248 replies to this topic

#61 TortillaFactory

TortillaFactory

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:37 AM

All true, although John Gardner was at one time also very vocal about his dislike of the character! While I think you're absolutely right about LeCarre doing everything Ann Fleming feared Amis would, I'd personally kind of like to see it! If we're going to have a series of one-off, non-canonical novels by name authors, it would be cool to see LeCarre deconstructing 007. (Though I guess he already did that in Tailor of Panama, among others.)

Excellent point about Gardner, and one that crossed my mind...I agree too, however, that le Carre may have lost the sense of gentle humour he once had, that might allow him to write Bond.

I believe the closest he came to "deconstructing" our man was not Tailor of Panama (only in the film did Andy Osnard become a Bond parody, and then because of Brosnan), but Tinker Tailor. James Prideaux, the brilliant field agent, taken down by a bullet to the shoulder that ultimately shattered much more than bones and tendons. Forced into retirement and living in constant pain, he becomes a teacher at a posh boys' school where he impresses them all with his mystique and gives them strange nicknames. Every once in a while he awes them with his ability to break an owl's neck and kill it instantly. To me, this is le Carre's concept of Bond: useful, but disposable. No real loyalties except to his own virility and immortality, and when it's challenged, he falls apart.

Yes, lately ol' John has been getting extremely political. It doesn't suit him. He's turned into a radical leftist, a deconstructionist of Western culture, to the point where Kim Philby would be immensely proud of him. He was far more interesting when he was idealogically ambiguous, IMHO.

So, perhaps the le Carre of the 70s would have churned out a decent Bond story, but nowadays, who knows? Perhaps he'll follow in Gardner's footsteps and we'll all find out.

All of these suggestions are interesting. I didn't know Hugh Laurie was a novelist, but I'd love to see his take as well.

#62 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:14 AM

[quote]All true, although John Gardner was at one time also very vocal about his dislike of the character! [/quote]

He was, but it's held against him by many. Lots of people disliked that Gardner didn't seem to care for the character - I don't think it's a good idea to do that again.

[quote name='TortillaFactory' date='29 August 2005 - 07:37']I believe the closest he came to "deconstructing" our man was not Tailor of Panama (only in the film did Andy Osnard become a Bond parody, and then because of Brosnan), but Tinker Tailor.

#63 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:06 PM

Well, it's about bloody time!

#64 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:36 AM

Two more names. Ken Follett. George MacDonald Fraser. Any thoughts?

View Post

Ken Follet is a name I already wanted to mention before in another thread. I've only read "The Needle" and "Triple" yet, but I got the impression he prefers to write period pieces. If IFP would allow him to set his work in, say 1968, I can see a good chance for him to take over. And I'm sure he'd be capable to bring it off.

On GMF we already agreed that he would be a top choice and could certainly write a magnificient book. Last March I've read an interview with him in some british sunday newspaper. He came across as someone decidedly angry and disappointed with modern british society, playing (?) the grumpy old man, as he got famous for over the last few years.

He might not want to write a contemporary piece. Or, if forced to, would include rather sarcastic comments on our lifestyle. Somehow I could see Bond agree on these comments very much and they would certainly mirror some of Bonds/Flemings views. Maybe he would in fact be the best choice for the task? Unfortunately he seems to be occupied with his own work very much and may not want to put this aside for a while to write Bond. But then, if asked properly? Who knows?

I'd like to mention another name. I wanted to drop this one before but always forgot about it when I was online. How about Philip Kerr?

I've read his Bernhard Gunther series, three PI-novels set in 1930's and 1940's Berlin and can strongly recommend them. They are a kind of blend between hard-boiled PI and classic spy thriller and all had a very creepy feeling to them. Two others I've read were "Gridiron" and "Esau". They too were very gripping and enjoyable. Both are set in our contemporary world with a heavy nod to advanced technology and show that Kerr is able to get his nuts and bolts correct (I trust he never would try anything like invisible cars at least!). "Esau" is even (to an extent)a kind of spy novel though Kerr was a little bit unsure where to put emphasis on and ended up somewhere between climbing drama, CIA-conspiracy and lost-world yeti. A little bit unbalanced but still a pretty good read IMO. I've yet to read Kerr's "A Five Year Plan" but take it to be a down-to-earth thriller. What do you think?

Edited by Trident, 30 August 2005 - 12:45 PM.

#65 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:14 AM

I've never read Kerr, though he sounds quite intriguing. Depends on how big a name they can attract, I suppose. I think the idea that they can get a massive name and then, "if it goes well", restart the series, is a bit odd. Someone like MacDonald Fraser, Follett, Forsyth or whoever would only want to do one. If it was a success, then they'd have to get someone with a lower profile, as they did with Gardner. That's why they got Gardner, because they needed someone who could write commercial straightforward thrillers, and who would be prepared to do it for a while. Whether or not that has to be linked to an established writer having done a one-off is unclear to me - if it's a big success, people might be very disappointed by a 'standard' sequel. Though it does make some sort of sense, it seems a bit like rehiring Brosnan for CR - they'll have to get someone else for the next one anyway. Though perhaps the publicity would carry through...

I think the job is a little like starring as Bond and a little like directing a Bond film. They might get a Tarantino who wants to do one. They might, however, get lots of Clive Owens who don't want to be typecast forever after as 'the guy who wrote a Fleming sequel'. That's what happened to Gardner, who's written a lot of other stuff. And the past form isn't encouraging. So I wonder if they might not compromise and get someone who is a thriller writer, but not of the top rank and who is happy to hang around for a bit. Ie another Gardner, but hopefully one who's happy to stay around. So we could see Gayle Lynds or someone. It will be tough to find a really established writer who wants to take a year out to do this - they'd have to be a massive Bond fan, really. I think William Gibson would do it. Here's a snippet from a piece he wrote for WIRED in 1999:

'My father bought a stainless steel Rolex Oyster with a stainless band at a duty-free in Bermuda in the early '50s.

After his death, not very long after, my mother put it away in a bank vault, from whence I wheedled it when I was 18 or so. I had a Rolex dealer in Tucson replace its white dial with a black one, so that it would be more like the one James Bond wore in Fleming's novels. I loved it, and, one very sad night a few years later, I sold it for very little to a classmate of mine, in order to pay for a hotel room in which to enjoy, if that's the word, a final bitter tryst with my high school sweetheart. It was one of those dumb-:), basically self-destructive gestures, and I actually don't regret it. I needed that hotel room. But I've always missed that watch, that Rolex Oyster Precision, and have always had it in the back of my mind to replace it one day with another of similar vintage...'

#66 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:16 PM

Hey! That one sounds as if he really got the hang on Bond! Nice to see somebody nowadays still having some emotional ties with an ordinary object like a wristwatch. But of course a Rolex is not just a wristwatch. And certainly not ordinary! Reminds me a bit of Bond's taughts about his own Rolex in OHMSS or about his Beretta in DAF and DN.

A funny coincidence is that Kerr in "Esau" also refers to one of his protagonists wearing a Rolex. And the timepiece is mentioned very flatteringly as it survived a major climbing accident in the Himalayas and a near drop from the El Capitan if my memory serves. But Kerr seems not to think so highly of SEIKO watches as he bashes one in "Gridiron" (something I can not completely understand as I'm wearing one for several years now and was not yet let down by it).

But I understand the basic problem of IFP. No one wants to become "the guy/girl who once did a Bond novel and messed it up". Or "the guy/girl who was young and promising but needed the money". In the literary world this could mean the definite end to ones career. Somehow I think this problem could only be solved by a really big name who doesn't have to proof anything anymore. One who might do it not merely for money but for the sheer fun. Of course such a writer would have to be a big Bond fan and enjoy writing stuff that his readers enjoy. Not somebody who writes for "relevance", whatever that term means nowadays. Again, as has already been said, Stephen King comes to my mind. A writer who doesn't give a damn about critics and solely writes to entertain. I'm not sure if he would aim for anything more than a pastiche, but even that would be welcome to me. And I think he might come up with some twists one wouldn't expect when reading Bond. But that's just a dream of mine. Surely there are more such writers out there, aren't there?

Edited by Trident, 30 August 2005 - 02:17 PM.

#67 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:34 PM

Perhaps they will republish all of the Gardner books.

#68 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:23 PM

View Post

Don't see any reason why they'd change their minds now.

#69 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:47 AM

Sorry if someone has already pointed this out, but check out this comment by John Gardner.

John Gardner, who penned 16 James Bond novels throughout the 1980s and 1990s (including two novelisations) has ruled himself out for taking on the new project. "Sorry, but for me Bond is very much in the past. No more comments, no more interviews."

Guess this means no John Gardner CBn interview. :)

#70 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:35 AM

Yeah, it was actually in our article about halfway down.

Sounds like they phoned him during dinner or something. He sounds pissed. :)

#71 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:53 PM

It would be very fun if CBn could get an exclusive interview with Gardner. Many of his books held very high standard

#72 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:27 PM

View Post

Don't see any reason why they'd change their minds now.

View Post

Well becuase it seems a great celebration to release all the Bond books that if it wasn't for Fleming Bond wouldn't exist.

#73 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:51 PM

It would be very fun if CBn could get an exclusive interview with Gardner. Many of his books held very high standard

View Post

I've exchanged emails with Gardner -- he helped me with my Saab article -- and he's very nice. I've thought about approcahing him for an interview, but I'm nervous because the interview will be all about Bond (this is a Bond site, afterall). Besides, other sites have done some very good Gardner interviews (like UNIVEX) and Gardner does a great job of covering the Bond books on his own official site, so I really don't know what more we could ask.

#74 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:03 AM

Zencat, I think the only way to get a decent interview with Gardner on Bond now would be to home in on specifics. Otherwise, he either wouldn't do it, or would simply rehash what he has said before. Just my view.

As for the 2008 idea, I just interviewed a well-established British novelist via email and asked him if he'd be interested in the gig. He said yes, though he thought there would probably be restrictions on what he could do with the brand. But he also said he'd think of trying to have Bond 'crack up a bit'. He mentioned Tracy's death in OHMSS, and said he'd consider having Bond dealing with some traumas from his past as he tries to save the world. I can see why he said this, but it has of course been done already. Not just in the recent Brosnan films, either - you feel it at several points in Fleming's novels (the opening of THUNDERBALL, for example). It's the kind of thing a well-established writer who's seen a few Bond films might come up with. But I think what IFP really need to find is someone who will write a *straightforward Bond adventure*. Not some kind of post-modern take on the whole thing. That might be a nice experiment, but it won't go anywhere. If they wrote a really good thriller, it could be a best-seller, and EON might even film it. Deconstructing Bond could only ever be successful in the short term. So they need to find a Bond fan who can write. Not so easy to find.

#75 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

Not some kind of post-modern take on the whole thing. That might be a nice experiment, but it won't go anywhere.

View Post

I'd agree with that, but equally I'm not sure where a straightforward thriller can go. The appeal of the Bond novels is basically in the way Fleming wrote them and/or the fact you've got the bloke from those movies doing cool things in them. If Benson couldn't do the former, then he certainly aimed well (and reasonably) at the latter. Writing a Fleming-style novel and just simply trying to be Fleming can never really work because you'll always measure up badly. It'll be okay, but personally I'd like to some a little experimentation. Short stories or novellas which play with the format a little- do a straight Fleming; a Roger Moore movie-style one; set one in Gardner's Bond period; do one in iambic pentameter; cast Bond as the villain... there's plenty of fun to be had for the intelligent reader. It probably would be a bad idea for a number of reasons (I'm not sure printed Bond is in a healthy enough state to play with the brand), but I'd read it!

#76 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:28 PM

(I'm not sure printed Bond is in a healthy enough state to play with the brand)

View Post

I think that's really the problem with it. I think it's unlikely to happen, but if they got Robert Harris to write a Bond novel, you could have a critical and commercial success on your hands. Then build on that, reintroduce the series again, and if the books continue to sell and reignite interest, *then* do the short stories and iambic pentameter stuff. Try it before that and I don't think anyone outside this forum would be interested in buying it.

#77 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:00 PM

Absolutely. It's just that from a personal perspective I'm not sure how much I want to read a Fleming ripoff. I'm sure I will but I don't think it's the best way forward for Bond from a creative point of view. Deconstructing Bond certainly isn't as you say, but I'd like to see a little inventiveness that makes going back to the character worthwhile.

#78 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:14 PM

Well, you've seen how it's possible to do that, Mark. You enjoyed THE HEART BLEEDS ICE. A Fleming rip-off? I don't think so, though it is much more in tune with Fleming's world than any of the continuations I've read. Deconstruction? No - there are elements to it that read that way, but in all it's a fairly straight and faithful, albeit deepened, reading of the character. Straightforward thriller? It has many of the required elements: Mafia, girl from past, exotic locations, a strong plot. I wouldn't call it straightforward, of course, but if extended and played with, I think it's clear that it could become a commercially viable, critically acclaimed and eminently filmable Bond novel (although something tells me Jim might want a clause saying Brosnan can't be in it). I wouldn't say it's flawless (and hate to bang on) - but it opens one's mind as to what might be possible. Certainly opened mine.

#79 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:28 PM

You're right, but... I'm not sure what I mean really. I don't think I could go a whole novel with a main character who is so miserable and not available to change in any way. I'd like an edgier Bond novel which I know might not end with Bond surviving, losing the girl etc.

And as to whether THBI is a Fleming ripoff... well, in a very basic way it is. It has James Bond in it; a travelogue feel and has terrific prose. It's a riff on Fleming, albeit a very good one. It's the way I'd like to see any continuation go (i.e. with a surprising, clever and thoughful plot) but I'd like to see a stage further.

And a car chase, of course :)

#80 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:36 PM

Well, not quite sure I understand you, Mark. 'I'd like an edgier Bond novel which I know might not end with Bond surviving, losing the girl etc.' Are you referring to THBI? Pretty edgy. I think the trick would be just that: to make you think Bond might not survive, and so on. Obviously, he would survive, but for the duration of the novel you'd wonder.

'It has James Bond in it; a travelogue feel and has terrific prose.'

But you said you wouldn't want to see this? How else could you have a Bond continuation without Bond? Well, unless you go with other double-ohs, as I've advocated previously. :)

'It's a riff on Fleming, albeit a very good one. It's the way I'd like to see any continuation go (i.e. with a surprising, clever and thoughful plot) but I'd like to see a stage further.'

Well, I think the plot's surprising, clever and thoughtful - more so than much of Fleming. I think if Jim were given the opportunity - and wanted to take it - he could take the series a stage or 15 further. Agreed, he might be forced to write a *proper* car chase. :)

Enough talking about Jim in the third person from me.

#81 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:53 PM

Well, not quite sure I understand you, Mark. 'I'd like an edgier Bond novel which I know might not end with Bond surviving, losing the girl etc.' Are you referring to THBI? Pretty edgy. I think the trick would be just that: to make you think Bond might not survive, and so on. Obviously, he would survive, but for the duration of the novel you'd wonder.

View Post

In a way- I like some of the newer tricks Jim pulls such as the last 'memento' scene, but I was never in any doubt that he wouldn't end up with the Lady. And Bond is always miserable and pondering his own mortality- it's an aspect of the literary character which I'm very bored with. I'd almost like to see a more TSWLM-style third person approach to Bond, but that's tricky as he spends so long on his own. I don't really know what I want; perhaps Jim's approach is enough; it's hard to know until I read the new novel.

'It's a riff on Fleming, albeit a very good one. It's the way I'd like to see any continuation go (i.e. with a surprising, clever and thoughful plot) but I'd like to see a stage further.'

Well, I think the plot's surprising, clever and thoughtful - more so than much of Fleming. I think if Jim were given the opportunity - and wanted to take it - he could take the series a stage or 15 further.

View Post

Me too- that's why I said it :) . And yeah; I'm no writer so no great expert, but I'm sure there's a way to bring Bond alive on the page and not to be a slave to Fleming- as Jim has done, but with perhaps just a little more.

And if you don't want to talk about Jim in the third person, does that mean you are him?

#82 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:10 PM

I'm not Jim. You know what I mean - talking about him as though he were not here. :) Anyway... it is a forum. He can chip in, I suppose. I take your point about miserabilism, but for me that would be the acceptable face of what the writer I was emailing earlier was talking about. For most people who'd pick this up, that aspect would be fresh and new, because they wouldn't have read Fleming and they're used to the rather blase film character, albeit shot through with the occasional patch of depression and untied tuxedoness. I think THBI is a lot bleaker than Fleming, even. Sure, you could have a Moore-ish take, too - don't think it would reignite the series, though, and I'd be more interested in that, long-term, than in what you or I might like to read but aren't quite sure about. :) I agree that it's tricky, and one of the problems has been in imagining just what it would be that we would really want, and that a mass audience would really want. The reason we're discussing this is because mass audiences have not been reading Bond. So I do think you're being too fussy. Jim has already, for me, taken this to another stage, one I didn't think possible. I think his story far outstrips expectations for the character. I also think that a *very* staightforward perhaps more Mooreish approach would be unsatisfying in book form. Think it works for screen, and that they've tried to veer from the basics too much in the last few films - I agree that for the films they should just get back to having a scary villain, a wonderful caper, and an untroubled Bond. But a screenplay in book form isn't going to be enough.

Can't explain it much more without thousands of words, I'm afraid. Sure, if you took Jim's writing to another stage it would be amazingly amazing. Whatever the result was, though, I could say I thought it was great, but I'd like it taken to another stage. And so on. I just think that's unrealistic. An extended version of THBI, with a stylish cover with some decent marketing and distribution and, alright, enough firepower in it to satisfy 15-year-old boys, would, I think, turn this franchise around. I think it would be a far better bet than most of the other options.

I suppose I'm banging on ever so slightly about it because I'm a little saddened at how little coverage/publicity/reading it has got among the 'Bond community'. I think it's required reading. It's on this site, here.

#83 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:48 PM

Anyone see the headline about Higson wanting to do the adult continuation novels? To be fair I'm unsure as to that. I mean I think it's a crime to be going aginst Fleming with the Young Bond series..but in the end it's Bond after all....

Moving on, i'm sure if Higson could do it he might do a great job.

Edited by Sam Fisher, 08 September 2005 - 08:54 PM.

#84 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:52 PM

Higson Comments on Adult Bond Novel

"It's a shame because I'd love to do it."

I, for one, would love to see Higson get this gig.

#85 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:18 PM

I, for one, would love to see Higson get this gig.

View Post

Yeah, I hope if the position is still available when he finishes his 5 Yound Bonds, he gives an adult Bond a crack. As good as I think SilverFin was, while reading it, I thought he would have written a better adult Bond.

#86 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:21 PM

Christopher Wood would be my choice. His writing style was closest to Ian Fleming's.

#87 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:48 PM

Yet another Contact Music report that proved to be a load of bull. :) Why does anybody even go to that site anymore?

Haven't read any of the Young Bond stuff, but Higson seems to have a great attitude toward the subject. I wonder if he'll feel the same in five years or so. It'll be intersting to see.

#88 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:08 PM

[quote name='Turn' date='9 September 2005 - 10:48']Yet another Contact Music report that proved to be a load of bull.

#89 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:50 AM

too bad about the false rumors.... well... the ones about the book anyway.

#90 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:52 AM

Nice! IFP torpedoes rumors of the Young Bond movie and that any author has yet been approached for the adult Bond novel.

IFP Shoots Down "Unsubstantiated Rumours"

No Young Bond movie. No author approached for 2008 book.

See, Eon, is that so hard? :)