219 replies to this topic

#91 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:55 AM

Regulars know I'm a confirmed TWINE fan. Sure it's got it's weaknesses, but it strove to be more than just "business-as-usual" and compared to it's "play-it-safe, stick-to-the-formula" predecessor, that's worth something.

Many of us have had a go at Broz's era, especially for being too formulaic, or too action-centric, or for having too many bad puns, or worrying too much about the video game tie-in; if those are the characteristics of EON 95-02, then TWINE is the odd-one out, and for me that's a good thing.

I've never been Broz-the-actor's biggest fan; yet strangely the Bond where he's got the most acting to do is, IMHO, his best performance and his best film. Whether or not you agree with how Bond is portrayed in TWINE, there's no doubt that Broz fills the role with more than the usual raised eyebrow or throwaway remark - something we think of when we criticise him as Sir Rog-lite, hybrid, etc.

DaveBond, you know I'm with you every step of the way!! :tup:

Thanks, plankattack!!

:tup:

I think some people are confusing this thread a little. I am sticking up for TWINE. It's not my favourite Bond movie. I don't expect people to suddenly love it. I just like it when someone says that they re-watched it and it was better than they remembered.

#92 Marquis

Marquis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 456 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:45 PM

*opens door and pokes head around the corner*

*quietly exits, slowly closing the door behind him*

#93 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

For Mr. Blofeld's and my eventual "TWINE" rewrite, can anyone suggest some story ideas/changes we could incorporate?

#94 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

For Mr. Blofeld's and my eventual "TWINE" rewrite, can anyone suggest some story ideas/changes we could incorporate?

I would say the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. Give Robinson a bit of background knowledge about nuclear bombs, and replace Christmas Jones with him. Have him help Bond out in the pipeline. Then, for any of her lines that may have been important to the story, you could just give to other characters.

#95 Golden Claw

Golden Claw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

TWINE is a superb movie and ranks among my top 10. It is by far Brozza's best movie. But I wish it had been done in 1991 with Tim in the lead, no Christmas Jones, no unnecessary explosions and shoot-outs. Then it would've been great. The PTS boat chase is great, but I wish the Cigar Girl had a greater part. I love the title song by Garbage, and it's a refreshing change to see Bond's emotional side. But most of what I want to say has already been said by other TWINE fans.

#96 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:16 AM

TWINE is a superb movie and ranks among my top 10. It is by far Brozza's best movie. But I wish it had been done in 1991 with Tim in the lead, no Christmas Jones, no unnecessary explosions and shoot-outs. Then it would've been great. The PTS boat chase is great, but I wish the Cigar Girl had a greater part. I love the title song by Garbage, and it's a refreshing change to see Bond's emotional side. But most of what I want to say has already been said by other TWINE fans.

Yay! I agree.

It was on ITV1 when I was in the UK recently, and I watched the PTS with my parents, who enjoyed it.

#97 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:17 AM

I just thought I'd bump this one up, to accompany the other TWINE thread - maybe they can live together?

#98 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

Hey, I just found a bunch of blunt instruments at the door, hope no one minds, I picked them all up and hung them by the door. Just a heads up, also, found a couple of telescoping batons. They are in the cubby hole by the instruments. Right? Right. TWINE? Okay, I enjoyed it. Its actually my favorite PB movie as well. I have to admit, it was very sad to see Desmond Llewelyn and realize that it was the true Q's last "Pay attention 007". It really seemed that Pierce had really come into the role of Bond by the time TWINE came around, and also, its a pretty decent game as well for the 64. Haven't played it for the Playstation.

#99 SolidWaffle

SolidWaffle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:25 AM

TWINE is good! Why do people hate it, LOATHE it?

Sophie Marceau can act!
PTS is original and neat.
Cool titles.
Excellent farewell for Desmond, albeit saddening.
A modern plot.
Carlyle is good too.
Yeah, there are some holes - namely, "Dr." Christmas Jones, but it's still a solid Bond film.

#100 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

Wait, there was a TWINE game????

#101 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

Does anyone else feel that, rubbish action sequences aside, TWINE was actually exercising the tone and direction we ended up with on CR? Most of the film is totally reality based spying and Bond exploring his emotional capacity. If the filmmakers had kept this tone and direction when making DIE ANOTHER DAY they would already have been standing in the territory that Bourne ended up taking over, rather than chasing it afterwards.

It peeves quite a bit that fan (and non fan) revisionists now seem to believe that the Brosnan era was wall to wall DIE ANOTHER DAY. Simply not true.

#102 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

Does anyone else feel that, rubbish action sequences aside, TWINE was actually exercising the tone and direction we ended up with on CR?

Yes.

#103 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:56 PM

Does anyone else feel that, rubbish action sequences aside, TWINE was actually exercising the tone and direction we ended up with on CR?

No. Even ignoring the action sequences we still got the terrible puns, Moore era sight gags, and poor production values. That's not to say one day a Craig film can have poor production values, but so far they're leaps ahead of Brosnan's films.

#104 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:01 PM

Edit- apologies JimmyBond, I made some errors in my original version of this post!

What are these alledgedly poor production values? I can only count the action sequences. Everything else was A-grade for me. Regarding the Craig movie comment, I also don't think all of QOS's prod values were first rate either, compared to TWINE (editing, action, visual effects, title sequence, etc). I will say that QOS has the vastly more imaginative art direction and costumes, in my opinion (whereas TWINE's are merely competent).

What were the Moore era sight gags, exactly?

Edited by tim partridge, 29 November 2008 - 11:15 PM.

#105 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:07 PM

Inspired more likely. The two cops getting sprayed by the Q-boat in the beginning. Bond driving through town in the Q-boat (crashing through a restaurant). The whole Q scene was rife with silly Moore humor, etc.

I appreciate that they were trying to go for a more realistic tone, but they didnt commit to it, they still had to stay firmly rooted in the formula. That's why I can't agree that the tone of the film is anywhere close to a Craig era film.

ETA: We can make this a QoS vs. TWINE debate if you'd like. But this really feels like the wrong forum for it :(

#106 Vanish

Vanish

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:28 PM

I like TWINE quite a bit, which may seem odd, as I'm usually very apathetic toward the Brosnan era. Sophie Marceau makes Elektra one of my favorite villains in the series, and the scene where she straddles Bond on the torture chair is one of the franchise's best moments. I really like the locations, the plot, and the return of Valentine.

Two things weigh TWINE down for me, though. The first is the film's wasting of Robert Carlyle, an appealing and versatile actor stuck in an underwritten and unsatisfying role. The second issue lies in TWINE's action sequences, which are unexciting and not especially compelling. Definitely a shame.

Otherwise, I find a lot to like about TWINE, and it rests somewhere in the upper-middle of my series rankings.

#107 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

I like TWINE quite a bit, which may seem odd, as I'm usually very apathetic toward the Brosnan era. Sophie Marceau makes Elektra one of my favorite villains in the series, and the scene where she straddles Bond on the torture chair is one of the franchise's best moments. I really like the locations, the plot, and the return of Valentine.

Two things weigh TWINE down for me, though. The first is the film's wasting of Robert Carlyle, an appealing and versatile actor stuck in an underwritten and unsatisfying role. The second issue lies in TWINE's action sequences, which are unexciting and not especially compelling. Definitely a shame.

Otherwise, I find a lot to like about TWINE, and it rests somewhere in the upper-middle of my series rankings.

Interesting comments, thanks.

#108 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

Yes, I think it certainly was. It might not have been a success, but it was a nod in that direction.

Inspired more likely. The two cops getting sprayed by the Q-boat in the beginning.

To be fair, that's no worse than the old woman with the grapes in QOS.

#109 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:45 AM

Inspired more likely. The two cops getting sprayed by the Q-boat in the beginning.

To be fair, that's no worse than the old woman with the grapes in QOS.

Actually, they were cherries, and it was meant to briefly forshadow the gallery sequence (wherein Bond and Mitchell hang and drop from a construction pulley).

#110 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

Foreshadow or not, QOS takes its bystander casualty scenes much more seriously. Just b/c a bystander gets involved in one of Bond's chases does not necessarily mean it's a 'gag'. Whether something is a gag is defined by its tone. The fact that the previous bystander involved is the girl who gets shot sets the tone for the fruit basket lady.

ie. Not a gag.

#111 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

But doesn't she comically stamp her foot in frustration? It seemed like a gag to me. Gags can still be used to foreshadow subsequent scenes, so I don't think that counts it out. Not that I had a problem with that little moment you understand. Not at all. And if I didn't know the cops in TWINE were from that lame pseudo-reality show from a couple of years before I wouldn't have had a problem with that at all. Far from the worst thing about TWINE IMO.

#112 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

But doesn't she comically stamp her foot in frustration? It seemed like a gag to me.

I don't recall foot stamping. I think she puts her hands up to the sides of her head, which could also be applied in a comical "aye! mamma-mia!" fashion if it were exaggerated, but it's not. It comes off as a very plain reaction, somewhat slowed by age and perhaps flavored with a little culture. It's a little sad, if anything.

Gags can still be used to foreshadow subsequent scenes, so I don't think that counts it out.

Which is exactly what I said. I started off with my point saying 'foreshadow or not...'

What makes it a gag or not is the tone, which I believe is defined at the beginning of the footchase. We certainly aren't meant to laugh when the bystander gets shot, and I think the same should go for the old lady. She gives us no reason to presume otherwise.

Far from the worst thing about TWINE IMO.

You got that right.

#113 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

TWINE is OK as a Bond movie. It seems to get a hard time here, but I do like it in it's way. There is much worse in the series. It's better than DAD, that's for sure!

#114 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:43 PM

It's better than DAD, that's for sure!

Not for me.

#115 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:08 PM

Not for me.

Me neither.

#116 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:01 AM

Not for me.

Me neither.

Thirded.

#117 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

Why, I do believe, I hear the crickets chirping...

#118 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:31 PM

It's not the crickets that are the problem, so much as the exterminators. And yes, I've been one of them.

Poor Dave...

#119 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:08 AM

It's not the crickets that are the problem, so much as the exterminators. And yes, I've been one of them.

Poor Dave...

LOL, I'm OK.... B)

#120 singleentendre

singleentendre

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:07 AM

Am I really the only Christmas Jones defender? I knew I was alone, but I didn't think I was THAT alone.