're saying that you've payed to see a film 7 times that you hate even though you've conbtributed to it's success? You're a complete cretin (if you're being serious btw).

If not sorry :(.

#85 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

I bet if you went again, that 8th showing would really cement it for ya. :(

How bout the 9th? One of these times, you'll realize it's one of the best Bond films ever. :)

#86 Darth Prefect

Darth Prefect

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:42 PM

Finally saw Quantum yesterday and found it to swing wildly between action scenes cut together so quickly they are impossible to follow and painfully slow scenes that go nowhere.

I found the girl even less interesting and the villain even less entertaining than the ones in Casino Royale, and that's saying something.

A good, solid, least favorite Bond film of all time.

My feeling after watching QoS? Relief that it was over.

#87 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

My feeling after watching QoS? Relief that it was over.

Too bad. I didn't like it so much on first viewing, but found it to be extraordinary on second and subsequent viewings. Such is life.

#88 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:34 AM

After I saw it in the theater I thought it was a pretty ok movie, but I found nothing really spectacular about it in any way. It was really like "blah" to me. I didn't hate it but I also just did not have the same feeling of excitement like after I saw CR or DAD. Saying all of that I've only seen it ONCE . Who knows, I might like it better when I see it again on DVD...or not. That is my honest opinion.

#89 Christopher006

Christopher006

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:04 AM

Hey guys! Hows it going? Anyways, is it just me, or did I have this strange feeling in my stomach after seeing Quantum of Solace for the first time and other times? It sort of felt like awesomeness mixed in with love, because every thing was so considerably good! Its difficult to explain. Do you know what I mean?

No. I absolutely hated it.

#90 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

This conversation has become about as interesting as listening to my grandmother tell me about how nylon tights give you thrush.

Best. Post. Ever.