85 replies to this topic

#31 Odd Job

Odd Job

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:54 AM

There is no doubt that Oliver Reed was a great talent and he did have a powerful screen presence (Bill Sykes in 'Oliver' is a great example) but I just don't see him as Bond. However as a rival to Bond (KGB or SPECTRE agent), definitely, he would have been sensational. It is a shame that his drinking ruined such a promising career. In the last twenty years of his life he only seemed to pop up in straight to video shockers. At least however he went out on a high in 'Gladiator'. I thought he was excellent in that last role.

Regards

Odd Job

#32 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

Isn't there also the story of a young Connery (a few years prior to DR. NO) punching out a gangster who was insulting a woman Connery was with?

I've heard the Connery story--was it Lucky Luciano he duked? The woman may have been Lana Turner.

Apparently during the filming of Another Time, Another Place Connery did deck Lana Turner's boyfriend Johnny Stompanato. This was the same Stompanato who was later stabbed to death by Turner's daughter.

It seems Stompanato heard rumours of an affair and threatened Connery with a gun while on set! He was deported after that.

Sir Sean decked Johnny Stomp?! Cool! You cats debate who the best bond is. Sean Connery is my hero.

#33 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

He died of a heart attack in a bar after downing three bottles of Captain Morgan's Jamaica rum, eight bottles of German beer, numerous doubles of Famous Grouse whiskey.

Just another days consumption for Fleming's Bond, before heading out on a deadly mission after midnight...

#34 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:01 PM

LOL!

#35 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:56 PM

Wow! Excuse me?! That's a massive chip you have on your shoulder, there!
Going back in time a couple of years(!); I thought the person who asked that question, who later turned out to be someone on here (and obviously being a 'CBn administrator' makes that a worse crime(!) ), asked a hideous question, which smacked of fan-wankiness and made the whole audience shift in their seats because it was such an uncomfortable moment. Were you actually there? Sometimes being polite and making a pleasant social experience is more important than knowing whether an actor nearly took a role ina crappy TV show twenty years ago. But from your oddness on this thread I wouldn't imagine you'd understand that.

Not to go off-topic but, why exactly was my asking Roger whether he was offered a guest-starring role on The Equalizer such a hideous question? What audience were you sitting in where, according to you, said audience shifted uncomfortably in their seats because of said question? I asked the question, Gareth repeated it to Sir Roger, he thought a moment, then answered that he had been offered but turned it down due to a busy schedule. Sorry I ruined the "pleasant social experience" for you but, I was finally able to confirm a rumor I had heard in the summer of 1987 when the episode that Roger would've starred in was being filmed.

Trust me; it was very weird. Roger was slightly confused at the question and we felt very uncomfortable. You may not have noticed because you were so keen on learning that invaluable piece of trivia, but it certainly made us think 'aren't fans weird?'. If I'd have asked him a question I'd have wanted to feed him with somewhere he could have gone to tell us an anecdote, perhaps complement him, share a joke... anything but use a movie and TV legend of the last fifty years as some kind of dull font of dry trivia. It was supposed to be fun.

Back on topic...having seen Oliver Reed in 2 Saint episodes, I couldn't see him playing Bond. If memory serves, he didn't look to be in Bond shape in those episodes, and they were filmed prior to OHMSS. With his prediliction for the grape, I doubt he would be able to slim down for the part.

Oh rubbish- here he is in 1969:

Posted Image

#36 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:27 PM

I wonder if anyone would seriously have suggested Oliver Reed for Bond pre-Craig's casting! :cooltongue: I think Craig is sort of that stamp of British actor that was around in the sixties, so perhaps that's why our minds are there. Reed was a great actor, but I think better candidates for 007 in the same vein - and avoiding personal issues like trouble with drink - would have been

Richard Burton:
Posted Image

Peter O'Toole:
Posted Image

Richard Harris (brother-in-law of Pierce Brosnan's first wife, of course):
Posted Image

Richard Johnson:
Posted Image

Terence Stamp (on the left; Peter O'Donnell is on the right):
Posted Image

I believe at least two of the above were considered for the part.

#37 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:52 PM

Well Cubby Broccoli had him in mind for a start. And as a big fan of
Oliver Reed's,the idea of him as the best Bond that never was has been
floating around my head ever since I saw The Assasination Bureau as
a kid. Delighted with Daniel Craig btw. Richard Burton was too old by
th time of OHMSS in any case.

And are you trying to tell me,spynovelfan,that Richard Burton,Richard Harris and Peter O'Toole
didn't have "trouble with drink'?

#38 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:54 PM

Richard Burton was too old by th time of OHMSS in any case.

Well, he was certainly older than Lazenby! But I think he could have done it, no problem. Check out WHERE EAGLES DARE, released in 1968 (which has quite a lot in common with OHMSS):

Posted Image]

He looks more like Bond than the picture of Reed posted a bit further up the page, doesn't he?

#39 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:06 AM

Thanks for that,spynovelfan. I'm very familiar with Where Eagles Dare,it's
one of my favourite films in fact. But I have to stand by my assertion that
Burton was a tad too old to step into the role by that point.
There's even a line from Mary Ure's charcter where she alludes to Burton
being "too old for this sort of thing" to which he replies in classic Burton
style "Thank you for those few kind words". And his weight fluctuates wildly
in the film due to his drinking. It's still great though. Younger Burton as
Bond yes,WED Burton no.I specifically mentioned Oliver Reed
for OHMSS,not before,not after.

And the picture of Oliver Reed further up the page was from a period
drama,I beleive. Or even fairly 'hip'for the late sixties. With the right
haircut,Oliver Reed would certainly nail the Bond look. IMO.

#40 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:29 AM

But it's from THE ASSASSINATION BUREAU! :cooltongue:

Show us one Bondish photo of Reed from any point before 1969, because I'm finding it hard to see it.

#41 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:20 AM

[quote name='spynovelfan' date='15 February 2007 - 00:29' post='701896']

The Assasination Bureau IS a period piece! It's set at the beginning of the 20th
century. Pre WW1. There are Zeppelins in it! (An anachronistic Atom bomb too,
but it's a 'wacky' 60s caper).
If you can't see it with Oliver Reed,we'll just have to agree to differ. But stop trying
to make out that he was the only hard drinking actor of that era, It was a BIG part
of the culture back then.

#42 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:23 AM

There is no doubt that Oliver Reed was a great talent and he did have a powerful screen presence (Bill Sykes in 'Oliver' is a great example) but I just don't see him as Bond. However as a rival to Bond (KGB or SPECTRE agent), definitely, he would have been sensational.

Watch Disney's Condorman. Reed's quite good as the villainous KGB spymaster in that one.

#43 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:27 AM

Show us one Bondish photo of Reed from any point before 1969, because I'm finding it hard to see it.
[/quote]

I'm a recovering technophobe so can't really help you there. But check out Hannibal Brooks(1969).
Oliver Reed has short hair in that one. You're struggling with the haircut,right?

#44 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:33 AM

Trust me; it was very weird. Roger was slightly confused at the question and we felt very uncomfortable. You may not have noticed because you were so keen on learning that invaluable piece of trivia, but it certainly made us think 'aren't fans weird?'. If I'd have asked him a question I'd have wanted to feed him with somewhere he could have gone to tell us an anecdote, perhaps complement him, share a joke... anything but use a movie and TV legend of the last fifty years as some kind of dull font of dry trivia. It was supposed to be fun.

Trust you? I wouldn't trust you as far as I could throw you.

I was there. Roger wasn't slightly confused at the question-he was recalling whether he had been asked or not, then answered accordingly. You may have felt uncomfortable, which is your problem, but no one else did. You can't answer for the rest of the audience. Considering the fact that I flew from the US just to see him, I think I'm allowed to ask him any question I choose, weird or not, whether you like it or not.

As for the photo of Reed circa 1969, I still don't see him as Bond, and he looks a little thick to me.

#45 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:35 AM

Watch Disney's Condorman. Reed's quite good as the villainous KGB spymaster in that one.
[/quote]

I saw it at the cinema. Terrible film,but Oliver Reed was superb in it. No longer Bond material by
that point,but I remember thinking at the time what a fantastic Bond villain he would have been.
Still do. And a great Bond when younger.

#46 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:42 AM

I'm a recovering technophobe so can't really help you there. But check out Hannibal Brooks(1969).
Oliver Reed has short hair in that one. You're struggling with the haircut,right?
Hold on,don't tell me-you're going to reject Hannibal Brooks on the grounds that it wasn't released before
1969. Okay try the Hammer film Paranoiac(1963). I think he has short hair in that one. Or "I'll Never Forget
Whatsisname"(1967). He plays a disillusioned advertising exec in that one. Wears a suit AND has reasonably short hair.
All good films btw.

Edited by draxingtonstanley, 15 February 2007 - 01:44 AM.

#47 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:07 AM

Hmm... I really don't think you would have any idea as to how to behave in normal company if that's how you talk to people.

I was there. Roger wasn't slightly confused at the question-he was recalling whether he had been asked or not, then answered accordingly. You may have felt uncomfortable, which is your problem, but no one else did. You can't answer for the rest of the audience.

But you can? You know that no-one else felt uncomfortable with no doubt whatsoever? I'm talking for me and my friend, and a couple of people nearby to me who groaned. It was weird and very 'sad fan'-ish and made me feel a bit embarrassed. Sorry, but it was. I'm not trying to make a big thing of this- but it seems some people have a chip on their shoulder about this and are determined to drag it back.

I wonder if anyone would seriously have suggested Oliver Reed for Bond pre-Craig's casting! :cooltongue: I think Craig is sort of that stamp of British actor that was around in the sixties, so perhaps that's why our minds are there. Reed was a great actor, but I think better candidates for 007 in the same vein - and avoiding personal issues like trouble with drink - would have been

Richard Johnson:
Posted Image

I'd never really thought about him, but he looks extremely Bond-ish there, doesn't he?

#48 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:39 AM

Oh calm down, everyone.

Oliver Reed could have been a very interesting Bond. He may have looked after himself better / been forced to if a plum role like that had come his way. But I'm speculating and when I have to catch a flight down to wherever he is now and I'm in his presence, I doubt I'll ask him.

#49 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

Even in the 60's, Reed was a bit chunky. Not Lazenby "I'm as hard as nails" chunky but "I like my ale and pies but am just about holding it together" chunky. I like the Assasination Bureau but just cant see Reed as Bond.

Was James Fox ever considered for the role? Terrific actor who was a bright young(ish) talent in 1969. He had the acting chops, played a cold killer brilliantly in Performance in 1968. He could've been a blend of Moore's upper crust smoothness and Craig's intensity.

Posted Image

#50 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

The Assasination Bureau IS a period piece!

I know - but you said that this is the film that made you think he'd be a great Bond, and the photo you claim doesn't really show his Bondishness off very well is from that film. :angry:

If you can't see it with Oliver Reed,we'll just have to agree to differ. But stop trying
to make out that he was the only hard drinking actor of that era, It was a BIG part

Um, where did I do that? I had Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton in my list!

Scrambled Eggs, I agree with you on Fox - could have been terrific. Edward as well.

#51 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:44 PM

According to Cubby Broccoli,Oliver Reed was close to the top of the list of contenders when Connery walked afterYOLT. He was rejected on the grounds that his hard living image would have been too much baggage to bring with him into the role,which is understandable,but I for one am tantalised by what could have been. Check out The Assasination Bureau(1968). He was in his prime,had great chemistry with Diana Rigg,and,to my mind,is one of the best Bonds we never had. Failing that,he would have been an incredible villain at almost any point in the series from then on. Your thoughts? Please bear in mind I'm talking about Oliver Reed circa 1968,not circa Castaway(as Bond anyway).

I like Reed, but don't see him as Bond. In '68, he also appeared as Bill Sykes in Oliver! It's a great performance, but his look does not suggest Bond to me; he seems too stocky and bovine. That said, I think he would have been better than Richard Burton.

On a sidenote, Burton was supposed to be an even bigger lush than Reed. But it was claimed that, when making The Wild Geese, Roger Moore drank Burton and Richard Harris (another notorious hellraiser) under the table. So I'm not sure where attacking dead men for their drinking gets us.

#52 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:01 PM

[/quote]

I know - but you said that this is the film that made you think he'd be a great Bond, and the photo you claim doesn't really show his Bondishness off very well is from that film. (/quote)

I made no such claim for that or any other photograph.It's YOU who wrote him off on that pretext. I don't think it's about photographs in any case,Reed had a fantastic screen presence, which doesn't neccesarily come across in photos.It comes across to me still when I watch TAB,period look or no.You and I aren't going to agree on this one spynovelfan,but I don't think you've really come up with a better alternative suggestion. Do you think he would have made a good villain at least?

#53 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:07 PM

Heh- true! Fun bit of trivia is that because of all the drinking actors of that generation like these guys, Terence Stamp, even Michael Caine to an extent, car insurance is still higher for actors! :angry:

On a sidenote, Burton was supposed to be an even bigger lush than Reed. But it was claimed that, when making The Wild Geese, Roger Moore drank Burton and Richard Harris (another notorious hellraiser) under the table. So I'm not sure where attacking dead men for their drinking gets us.

Makes me think of that great line from the wonderful DCI Gene Hunt; 'I could drink all of that lot under the table and still stop off for a pint on the way home' :cooltongue:

#54 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:32 PM

According to Cubby Broccoli,Oliver Reed was close to the top of the list of contenders when Connery walked afterYOLT. He was rejected on the grounds that his hard living image would have been too much baggage to bring with him into the role,which is understandable,but I for one am tantalised by what could have been. Check out The Assasination Bureau(1968). He was in his prime,had great chemistry with Diana Rigg,and,to my mind,is one of the best Bonds we never had. Failing that,he would have been an incredible villain at almost any point in the series from then on. Your thoughts? Please bear in mind I'm talking about Oliver Reed circa 1968,not circa Castaway(as Bond anyway).

I like Reed, but don't see him as Bond. In '68, he also appeared as Bill Sykes in Oliver! It's a great performance, but his look does not suggest Bond to me; he seems too stocky and bovine. That said, I think he would have been better than Richard Burton.

Good point. One small correction: Burton was reportedly 'dry' during the filming of Geese. I remember articles praising how fit he looked. Now, there's no way of knowing if hell off the wagon. But he looked remarkably fit in that film.

#55 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:29 PM

Oh, I see now.

A fan, at a fan event, asked a fan question - and that totally ruined it for you?

What were you there for, the food?

Stumbled in there on the way to your Mensa meeting by accident and you thought you would stay and have a laugh at the anoraks?

I hope you appreciate the irony of criticizing someone about possible casting in a thread fan-wanking about Oliver Reed possibily being cast as Bond in OHMSS?

Oh but it was the hallowed halls of the Barbican! He's a film and TV legend!

Um, you realize this is the man who did such cinematic masterpieces as Spice World, and puts down his own talent (or lack thereof) more than any critic could possibily hope to?

A question about the Equalizer is simply not worthy of the man who said "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised."?

Why would such a question offend the delicate sensibilities of such a noted thespian OR the people there to see him?

I think most of us have been in situations where we wish fellow fans had more couth. But I can't fathom why you would think this situation warrants that lament.

Does the Equalizer have some incredibly foul reputation in the UK or something? (I can't believe Woodward would stoop to doing American television!)

When Woodward had his heart attack, it was reported that Moore would take over. I remember reading about it in the Washington Post. I was excited. Then, when the episodes aired, Robert Mitchum played the part instead. No entertainment or fan publication ever explained why.

And Delmo, who has met Roger Moore in person twice, and who researched, scripted, and drew the Personality Comics Biography of Moore, wanted to find out if Roger had any information about why it didn't happen.

Oh the humanity!

I suppose, it is so much easier to sit on the high horse and not ask any questions, and just criticize those who did.

#56 shadytreewejustdoredyouract

shadytreewejustdoredyouract

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:11 PM

Oh, I see now.

A fan, at a fan event, asked a fan question - and that totally ruined it for you?

What were you there for, the food?

Stumbled in there on the way to your Mensa meeting by accident and you thought you would stay and have a laugh at the anoraks?

I hope you appreciate the irony of criticizing someone about possible casting in a thread fan-wanking about Oliver Reed possibily being cast as Bond in OHMSS?

Oh but it was the hallowed halls of the Barbican! He's a film and TV legend!

Um, you realize this is the man who did such cinematic masterpieces as Spice World, and puts down his own talent (or lack thereof) more than any critic could possibily hope to?

A question about the Equalizer is simply not worthy of the man who said "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised."?

Why would such a question offend the delicate sensibilities of such a noted thespian OR the people there to see him?

I think most of us have been in situations where we wish fellow fans had more couth. But I can't fathom why you would think this situation warrants that lament.

Does the Equalizer have some incredibly foul reputation in the UK or something? (I can't believe Woodward would stoop to doing American television!)

When Woodward had his heart attack, it was reported that Moore would take over. I remember reading about it in the Washington Post. I was excited. Then, when the episodes aired, Robert Mitchum played the part instead. No entertainment or fan publication ever explained why.

And Delmo, who has met Roger Moore in person twice, and who researched, scripted, and drew the Personality Comics Biography of Moore, wanted to find out if Roger had any information about why it didn't happen.

Oh the humanity!

I suppose, it is so much easier to sit on the high horse and not ask any questions, and just criticize those who did.

As someone who interviewed Roger for a book on The Saint, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable question. Can't see why it would freak him - or anyone in the audience - out at all.

#57 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:21 AM

As someone who interviewed Roger for a book on The Saint, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable question. Can't see why it would freak him - or anyone in the audience - out at all.

Which book was that, Shady? I'm wondering if I have it in my collection.

#58 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:18 AM

Oliver Reed was in good company back in the sixties. Michael Cain, Richard Burton, Richard Harris. They were all boozers, big time. And they all made brilliant films. It may have been Reed's reputation that prevented his 00-license. But I think he would have been an excellent Bond. After OHMSS, just think what LALD would have been like.

#59 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:55 AM

Hmm... I really don't think you would have any idea as to how to behave in normal company if that's how you talk to people.

I was there. Roger wasn't slightly confused at the question-he was recalling whether he had been asked or not, then answered accordingly. You may have felt uncomfortable, which is your problem, but no one else did. You can't answer for the rest of the audience.

But you can? You know that no-one else felt uncomfortable with no doubt whatsoever? I'm talking for me and my friend, and a couple of people nearby to me who groaned. It was weird and very 'sad fan'-ish and made me feel a bit embarrassed. Sorry, but it was. I'm not trying to make a big thing of this- but it seems some people have a chip on their shoulder about this and are determined to drag it back.

Richard Johnson:
Posted Image

I'd never really thought about him, but he looks extremely Bond-ish there, doesn't he?

See 1967's Deadlier Than The Male starring Johnson as Bulldog Drummond. In it, Johnson's Drummond is extremely Bondian and battles among others femme fatale Elke Sommer who has an Ursula Andress-type entrance with her rising out of the sea in a bikini toting a spear gun.

#60 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:46 AM

Heh- true! Fun bit of trivia is that because of all the drinking actors of that generation like these guys, Terence Stamp, even Michael Caine to an extent, car insurance is still higher for actors! :angry:

Makes me think of that great line from the wonderful DCI Gene Hunt; 'I could drink all of that lot under the table and still stop off for a pint on the way home' :cooltongue:

DCI Hunt is, indeed, a legend. I'd like him as prime minister.