101 replies to this topic

#61 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:21 AM

While viewing some of the old MI-6.UK posts on their forum, I came across a post that featured an article on Daniel Craig. To my surprise, he declared that Lazenby had been unfairly condemned for his performance in OHMSS. Craig also declared that OHMSS was one of the best movies in the series.

#62 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:30 AM

He is absolutely correct.

I dont know why people bash the film.

#63 blackjack60

blackjack60

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:17 AM

No, I don't think I have it backwards. When a character like Bond compares having sex with Vesper with "the sweet tang of rape" and describes the body of blacks in a negative manner, I find it hard to view him as a pleasant guy.

"Rape" has more than one definition (consult your OED), and a pretty good argument has been made in the literary forum that Fleming was using the other sense of the word. Beyond such academic matters, how Bond treats women is ultimately more important than what he thinks of them, and the Bond of the books is a far more humane and chivalrous figure than the playboy of the screen. Unlike Connery, Moore and Lazenby, Fleming's Bond never slapped a woman in anger. And in the books the character is far more sensitive to women's concerns and feelings than any Bond until Dalton. Had I a daughter, I'd be more comfortable with her dating book Bond than movie Bond, considering the latter's tendency toward coercion (Connery forcing Pusy Galore to kiss him) or caddishness (Moore locking Goodnight in a closet and telling her "your time will come").
As for LALD, the movie is in some ways worse--its version of Mr. Big is far less intelligent and impressive than the original's, and unlike the book, we don't get to read that Bond, despite his outdated racial attitudes, nevertheless has a level of affection for blacks (and authorial respect, if we take M's words into account).

As I stated in my previous post before all the shenanigans started en route to my hometown, I thought that Laz’s reaction to Tracy’s death was very nicely done, and, within the series, is one of the greatest in a long list of greats. However, I doubt that the casual fan, particularly the fan who knows and cares zero of Fleming, finds it to be nearly as remarkable.

Don't be so sure. I showed the film to a group of people who at best were casual Bond fans, and the ending worked like gangbusters. There's no reason why it shouldn't. Taken purely as a film in isolation it would still work. The film is about a man pursuing a woman and finally marrying her, only to lose her on his wedding day. You don't have to be any sort of Bond fan to emotionally invest yourself in that arc. Lazenby's performance also has quality that has rarely received enough praise: subtlety. He in fact does weep, but only after lowering his face, and it's a very quiet sob. Whatever else Lazenby might have done wrong, he was perfect in portraying the one moment in James Bond's life where he was utterly powerless, lost, and broken.

Her death scene is presented tenderly, with the same song that played over their courtship scene, All The Time in the World, sung by Louie Armstrong. Then you're jarred by the James Bond theme just because it's part of the formula.

I think that's the point--it's there to intentionally disturb you. The movie is saying that James Bond has to go on--at any cost. It's not just that Blofeld and Bundt kill Tracy--it's that the very idea of a James Bond continuing demands her death. The James Bond series killed her. The resurgence of the Bond theme, especially the cold hard synth-driven 69 version, is meant to rub your face in that reality. "You want Bond to continue? " it says. "Well, this is what had to happen in order for that to happen."

Edited by blackjack60, 07 August 2007 - 04:17 AM.

#64 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:34 AM

I think George Lazenby proved in that scene that he really did have the right acting skills, he still remains to this day the most underrated Bond of all. The character changed a lot in this movie, and I even believe Sean Connery wouldn't have fit for this entry. This was no longer the James Bond we knew from the 5 previous episodes, this one was totally different and George was perfect for it.

#65 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:36 PM

I think George Lazenby proved in that scene that he really did have the right acting skills, he still remains to this day the most underrated Bond of all. The character changed a lot in this movie, and I even believe Sean Connery wouldn't have fit for this entry. This was no longer the James Bond we knew from the 5 previous episodes, this one was totally different and George was perfect for it.

I've tried, but I simply can't imagine Connery doing this scene. In OHMSS, Lazenby was tops.

#66 G.I Jord

G.I Jord

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:51 PM

George played this scene perfectly, it's a very haunting and moving moment in the Bond series, thanks largely to Lazenby. It's not over the top, but very subtle and believable, which makes it stand out, as being realistic, and the audience can relate to it that much more. I agree with Major Tallon, I can't imagine Connery in this scene, not that I think he's not capable of it, but taking into account Connery's take on Bond, it's very hard to imagine.

#67 EL7

EL7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:35 AM

I see Connery's Bond being incredibly angry if he had to do the scene, at first completely at a lost of words, then a mix of sadness and thoughts of revenge taking over. As for tears, well I can see it but can't think of a movie where Sean does cry. Please point me in the right direction if anyone knows of such a film.

#68 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:44 AM

Erm... Zardoz?

Either way, George Lazenby made that scene. :D

#69 EL7

EL7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:51 PM

Zardoz?! EEP!

That outfit is bad enough to make anyone cry!

#70 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:00 PM

Her death scene is presented tenderly, with the same song that played over their courtship scene, All The Time in the World, sung by Louie Armstrong. Then you're jarred by the James Bond theme just because it's part of the formula.

I think that's the point--it's there to intentionally disturb you. The movie is saying that James Bond has to go on--at any cost.

And that cost turned out to be even pricier than anyone could have possibly imagined

#71 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:33 AM

I think that they were extremely wise and lucky to decide to end OHMSS with Tracy's demise. It would have been a dynamite PTS, but I think it serves better as the finale.

Also, I don't know what they would have done with DAF without Lazenby and a loose end to tie off.

#72 Licence_007

Licence_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:49 PM

I thought he was good in OHMSS and like many people have said, I can't picture any of the other actors from the Bond series pulling it off like Lazenby did except maybe Dalton. Dalton's Bond is the only one I can remember really caring for women.

#73 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:27 PM

I thought he was good in OHMSS and like many people have said, I can't picture any of the other actors from the Bond series pulling it off like Lazenby did except maybe Dalton. Dalton's Bond is the only one I can remember really caring for women.

You are so right, Dalton always cared for the Bondgirls in his films. Thought that was one of the things that made 007 more human, I liked that.

Edited by O.H.M.S.S., 22 December 2007 - 12:28 PM.

#74 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:30 PM

George Lazenby said that he did cry for one take, but director Peter Hunt said "Do it again but without the tears, James Bond doesn't cry", and so they re-shot it.

By the way, as well as Diana Rigg, Lazenby had the book in his lap. He said that he had cried at the end when he first read the book, so used it for inspiration in the scene, turning to the final page. He cried again, but it was not used in the final film.

#75 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:54 AM

By the way, as well as Diana Rigg, Lazenby had the book in his lap. He said that he had cried at the end when he first read the book, so used it for inspiration in the scene, turning to the final page. He cried again, but it was not used in the final film.

Cool that Lazenby and Rigg both had Fleming's book on set to aid them. That's true dedication. :(

#76 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:57 AM

I still cry at the ending of OHMSS... :(

#77 Fiona Volpe lover

Fiona Volpe lover

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

I did when I first saw it, and so did my wife. It still brings a lump to the throat. I would love so much to see Lazenby's alternate take though, I don't think it's survived otherwise it would probably be on the DVD but it would make a great comparison with the ending that's in the film, and in my opinion might possibly have been even better. I don't mind seeing Bond break down and weep. But in OHMSS it would have to be Lazenby-somehow I can't picture Connery doing it.

#78 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

I still cry at the ending of OHMSS... :(

It's my favourite Bond book. And the film version is great entertainment

#79 Dangerous Liaison

Dangerous Liaison

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:22 AM

It's odd. I start crying before she's even shot, but once it happens I just kind of watch the screen with this really 'blank look, but really sad-eyed'** expression my face...

**According to my fiancée.

Edited by Dangerous Liaison, 23 October 2008 - 12:25 AM.

#80 Doctor No

Doctor No

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

A. I liked how Lazenby handled Tracy's death, emotional but also in a shocked daze.

B. Connery would probably say something like "Pity" or "It was good." and move on to the next mission or woman.
Moore would raise a somber eyebrow.
Dalton would fall to the ground and weep for hours.
Brosnan would grimace for awhile.
Craig would find something to kill.

#81 Ultraussie (Jordan.adams)

Ultraussie (Jordan.adams)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:34 AM

I think it was good. He was
"Hiding" the very ovious fact that she was dead from the Policeman.
I think George Shouldve made another film.
And yes, I have continued from this event in my Fan Movie, The Ghost of You.
http://au.youtube.co...h?v=VR3HTpYunAk

Now if these actors did it:
Sean Connery: He wouldve just sped off after Blofeld in a car chase, PPK firing.
Roger Moore: He cant show emotion. It wouldve just shown the end credits.
Tim Dalton: Car Chase
Peirce Brosnan: Bloody carchase again
Daneil Craig: Another bloody :(ing carchase!

So yes, George Lazenby was the only sensible one.

Edited by Ultraussie (Jordan.adams), 11 November 2008 - 10:39 AM.

#82 NecroVMX

NecroVMX

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:17 AM

I think this was his best scene, and easily the best scene of the film. Handled pretty much perfectly, what man wouldn't break down in that situation? Bond is human, after all, something Lazenby knew while others (Moore) didn't.

#83 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

When I first saw the movie it was on TV. I had already read the book and knew what was coming. Even when I first read the book, I knew they wouldn't have a Mr. and Mrs. Bond. I didn't know what to make of Louis Armstrong's singing. But to this day whenever I hear the song We Have All The Time In the World, I get depressed, because of this movie.

It's one of the few movies that pack this sort of emotional visceral punch. But here's another for me that had a similar punch and I tend to connect the music to the movie.

Warning: It is violent:

#84 Painted Gold

Painted Gold

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

I also cry every time I see it but I start getting emotional when I see Moneypenny and Q at the weddding!

Nobody can doubt GL's acting after seeing that scene.

In a job like Bond's he must have to keep his emotions and feelings repressed which makes it all the more powerful when he finally lets go. I like that it comes out as sorrow rather than violence and anger as it feels a more honest reaction. He isn't thinking about himself and how HE will feel better if he goes and kills them. It sounds really cliched but he does lose a part of himself when Tracy dies, a side of himself that perhaps he didn't realize he had until he met her.

I also like that this is the last time we see that kind of emotional reaction from Bond because after losing Tracey, nothing else hurts him as much. That is why I liked it when DC got upset in CR because it showed Bond does have that emotional side to start with.

Also, what do people think of that scene in FYEO when Bond revisits the grave? Did you like it, could it have been expanded on?

Edited by Painted Gold, 25 November 2008 - 12:59 PM.

#85 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

Also, what do people think of that scene in FYEO when Bond revisits the grave? Did you like it, could it have been expanded on?

I thought Roger played it very well.

#86 Ultraussie (Jordan.adams)

Ultraussie (Jordan.adams)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 321 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:38 AM

I thought Roger played it very well.

I havent seen the first 30 minutes of the film.

#87 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:56 AM

A. What are your opinions on how Lazenby handles the scene?
B. How would each Bond react to such an event?

A. I think that Lazenby handled it very well. It's a very sad scene, and it's very heartbreaking when Tracy dies. If you think about it, we only knew Tracy for the duration of about 2 hours, but we feel sad when she dies because she's such a great character.
B. Connery: I'm not sure how Connery would react to the death of Tracy. It might be hard to even comprehend Connery doing that scene, IMO.
Lazenby: Just said.
Moore: I think that Moore, while I think that he's good, might have had a rough time with this scene. When Tracy is mentioned in TSWLM, he sort of brushes it off. He does lay flowers on her grave in FYEO, but I don't think that the scene would have worked with Moore.
Dalton: I think that Dalton would have been able to bring some real emotions into that scene, had he done OHMSS (wasn't he originally supposed to do OHMSS?).
Brosnan: This'll be difficult to determine. I'm reminded of Paris' death in TND. However, it's so quick that we don't have time to let that moment sink in. So, there might have been some potential, but if there was more time for the scene.
Craig: He'd take it just like Lazenby did. He'd take her death very personally. I mean, look at the way Craig reacted to Vesper.

Edited by danielcraigisjamesbond007, 22 February 2009 - 03:56 AM.

#88 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

Moore: I think that Moore, while I think that he's good, might have had a rough time with this scene. When Tracy is mentioned in TSWLM, he sort of brushes it off. He does lay flowers on her grave in FYEO, but I don't think that the scene would have worked with Moore.

I think Moore would have been the most interesting to see of the actors mentioned given the way he handles the scenes mentioned above. Sure he's the most light-hearted of the Bonds, but when he does get serious or emotional it resonates a lot more. The shock of seeing this type of Bond put in that situation would be the most unsettling.

#89 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

Sean Connery would say: Discipline 007, discipline.
Roger Moore: Moonraker 5, that's the answer.
Timothy Dalton: Smiert Spionom?
Pierce Brosnan: Something I'd said?
Daniel Craig: Grrrr.

Anyway, George Lazenby was perfect in that scene.

#90 singleentendre

singleentendre

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

I thought Lazenby did this perfectly. OHMSS is really an amazing movie and for the life of me I'll never understand why it's so disliked.
The one thing I did hate about this scene is the way the Bond theme plays right after. Whose brilliant idea was that? I always thought it incredibly obvious that "We Have All The Time In The World" should play during the end credits. I guess it was just a reminder that this was a Bond movie.