1146 replies to this topic

#31 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

Anyone know when Sony is releasing their new player? I heard June sometime. That's when I'm going to take the leap (and don't tell me to just get a PS3).

Zen, the 300 is to be released this month and the 500 in November, although I've heard the 500 may be out sooner. I would wait for it as it will have BD live and some other features that the 300 will not.

Either get a Panasonic BD50 or BD100 (the first finalised player coming soon), they are rumored to be the best even for SD vision.

The BD100 is rumored to have the same upconverting chipset as the BD50, which has a terrible up-convertor. I would go with a Sony or Pioneer, or if you want to spend loads of cash get the Denon.

Edited by SecretAgent007, 09 June 2008 - 05:33 PM.

#32 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

Topics merged.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:44 PM

Anyone know when Sony is releasing their new player? I heard June sometime. That's when I'm going to take the leap (and don't tell me to just get a PS3).

Zen, the 300 is to be released this month and the 500 in November, although I've heard the 500 may be out sooner. I would wait for it as it will have BD live and some other features that the 300 will not.

Cool. Thanks. I'll wait on the 500.

(EDIT: This was my 20,000th post!)

#34 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

If they have proper artwork, i.e what we saw on the posters - I will buy them, however we'll most likely get photoshopped crap that anyone could put together, with added airbrush effects.

Only other thing that would push me, was if they had some new features, but I doubt we'll get much (if anything).

Edited by Shaun Forever, 11 June 2008 - 11:48 AM.

#35 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:56 AM

I probably won't upgrade entirely to Blu-ray for a while. Only the discs that are giving me a bad aspect ratio (some of these still aren't in widescreen) and some discs don't like working in my DVD player. They're horribly stretch on widescreen TVs and look like Pan and Scan on standard TVs.

I'll never understand these damn discs. It's not my player or TV because every other disc I own but some of these UE's plays perfectly well.

#36 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:25 AM

Whilst I'm sure it is nice for those who have the inclination (and money) to buy them, I'm probably going to hold off for at least another 4-5 years before upgrading any of my DVDs, including the Bonds, to this newfangled Blu-ray contraption. Unless the Blu-ray discs promise to pay my way through college, the Ultimate Editions will be adorning my shelf for quite some time.

A bit off-topic, this, but I will admit that I was intrigued when Criterion announced their intention to start making Blu-ray titles. More so than the Bond titles, in fact.

#37 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

I don't know, but I'm guessing that for the first time, people will only get the films that matters to them, not the complete collection. I certainly will not fork out 35 $ for MWTGG on Blu-Ray, I'm happy with my UE that I will have watched maybe twice before the 3D version comes in 2022.

#38 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:14 AM

Cool. Thanks. I'll wait on the 500.

(EDIT: This was my 20,000th post!)

You post-counter, you.

#39 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

Posted Image
Six titles to be released worldwide this October

#40 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

Interesting selection of titles.

#41 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

Yeah, usually when they do these things in waves, they chuck in a couple of your more "unpopular" titles (read: Lazenby and Daltons).

#42 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

I think Thunderball will look fantastic on Blu Ray! I cannot wait to see the locations in HD! :tup:

#43 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:54 PM

Burnt-in, or player-generated captions? That is the question.

#44 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

Surely the captions won't be burnt on? That's not how the DVDs are (or am I misunderstanding completely?).

Reading the press release I get the impression that Dr No is the only restored one... or are they saying it's the one that's been re-restored???

#45 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

I'm talking about on-screen title captions and the like.

Burnt-in:

http://img98.imagesh...deneyebizg2.jpg

As opposed to player-generated:

http://img185.images...deneyepgur6.jpg

#46 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

DIE ANOTHER DAY on BluRay? Not even a death ray will save that film...

Odd choices as ever, but these releases are not for the fans.

#47 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:23 PM

When do you think we'll see some artwork?

#48 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

My guess would be sometime around August. In comparison, we first got a glimpse of the Ultimate Edition DVD covers (first released in July '06) in May of that year.

Of course, they might just go with the same covers currently on the Ultimate Editions...

#49 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

My guess would be sometime around August. In comparison, we first got a glimpse of the Ultimate Edition DVD covers (first released in July '06) in May of that year.

Of course, they might just go with the same covers currently on the Ultimate Editions...

Yes my guess would be august as well, though I'd like to see some artwork quite soon, though it seems unlikely.

#50 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:09 AM

Have they ever been? :tup:

#51 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:06 AM

Nice. Some solid Connery titles. Die Another Day makes sense because it is a more recent movie & it did well at the box office & on DVD so it is still in the mind of the average consumer. I'd have picked some other Moore titles but it's a good start.

#52 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

Have they ever been? :tup:

Exactly.

Never will understand their marketing concepts behind this.

#53 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

The films were chosen to be representative of the franchise's more than 40-year span. - Eric Doctorow, worldwide general manager for MGM Home Entertainment.

http://www.hollywood...ce7694ea20ac845

#54 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

I wish they would just do the first six to start with. I'd buy those on Bluray (well, most of them anyway). The rest I'm not so bothered for now.

#55 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

Yes.. very interesting. I would have expected something along the lines of, Dr. No, Goldfinger, On Her Majesty

#56 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:21 AM

Agreed on the fact that this is an interesting selection of titles. I'm very disappointed that there isn't a Dalton title included in this release, as the only film that I would want to upgrade at this point would probably be The Living Daylights.

Should be interesting to see what price they set for these releases. It seems, at least in my experience, that older releases generally go for either 24 or 35 dollars at retail, and I would probably guess that these releases would probably fall under the 35 dollar price tag, unfortunately, but either way I'll probably wait until they release a Dalton film to begin upgrading.

#57 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:48 PM

One thing makes me cringe when thinking of these titles - the price.

Fox is notorious for having the most expensive Blu-rays on the market with a MSRP of $39.99 each.

Going by current pricing on Fox movies, this 6 film set should retail at Amazon for around $130-$150, and for $200 at places like Best Buy. Using the same numbers, a 22 film Bond set a year from now would be $485-$550 online and $770 at retail. As big of a Bond fan as I am, and even as a Blu-ray owner, those new SD-DVD's might be enough :tup:

#58 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

There's just no way I'm shelling out £20 / $35 for a movie I already have. I'll buy a couple of the Connery films and OHMSS for £10-15 (I mean a couple) but the rest will have to wait until they are way cheaper (less than £10 a pop).

#59 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

There's no way the Bond are going to drop to 10 $ a pop on Blu-Ray. If anyone is into not buying them, great, just don't come around to ruin the excitement for those of us who want the best.

#60 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:22 PM

:tup:

Is that aimed at me?

I'm sure nothing I could ever do would ruin your excitement.

I'm merely stating the view that no matter how perfect the blu ray versions are, I simply wouldn't pay the full, initial price for them (the price will drop, substantially in the first 18 months). I don't think that's particuarly extreme.

NB: