97 replies to this topic

#31 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, he was charming her. He wasn't holding her hand or anything. He was just sitting there persuading her.

#32 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

Yeah, he was charming her. He wasn't holding her hand or anything. He was just sitting there persuading her.

:(

I seriously suggest you watch that movie again. He had to break her heart by telling her her brother was dead then tell her to help her take down Largo or hundreds of thousands of people might die. No one liners, just the sad facts.

#33 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

I wasn't saying that Connery had more emotion exactly... but he had far more je ne sais quoi... personality I guess. And I'm sure Connery might have shown more emotion in a film like OHMSS (then again, considering how he was playing Bond by then... maybe not lol)

I don't know. I never bought Laz's emotion as genuine simply because I didn't buy his acting. That's what it was... ACTING... someone pretending to be James Bond... not embodying it, like say Craig or even Connery (in his earlier ones)

#34 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:55 PM

Like I said, From Russia With Love was great in terms of emotional depth but Thunderball, don't get me wrong I adore Connery as Bond but I didn't see any emotion on his face during the beach scene. He didn't show any.

He'd put his armour back on, Harky... :)

Through Moonraker in '79. I really think the style of the 70s Bond movies would have fit Lazenby very well, although DAF was still too campy to be an appropriate follow-up to OHMSS. It didn't have to be dour or miserable, but it did have to bring the story to an adequate close while being true to the characters.

Then Dalton could have taken over in '81, with Roger Moore starring in an epic one-shot Thunderball remake by Kevin McClory around the same time. ;)

Hey! You stole that from coco and me! :(

:)

#35 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

Like I said, From Russia With Love was great in terms of emotional depth but Thunderball, don't get me wrong I adore Connery as Bond but I didn't see any emotion on his face during the beach scene. He didn't show any.

I agree. That scene falls flat for me; partly because Bond is a :( in it ("Your brother's dead, but never mind because it means you can help me complete the job I'm paid for") and partly because Claudine Auger is decorative enough but has the depth of thin cardboard.

Contrast that with Lazenby in the final scene of OHMSS. He's extraordinary in it; it's pitch perfect.

#36 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

Lazenby was, I think, excellent in the role of Bond and although at times showed his lack of experience, in others he was superb, fight scenes, looking lost in village, death of Tracy etc. If he'd done another five or six I think we would look back on his tenure in the same awe and respect we give sean connery.

#37 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

I agree. That scene falls flat for me; partly because Bond is a :) in it ("Your brother's dead, but never mind because it means you can help me complete the job I'm paid for")

Since when has Bond done his job just becauses he's paid for it ? :( He cared about what was going to happen if he didn't find Largo in time.

and partly because Claudine Auger is decorative enough but has the depth of thin cardboard.

She was never really an in depth character in the books but she did have genuine emotion. Like when she told Bond that she didn't care that he left but she really did.

Contrast that with Lazenby in the final scene of OHMSS. He's extraordinary in it; it's pitch perfect.

That's unfair comparison really because dosen't take brilliant acting to be sad tragic moments. It's harder to be emotional when the situation isn't nessecarily depressing.

#38 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:45 PM

To be honest, I would have rather have Peter Hunt stay on the series longer then Laz. He should have handled the Dalton era.

Agreed.

And while Lazenby's acting in OHMSS might be the worst of any Bond in the series, I don't think it's bad so much as ho-hum. And he did have moments of brilliance, like "I can think of something more sociable to do" and when he calls Draco to plan the raid on Piz Gloria.

#39 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

More than ever, three's looking like the magic number. It gives us a chance to allow a new Bond to settle in and grow on us. It gives them security and freedom, no fear of wearing out their welcome. For Laz, it would also have given him time to grow as an actor and as a professional. He left with a reputation for being difficult. The reputation seems to have dogged him in subsequent films--and may have grown worse as his luck headed south (Bruce Lee's sudden death robbed Laz of the huge comeback he'd dreamed of). I'm happy for the one we got, but wish we had got three.

#40 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

It wouldhave been nice to see proper sequel to OHMSS, I rate it as the best Bond of the previous 20.

I've said it before, for it to be rated so highly by quite a few of us I don't see where Lazenby could have been atrocious (Yes Tightpants/Shadowonthesun I've seen your Avatar location on MI6 it's very childish, comparing liking Lazenby to child murder is very immature, grow up you little boy)

Yes Lazenby had the best elements of most of the series with the music and the cast but he sells Bond as vunerable like it needed to be and he didn't come across as smug ala Brosnan and Connery wouldn't have worked as Bond in OHMSS, all the plaudits given to this man, he didn't give a [censored] about the role and was all about the money and some of you put far too much stock in him.

With hindsight I'd rather have him than the dross that Moore gave us for the majority of his era, he's entertaining and a handful of his films are not bad but at least George tried to be Fleming's Bond unlike Moore's randy playboy.

#41 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

all the plaudits given to this man, he didn't give a [censored] about the role and was all about the money and some of you put far too much stock in him.

At that point yes. I still think OHMSS needed a better Bond though. Julian Glover perhaps ?

#42 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:20 PM

(Yes Tightpants/Shadowonthesun I've seen your Avatar location on MI6 it's very childish, comparing liking Lazenby to child murder is very immature, grow up you little boy)

Oh my God! That's horrible!

#43 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:27 PM

(Yes Tightpants/Shadowonthesun I've seen your Avatar location on MI6 it's very childish, comparing liking Lazenby to child murder is very immature, grow up you little boy)

Oh my God! That's horrible!

Say what? :)

#44 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

I agree. That scene falls flat for me; partly because Bond is a :( in it ("Your brother's dead, but never mind because it means you can help me complete the job I'm paid for")

Since when has Bond done his job just becauses he's paid for it ?

He hasn't. But I never suggested he did. What I was saying is that scene doesn't work for me because Bond is sending Domino (who's no Anya or Wai Lin remember) into the lion's den; a job for which she has no qualifications and for which he has been trained and is paid.

#45 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

That's unfair comparison really because dosen't take brilliant acting to be sad tragic moments. It's harder to be emotional when the situation isn't nessecarily depressing.

Well, that's too subjective to debate properly as every actor is an individual. But the fact remains that Lazenby's scene with the dead Tracy is far more effective, for me, than Connery's beach scene with Domino. But, then, that could be the quality of the actresses. Diana Rigg playing dead has far more vitality than Claudine Auger running and skipping.

#46 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

I agree. That scene falls flat for me; partly because Bond is a :( in it ("Your brother's dead, but never mind because it means you can help me complete the job I'm paid for")

Since when has Bond done his job just becauses he's paid for it ?

He hasn't. But I never suggested he did. What I was saying is that scene doesn't work for me because Bond is sending Domino (who's no Anya or Wai Lin remember) into the lion's den; a job for which she has no qualifications and for which he has been trained and is paid.

Blame Ian Fleming/Whittingham/McClory :) The Novel is pretty much the same as I recall.
I think in the novel, Bond feels more guilty and is a bit softer to her, and Domino says she hates him to his face or something similar.
For what its worth, I really like that scene, even though Bond is a :) in it.

Edited by BoogieBond, 04 September 2008 - 12:50 PM.

#47 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

He didn't ask her to kill Largo or anyone else. He asked to give a signal if the bombs were aboard. A simple yet risky task. That obviously wasn't an easy thing to ask either.

Edited by Mister E, 04 September 2008 - 02:14 PM.

#48 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

The amazing thing is, he could have done 11 Bond films, finishing off with LTK (a good film for a Bond actor to finish on) at the age of about 47. That's what I would have gone with.

#49 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

The amazing thing is, he could have done 11 Bond films, finishing off with LTK (a good film for a Bond actor to finish on) at the age of about 47. That's what I would have gone with.

That is kind of excessive. I think 5 to 7 films is alot better so that is 1981.

#50 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:10 PM

My thoughts exactly! age would not be a factor.

Edited by Colossus, 05 September 2008 - 11:11 PM.

#51 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:22 AM

After reading all the comments in this thread, I wonder if some of you have even watched OHMSS at all. Lazenby out of all the actors to portray Bond is/was the most inexperienced, yet he did an incredible job with the material he was given. With regards to his performance, the pros far out weigh the cons. Lazenby's performance imo easily outshines Moore's and Brosnan's performances. He should hae done made more movies.

#52 Golden Claw

Golden Claw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

I agree. Considering the circumstances, Laz was far better than Rodge & Brozza as Bond. He should've accepted the 7 film contract.

#53 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

One more for certain, because, really, what could it hurt? And then a third contingent upon definite signs of improved acting ability. If not, step aside and let Rog do his thing.

#54 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:30 PM

OHMSS-1969
DAF-1971

#55 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

For me it's obvious when Bond went saintly wrong... Laz should have sticked around and made

OHMSS
DAF
LALD
TMWTGG
TSWLM
Moonraker

Then call it quit rich beyond his wildest dreams, and let Timothy Dalton be the Bond of the 80's.

#56 Diabolik

Diabolik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

One was too many.

*runs*

Don't worry, I'll hold 'em off: OHMSS is one of the most atrociously-acted Bond films I've seen. The only reason George Lazenby didn't suck on a Die Another Day level was because every other actor half-carried, half-dragged him through it. He had his moments where he had a bit of a go, but I'd rather pour petrol in my eyes than watch him in the role.

Worst. Bond. Ever.

OHMSS was a great story, but poor male-model George couldn't act his way out of a paper bag (not that it's his fault, he had no acting experience before OHMSS and was clearly in way over his head -- he looked the part and did good fight scenes, but when he opened his mouth and tried to be sauve -- or angry -- or intent or...

It's just too bad they didn't make OHMSS right after GF like they originally planned. Can you imagine Connery starring in OHMSS in his prime and on the heels of GF? But alas, not to be. (Thanks, McClory!)

Edited by Diabolik, 18 September 2008 - 02:00 PM.

#57 Se7en

Se7en

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

i think that Lazenby could have done atleast 3 or 4 more Bond films. His acting in OHMSS was, i felt, amazing and if he had more movies i think the would have been of the same quality or even better.

#58 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

As many bond films he could have done without cutting Roger Moores reign short.

#59 Ultraussie (Jordan.adams)

Ultraussie (Jordan.adams)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:52 AM

He should've gone 'til '81! :):(

Little too extreme. How old is he now?
Anyway, I always felt he shouldve carried on to his Mid 40's.

#60 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

He should've gone 'til '81! :):(

Little too extreme. How old is he now?
Anyway, I always felt he shouldve carried on to his Mid 40's.

That would be 1984 or 85.