248 replies to this topic

#181 Robert Watts

Robert Watts

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:28 AM

Maybe (from a certain point of view) it will be the first in a new series by a rotating author. The resurrection of Robert Markham with a new and renown author everytime. They tried doing it with Young Bond (although not Markham).

That would be quite fitting I think if the new novel was credited to "Robert Markham". What better way to celebrate 100 years of Bond with a new novel "written" by the man who took over for Ian Fleming.

Wouldn't publishing them under Robert Markham defeat the purpose of dishing out the buckets of cash for a respected and best selling author?

#182 Nimsworth

Nimsworth

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:57 AM

Wouldn't publishing them under Robert Markham defeat the purpose of dishing out the buckets of cash for a respected and best selling author?

Not really since the general public would probably know who it was written by anyway. And its a nice little nod to Bond literary fans in my eyes.

But hey thats just me

#183 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:01 PM

Attention : Everywhere in France and on the internet, including Yahoo news, Google news etc, it is announced that this new novel will be the 15th in the series !!!

ALL THE OTHER NOVELS DIDN'T EXIST AND DO NOT EXIST. Wow. First continuation novel due 2008 then.

Don't you love it ? The general public will gob it up. After all, easier to sell this next one as the first continuation than the nth...

http://tf1.lci.fr/in...emplacant-.html

Here's another one that says it's going to be the 15th novel !

http://permanent.nou...0889e.html?2244

All these sources are very serious newswire, they never post any tabloid crap, this is the real deal, the 15th Bond novel all over the news

And here's another one !

http://www.cyberpres...175/1017/CPARTS

The guy who wrote the first release sheet that is now spreading this disinformation is either a fan of rewriting history, plain incompetent, or someone involved somewhere just think it makes a better newstory, to erase Markham, Gardner, and Benson from history.

Better yet, it could be that this new novel will be a sequel to TMWTGG, and that all the post Bond novels will be discounted as just spin offs !

Edited by stamper, 23 July 2006 - 03:17 PM.

#184 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:12 PM

Excellent! This is great news! :tup:

#185 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:34 PM

Attention : Everywhere in France and on the internet, including Yahoo news, Google news etc, it is announced that this new novel will be the 15th in the series !!!

ALL THE OTHER NOVELS DIDN'T EXIST AND DO NOT EXIST. Wow. First continuation novel due 2008 then.

Some of the reports have been sort of odd. Check this out from The Guardian:

Two earlier authors, Kingsley Amis and John Pearson, had limited success with Bond sequels. But Charlie Higson's Young Bond series for teenagers has sold outstandingly well.

How do you remember Pearson, but miss Gardner and Benson?

#186 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

If you ask people who wrote Colonel Sun, the majority of people will tell you Kingsley Amis, not Robert Markham (if they know what Colonel Sun is :tup:). Everybody knows. There are even some editions that say Amis either exclusively or with Markham on the cover.

Don't you love it ? The general public will gob it up. After all, easier to sell this next one as the first continuation than the nth...

I doubt anyone is surprised. Benson disregarded Gardner. You gotta think of these things as their own little series anyway.

#187 Robert Watts

Robert Watts

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:01 PM

http://tf1.lci.fr/in...emplacant-.html

Here's another one that says it's going to be the 15th novel !

http://permanent.nou...0889e.html?2244

All these sources are very serious newswire, they never post any tabloid crap, this is the real deal, the 15th Bond novel all over the news

And here's another one !

http://www.cyberpres...175/1017/CPARTS

The guy who wrote the first release sheet that is now spreading this disinformation is either a fan of rewriting history, plain incompetent, or someone involved somewhere just think it makes a better newstory, to erase Markham, Gardner, and Benson from history.

Better yet, it could be that this new novel will be a sequel to TMWTGG, and that all the post Bond novels will be discounted as just spin offs !

I love the smell of a freshly oiled PR department in the morning :tup:

#188 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:48 PM

Two earlier authors, Kingsley Amis and John Pearson, had limited success with Bond sequels. But Charlie Higson's Young Bond series for teenagers has sold outstandingly well.

Honestly, I think all three are now totally forgotten outside hardcore Bond fandom (not even just "casual" Bond fandom).

Ask anyone who's not a hardcore Bond fan yet still has a reasonable knowledge of literature and pop culture (in other words, not some ignoramus who doesn't know about anything at all) to name an author of the Bond books, and that person will say Fleming - or, if unusually well-informed and up to speed on current events you'll also get Higson.

Seriously, not having a pop at any continuation novelists here, but I really do think everyone but Fleming and maybe Higson (Higson's more likely to get mentioned in the UK, I guess) is a total and utter unknown to anyone who doesn't follow Bond, and even then follow Bond in a big way (I mean, I considered myself a Bond expert until a few years ago when I noticed in a bookshop that there appeared to be a fellow by the name of Raymond Benson who was writing new novels; this was something I had to discover by accident as there was no promotion or press fanfare whatsoever).

Talking of which, and sad to say, I strongly suspect that there won't be any reminders of former continuation novelists when the 2008 novel is released. Expect plenty of articles giving the impression that the only person who wrote James Bond books was the late, great Fleming.... UNTIL NOW!

#189 Robert Watts

Robert Watts

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:40 AM

I agree ^

Anyway, it made the Australian NineMSN news, they acknowledged Amis and Gardner, probably the two most notable of the post Fleming Bond authors.

http://news.ninemsn.....aspx?id=116452

#190 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:45 AM

I can believe not mentioning Benson as he made little impact, but Gardner had a bit of publicity so I'm a little surprised he wasn't mentioned; but I suppose it was a long time ago.

#191 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:00 AM

Yeah, Gardener started well, released the same number of novels as Fleming (exc movie tie-ins) and had a bunch of publicity when he kicked off in '81.

Oh well.

#192 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

Because one of them is being reissued shortly and this is s pretty damn big clue that the others won't be.

It's their property and they can do what they want with it. Denying the Gardner and Benson books is as straightforward as issuing them in the first place, if not more so.

#193 Nimsworth

Nimsworth

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:10 PM

So one would assume this novel takes place in the 60s since this is set after TMWTGG?

#194 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:22 PM

Because one of them is being reissued shortly and this is s pretty damn big clue that the others won't be.

It's their property and they can do what they want with it. Denying the Gardner and Benson books is as straightforward as issuing them in the first place, if not more so.

But I'm not talking about IFP. I'm just talking about The Guardian reporter here. That paragraph was not in the press release. They added it to flesh out their story -- and little history of the Bond continuation novels. So I just think it's odd how this reporter somehow discovered Pearson but missed Gardner. Who is a larger part of continuation novel history?

#195 Mr Ashdown

Mr Ashdown

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:41 PM

Might I just optimistically offer the name of Christopher Brookmyre into the arena? He would, I am very sure, write a *fantastic* James Bond book.

#196 Ourobouros

Ourobouros

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:10 PM

Jeffrey Archer, mark my words.

#197 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:36 AM

I believe the author with be Jack Higgins (real name: Harry Patterson).

#198 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:56 AM

But I'm not talking about IFP. I'm just talking about The Guardian reporter here. That paragraph was not in the press release. They added it to flesh out their story -- and little history of the Bond continuation novels. So I just think it's odd how this reporter somehow discovered Pearson but missed Gardner. Who is a larger part of continuation novel history?

Well, maybe the journalist read his one and didn't bother with any of the others. Maybe it's an insight into how little impact the continuations generally had. Maybe it's poor research. Maybe there's more to the story than the press release. Maybe maybe maybe.

Dunno.

#199 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

Maybe the journalist is actually Raymond Benson and he's too modest to mention himself, and has also gone back to seeing Gardner as someone who should be munched at McDonalds.

#200 Robert Watts

Robert Watts

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:37 PM

Maybe the journalist is actually Raymond Benson and he's too modest to mention himself, and has also gone back to seeing Gardner as someone who should be munched at McDonalds.

LOL

#201 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:07 PM

Frank Miller (Sin City) will be the new writer.

#202 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:29 PM

(Quoting Frank Miller's Bond) "Who am I? Are you retarded? I'm James Bond dammit!"

All kidding aside, he would not be a good choice. If going the route of comic writers, how about Doug Moench-who has done a James Bond comic before, Brain Azzarelo, Brad Metzler or Kurt Buseik.

#203 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:17 AM

I doubt very much it will be a comic book artist (though some of them would certainly be just fantastic for the job; maybe too fantastic). I've got the impression IFP has approached some more or less established writer, perhaps even someone considered "serious" (for whatever that term means). And as it seems highly probable that the 2008 novel will be period 60s, maybe they even gave him enough freedom to make his work really outstanding. After all, IFP wants something different and remarkable for the 2008 event (or at least that's what I gather from the statements up to now).

Unfortunately, there are only ever so many ways to achieve that goal. I can only think of drastic measures to get something new and up-to-now-unheard-of in a Bond continuation. Really drastic, as in, for example, getting taken out of the 00-section (finally reached the mandatory age of 45 :tup: ); getting entirely thrown out of the service for behaviour unfit for an intelligence officer; getting crippled during his last mission. Or, of course, being killed. The James Bond novel to end all James Bond novels. The definite end of James Bond. No Holmes/Reichenbach treatment. We already had that in YOLT/TMWTGG. Just the coffin lid for Bond and The End on the last page. Somehow I feel, we're going to get one of the above mentioned plots, or a combination thereof.

And don't think that would be the killing of the franchise/the duck with golden eggs. Whenever IFP choses to, they can hire another author to write another continuation, either period 60's, 70's or 80's; they can aknowledge or disregard any work of any continuation writer as they see fit. And change their minds the next day. Or the next century.

Edited by Trident, 27 July 2006 - 03:01 PM.

#204 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

I was just joking, it just seems that Miller is everywhere these days...

#205 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

I was just joking, it just seems that Miller is everywhere these days...

Have you read his All Star Batman Series? Issue 2 (where i took that ridiculous quote and threw in Bond's name) made me quit reading it. Oh boy, Frankie has gone off the deep end.

But all we know is that there is a writer named and that is being held top secret. So, will someone from the New York Times get on this and inform the public since we have a right to know?

#206 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:19 PM

"Honey, where did I put my gun?" :tup:

#207 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:19 PM

I think the writer is Martin Amis, but since he is not too well known, and reports from IFP say that he is a well known author, Tom Clancy. Imagine if he wrote a Bond novel. Ian Rankin would be a good fit as well.

#208 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

Ian Rankin would be a good fit as well.

I somehow got stuck with his second book "Hide and Seek". I ought to give it a second try. Rankin seems to fit the IFP description of a well known name and being a scotsman is certainly not a backdraw. Isn't he more into the crime and mystery business? Perhaps Peter Robinson might be another contender in the same vein?

#209 Panther

Panther

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:56 PM

I would lay good money (though perhaps not quite my shirt) on it being Frederick Forsyth. He's just finished a new novel. He's well-known and could, conceivably, be considered to be serious. Certainly, he writes a damn good thriller.

Any takers?

#210 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:24 PM

I would lay good money (though perhaps not quite my shirt) on it being Frederick Forsyth. He's just finished a new novel. He's well-known and could, conceivably, be considered to be serious. Certainly, he writes a damn good thriller.

Any takers?

Could well be. He has often been compared to Fleming and was mentioned a lot when the question of the next adult continuation arose. Certainly the biggest name next to leCarr