219 replies to this topic

#31 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:04 PM

What's so incredible is the Q scene since it wasn't intended to be Desmond's last movie

So they said. But then, why was Cleese, and not Desmond, in that last scene?

Hmmm...

Good point, i'm guessing they would have had more Q and R type things in the next one to ease him in more.

#32 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:09 PM

Thanks guys, I knew there were some TWINE fans on here.

One of the best moments in any Bond movie is this - Bond drives the Q-boat down a street, through a cafe, knocks strawberries off a bowl into the Thames before landing in the river itself in full view of the Millenium Dome (which never looked so good!), and The James Bond Theme kicks in, full volume!! Classic Bond!! I love it, and I cheer every time I watch it!!!

There are elements of the movie I don't like - eg. the mine scenes and the oil pipeline, plus the finale is a little tame. But I still enjoy TWINE every time I watch it.

#33 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:37 PM

Completely forgot about Q's 'exit'. Shame on me.

You can put Tracy and Vesper to bed. Though neither the producers nor the director could have meant it to be, this is the most tender, emotional, bittersweet moment of all Bondfilmdom.

Here's to you, Desmond!

(Judo chop enjoys a sip from his dram of Macallan 12 year and remembers 33 wonderful years of Q.)

#34 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:01 AM

For me, TWINE is memorable & enjoyable for a few reasons & a bunch of them are

#35 Mike00spy

Mike00spy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:43 AM

Love TWINE. <looks both ways>

Always have. It is the best of the Brosnans. <ducks>

I'm enjoying the praise by some, but can't help but notice that many of the TWINE haters can't resist getting in a jibe, direct or indrect.

#36 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:54 AM

can't help but notice that many of the TWINE haters can't resist getting in a jibe, direct or indrect.

LOL, yeah. I wonder if any of them were surprised by the positive comments?

#37 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:40 AM

can't help but notice that many of the TWINE haters can't resist getting in a jibe, direct or indrect.

Yeah because we're all narrow-minded fools who believe everyone hates the movie :cooltongue:

#38 yolt13

yolt13

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:24 AM

Yeah because we're all narrow-minded fools who believe everyone hates the movie :cooltongue:

Well, not ALL of you. But there certainly are some, and they are often some of the more vocal board members.

#39 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:23 AM

TWINE and dine, I enjoy The World Is Not Enough. Some good Bondian moments in there.

#40 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:57 AM

Anyhoo, I honestly did not enjoy TWINE as much as the prior Brosnan entries until I recently watched it again. Not too terribly long ago, I even posted in a "Which is worse - DAD or TWINE" thread and was a bit harsh toward the movie. But upon further review, I've revised my opinion rather dramatically. Many of the "problems" I had always perceived it to have were, frankly, not there, and it was much sharper than I remembered. There are issues, but those are well-documented on this board and others. In all, it is an underrated entry that (like the film which immediately preceded it) deserves a much better reputation.

I'm standing side by side with DaveBond and others here, guns drawn, determined to defend TWINE to the end!

YOLT's point above about rewatching TWINE after not seeing it for awhile (I know, I know, I'm just asking to get hammered by that comment so please, no comments like "yeah, after a twenty-year gap" etc") are exactly how I felt the last time I watched the film. I had avoided it for a couple of years and then I rewatched it, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it had aged, how much better it was than I had remembered.

I do believe, because of the it's plot, because of it's attemept to emphasise character, it is going to age better than other films in the canon (most certainly DAD that follows it, and a couple of Sir Rog's entries).

So bashers - if you haven't seen it in awhile, give it another chance before your next bash! And if you don't change your mind, those of us in here in this TWINE love-in will just have our helmets as you bash away.

Alright, got to put the kettle on. All this bash-chat is making me thirsty....

Edited by plankattack, 31 August 2007 - 11:58 AM.

#41 Mike00spy

Mike00spy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

Anyhoo, I honestly did not enjoy TWINE as much as the prior Brosnan entries until I recently watched it again. Not too terribly long ago, I even posted in a "Which is worse - DAD or TWINE" thread and was a bit harsh toward the movie. But upon further review, I've revised my opinion rather dramatically. Many of the "problems" I had always perceived it to have were, frankly, not there, and it was much sharper than I remembered. There are issues, but those are well-documented on this board and others. In all, it is an underrated entry that (like the film which immediately preceded it) deserves a much better reputation.

I'm standing side by side with DaveBond and others here, guns drawn, determined to defend TWINE to the end!

Are we as outnumbered as those chaps from 300?

#42 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

Good luck to you chaps. Some of you boys will not be seeing home again. Know now that whether you make it out or not, you will not be forgotten. <salutes>

For inspiration, I'd recommend watching the Rohirrim charge scene in Return of the King. :cooltongue:

Meanwhile, doing my best to find some more forgotten gems, I remembered a few that I should have mentioned before:

1)The spot-on homage to the Moore-era makeshift Q-lab, complete with a wonderfully nostalgic set of lethal bagpipes.

2)I did get a laugh from a classically characteristic detailed explanation of the inner workings of a ski jacket by Mr. Cleese.

3)Also, in the same scene, I too feel a little blasphemous for not mentioning Desmond's exit. Isn't that final descent one of the saddest things a Bond fan's ever seen?

So, there ya go. Don't shoot 'til you see the whites of our eyes!

#43 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Brosnan at his most polished and confident in some terrific Bond scenarios.

To be honest, I'm not that interested in Bond being polished or confident. I'm more interested in him being human.

#44 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:51 PM

I like The World Is Not Enough. It's not my favourite Bond film, but it's far from my least fave, either. I've defended it many times over the years against harsh attacks.

I like Coltrane. I lurve Sophie. I even dig Denise. Nuclear physicist she may not likely be. But I don't require much in the way of realism in Bond flicks.

#45 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:16 PM

To be honest, I'm not that interested in Bond being polished or confident. I'm more interested in him being human.

Is it inhuman to be polished and confident?

#46 SeanDalton77

SeanDalton77

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

I liked it 2nd only to Goldeneye as my favorite Brosnan Bond film

#47 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:45 PM

It's my favourite Brosnan movie, and will always be the one I look back on as being The Bond movie that came out during my student years (Coming in 99 as it did). It's given a bad rap but still comes streets ahead of the woeful DAD. There are several things you criticize about it if you wanted to, but it's hardly the "shocking" film some make it out to be.

#48 Hergersheimer

Hergersheimer

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:16 PM

I was noting that Brosnan's performance was polished and confident, not Bond's character (although Bond does have some moments that fit that description).

#49 JWM

JWM

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:45 AM

It's nice to see so many positive comments about a great Bond film - all of which I agree with! TWINE ranks in my top 5 - it's PB's best performance, has a terrific villian, witty dialogue, and though Denise Richards may get alot of flack as a nuclear scientist, she looks fiiiine as a Bond Girl.

I totally agree with this TWINE is PB best. Ms. Richards is great to look at and PB gives his best performance. He look so comfortable in the role at this point and it shows on screen.

#50 Problem Eliminator

Problem Eliminator

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:34 AM

It's my favourite Brosnan movie, and will always be the one I look back on as being The Bond movie that came out during my student years (Coming in 99 as it did). It's given a bad rap but still comes streets ahead of the woeful DAD. There are several things you criticize about it if you wanted to, but it's hardly the "shocking" film some make it out to be.

My sentiments exactly, well put Scottlee :cooltongue:

I am an unabashed TWINE fan, and I regret that I've taken this long to "join the ranks" of this thread.

It baffles me that Bond 19 gets continually dumped on by "fans" and casual moviegoers alike while some of the series' real turkeys (including the aforementioned "Yo Mama" entry) often slide by with nary a mention. Sure it has its faults (most glaringly Tanya Roberts '99 I mean Denise Richards), but so does each and every 007 film and several of them contain worse violations than anything in TWINE. Why impound a car that's emitting 5% smog when there are 40% polluters driving right beside it? Sadly this fact seems to be lost on most of TWINE's detractors.

Just yesterday at work my boss asked why I had a poster (the TWINE British quad) for a "terrible movie" hanging at my desk. No stranger to such pot shots, I proceeded via reflex action to defend it the same manner most of you have done above. Kudos to y'all for your eloquent espousing.

#51 tambourineman

tambourineman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:10 AM

I always enjoyed TWINE and along with GE is the only other Brosnan movie I like. Geat villain/s, some excellent sequences and Brosnan is excellent in it. Shame about the character and casting of Christmas Jones though. Other then that, I have no complaints with the film.

Edited by tambourineman, 07 September 2007 - 10:16 AM.

#52 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:51 AM

I always enjoyed TWINE and along with GE is the only other Brosnan movie I like

I liked TND and the first half of DAD. I find it very difficult to say I don't like a Bond movie, as I love them all, just some more than others.

Also, Denise Richards looks great in TWINE and so I never see why anyone would complain about her casting, or her wet top towards the end.

#53 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:06 AM

Also, Denise Richards looks great in TWINE and so I never see why anyone would complain about her casting, or her wet top towards the end.

Yes, considerably. :cooltongue:

#54 yolt13

yolt13

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:01 AM

Are we as outnumbered as those chaps from 300?

Perhaps. But, if it's all the same to the rest of the TWINE defenders, I'd prefer not to have CG nipples or animated six-pack abs!

#55 yolt13

yolt13

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:10 AM

Here, here! If I didn't buy her as a nuclear physicist (and I didn't), I still found myself not caring too awfully much through most of the film. :angry: Let's put it this way - if I ever have to be privately tutored on the complex scientific principles and intricate technical jargon of nuclear physics, I hope I get a tutor with Miss Richards' considerable "qualifications"!

Oops! Better not make cracks like that, or Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass will start calling me a "misogynist" and a "relic of the 60s"! :cooltongue:

#56 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:17 AM

LOL yolt. By the way, the phrase is "hear hear".

#57 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:27 AM

I enjoyed some things about the film, but other things not so much. I'm really curious if there was a thought of could the film have worked without Christmas Jones? It seems like it would have, but that Bond would have been by his lonesome at the end of the film. However, I think that it would have been something cool and different too. Much more like the Ian Fleming Bond where he doesn't always get the girl, etc.

Highlights for me are the theme song. I love that one. I really like Renard. The boat chase is awesome! Great extras on the UE DVD with the longer sequence and the deleted scenes were quite good too!

Oh! The fight on the sub at the end of the film!

Is there any way to get the additional soundtrack tracks from TWINE?

#58 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:36 AM

I would never complain about having Christmas in Turkey.

#59 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

My sentiments exactly, well put Scottlee :tup:

I am an unabashed TWINE fan, and I regret that I've taken this long to "join the ranks" of this thread.

It baffles me that Bond 19 gets continually dumped on by "fans" and casual moviegoers alike while some of the series' real turkeys (including the aforementioned "Yo Mama" entry) often slide by with nary a mention. Sure it has its faults (most glaringly Tanya Roberts '99 I mean Denise Richards), but so does each and every 007 film and several of them contain worse violations than anything in TWINE. Why impound a car that's emitting 5% smog when there are 40% polluters driving right beside it? Sadly this fact seems to be lost on most of TWINE's detractors.

Just yesterday at work my boss asked why I had a poster (the TWINE British quad) for a "terrible movie" hanging at my desk. No stranger to such pot shots, I proceeded via reflex action to defend it the same manner most of you have done above. Kudos to y'all for your eloquent espousing.

I think there are a few TWINE fans out there, and I've heard a few more positive things about the movie on the boards of late. As I said in one or two of my communiques with allies, there is a thread for fans to go to, and this is the one.

:tup:

#60 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:44 AM

When I first saw TWINE in the theatre I loved it. I still do. Brosnan put in a great performance. I am a TWINE fan as well.