Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Radio Times Top 40 TV Shows of 2012

28 dec 2012

1. Sherlock BBC1
An opening episode in which Sherlock Holmes visited Buckingham Palace dressed only in a bed sheet, and (almost) met his match in the form of whip-smart dominatrix Irene Adler, helped prove that “brainy is the new sexy” as Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat's superlative detective drama triumphantly returned in January. Next came a hi-tech spin on Conan Doyle classic The Hound of the Baskervilles; and then the best 90 minutes of TV this year, packed with twists and subtle clues. Benedict Cumberbatch smouldered throughout but later admitted that he, like us, had been reduced to tears by Martin Freeman’s performance as the grief-stricken John Watson, who thought he saw his best friend die. A searing turn from Andrew Scott as criminal genius Moriarty – by turns camp and deadly – completed a mesmerising climax, ending in a cliffhanger that will go down in television history. Just how did Holmes survive that plunge from the roof of St Bart’s Hospital? We'll find out in 2013 but, for now, Sherlock is top of our critics' poll by a mile.

Edited by quantumofsolace, 29 December 2012 - 08:29 AM.

#1082 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Only just got around to reading Anthony Horowitz's The House of Silk, despite it idling away on a bookcase for the best part of a year, and I polished it off in half a day as it was so compelling. I don't know what the consensus is among Conan Doyle purists, but I found it gripping and intelligently plotted, and a really excellent stab at channeling the tone and style of the original work. Very impressed.

#1083 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

http://www.radiotime...series-3-return

#1084 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

Very exciting!!!

#1085 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

While I liked the "Sherlock" re-boot, I must say that the end of the last episode of season 2 is one of those shock endings that just cannot be resolved in a satisfying manner.  It will always resort to some trickery that cheapens the whole thing.

I´m still looking forward to series 3 but I would have hoped for the creators to stay away from this sleight of hand.

#1086 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'm also intrigued to see how they resolve the Season 2 ending. I have an inkling, but I'm hoping it's something that most of us haven't even considered yet.

Excited to see Lars Mikkelsen (brother of our very own Mads, aka Le Chiffre) as the new villain.

#1087 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:37 AM

Ian McKellen to play Sherlock Holmes http://www.theguardi...es-slight-trick

New film set in 1947 portrays a tortured, elderly Holmes haunted by an unsolved case

A Slight Trick of the Mind, is set in 1947 and finds the sleuth living in retirement but still haunted by an unsolved case from half a century before. Variety reports that the film is being scripted by Jeffrey Hatcher, the writer of The Duchess, and is billed as a co-production between AI Film, an offshoot of Icon, and BBC Films.

#1088 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

A few new, behind-the-scenes photos from filming for SHERLOCK Series 3: http://www.bbc.co.uk...leries/p01dj7k3

Nothing too revealing, but hopefully it means the publicity drive for the next series is moving into gear.

#1089 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

I'm also intrigued to see how they resolve the Season 2 ending. I have an inkling, but I'm hoping it's something that most of us haven't even considered yet.

Excited to see Lars Mikkelsen (brother of our very own Mads, aka Le Chiffre) as the new villain.

My guess is that Sherlock made use of the rhododendron ponticum referenced earlier in the episode to stop his heart, had his homeless network manipulate the site of the fall in some way, and that Molly Hooper was responsible for reviving him afterwards. Not too long to wait now!

#1090 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Synopsis for THE EMPTY HEARSE (Sherlock Season 3 Episode 1):

Spoiler

Can't wait.

1463231_659708957382859_1984766578_n.jpg

#1091 Double Naught spy

Double Naught spy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

Although I've read all of Sir ACD's literary works of Sherlock Holmes, I admit to only seeing a fraction of the above-choices.  But for sheer book pages-transformed-into-celluloid, I believe that the Jeremy Brett TV shows are THE definitions of "labors of love."    

As a 007 fan, whenever I watch a Brett episode, I always end up lamenting why we can't honor the Fleming novels with the same loving and dedicated treatment. :(  Just like the many incarnations of Sherlock,  I'm convinced that there's enough room for more than just the Eon's version of 007.

PS - Although a different medium - the Clive Merrison BBC radio dramas are equally worthy of the praise that I bestow upon the J. Brett TV shows.

Edited by Double Naught spy, 05 November 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#1092 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

New teaser trailer for SHERLOCK Series 3: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4Vq4s8n8vxw

This shot looks familiar from somewhere... ;)

Sherlock_roof.jpg

#1093 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Oh, yes.  Well, at least Bond is influencing others again... 

#1094 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Just a reminder, as the first new "Sherlock" episode airs on BBC tonight: if you're discussing it, please avoid spoilers or make use of the

Spoiler
tags.

#1095 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

No spoilers from me for now. A really strong episode, handling the two years of speculation particularly smartly.

Also, a fair few SKYFALL locations reused!

#1096 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

THE SIGN OF THREE definitely wasn't the usual SHERLOCK episode, but it's stood up much better on repeat viewings. Given how light it was though, I sense the season finale will be a very dark affair.

#1097 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

I've really enjoyed both episodes so far, and found The Sign of Three to have the most devastating ending of any episode to date. That being said, it was a genuinely funny piece of TV which leads me to believe that you're on the right track, Vaux. I think we're in for something grim for the finale.

#1098 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

The spoiler-free review does seem to indicate that. Quite the eclectic season, I´d say. So far so good.

http://www.sherlocko...w-review-090114

#1099 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:44 AM

A dark finale, but a superbly compelling piece of television. Fantastic.

Plus at least two more Bond references that I spotted.

Spoiler

#1100 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

I honestly thought 'His Last Vow' might have been the worst episode of 'Sherlock'. Unlike the maligned 'The Blind Banker' and 'The Hounds of Baskerville' which are just drab, dull and not as inspired the surrounding episodes of those various series; this episode was actually bad with bad ideas and a shallow structure, with too much of an emphasis on fan-service and Emotional Character Moments TM than on storyVery few of the ideas were connected as well as they could have been, so many of them basically amounted to not really anything and the villain wasn't one. 

I look forward to Series Four, but unlike last time, I don't mind waiting the two years.

#1101 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

Very enjoyable finale, though The Sign of Three remains my favorite of the new series. Some truly wonderful moments, a tremendous musical score, and a great villain made for some seriously entertaining TV (I would even go so far as to say this was the most Bondian episode of Sherlock we've gotten). Not a massive fan of some of the more deceptive/manipulative character beats and story threads (Redbeard hurt, but it was absolutely manipulative) and the ending has left me with severely mixed feelings (we obviously don't know what's truly going on, but I thought that it was an easy route to take as far as cliffhangers go). All the same, Sherlock is still far and away the best show on TV as far as I'm concerned, and I seriously hope Martin Freeman gets some love from the awards shows. His work this season has been his best.

#1102 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

Very enjoyable finale, though The Sign of Three remains my favorite of the new series. Some truly wonderful moments, a tremendous musical score, and a great villain made for some seriously entertaining TV (I would even go so far as to say this was the most Bondian episode of Sherlock we've gotten). Not a massive fan of some of the more deceptive/manipulative character beats and story threads (Redbeard hurt, but it was absolutely manipulative) and the ending has left me with severely mixed feelings (we obviously don't know what's truly going on, but I thought that it was an easy route to take as far as cliffhangers go). All the same, Sherlock is still far and away the best show on TV as far as I'm concerned, and I seriously hope Martin Freeman gets some love from the awards shows. His work this season has been his best.

Agreed on pretty much all of that, Matt, although I'd put HIS LAST VOW as probably the best episode of this season overall.

As for the ending:

Spoiler

#1103 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Seen episodes one and two (twice, which is absolutely necessary in case one is not an English native speaker...). Enjoyed them both very much, even though I think that some things in "Hearse" were a bit much. Getting "Last Vow" tonight. Can't wait...

As to Bond references: stumbled upon this entry in Watson's blog, referring to one of the "uninteresting" cases from "Sign":

http://www.johnwatso...uk/blog/23march :P

#1104 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

While I liked the "Sherlock" re-boot, I must say that the end of the last episode of season 2 is one of those shock endings that just cannot be resolved in a satisfying manner.  It will always resort to some trickery that cheapens the whole thing.

Exactly. Tho' I will give the filmmakers credit for at least having the sense to show us
Spoiler

#1105 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

mr holmes

trailer   

clip   

berlin opening    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU_M9SoQSWI

#1106 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

Exactly. Tho' I will give the filmmakers credit for at least having the sense to show us
Spoiler 

Yes, but note that by doing so, 

Spoiler

Things get great again after that,but this was the low point for me.

#1107 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

Spoiler

Yes, but note that by doing so, 

Spoiler

Things get great again after that,but this was the low point for me.

Exactly. As SAF said, it's "one of those shock endings that just cannot be resolved in a satisfying manner."

#1108 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

Entertainment Weekly interview with Steven Moffat about SHERLOCK Series 4.

http://www.ew.com/ar...son-4-interview

"Frightening, tough, emotional upheaval" suggests the rest of the Mary story is probably on the way.

#1109 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:01 PM

"Frightening, tough, emotional upheaval" suggests the rest of the Mary story is probably on the way.

I'm of two minds on this: yes, I want to know more of Mary's life pre-Watson... but I also don't want it to intrude upon new adventures and adaptations of Doyle stories.

#1110 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:46 PM