#61 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:57 AM

You said it here,spynovelfan;

Reed was a great actor, but I think better candidates for 007 in the same vein - and avoiding personal issues like trouble with drink - would have been

Richard Burton:
Posted Image

Peter O'Toole:
Posted Image

Richard Harris (brother-in-law of Pierce Brosnan's first wife, of course):
Posted Image

As has been said elsewhere,who cares about how much those guys drank? They were all great. But I happen to think
Oliver Reed had the'OHMSS Bond factor' more than any of them. Hence my post. Which even I'm bored of now.

#62 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

What about the phrase 'and avoiding personal issues like trouble with drink' was unclear to you? I was pointing out that regardless of how much the actors I listed drank - and Burton and O'Toole drank lots - here were some people I thought could have been good Bonds. Okay?

#63 shadytreewejustdoredyouract

shadytreewejustdoredyouract

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:45 AM

As someone who interviewed Roger for a book on The Saint, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable question. Can't see why it would freak him - or anyone in the audience - out at all.

Which book was that, Shady? I'm wondering if I have it in my collection.

The Saint: From Big Screen To Small Screen and Back Again. Was a joy to do.

#64 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

What about the phrase 'and avoiding personal issues like trouble with drink' was unclear to you? I was pointing out that regardless of how much the actors I listed drank - and Burton and O'Toole drank lots - here were some people I thought could have been good Bonds. Okay?

My sincere apologies,spynovelfan, I misunderstood your meaning entirely. I thought you were suggesting that those gentlemen had 'avoided trouble with drink'and that you were implying that Oliver Reed was somehow an exception in the 60s British acting scene in his over fondness for booze. I now see the error of my ways. Egg all over my face. Humble pie for lunch. I'll get my coat...

Edited by draxingtonstanley, 17 February 2007 - 12:28 PM.

#65 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

THE FINAL BOTTLE COUNT...(Source: wikipedia)

Died suddenly from a heart attack during a break from filming Gladiator, reportedly after downing three bottles of Capt Morgan's Jamaican rum, bottles of German beer, numerous doubles of Famous Grouse whisky.

He'd slowed down from his prime when, drinking with 36 buddies, they downed: 60 gallons of beer, 32 bottles of Scotch, 17 bottles of gin, 4 crates of wine and one bottle of Babycham.

Reed also holds the distinction of, during a marathon pub crawl, throwing up on Steve McQueen.

#66 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

Oliver Reed as Bond.....

"I can think of something more sociable to do. Happy hour perhaps!"

"You have no idea how it's stacking up. Talking of stacking up, I was on this bender with 004 and we had a 14 pint glasses stacked up on the bar."

"The airsickness?"
"Maybe, but in all honesty it's just my system reacting to last night's beer festival in Geneva."

"Cocktails at my place? Well, in all honesty Penny, everynight is cocktail night for me."

"You've lost something, Mr Bond."
"You're not joking about that. I've no recollection of last thursday."

#67 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:53 PM

Oliver Reed as Bond.....

"You have no idea how it's stacking up. Talking of stacking up, I was on this bender with 004 and we had a 14 pint glasses stacked up on the bar."

"The airsickness?"
"Maybe, but in all honesty it's just my system reacting to last night's beer festival in Geneva."

"Cocktails at my place? Well, in all honesty Penny, everynight is cocktail night for me."

"Shaken, stirred, I don't care - just make it quick!"

May he rest in peace. A brilliant British actor whose reputation preceeded him.

#68 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

Oliver Reed as Bond.....

"The airsickness?"

He was that, and then some. Alas, he was also a brilliant British actor whose precedents reputed him. :cooltongue:

#69 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:02 AM

Oliver Reed as Bond.....

"The airsickness?"

He was that, and then some. Alas, he was also a brilliant British actor whose precedents reputed him. :cooltongue:

Touche!

#70 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:55 PM

Why not ask this question about the Bond movies made by actors other than Lazenby?

#71 RJJB

RJJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:59 PM

If you would read the initial post, you will see why this question is asked specifically in regard to OHMSS. As usual, your question adds nothing to the existing discussion.

Edited by RJJB, 27 April 2007 - 08:11 PM.

#72 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:41 PM

If you would read the initial post, you will see why this question is asked specifically in regard to OHMSS. As usual, your question adds nothing to the existing discussion.

Yes it does. I would like to know why this forum would consider other actors in OHMSS and not ask the same question about the non-Lazenby movies.

#73 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:06 PM

I would like to know why this forum would consider other actors in OHMSS and not ask the same question about the non-Lazenby movies.

Perhaps the fact that Lazenby refused to do any more Bond movies gives his film an aura of a missed opportunity?

#74 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

Yes it does. I would like to know why this forum would consider other actors in OHMSS and not ask the same question about the non-Lazenby movies.

I

#75 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

I'm sure it would but this thread is evidently about a particular actor at a particular point in time.

#76 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

Because OHMSS was a point where the casting was truly up in the air, leading to many different alternate routes that could've been taken.

It's just fun to discuss and isn't meant to be an attack on Lazenby.

#77 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

Trust me; it was very weird. Roger was slightly confused at the question and we felt very uncomfortable. You may not have noticed because you were so keen on learning that invaluable piece of trivia, but it certainly made us think 'aren't fans weird?'. If I'd have asked him a question I'd have wanted to feed him with somewhere he could have gone to tell us an anecdote, perhaps complement him, share a joke... anything but use a movie and TV legend of the last fifty years as some kind of dull font of dry trivia. It was supposed to be fun.

Oh, I see now.

A fan, at a fan event, asked a fan question - and that totally ruined it for you?

What were you there for, the food?

Stumbled in there on the way to your Mensa meeting by accident and you thought you would stay and have a laugh at the anoraks?

I hope you appreciate the irony of criticizing someone about possible casting in a thread fan-wanking about Oliver Reed possibily being cast as Bond in OHMSS?

Oh but it was the hallowed halls of the Barbican! He's a film and TV legend!

Um, you realize this is the man who did such cinematic masterpieces as Spice World, and puts down his own talent (or lack thereof) more than any critic could possibily hope to?

A question about the Equalizer is simply not worthy of the man who said "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised."?

Why would such a question offend the delicate sensibilities of such a noted thespian OR the people there to see him?

I think most of us have been in situations where we wish fellow fans had more couth. But I can't fathom why you would think this situation warrants that lament.

Does the Equalizer have some incredibly foul reputation in the UK or something? (I can't believe Woodward would stoop to doing American television!)

When Woodward had his heart attack, it was reported that Moore would take over. I remember reading about it in the Washington Post. I was excited. Then, when the episodes aired, Robert Mitchum played the part instead. No entertainment or fan publication ever explained why.

And Delmo, who has met Roger Moore in person twice, and who researched, scripted, and drew the Personality Comics Biography of Moore, wanted to find out if Roger had any information about why it didn't happen.

Oh the humanity!

I suppose, it is so much easier to sit on the high horse and not ask any questions, and just criticize those who did.

As someone who interviewed Roger for a book on The Saint, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable question. Can't see why it would freak him - or anyone in the audience - out at all.

Because it was weird and uncomfortable, as I remember. I mean, look at that long aggressive (and oddly nationalistic) rant you quoted... does that seem in proportion? Imagine the person who wrote all of that actually asking a question like the one we're talking about... see what I mean?
I'd never put learning a bit of dry trivia above wanting to socially interact in a normal way with the star of an evening like that. That's why it seemed weird to us.
When you meet William Shatner, do you ask how he beat the Gorm beast on the moon of Rigel 6, or do you offer to buy him a pint and have a laugh?
I certainly don't feel embarrassed.

#78 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:26 AM

The Saint: From Big Screen To Small Screen and Back Again. Was a joy to do.

Excellent book, Shady.

My asking Roger whether he was asked to appear in "The Equalizer"-the topic that refuses to die. It should be a thread all its own. Maybe I should start a poll asking all CBners who attended that event at the Barbican whether my question brought the event to a screeching halt? We already know Marktmurphy's vote.

#79 Keir

Keir

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:29 AM

THREE pages to this topic and NO-ONE submitted the greatest, the most legendary, nay, immortal moments on British television history: Oliver Reed on Aspel!!!!!
WHAT A FANTASTIC SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(PS Terence Stamp would have made a phenomenal Bond).

Edited by Keir, 07 May 2007 - 11:38 AM.

#80 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:27 PM

THREE pages to this topic and NO-ONE submitted the greatest, the most legendary, nay, immortal moments on British television history: Oliver Reed on Aspel!!!!!

'The Real Oliver Reed' documentary

thats quiet interesting worth a watch if you liked oliver's work

#81 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:31 PM

'The Real Oliver Reed' documentary

thats quiet interesting worth a watch if you liked oliver's work

Thanks for those links,gentlemen.

Interesting how this thread quickly moved from an impassioned debate to
something not far short of a bar brawl in an old wild west film....
or The Three Musketeers (Richard Lester version,naturally).

RIP Oliver Reed.

Edited by draxingtonstanley, 21 October 2007 - 11:34 PM.

#82 pat006

pat006

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

But it's from THE ASSASSINATION BUREAU! :D

Show us one Bondish photo of Reed from any point before 1969, because I'm finding it hard to see it.

here he is in hammer's paranoiac from 1964

and check out my vision of ollie reed as bond
http://patart-pat.blogspot.com/

how does he looks? quite bondian, isn't he?
can't beat george anyway!!!

Attached Files

#83 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:19 PM

Don't think Oliver would have been a good Bond. Anyway, excellent stuff Pat!

#84 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:44 AM

Just watched 'How To Steal A Million' with Peter O'Toole in his prime,and I have to say,spynovelfan you were right; he would have been a fantastic Bond. Urbane and classy but with a real hint of steely menace when required. I shall now stop returning to this thread like a dog to it's own vom.

#85 Dr.Mirakle32

Dr.Mirakle32

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:26 AM

Oliver Reed would certainly be interesting, but one actor who I think would have been an excellent Bond around the time was John Saxon. Despite him being American, I always thought he came off as a more likeable Sean Connery type. He was especially Bondian as Mr. Roper in ENTER THE DRAGON.

#86 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

Oliver Reed was once invited to a greek tv show, one of those big extravaganzas copying big Italian shows. The guy who presented it was, I think, not very good at English, so it was the co-host, a twenty-something blonde with long legs, that had to do the interview. She approached with awe, interviewing a legendary international star. At one point, she asked him about women, how important they are in his life, and the usual nonsense. So, she asks him: What is it you like about women? And, without considerable hesitation, he replies: Nipples! :(

I believe that was the end of the interview. She just found a way to end it in a while, especially as he was getting more and more affectionate towards her.

God bless him!