377 replies to this topic

#91 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

I just watched the trilogy again recently and I've become a really big fan now (after initially being unimpressed). I can't wait for a Bourne 4. Frankly, the only necessary inclusion for me is Matt Damon. Greengrass might be good but if he's not at the helm next time then it's a good chance for a fresher looking picture. As for the other characters still alive, I'd like to see the young-looking ex-Treadstone lass come back (can't remember her name), but I really couldn't care if Pam Landy doesn't. I could do without all the operations centre interludes throughout the next film. Part of the fun of "The Bourne Identity" novel was the not knowing if the enemy was just around the corner. In the films it's completely telegraphed. I wouldn't mind seeing a Bourne film being brave enough to operate entirely from Bourne's point of view, leaving who or what is coming after him and when entirely a mystery.

#92 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

Here's some of the ideas they're working on for Bourne 4.

#93 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

Not enough shaky cam.

#94 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

They actually sold cars with... this?

#95 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

To prepare for Bourne 4, I plan to watch the first three, starting tonight. Hopefully, this thread will be an okay place to post a summing up of 1-3. Specifically, I want to reassess the impact of the change in directors, the development--if any--of Bourne as a character...and whether we did achieve sufficient closure on the amnesia front for JB to move on. Will let you know. Am looking forward to a jolly good evening with my new lady friend and some gourmet Lean Cuisine, soy yogurt and...maybe I'll be devilish...Naked fruit-and-veggie juice. What a way to spend a Saturday night!

#96 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

Even if BOURNE 4 turns out to be a carbon copy of SUPREMACY and ULTIMATUM, I'm certain it'll still be a far better film than most of the Bonds.

Why?

#97 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

Because SUPREMACY and ULTIMATUM are far better films than most of the Bonds.

#98 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

Because SUPREMACY and ULTIMATUM are far better films than most of the Bonds.

Oh. I actually liked all three although I do think that SUPREMACY was the best of them and ULTIMATUM the weakest.

#99 Gabriel

Gabriel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

I still think Identity was the best of the three. Doug Liman had the best handle on blending action, drama and humour in these films. Under Greengrass, they've become heavy-handed, overly serious and look like they've been shot by a cameraman who's having an epileptic fit!!!

I wish they'd get Liman back for the next film!

#100 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:49 AM

I still think Identity was the best of the three. Doug Liman had the best handle on blending action, drama and humour in these films. Under Greengrass, they've become heavy-handed, overly serious and look like they've been shot by a cameraman who's having an epileptic fit!!!

Totally agree. Doug Liman did a great job with The Bourne Identity even if it wasn't like the book. It's even nicer being that it's the one Bourne film that you can actually follow the action. It also has the best plot/story.

#101 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:57 AM

I've seen Ultimatum no less than five times, so I have to say that one is my favourite.

I don't see the point of doing Bourne 4 unless it's exceptionally good, and it seems Damon and Greengrass agrees with me.

#102 s.a.s. Malko

s.a.s. Malko

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

Totally agree. Doug Liman did a great job with The Bourne Identity even if it wasn't like the book. It's even nicer being that it's the one Bourne film that you can actually follow the action. It also has the best plot/story.

That´s my opinion, too. What really bothers me with BS and BU is not so much the shaky cam but the fact that they used the script from Identity again and only changed some names. The books are really good with an interesting plot and great sequences so why use nothing from them and instead kill Marie?! I really like the movies but I hate the nonexistent storyline. It´s like they stretched BI to a six-hour chase with no meaning.

#103 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:32 PM

That´s my opinion, too. What really bothers me with BS and BU is not so much the shaky cam but the fact that they used the script from Identity again and only changed some names. The books are really good with an interesting plot and great sequences so why use nothing from them and instead kill Marie?! I really like the movies but I hate the nonexistent storyline. It´s like they stretched BI to a six-hour chase with no meaning.

Because Carlos is actually real. The Bourne's often beat the living hell out of the Bonds, and are very well put together. The cinematography just isn't for everyone.

#104 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:19 AM

Well for those of us anxious for something Bourne like, here's the trailer for the Damon/Greengrass film Green Zone

#105 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

Wow, the movie is visually delicious. I can't wait. Man, I wish it was Bourne 4 in Iraq. B)

#106 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

Well for those of us anxious for something Bourne like, here's the trailer for the Damon/Greengrass film Green Zone

Thank God Hollywood is giving us another Iraq movie. Everybody loves those.

#107 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

Green Zone looks pretty interesting. Definitely a must see for me. I'm not too keen on the trailer music though, spesh the end. (!?)

#108 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

Man, I wish it was Bourne 4 in Iraq. B)

That's certainly what it looks like. GREEN ZONE looks more like an action thriller than the restrained drama I was expecting, and at least half of this trailer does indeed look like Bourne in Iraq.

THE HURT LOCKER (which I loved) seems like the kind of Iraq movie that you'd assume would be made by the director of UNITED 93 - a film with more emphasis on atmosphere, claustrophobia and suspense than on action. But GREEN ZONE looks more like the sort of Iraq movie Ridley Scott would make.

#109 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

That's certainly what it looks like. GREEN ZONE looks more like an action thriller than the restrained drama I was expecting, and at least half of this trailer does indeed look like Bourne in Iraq.

THE HURT LOCKER (which I loved) seems like the kind of Iraq movie that you'd assume would be made by the director of UNITED 93 - a film with more emphasis on atmosphere, claustrophobia and suspense than on action. But GREEN ZONE looks more like the sort of Iraq movie Ridley Scott would make.

Which I think may actually be the reason for these films turning out in this particular manner: to shake up most of our expectations. Not completely pull the rug, but give us an element of unexpected style.

#110 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

Hmm. Really feels like a "Bourne"-film. Has the same basic principle: Agent turns against his superior after finding out their true intentions.

That does not mean I don´t like this trailer or the film. I´m interested.

But I´m also a bit disappointed. I was under the impression that Greengrass and Damon wanted to do something else, a much more political film. Seems like they chose to go commercial and repeat the formula.

#111 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:31 PM

I was expecting a 2/3 hr lecture on how "calamitous" the choice to go to Iraq was by the Bush administration...this looks like it could actually be fun.

#112 s.a.s. Malko

s.a.s. Malko

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:33 PM

Wow, what an interesting new script, looks like they had leftovers from Matt Damon with a Gun!

#113 Gabriel

Gabriel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

Hmm. Really feels like a "Bourne"-film. Has the same basic principle: Agent turns against his superior after finding out their true intentions.

Well, given Greengrass and Damon are raving lefties, it's no surprise that they hate the military, the CIA and so on. After all, if it wasn't for the military, the CIA etc, they'd be living in the Soviet Union, which is clearly what they really want! B)

#114 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

Well, given Greengrass and Damon are raving lefties

And your evidence to support this comes from where...?

#115 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

#116 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

#117 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

Only thing I can think of is Geometry. According to Descartes, there must be a set of coordinates from which everything else is perceived as 'raving leftist'. B)

Not sure what it's telling more about, the object of observation or the observer...

#118 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

Well, given Greengrass and Damon are raving lefties, it's no surprise that they hate the military, the CIA and so on. After all, if it wasn't for the military, the CIA etc, they'd be living in the Soviet Union, which is clearly what they really want!

Why should Greengrass and Damon's political views matter to us?

#119 Gabriel

Gabriel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

Well, given Greengrass and Damon are raving lefties, it's no surprise that they hate the military, the CIA and so on. After all, if it wasn't for the military, the CIA etc, they'd be living in the Soviet Union, which is clearly what they really want!

Why should Greengrass and Damon's political views matter to us?

When Greengrass took over Bourne, the films automatically took a strong left wing/liberal slant. Remember Greengrass's attack on Bond saying that he represents the establishment while Bourne is the people's hero? Take a look at any of Greengrass's past work to see his stance.

Damon's affiliations to the so-called 'Hollywood Left' are well known and were spoofed in Team America where he was portrayed as a member of the Film Actors' Guild.

In The Bourne Ultimatum, they even had to feature The Guardian as the paper of choice to reveal the truth about Bourne, which is ironic as The Guardian's journalism has long been a joke, even among those who work for it!

Before Greengrass, Bourne was an exciting adventure film where a rogue agent from a secret black-ops division tries to bring down the enemy. It was fun. Under Greengrass, a political agenda became overt, Marie was stupidly killed off, robbing the films of their humanity and the films' supposed 'message' was relentlessly hammered home.

As far as I'm concerned, Greengrass with his humourless political tubthumping has spoiled what should be an exceiting spy series.

Edited by Gabriel, 10 November 2009 - 05:36 PM.

#120 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:51 PM

Well, given Greengrass and Damon are raving lefties, it's no surprise that they hate the military, the CIA and so on. After all, if it wasn't for the military, the CIA etc, they'd be living in the Soviet Union, which is clearly what they really want! :tdown:

LOL :)

Of course they'd have their meals,fine wines,toilet paper,Levis and various goods we evil capitalist pigs take for granted..etc. flown in from France! :tdown:

That is the huge irony of lefties: they hate the military, CIA, corporations and "authority" and yet they admire countries with authoritarian goverments that, while they provide free (crappy) healthcare, they deny freedom of expression, property rights,...etc and detain indefinately or kill their own citizens without due process whenever they please.

Re: Greengrass/Damon's politics: They haven't affected the movies-yet. As long as they are kick B) action thrill rides I don't care if a little subversive commie propaganda is thown in. I don't want all action films to resemble the 1980s red meat-potatoes Chuck Norris simple minded rubbish. Hell, QOS had a very leftish undercurrent and I loved it.