538 replies to this topic

#421 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

I want this villian to be creepy and terryfying because mi6 believe he's a myth/dead only 007 and M believe he faked his death

If Bond and M believed the main villain faked his own death, then it wouldn't be much of a shocker when he actually did 'come back from the dead'.

#422 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

And their intel would not be very intelligent...

#423 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

I think that they could make an interesting film designed around the idea of the film's supposed main villain being dead for the majority of the film. Maybe have a PTS in which Bond thinks he's dispatched the villain, and then be led to believe that somehow the villain survived only to find out that it was actually someone else leading them on a wild goose chase. I think that it would be a tricky plot to write, and it would require better screenwriters than we've had for the past few films, but it could be an interesting concept to explore.

I think maybe you take an idea similar to the LIVE AND LET DIE theory of having the deceased villain be involved in something that is in some way supernatural or has the appearance of being so to those who do not subscribe to their way of thinking, and then have that doubt creep in about whether or not those supernatural elements are at play when it appears as though the villain may actually be alive. Like I said, it would be very tricky to write, but I think that it could be the basis of a very interesting concept for a Bond film that it would at least be worth exploring.

#424 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

But that has happened before. My point was that the villain was dead already when the show starts. But it's not workable...not for a Bond film.

Oh, I don't know about that. You could have a villain dead from the outside who set everything up beforehand, just so long as he isn't acting entirely independently. Introduce another agent of Quantum and it could work. It would require more Peter Morgans than P&Ws and just how well it would go over with the mass populace is a bit of anyone's guess, but it could be done.

#425 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:19 PM

I tried to capture this concept in the Fan Fic Bombshell.
Where although the vilian was killed in a plane crash, a number of interested parties were
a) Trying to keep it a secret
B) Trying to recover a weapon the villian was carrying

Their reasons for doing this would also set up a double reason for the actions.

I recall also the Graig Thomas novel "Rat Trap"
Where the villian escapes, and is being pursued in oredr to hand him over to an organisation that were conducting a terrorist activity to ensure his release.

It can be done.

We also have the opportunity to use Twins; where one can be publicly killed, thus the element of suprise is retained.
This could be linked in with the supernatural element in some way.

#426 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

I think Tarantino should have done a Bond film. His movies always do good and are always amazing.

#427 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:56 PM

Slightly off topic I know, but I was watching a documentary including Tarantino the other day, and he seriously has to be the biggest B) I've ever come across. I can respect him as a director, but as a person, no way. I wouldn't want him anywhere near a Bond film, he's so full of himself.

#428 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:27 AM

Agreed. Tarantino comes across as a total B). Plus I just don't care for the man's direction, at least not in the three films of his I've seen; and frankly those three were more than enough. Keep him as far away from Bond as possible.

#429 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:40 AM

I do like Tarantino's films, but I agree that he is a complete tosser as a person and just wouldn't be right for Bond.

#430 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

Slightly off topic I know, but I was watching a documentary including Tarantino the other day, and he seriously has to be the biggest B) I've ever come across. I can respect him as a director, but as a person, no way. I wouldn't want him anywhere near a Bond film, he's so full of himself.

So, based on personality, not skill, you think he wouldn't be a good choice? I fail to see how his personality is relevant in terms of being a Bond director!

#431 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

So those that are saying Tarantino is a tosser have actually spent how many physical hours in his company? Just curious as to why folk are damning someone they have never met and assume the by-products of his professional life (interviews etc) are indication enough of his personality... What utter rubbish.

#432 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

So those that are saying Tarantino is a tosser have actually spent how many physical hours in his company? Just curious as to why folk are damning someone they have never met and assume the by-products of his professional life (interviews etc) are indication enough of his personality... What utter rubbish.

Agreed. But, big but, Tarantino is also using this facet of his public image, often to great effect. I have no idea how much of it is actually role (I presume most, if perhaps not all of it) and how much is the actor Tarantino playing the genius director Tarantino having a mid-level fit of artistic delusions-of-grandeur. Tarantino is playing this instrument really well and I very much suspect has tremendous fun doing it. But another by-product of the act is that he's easily taken for a not exactly likeable character. I don't think he minds very much, otherwise he'd surely cut the genius-act. Or perhaps he does mind, but simply enjoys himself too much to quit it?

#433 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

I would not judge anyone based on how they come across in any promotional media.

#434 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:32 AM

Wise decision, I suppose.

#435 AgentPB

AgentPB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:51 PM

Tarantino brings many things to the table one is his ability to bring suspense to the most mundane scenes. Watch Inglorious Bastards and you will see many sections dripping with tension. That being said he would want to write his own script and while he is probably better than P&W and I love his style I'm not sure he could pull off a Bond style script his characters are too crazy too memorable to really be believable as secret agents. My personal recommendation would have to either bethe Coen brothers (smart directors who really make wonderful movies) or Steven Soderbergh he can make a tight good thriller such as Oceans 13 and he has the substance to make a deep Bond film. Third would be Fight Club's David Fincher.

#436 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:32 PM

Agreed. Tarantino comes across as a total B). Plus I just don't care for the man's direction, at least not in the three films of his I've seen; and frankly those three were more than enough. Keep him as far away from Bond as possible.

What the hell are you talking about? On set he seems like a nice guy, he really tells people what a great job they have done after takes, for gods sake, he even makes his crew chant "we loooove making movies!"

Sure he can sometimes be arrogant, but doesn't mean hes a damn wanker...

Edited by DominicGreene, 20 March 2010 - 11:33 PM.

#437 Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

I just saw the "KICK B)" complete trailer.
Who should irect Bond 23?
I've got the answer : Matthew Vaughn, the "KICK :tdown:" director (who directed "LAYER CAKE" too, as you well know).
This guy has already demonstrated he know how to direct a thriller and it appears now that he seems to be very, very good to direct action sequences.
Waht do you think?

#438 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

Matthew Vaughn was a very popular suggestion around these parts a while back because of LAYER CAKE. I haven't seen KICKASS but I imagine he won't necessarily have blotted his copy book so much that he wouldn't still be a viable option. Certainly plausible.

#439 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:39 PM

I've been all for Matthew Vaughn for a while because of, like Vauxhall said, Layer Cake. Also his CV shows alot of versatility with Layer Cake, Stardust and Kickass being three very different films yet all three where both (to quote Empire) "Enjoyable and satisfying".

Edited by Orion, 02 April 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#440 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:46 PM

Great video
http://thebusinessof...r/main-content/
Mendes talk against 3D
Calls Craig, 'Danny', guess their good mates, well good enough mates for him to admit Dan gives a bad audtion and shouldn't have accepted Bond.
I like the guy, their is an element of Bond in him, a very arrogant swagger. I think he'll get Bond very well.

#441 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:50 PM

Great video
Mendes talk against 3D
Calls Craig, 'Danny', guess their good mates, well good enough mates for him to admit Dan gives a bad audtion and shouldn't have accepted Bond.
I like the guy, their is an element of Bond in him, a very arrogant swagger. I think he'll get Bond very well.

Great find and devoid of any 'bogus rumours'. B) Refreshing to watch.

#442 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:32 AM

Great video
Mendes talk against 3D

Great find and devoid of any 'bogus rumours'. B) Refreshing to watch.

I'm quite happy he will be directing 007 the more interviews i watch with him the more comfetable and excited i am he is going to direct bond 23.

#443 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

According to this article on MTV.com it seems that Mendes has left the Preacher project to direct Bond 23.

#444 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:50 PM

According to this article on MTV.com it seems that Mendes has left the Preacher project to direct Bond 23.

Seems more and more certain.
I think when Craig finishes Dream House in Toronto, EoN might at least announce that fact to counteract any rumours circulating, deliberatively or otherwise.

#445 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

Agreed!! :tdown: Thanks for the link Joe Bond...This seems to be legit..so hopefully EON will issue a press release soon confirming Mendes as director..(maybe also a title for Bond 23..but that might be hoping for too much at this point! lol B) )

#446 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

Great video
Mendes talk against 3D

Great interview. Seems like a cool guy, perhaps a bit of a traditionalist? (I know it's not entirely fair to extrapolate something so broadly sweeping from that short of an interview).

A confirmation of his attachment to direct would leave me fairly happy at the moment.

#447 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:58 PM

with Mendes 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
999999999% confirmed is it to early to discuss who we would want after Mendes.

I am curious where does Bond go after an Oscar winning director.

#448 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:08 PM

with Mendes 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

A Razzie Award winning director?

#449 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

A Razzie Award winning director?

so you think Joe Carnahan too?

#450 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

It really is SNN (Slow News Network) when who might be directing the Bond film AFTER the one currently not off the starting blocks needs discussion.

But all debate is good.