248 replies to this topic

#121 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:59 PM

I've decided to devote a NEW PAGE on my Young Bond site to this novel. A one-stop spot for news and info. :tup:

#122 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

Maybe we'll get an update in the next few months? Hopefully?

I don't know why we would. Really, I don't expect to hear anything until closer to 2007.

Yeah, it's taking me longer to finish than I thought.

Love it.

#123 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:07 AM

Well, we can cross one name off the list: Lee Child

I also sent emails to John le Carre and Frederick Forsyth, but I haven't heard back.

#124 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:33 AM

Zencat, Lee Child was already off the list! :tup:

http://www.mi6.co.uk...=3344&catid=105

It was discussed here, too.

John le Carr

#125 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:02 AM

[As of 2001, Frederick Forsyth had no interest in writing Bond:

http://www.007foreve...reports009.html

He could have changed his mind, of course (been given an offer he couldn't refuse :D), but I personally don't believe it will be a massively famous thriller-writer.

Saw Forsyth interviewed on BBC4 last night. It's been a long time since I read any Forsyth (or much else not Bond related really :tup: ) but the interview did remind me how Freddie's background at least might well suit him to Fleming-style Bond - multi-lingual in three languages, spent much of his youth in Europe, experienced foreign correspondent, military background, rabidly right-wing, bonviveur...

Perfect Fleming clone for the 2000s. In fact, I can't readily think of anyone more suited from that point of view.

Now, what about his writing....

#126 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:49 AM

Saw Forsyth interviewed on BBC4 last night. It's been a long time since I read any Forsyth (or much else not Bond related really :tup: ) but the interview did remind me how Freddie's background at least might well suit him to Fleming-style Bond - multi-lingual in three languages, spent much of his youth in Europe, experienced foreign correspondent, military background, rabidly right-wing, bonviveur...

Perfect Fleming clone for the 2000s. In fact, I can't readily think of anyone more suited from that point of view.

Yes, you beat me to it! I think Forsyth is a terrific researcher, has great premises for his plots, and really knows how to keep a reader turning the pages (usually). His prose is workmanlike, though, and his characterisation is non-existent. I wonder if that would matter *too* much for Bond - he has so many other advantages. But when you've written several of the best-selling thrillers of all time, why would you want to be known as one of the guys who followed Fleming? I think it's unlikely.

That said, Dennis Wheatley did sketch some notes for a Bulldog Drummond story. :D

#127 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

No way, none of them. Now the idea has been put in my head, I think Jim should do it. Definitely.

#128 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:56 AM

Yes, you beat me to it! I think Forsyth is a terrific researcher, has great premises for his plots, and really knows how to keep a reader turning the pages (usually). His prose is workmanlike, though, and his characterisation is non-existent. I wonder if that would matter *too* much for Bond - he has so many other advantages. But when you've written several of the best-selling thrillers of all time, why would you want to be known as the guy who followed Fleming? I think it's unlikely.

That said, Dennis Wheatley did sketch some notes for a Bulldog Drummond story. :D

Agree 100% on all you've said about Forsyth, Spy.

I make the point only of the clear similarities in background with Fleming: I read a review once of Benson which said more-or-less how could a short, un-attractrive (not my words, Benson fans note) family orientated computer designer from Chicago possible understand what makes an upper middle-class Englishman created by a man from a similar backgrround, who was a bonviveur, louche at times, self-indulgent yet wordly, and essentially put himself into Bond.

Then again, in the interview last night, Freddie did refer to being bored at times with his normal out put: I think he was alluding to his unsuccessful take on Phantom of the Opera. You never know, at this stage of his career, Bond might appeal... IFP might make the right deal, he might approve of Higson, Daniel Craig...

#129 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:49 PM

Saw Forsyth interviewed on BBC4 last night.

I saw that too. Very good piece of television, although Mark Lawson wasn't the most amazing of interviewers (when Forsyth mentioned he'd been unsuccessfully trying new kinds of writing projects, I expected Lawson to ask "Such as?", but he didn't, leaving me and doubtless many other viewers completely in the dark as to what Forsyth had been failing at - science fiction? Biographies? Comedy? Who knows?).

I noted the Fleming resemblances (although, as a Bond fan, one tends to automatically start looking for them in thriller writers), but the chief problem would seem to be that Forsyth writes only one book every few years. He came across as almost proudly unprolific, and it would seem unlikely that, at his age, he'd want to make one of his few remaining novels a Bond outing.

In any case, I expect he'd want a tremendous amount of money, which IFP would be unlikely to pay. I don't imagine we'll get any really big names for the 2008 novel, although that said they'd certainly have market value, and since this is a 100th anniversary one-off, who can say? On balance, though, I doubt it. And while there are some "star" novelists I'd love to see hired for Bond (William Boyd being my top choice, followed by Paul Theroux), I rather hope they'll end up going for quality rather than fame, and not signing, say, Stephen Fry just because he's a celeb.

#130 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

Saw Forsyth interviewed on BBC4 last night.

I saw that too. Very good piece of television, although Mark Lawson wasn't the most amazing of interviewers (when Forsyth mentioned he'd been unsuccessfully trying new kinds of writing projects, I expected Lawson to ask "Such as?", but he didn't, leaving me and doubtless many other viewers completely in the dark as to what Forsyth had been failing at - science fiction? Biographies? Comedy? Who knows?).

I noted the Fleming resemblances (although, as a Bond fan, one tends to automatically start looking for them in thriller writers), but the chief problem would seem to be that Forsyth writes only one book every few years. He came across as almost proudly unprolific, and it would seem unlikely that, at his age, he'd want to make one of his few remaining novels a Bond outing.

In any case, I expect he'd want a tremendous amount of money, which IFP would be unlikely to pay. I don't imagine we'll get any really big names for the 2008 novel, although that said they'd certainly have market value, and since this is a 100th anniversary one-off, who can say? On balance, though, I doubt it. And while there are some "star" novelists I'd love to see hired for Bond (William Boyd being my top choice, followed by Paul Theroux), I rather hope they'll end up going for quality rather than fame, and not signing, say, Stephen Fry just because he's a celeb.

As I pointed out, Loom, my only reason for advocating Forsyth is that because of his backround and its similarity to Fleming is that he might have a better handle on what makes Bond tick rather than, say, Benson and Gardner.

I think Forsyth just stands out as the candidate who would appreciate that most. Consider what happened when Gardner tried recreate Bond in his own style or Benson tried ape the movies. I think Forsyth at least would understand what might make a basically sexist, upper middle class, right wing government agent with the very best things in life as his compensations, rather than many other novelists mentioned in this thread.

Perhaps it's only that suitability of attitude and backround that might interest Forsyth in IFP's offer which, as you say, is unlikely to match his normal going rate.

#131 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:07 PM

I think if you wanted someone with a similar outlook and background to Fleming, plus the ability to write very exciting, entertaining, well-researched thrillers with a travelogue feel and an element of extravagance to them - George MacDonald Fraser. 81 to Forsyth's 69, though. :D But GMcF's Flashman series is absolutely top stuff. All Bond fans should give him a go. He co-wrote OCTOPUSSY, but don't hold that against him. :tup:

#132 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

George MacDonald Fraser.

He'd make Fleming look like Higson, though. :tup:

http://commanderbond...es/2440-1.shtml

#133 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:33 PM

Gerald Seymour, anyone?

Ex-foreign correspondent. Can't vouch for his louchness, though :tup:

Terrific writer (again, if I recall correctly), tremendously descriptive and involving action AND motivation. Perhaps too much?

Also, a bit obsessed by the twist, downbeat ending. Would satisfy Bond fans of CR and OHMSS type.

#134 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:42 PM

George MacDonald Fraser.

He'd make Fleming look like Higson, though. :tup:

http://commanderbond...es/2440-1.shtml

Yeah, I've read that and am aware of his politics. But we can't have it all ways, can we? It's never stopped me loving Flashman - it's what that needs. I don't think he lets his politics intrude into his writing in quite the same way le Carr

#135 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:48 PM

Good call on Gerald Seymour, DS. Haven't read a lot. No designer clothes, flash cars, fancy hotels or swish cocktails in his books, but as it's a one-off, why not? He's not a great prose stylist, but again - finding someone who *is* Ian Fleming might be a touch hard to arrange. :D I think Seymour could do it well, and is 'gettable' and a reasonably big name to boot. HARRY'S GAME is a bona fide classic of the genre.

Try THE GLORY BOY'S, Spy.

The character Jimmy :tup: in that could effectively be an early 50's hard-drinking Bond not saved by M by sending him to Japan for YOLT and not sanitised by John Gardner. Sure, no Aston Martin's but an ageing agent still very good at his job but whose ONLY compensation happens to be the bottle.

#136 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:10 PM

[quote name='spynovelfan' post='540362' date='4 April 2006 - 14:42']
Yeah, I've read that and am aware of his politics. But we can't have it all ways, can we? It's never stopped me loving Flashman - it's what that needs. I don't think he lets his politics intrude into his writing in quite the same way le Carr

Edited by Lazenby880, 04 April 2006 - 02:11 PM.

#137 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:39 PM

Thought i heard something a while back - probably in the original news about this - that it wasn't neccesarily a one-off novel, that a series was under consideration, possibly dependent on success of the first new novel.

Edited by Hawkeye, 04 April 2006 - 02:44 PM.

#138 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:51 PM

If I ruled the world, sorry, were head of IFP, I'd make it a condition that the writer not bring in Bond's politics. Fleming hardly ever did and even then only tangentially, but somehow his Bond is seen as a little to the right of Himmler. In his interview with Playboy, Fleming had this to say about Bond:

'I don't think that he is necessarily a good guy or a bad guy. Who is? He's got his vices and very few perceptible virtues except patriotism and courage, which are probably not virtues anyway. He's certainly got little in the way of politics, but I should think what politics he has are just a little bit left of centre. And he's got little culture. He's a man of action, and he reads books on golf, and so on - when he reads anything. I quite agree that he's not a person of much social attractiveness. But then, I didn't intend for him to be a particularly likeable person. He's a cipher, a blunt instrument in the hands of government...'

Making Bond a little bit left of centre wouldn't work now, though - you'd be accused of being a pinko Commie whatnot, and the critics would have a field day. Similarly, if he's a reactionary old duffer who wants to bring back national service, everyone will go on about how Bond's politics have dated. I really don't think you can win putting Bond's politics in. So I would ban that. ('Fascist!') :tup:

Much as I like the idea of some big-hitter writing a Bond novel, I'd far rather they got someone lesser known who really knocked it out of the park and did several. On holiday last year, I found a thriller called THE DOUBLE TENTH by a British writer called George Brown in the apartment we were staying in. I'd never heard of him. But it was brilliant, and very Fleming in feel (gruesome torture scene; Chinese villain with metal hands; and yet it didn't feel like a rip-off). He's written several books. Apparently it's a pseudonym. No idea who he is. But someone like that would get my vote. Just someone who knows how to write this kind of book.

#139 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:21 AM

Alan Furst, anyone?

#140 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:42 PM

I hate to gush here. But the prospect of getting a new Bond novel is exciting to me. Being a one off makes it seem even more special. And if they do the films every two years we'll also be getting Bond 22 in 2008. How awesome is that!

2008 is going to be a great year for Bond :tup:

#141 BondReader 007

BondReader 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

I hate to gush here. But the prospect of getting a new Bond novel is exciting to me. Being a one off makes it seem even more special. And if they do the films every two years we'll also be getting Bond 22 in 2008. How awesome is that!

2008 is going to be a great year for Bond :tup:

Gush away, I am right behind you! I think 2008 should be a great Bond year!

#142 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:00 AM

What I'd give for a Thomas Harris-penned Bond novel. It's a fantasy that will never come true... but if only...

#143 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:27 PM

Bond 22 in 2008? That would be great, but I thought they were on a three year cycle now.

#144 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:20 PM

Bond 22 in 2008? That would be great, but I thought they were on a three year cycle now.

Perhaps they'll revert back to two years for a little while with Craig being brand new to the role? While three years is not that bad, I'd certainly love two. :tup:

#145 I never miss

I never miss

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:34 PM

I'd like to think that IFP would co-ordinate it so that a book was published in a year that a film wasn't released in order to keep us going and have a annual 'fix'. Probably unlikely though - they like the publicity that a forthcoming Bond movie gives them.

I'd like Freddie Forsyth to try writing one - pay him a fortune for a one-off, CS type novel. The Day of the Jackal, his first book, is my favourite read of all time. Yes it was written 35 yrs ago, but I believe that this man deserves a shot at Bond. He is certainly good enough to do Bond justice.

#146 Robert Watts

Robert Watts

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:22 AM

I've read Avenger recently, Forsyth's latest. The man still has it. (Actually I found parts of it better prose wise then DotJ)

#147 Robert Watts

Robert Watts

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:21 PM

[quote name='spynovelfan' post='540248' date='4 April 2006 - 17:33']
[quote name='zencat' post='540159' date='4 April 2006 - 00:07']
[/quote]

Zencat, Lee Child was already off the list! :tup:

http://www.mi6.co.uk...=3344&catid=105

It was discussed here, too.

John le Carr

#148 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:48 PM

A lot of die-hard Fleming fans I know also love the writing of Thomas Harris. Is there an overlap (genres aside)?

#149 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

Is there an overlap (genres aside)?

I think so. Lecter is the James Bond of serial killers, really. At the same time, I believe at least one CBner (Jim) reckons Bond to be - some of the time, at least - the Lecter of spies (in effect). Apologies if I'm misunderstanding and misrepresenting your views, Jim, but I do gather that you see 007 - the "proper" 007, that is - as something of a psychopathic mass murderer, and not always a 100% decent and pleasant fellow.

In both Fleming and Harris you get:

- The element of the bizarre (obviously). Sadism (goes without saying).

- Exoticism (well, only in "Hannibal", really, with Florence, but I imagine that "Young Hannibal: Beyond the Ice" or whatever it's called will take the doc to some far-flung locations, which will doubtless be described brilliantly). High living - again, mostly in "Hannibal", where Lecter's gastronomy and oenophilia make Bond look like a paragon of self-denial who doesn't have the first clue about food and wine.

- A glimpse into a secret world of danger and intrigue (espionage services in Bond, the F. *pause* B. *pause* I. *loud exhale* in Harris).

- A very distinctive - a very authoritative - authorial voice. Both writers often imitated but never equalled.

- A hero who never seems to age. Note how sprightly Lecter appears always to be, even in the '90s, and then ponder his birthdate.

In addition, just as Fleming wrote only Bond novels (more or less), it's interesting (perhaps) that Harris writes only Lecter novels (again, more or less).

#150 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:16 PM

News!

They have an "well-known writer", but will keep his identity a secret until publication.

Well-Known Writer Selected for Centenary Novel