219 replies to this topic

#211 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:51 AM

Thanks guys but this is the TWINE Fans ONLY thread! It's the only thread where you're not allowed to bash the movie.  :)

#212 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

I'm a TWINE fan and bash it quite regularly!

#213 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:59 AM

I'm a fan of ALL Bond films. And yes, many of them get bashed by me on a regular basis. :P

Edited by dtuba, 13 March 2015 - 01:59 AM.

#214 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:25 AM

I like them all. I won't bash any of them. They are like my children... :)

#215 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:30 AM

I was having a think - as you do - the other day and it suddenly occurred to me - would TWINE have worked under a different title? I don't mean changing the plot or characters necessarily, but just the name of the film, and the name I had in mind was that old favourite "The Property Of A Lady".

Consider; the film, ultimately, is about Elektra King claiming her family's oil empire from her father by foul means and then wanting to claim rights over the oil in her part of the world. It isn't really about wanting to conquer the world, which "The World Is Not Enough" suggests. (Even though the title slips out from Bond during the torture scene and is of course his family motto.)

TWINE is a very enjoyable Bond film, even though the parahawk chase is a bit baffling (Why would Elektra risk her own life just to try and bump off Bond, or at least prove she's a target of assassination? Then again maybe I've answered my own question with the second part of the previous sentence!) I sometimes think, though, that in retrospect the film's title and the film's plot don't quite fit, whereas Elektra's oil empire was indeed the property of a lady.

I don't know that it would have "worked" under a different title. But I do like the idea of using the title The Property Of A Lady for the film. You're right, there's a lot of reasons in the film for that being the appropriate name. I do love The World Is Not Enough as a title and think it deserves to be used as one, but you have to admit it was/is going to be difficult to use The Property Of A Lady as a title. But that would certainly have been the time. Brosnan was a big success, seeing him in the trailers, audiences would have been assured of coming to see it and not have been confused as to whether it was an arthouse picture. Additionally, that would have given Brosnan his one Ian Fleming novel/short story title.

#216 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:31 PM

I watched it again on Saturday night as part of my Bond marathon. I really enjoyed it up until Bond meets Renard. 

I disagree that the movie is too melodramatic or emotional. I actually find it too fixated on action at that point; and only average action at that.

The PTS is still amazing.

#217 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:09 AM

I've always enjoyed TWINE. It's a bit more low key compared to GoldenEye and Tomorrow Never Die but that make its all the more interesting. I tend to agree with the concensus that the film is Brosnan's best performance as Bond especially when he eliminates Elektra at the climax. I also enjoy all of the allusions to OHMSS, which was celebrating it's 30th Annivesary in 1999.

• The Tracy reference when Elektra's ask "Have you ever lost anyone Mr. Bond?" and he ignores the question.
  • The ski sequences/avalanche.
  • Bond's family motto first mentioned in OHMSS
  • A bald villian.
  • Bond falling in love with the main Bond girl.
  • The main Bond girl dies but in twirst from OHMSS she dies at Bond's own hand.

One criticism I do have is that Renard's bullet in the brain gimick doesn't pay off. It's set up that he will continue to grow stronger and stronger until the day he dies but we never really see that beyond him not feeling any pain. If I could change one thing in the film I would have Renard soundly defeat Bond during their fight on the submarine as Renard displays some super human strength. Bond is helpless to watch as Renard is about to succesfully inset the plutonium rod when Renard staggers over and drops dead.

Bond could simply have said "Thank you 009."

A missed oppurtunity, in my mind, to have another Double-0 save Bond's life.

Overall I find TWINE to be a very good film, I don't even mind Denise Richard to be honest since her introduction leads to an excellent line from Bond. "I don't know know any doctor jokes."

:D

#218 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

I have seen people express disappointment about TWINE's ending in the submarine. But overall, it works for me. I have fond memories of that sequence, coupled with the video game's treatment of it. I like seeing Bond underwater, especially with the whole dilemma of holding your breath. In fact, TWINE's ending perhaps contains my favourite segments from the film. The torture chair sequence is pretty good. Bond shooting Elektra is easily one of Brosnan's best moments. And then we have the dive from Maiden's Tower. Interesting point about how Renard could have been defeated via the bullet, Gobi. But I think I prefer the film's approach. Renard goes berserk and bests Bond physically. Bond is helpless, but like always (Oddjob, etc), he finds a way to win. I find that more satisfying. 

#219 Matt Monro

Matt Monro

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:15 AM

I'm neither a fan nor a hater, but I do have three comments.

1.  Why all the love for the PTS?  It's 17 minutes.  17 f***in' minutes.

2.  I was married to an Elektra King, only without the French accent and the predilection for see-through clothing.  Makes it very creepy to watch now, although I will say Marceau's perfromance is excellent.  Which leads me to...

3.  Those who criticize Apted's direction are idiots.  Apted's been known as a top-flight director in the UK since the '60's, and here since the '80's, since he gave us a couple of little pictures called Coal Miner's Daughter and Gorillas in the Mist.  His ability to direct women is precisely what got him the job, though Denise Richards apparently presented a challenge even he couldn't overcome.

#220 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

I like the idea above - Gobi-1 - of Renard defeating Bond only to finally succumb to that bullet in his brain, and the 009 comment. Whether it would have worked - whether the audience would have recalled earlier in the movie that 009 shot Renard in the head - is debatable. That said, I think the film did make something of Renard being unable to feel pain or pleasure. A carry over, I believe , of an idea originally intended for the character Stamper in TND. (Raymond Benson's "novel of the screenplay" for TND was interesting - full of stuff which never made the final film, although there is of course a hint of this idea in Bond's final fight with Stamper when the latter is stabbed.)