220 replies to this topic

#181 Cabainus

Cabainus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

I guess to bring back Moneypenny is not the problem - bringing back Q is.

Why? Because Q introduced the gadget factor that was an important element for the first 20 Bond films. But times have caught up with this - technical equipmen that seemed impossible in the last forty years now are available to anyone. Every spy TV show features at least one technical gimmick these days. Go to any electronics shop and you´ll be amazed what they offer.

So what can Q give Bond these days that is really surprising?

Huge problem, isn´t it? Maybe Q should be more of a weapons´ instructor like the Burton-Q as some here have suggested. Maybe Q should instruct Bond on fighting styles or the use of complicated computer stuff? Or he could be a kind of personal trainer for him - making him sweat, challenging him to develop more new fighting skills?

I always see Q as a weapons instructor rather than an eccentric gadget-master anyway, so this approach would be fine with me.

I couldnt agree more.

Firstly, I can see Moneypenny slotting back in quite easily, but is there really a need for a famous actress to be cast, purely just to provide viewers with some fleeting banter/flirtation. More often than not bigger actor/actress = bigger part, Judi Dench being a prime example. Her M practically gets as much screen time as Bond at present.

The issue with Q is that in 2009, much of the gadgets/equipment are either already widely available, else known to the general public. Therefore a gadget has to be more outlandish, perhaps in the way that the invisible Aston was in DAD. Bring back Q as an armorer, and let Bond function on his own resources. (The rubber, bulldog clip and ruler as an escape method in OHMSS being an example)

#182 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

The issue with Q is that in 2009, much of the gadgets/equipment are either already widely available, else known to the general public. Therefore a gadget has to be more outlandish,

Not at all. There's countless possible things that could be used - cyanide gas canisters concealed in pens, hypodermic umbrellas, paper dissolved in water, stun pens, knife pens, pad-lock guns, poison coated lipstick, poison coated chairs, fingerprint spray, whitenoise bug disrupter, temporary "x-ray" spray (for viewing information inside envelopes without opening them), submersible "hyper-sub" boats, ink-jets in cars and basic microdot/microfilm containers.

All of these are real, either current or Cold War-era devices, yet still surprising.

What about Quantum also having their own anti-Q, their own merchant of death? Could be quite interesting with the villains perfecting certain devices to be used later on Bond and/or his allies.

#183 Cilogy

Cilogy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:25 AM

Thought about this for a while and came up with a decision:

Hugh Laurie as "Q" and Emily Blunt as "Monneypenny."

#184 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

Billie Piper was my favorite of NuWho's companions. What would you have against her being Moneypenny?

Edit: Whoops, I replied to Mharkin's post without realizing there were several more pages of replies. He essentially was saying any of NuWho's companions could make a good Moneypenny, but that he really wasnt hot on Billie Piper doing it...though I can't imagine why.

#185 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

She's naff.

#186 St. John Smythe

St. John Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

My ideal scenario would be for Bond to meet Moneypenny at, I don't know, a bar or some sort of MI6 event, flirt with her voraciously, and then be surprised the following day when he walks into M's office to find her sitting at a computer. And ideally, Moneypenny would have known exactly who he was the entire time he was flirting with her.

And I wouldn't be opposed to her playing some sort of larger role in one of Bond's missions. I've always liked Moneypenny, whether it was Lois Maxwell or Samantha Bond (sorry, Caroline Bliss, but no, just . . . just no), and I think this would be the perfect time to give her character a larger, meatier role, establish and solidify her relationship with Bond, and then let her fade back into the flirty background in the future films.

As for actresses, I have no idea. I don't think anyone famous or well-known or already established should get the role. It'd be way too distracting for me. Although, I do love me some Emily Blunt, but she's too young.

#187 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

Billie Piper was my favorite of NuWho's companions. What would you have against her being Moneypenny?

Edit: Whoops, I replied to Mharkin's post without realizing there were several more pages of replies. He essentially was saying any of NuWho's companions could make a good Moneypenny, but that he really wasnt hot on Billie Piper doing it...though I can't imagine why.

I just think that she wouldn't fit into Bond. Plus, have you noticed, her overbite has gotten considerably larger, which has really done nothing for her looks. Agyeman would be cool.

A black Moneypenny, it's something new. B)

#188 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:27 PM

have you noticed, her overbite has gotten considerably larger, which has really done nothing for her looks. Agyeman would be cool.

She can't act.

And Billie Piper's dental work (or not) is hardly going to affect her roles in the future.

#189 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

I just think that she wouldn't fit into Bond. Plus, have you noticed, her overbite has gotten considerably larger, which has really done nothing for her looks.

You're completely right Mharkin, particularly about the growing overbite! It's affecting her speech now, particularly in 'The End Of Time' - it was really bad in that!

My number one choice for Moneypenny is still Emily Blunt.

#190 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

Just thought about this:

"Moneypenny" - one could take this name literally as a nickname and turn her into a number´s cruncher for Mi6. The woman who is constantly berating Bond for spending too much and creating too much costly mayhem. Yet, she does have the hots for him.

That could be a more interesting and timely take on the character than having her simply be the secretary.

Concerning "Q"... I just realized that he has the same inital as the new villainous organization "Quantum". - That could be a problem IMO. I certainly don´t want "Q" do be one of the villains. But maybe they will have to reinvent "Q" completely, even his name.

#191 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:09 AM

You bring Q back as "The Armorer". His function is to train 007 in all weapons, not just gadgets. Hugh Laurie is a great choice for the role. Still thinking on who'd play Moneypenny.

#192 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

Just thought about this:

"Moneypenny" - one could take this name literally as a nickname and turn her into a number´s cruncher for Mi6. The woman who is constantly berating Bond for spending too much and creating too much costly mayhem. Yet, she does have the hots for him.

That could be a more interesting and timely take on the character than having her simply be the secretary.

Concerning "Q"... I just realized that he has the same inital as the new villainous organization "Quantum". - That could be a problem IMO. I certainly don´t want "Q" do be one of the villains. But maybe they will have to reinvent "Q" completely, even his name.

How about Quantum also having their own anti-Q?

A morally-deprived sadist, experimenting (with a high mortality rate) his gadgets, toxins and tools on live subjects.

#193 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:31 AM

A morally-deprived sadist, experimenting (with a high mortality rate) his gadgets, toxins and tools on live subjects.

Now this is what I'm talking about when I call for fresh ideas. It's sick and twisted; I like where your head is at, Shark.

#194 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:47 AM

My shout for Moneypenny remains Rebecca Hall.

#195 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

As long as the actor doesn't ham it up too terribly, yes please.

#196 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

Posted Image

Rebecca Hall as Moneypenny?

Works for me

#197 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:19 PM

This works for me, too, on so many levels.

Actually, maybe not such a good choice for Moneypenny. If Bond walks into M's office and see this, he's likely to give her a good rogering right over her desk.

And while I like to see those kinds of movie as well, that's my other collection.

Edited by Eric Stromberg, 22 January 2010 - 12:31 AM.

#198 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:55 AM

Since Mendes is directing, how about Kate W. as Moneypenny? Or maybe in a short role as Loelia Ponsonby, Bond's secretary? I'd also love to see Dorothy Paul as Bond's housekeeper. Not May as she was in the books, but a savvy older woman, like Dench's M, who keeps him on the path and safe.

I'd still love to see a male M, though. Albert Finney, maybe as Messervy in retirement.

#199 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

Since Mendes is directing, how about Kate W. as Moneypenny? Or maybe in a short role as Loelia Ponsonby, Bond's secretary? I'd also love to see Dorothy Paul as Bond's housekeeper. Not May as she was in the books, but a savvy older woman, like Dench's M, who keeps him on the path and safe.

I'd still love to see a male M, though. Albert Finney, maybe as Messervy in retirement.

Winslet is far too big a name to play Moneypenny or Ponsoby whether her husband is directing or not. Indeed if the character of Moneypenny ever returns I suspect the choice will be a relative unknown because it's not a part you give to a rising star (Rebecca Hall) or an estabished leading lady like Kate W.

Edited by baerrtt, 22 January 2010 - 01:43 PM.

#200 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

Since Mendes is directing, how about Kate W. as Moneypenny?

That's not confirmed yet, but if Mendes was to direct, a Winlet appearance would be nice, but perhaps a medium-sized role would be best.

#201 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

I guess if Mendes directs Winslet will definitely not be cast - just to avoid any "oh, of course"-reaction. Also, she is just to famous on her own. We need a "Moneypenny" that is an unknown actress who can establish herself in the role.

#202 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

Plus if she were cast she'd hop it as so as her mister does, so unless Mendes ends up becoming the new Glen, which seems rather unlikely, it's not a particularly sensible choice.

#203 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:52 PM

Just thought about this:

How about taking this a stage further? Quantum hire this "anti-Q" for the expected ransom plot ("one trillion dollars, or the annual income of Goldman Sachs, whichever is the greater, or we unleash our expert's incurable "Satan Bug" on the world") - except that they haven't checked the references. This mad scientist is using Quantum because he wants to wipe out the human race. Not to start an undersea colony, nor to breed a master race in space. He just thinks the world would be better off without humans - permanently. Himself included -selfless of him, eh?

There have been one or two books and TV programmes recently along the lines of "a world without humans". And it occured to me - supposing some crackpot thought it was a good idea?

Really, there's only one man to sort this out. You know the name, you know the number.

#204 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

I really do wish Gemma Arterton played Miss Moneypenny instead of Fields.

As for Q, I still say David Tennant.

#205 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

As for Q, I still say David Tennant.

Yikes, no! That would be a retrogressive step.

Great DOCTOR, but not a Q.

I can see your Gemma Arterton feeling though. MONEYPENNY is a far more realistic character to return than Q. Let's see if anyone returns first...!

#206 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

My second choice for Q would be Michael Caine, but I feel that his character in Batman is too similar.

I agree with you regarding Moneypenny though, Zorin. She's more likely to return in Bond 23, rather than Q.

#207 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

My second choice for Q would be Michael Caine, but I feel that his character in Batman is too similar.

I agree with you regarding Moneypenny though, Zorin. She's more likely to return in Bond 23, rather than Q.

It's difficult. Q is a very old fashioned character with little to no leverage to be 'updated', unlike BOND, M and maybe MONEYPENNY. As Purvis and Wade have said - we all have gadgets. We all have communication, tracking, trekking, orienteering, information-bearing, relationship-forming devices on our phones let alone anywhere else.

#208 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

It's difficult. Q is a very old fashioned character with little to no leverage to be 'updated', unlike BOND, M and maybe MONEYPENNY. As Purvis and Wade have said - we all have gadgets. We all have communication, tracking, trekking, orienteering, information-bearing, relationship-forming devices on our phones let alone anywhere else.

Q would have to become some different character that is either less involved, focussing him on straight weaponry, or more, making him a kind of trainer for shooting, hand-to-hand combat, tactics and drills. Really hard to imagine this incorporated into the modern tone. The character has become pointless and effete and it's not easy to see where he could go any more. The team of technicians in CR and QOS is much more fitting into the tone and direction of recent years.

#209 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

As Purvis and Wade have said - we all have gadgets. We all have communication, tracking, trekking, orienteering, information-bearing, relationship-forming devices on our phones let alone anywhere else.

Do we also have miniature guns hidden in everyday items, hypodermic umbrellas, pepper spray cuff-links, tear gas watches, knife-pens, and clue spray contained in aftershave?

The team of technicians in CR and QOS is much more fitting into the tone and direction of recent years.

Doesn't mean that sterile and banal tone and direction, along with the teams you mentioned, has to continue.

Wake up and smell the 2010s.

#210 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

This mad scientist is using Quantum because he wants to wipe out the human race. Not to start an undersea colony, nor to breed a master race in space. He just thinks the world would be better off without humans - permanently. Himself included -selfless of him, eh?

There have been one or two books and TV programmes recently along the lines of "a world without humans". And it occured to me - supposing some crackpot thought it was a good idea?

Interesting scenarios, but people in, and affiliated with, PETA and ALF have already seized upon that idea. Some of their members have openly called for the total extinction of the human race, with Ingrid Newkirk even saying that humans are "the biggest blight on the face of the earth."

007's next foe should be an environmental/animal-rights wacko activist. They're the perfect villain: they want nothing but the total annihilation of the human species so that only plant and animal life may survive. They want nothing else, therefore they cannot be bribed or paid off. They can't be humored. They can't be placated.

A wacko environmental activist who prefers plants to humans? Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Step forward Dr Shatterhand. No need to include his alter ego Blofeld. Just develop this character as a main villain all on his own.