377 replies to this topic

#61 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

Will be we seeing adaptations of other Ludlum works, such as The Noun Adjective?

They’re having problems coming up with an action-packed script, since the story was written mostly without verbs.

Just as well, because I actually prefer his other, more cerebral piece, THE TRUTH SUBJECTIVE. I predict lots of division among fans on this one.

B) :tdown: :tdown:

I'm excited for a new Bourne. 2011 is going to be amazing for spy franchises!

#62 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

How come they went away from the books so much in the films?

#63 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

Yes, we do. Bourne is the most exciting franchise out there at the moment.

I wouldn't bank on that.

Bourne was good for three films. Best to leave it at trilogy, since we all know how well extending trilogies fares out ... (Star Wars...Indiana Jones)

Edited by TheREAL008, 21 August 2009 - 10:51 PM.

#64 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:35 AM

I've seen Bourne and didn't like it. I like Matt Damon as an actor and writer but feel he is wrong for this project. He looks too Howdy Doody to me. Also for a spy story I never bought into that mind wipe stuff. Yes, I actually know about brain washing and all, but not on Bourne.

Plus if it doesn't have Sean Connery it's crap!

#65 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

I liked the new style the Bourne movies brought to spy movies, so I'll obviously be watching out for Bourne 4.

The only problem I have with it, and the writers should have too: after three movies, there isn't anything left that Bourne should still have trouble remembering. And that's the whole selling point of the Bourne character in the first place. Without the amnesia thing, there's not that much different about him.

#66 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

I expect they'll end up turning him into some kind of all round action here. Plus, just a minor quibble here, shouldn't Bourne 4 be called Webb 4? Just a thought. B)

#67 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:02 AM

Plus, just a minor quibble here, shouldn't Bourne 4 be called Webb 4? Just a thought. B)

Technically. Oh, what a tangled Webb we weave.

#68 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:01 PM

I would be totally up for seeing a story with Jason in top form. He could revert to his Jason Bourne personality or retake the name for a mission then we get to see him without all the baggage. Because, though many people see the amnesia as necessary, I don't, I would love to see him full functional.

#69 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

Bring it. I enjoy the Bourne films. Not as much as Bond, but I enjoy them at their own level and if this makes Eon up their game, all the better.

What will be really interesting is if the Bourne series can continue to maintain a quality level and go further or will it run out of steam. The Bonds have had their ups and downs, but have stuck around for close to 50 years now.

#70 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:12 PM

He said he wants to stay true to the original character? Pasific isn't even a bourne book huh?

#71 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

Bring it. I enjoy the Bourne films. Not as much as Bond, but I enjoy them at their own level and if this makes Eon up their game, all the better.

Agreed. B)

He said he wants to stay true to the original character? Pasific isn't even a bourne book huh?

Apparently the movie is called The Bourne Legacy. No idea if it will follow the novel though.

#72 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

Apparently the movie is called The Bourne Legacy.

Really? Where did you get that info? I was under the impression that the title of BOURNE 4 had yet to be announced.

No idea if it will follow the novel though.

If it is going to be called THE BOURNE LEGACY, it certainly won't follow the novel. It can't follow the novel, because not only is Bourne a middle-aged man in the novel working as a college professor but (BEWARE SPOILER)
Spoiler

#73 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

They could explore why Bourne decided to join Treadstone in the first place. In the novels
Spoiler
In IDENTITY, there is a brief mention of whether Bourne has a real family. " Haven't really thought about it," was his response, and even with the way ULTIMATUM ends, the character clearly still has some unresolved issues. My idea for a title would be The Bourne Redemption. Either way, I highly doubt it will be called The Bourne Legacy.

#74 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

Apparently the movie is called The Bourne Legacy.

Really? Where did you get that info? I was under the impression that the title of BOURNE 4 had yet to be announced.

I read this over on Wiki...

The Bourne Legacy
George Nolfi, who co-wrote The Bourne Ultimatum, will be writing the script of a fourth film, which will not be based on any of the novels by Robert Ludlum. It will be known as The Bourne Legacy. Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass have been attached to the project from the start,[6] as well as Julia Stiles and Joan Allen now being asked.[7] The release date has been announced to be in Summer 2011.[8] It has yet to be revealed as to whether or not the film will be based on the novel The Bourne Legacy written by Eric Van Lustbader as a continuation of the Robert Ludlum's Bourne novels.

Yes I know, not the worlds more reliable source, but I felt I might as well post it up. B)

#75 s.a.s. Malko

s.a.s. Malko

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

The real problem with the franchise is that they used the titles from three books for one long movie with the same story that was made in three parts (what is realy sad because the books have a very interesting plot). So now they can only use some details from the books. As a big Ludlum-Fan I´m very dissapointed about how much great stuff they didn´t use instead of another and another and another chase-scene. I still liked the movies because they were great Action-Thrillers but part 2 and 3 had nothing to do with the books. It´s very sad that the owners of the books only were interested in money and nobody made a thought about the legacy of Robert Ludlums writing. So now they have the rights to all the books and when they start mixing different books my chances are very low now for a decent Matarese-Circle-Movie.

#76 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:30 AM

The real problem with the franchise is that they used the titles from three books for one long movie with the same story that was made in three parts (what is realy sad because the books have a very interesting plot). So now they can only use some details from the books. As a big Ludlum-Fan I´m very dissapointed about how much great stuff they didn´t use instead of another and another and another chase-scene. I still liked the movies because they were great Action-Thrillers but part 2 and 3 had nothing to do with the books. It´s very sad that the owners of the books only were interested in money and nobody made a thought about the legacy of Robert Ludlums writing. So now they have the rights to all the books and when they start mixing different books my chances are very low now for a decent Matarese-Circle-Movie.

They can still use the good unused parts from the books even if they aren't in a film by the same name.

#77 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:34 AM

Yeah I agree, they just used the titles and basically filmed "The Bourne Identity" in three movies. The Bourne Supremacy as a movie that followed the book closely would have been great...I was a bit saddened.

#78 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:59 AM

Apparently the movie is called The Bourne Legacy. No idea if it will follow the novel though.

Two movies called Tron: Legacy and The Phantom Legacy are under development, so I doubt they'll land on this one.

#79 s.a.s. Malko

s.a.s. Malko

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

They can still use the good unused parts from the books even if they aren't in a film by the same name.

Almost impossible in my opinion, because they diverted to far by making part 2 and 3 the way they did (killing Marie, no reference to an earlier marriage etc.).

#80 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:40 AM

It can't follow the novel, because not only is Bourne a middle-aged man in the novel working as a college professor

The same could be said for The Bourne Supremacy.....

If this series is to stand any chance at all of having legs, they really need to ditch Greengrass - having gone to extraordinary lengths to avoid the usual sequel pitfalls with the second movie, they dropped the ball with Ultimatum IMO; it's just a tired rehash of the preceding film with none of the character or plot hooks that distinguished it's predecessors and is nothing more than a series of mechanical and increasingly tedious action set-pieces. The overlapping timeline and crow-bared in romance only serve to highlight this and to be honest you could edit the last twenty minutes onto the end of Supremacy and not miss a thing.

#81 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:55 AM

It can't follow the novel, because not only is Bourne a middle-aged man in the novel working as a college professor

Which didn't follow the novel either. What's your point?

#82 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:10 AM

Plus, just a minor quibble here, shouldn't Bourne 4 be called Webb 4? Just a thought. B)

Well, quibble within a quibble. Perhaps Webb 1?

This could be the first of the Webb trilogy... Webb Identity, here we come.

#83 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:57 PM

If this series is to stand any chance at all of having legs, they really need to ditch Greengrass - having gone to extraordinary lengths to avoid the usual sequel pitfalls with the second movie, they dropped the ball with Ultimatum IMO; it's just a tired rehash of the preceding film with none of the character or plot hooks that distinguished it's predecessors and is nothing more than a series of mechanical and increasingly tedious action set-pieces. The overlapping timeline and crow-bared in romance only serve to highlight this and to be honest you could edit the last twenty minutes onto the end of Supremacy and not miss a thing.

I think getting rid of Greengrass would be madness: the plot of Ultimatum was pretty overstretched, yes: it's only the fantastic direction of the suspense and action sequences that made it so good. Surely you saw the Waterloo bit? Not sure how you could call that tedious.

#84 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

I think getting rid of Greengrass would be madness

While nothing's been confirmed, it seems highly likely that both Damon and Greengrass will return for BOURNE 4. Both would be in line for eyewateringly mammoth paydays.

#85 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:07 PM

I don't think they'll get rid of Greengrass. Imo, when he got on board, the series really took off. Yes, The Bourne Identity is a great movie, but I much prefer SUPREMACY and ULTIMATUM.

#86 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

I like all three and I think Greengrass did a great job taking over from Liman. So I'm not worried at all about Bourne 4 except about the amnesia element.

#87 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

I was relieved to read in a recent interview with MD that he wants the amnesia angle entirely scrapped in the next installment. Good decision--the fourth time would not be a charm.

#88 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:19 AM

That's great, I think it was be amazing to have a movie with Jason (or David) in top form on a mission. Take away the amnesia asides, make him even more brutal and focused and a normal person in the scenes between fights.

#89 Mike00spy

Mike00spy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:00 PM

Could they make him more like... Bond? Could they give this guy a mission to save the world? That would be highly ironic to me. I am pretty curious to see what they can do with this one.

Perhaps they can take a novel approach: They can have a CIA traitor out to kill Bourne and have an amazing car chase. Perhaps they should think about those ideas.

#90 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:13 PM

Even if BOURNE 4 turns out to be a carbon copy of SUPREMACY and ULTIMATUM, I'm certain it'll still be a far better film than most of the Bonds.