118 replies to this topic

#91 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:12 AM

Nor do I like Edward Fox. Fleming would approve.

#92 superado

superado

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:06 AM

Well imo from what i gather from the fleming books, Bond is not a pretty boy, i think its the portrayal of the films by the various actors that have got us locked into that way of thinking that bond must be handsome ( i dont think hoagy carmichael is that good looking, so then DC is actually a good choice of bond then )

Actually, Fleming through several female characters has described Bond as "terribly handsome" and "very good looking," with that last term used in conjunction with looking like an "American film star." Remember too that comparisons were made with a "young" Hoagy Carmichael, who looked like this:

Posted Image

Being a newspaper editor with volumes of archival records at his disposal, I'm pretty sure that Fleming has come across this stock photo of HG, and I don't see it a stretch how the cruel looks on this particular photo could have been a key inspiration to Fleming.

Interesting how this one published comment from Fox has touched a nerve on very inflamed hemroids. What if Fox had praised Craig instead? How many here would change the value he or she places on his opinion? Connery has been largely critizized for his often too frank expressions of his opinions, yet his endorsement of Craig seems to have been accepted wholeheartedly; what IF Connery had said the opposite? Would his opinion on Craig still matter?

I wouldn't totally trash Fox's basis of credibility in "having known Fleming." Could anyone here conclusively say that Fox's "interpretation" of what Fleming intended is absolutely wrong? What about Christopher Lee's 05 comments about the casting of Craig? I found it interesting how many Craig supporters freely took Lee's endorsement but questioned his comments about Brosnan fitting Fleming's intention most closely, based on thier discussions about his novels.

On Fox bashing, I think that he would have given Craig a good run for his money had Fox done Bond as he looked in Day of the Jackal (which could have used more explosions, chase scenes and upbeat theme music to stimulate the intellect), a movie that has suddenly become attrocious for many here...mostly due perhaps to his recent comments? Some commented that Fox was short and ugly; since when did that matter, recently?

Edited by superado, 08 May 2007 - 08:47 AM.

#93 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:17 AM

Fox does not like Craig?

I do not like Fox.

#94 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:50 AM

Superado wrote, "Interesting how this one published comment from Fox has touched a nerve on very inflamed hemroids. What if Fox had praised Craig instead? How many here would change the value he or she places on his opinion? Connery has been largely critizized for his often too frank expressions of his opinions, yet his endorsement of Craig seems to have been accepted wholeheartedly; what IF Connery had said the opposite? Would his opinion on Craig still matter?

I wouldn't totally trash Fox's basis of credibility in "having known Fleming." Could anyone here conclusively say that Fox's "interpretation" of what Fleming intended is absolutely wrong? What about Christopher Lee's 05 comments about the casting of Craig? I found it interesting how many Craig supporters freely took Lee's endorsement but questioned his comments about Brosnan fitting Fleming's intention most closely, based on thier discussions about his novels.

On Fox bashing, I think that he would have given Craig a good run for his money had Fox done Bond as he looked in Day of the Jackal (which could have used more explosions, chase scenes and upbeat theme music to stimulate the intellect), a movie that has suddenly become attrocious for many here...mostly due perhaps to his recent comments? Some commented that Fox was short and ugly; since when did that matter, recently?"

The problem you going to have, Superado, is that you are trying to be rational in an argument (discussion?) that is irrational. Liking one actor or another is a matter of perferrence based on emotional response. When you challenge that emotional response, as Edward Fox did, you are surely going to stir up some contraversy; which EF may have wanted to do. Or if he didn't, he can't be too surprised that he did.

I sense that your statement about being short and ugly applies to Craig as well as to Fox. Since when is 5'11" short? I'm a hair under a full 6' and am considered tall here in the US. Being ugly is a matter of taste. I don't consider either Fox or DC ugly.

#95 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

Fox probably said this when Craig was just cast and Anti-Craig sentiment was high. Maybe he has changed his mind.

#96 quiller

quiller

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:28 AM

bring back fox hunting!!!
is it me. or does mads m look lil like foxxy?? check it out in cr the scene onboard the yacht. post poker game. just after he says somethin about throwin his gusts overboard and takes a hit off his inhaler!

Edited by quiller, 12 May 2007 - 09:33 AM.

#97 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

Daniel Craig is a great actor.
Edward Fox is a great actor.

I don't care what they think of eachother as long as I can enjoy their work.

Edited by O.H.M.S.S., 28 July 2008 - 05:46 PM.

#98 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:00 AM

Of course, Edward probably wouldn't have said that if his son, Laurence Fox (below) - with a huge stretch of the imagination, had of landed the part of 007.

Father and son couldn't act their way out of paper bags although Edward could make a slight dent.

Posted Image
Ed needs to take a look at his son before casting aspersions. Wan*er. :tup:

Edited by danslittlefinger, 29 July 2008 - 02:12 AM.

#99 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:43 AM

Oh who gives an :tup:'s rat what Fox thinks of Craig? Fox played M in that wanna be Bond movie and Judi Dench could probably beat the living tar out of him. Craig has the endorsement of the Connery, so all other Bond actors can shut the :tup: up on this matter.

#100 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:20 AM

It's never a good thing to run down a fellow actor. :tup:

#101 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:26 AM

Is there any particular reason for resurrecting this thread, 15 months after it died out?

#102 Mercator

Mercator

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

Edward Fox was the bad M in the silly Bond film (well, not really the Bond film, evens). He has not the right to have made this comment, no?

#103 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

Is there any particular reason for resurrecting this thread, 15 months after it died out?

I thought that. It was a dead story before it even got out of the paddock. And people responding to it is extending its lifespan..... doh!

#104 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image

Well, I don't know what his son looks like, but this photo of Craig is new to me - is it from QUANTUM OF SOLACE?

#105 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:36 PM

Of course, Edward probably wouldn't have said that if his son, Laurence Fox (below) - with a huge stretch of the imagination, had of landed the part of 007.

Father and son couldn't act their way out of paper bags although Edward could make a slight dent.

Posted Image

Mm. Of course, Laurence Fox isn't Edward Fox's son, but his nephew...

#106 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:17 PM

Bond wasn't the pretty boy of the movies who until Brosnan were chiseled in the Cary Grant fashion. He did look like a young Hoagy Carmichael as the poster above said. While Bond was described as very good looking, he was also described as looking like a bored civil servant who could get lost in a crowd. A thug type like Lazenby and Craig, and the chiseled Connery/Moore/Dalton would stand out too much. Even though these are actors of the 30's these are the types I picture as Bond:

http://movies.topten...tors/a47844.jpg

http://cache.viewima...55A1E4F32AD3138

Of course the first one was a bisexual married to a lesbian, and the latter gay.

Twenty years ago I would've picked this guy (it's a little slow loading.)

http://www.freewebs....in Hastings.BMP

Edited by Stephen Spotswood, 30 July 2008 - 05:19 PM.

#107 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

Bond wasn't the pretty boy of the movies who until Brosnan were chiseled in the Cary Grant fashion. He did look like a young Hoagy Carmichael as the poster above said. While Bond was described as very good looking, he was also described as looking like a bored civil servant who could get lost in a crowd. A thug type like Lazenby and Craig, and the chiseled Connery/Moore/Dalton would stand out too much. Even those these are actors of the 30's these are the types I picture as Bond:

Of course the first one was a bisexual married to a lesbian, and the latter gay.

The last pic didn't load, who was it?

#108 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:47 PM

Here's a better one of David Manners.

The last picture was Hugh Frazer as Capt.Hastings in Hercule Poirot. Here's a smaller picture.

http://www.poirot.us...s/hastings1.png

#109 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:54 PM

Thanks! :tup:

#110 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:17 PM

Who are those guys? :tup:

#111 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:13 PM

Colin Clive and David Manners.

#112 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:21 PM

I remember this crap from Fox. His preformance as M in NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN is a complete bastardization of Fleming's character.

Edited by Mister E, 30 July 2008 - 08:22 PM.

#113 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:34 PM

Posted Image

Mm. Of course, Laurence Fox isn't Edward Fox's son, but his nephew...

Srry my mistake. I meant nephew. :tup:

#114 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:36 PM

I remember this crap from Fox. His preformance as M in NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN is a complete bastardization of Fleming's character.

To be fair to Foxy, he wasn't actually playing Fleming's character. Hence his "Illustrious predecessor" line.

#115 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

To be fair to Foxy, he wasn't actually playing Fleming's character. Hence his "Illustrious predecessor" line.

Well he was still an annoying prick in the film.

#116 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:51 PM

Colin Clive and David Manners.

I thought one of them was Clive...

And I missed the post where Manners was identified. :blush:

#117 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:57 PM

Now I wonder if Fleming would have approved of Fox's M? :tup:

I'm going to go with no.

His portrayal of M as bitchy little girl contributed to the ultimate destruction of the planet in 2012 by the now perpetually rotating coffin of Fleming's that will eventually burrow through to Earth's core.

My run-on sentence did too.

#118 Banco

Banco

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:26 PM

Screw 'em. :tup:

Well said!

#119 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant