1182 replies to this topic

#1141 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

Been looking forward to these for a long time. It feels like these will be the last episodes for a while, so fingers crossed they deliver.

Given that it's been 3 years since the last full series (which in itself was 2 years after it's predecessor) I think that's a given.

Is it just me who is getting annoyed at seeing headlines along the lines of SERIES THAT HAS LONG GAPS BETWEEN SERIES IS GOING TO HAVE A LONG GAP BEFORE ITS NEXT SERIES as actual news headlines. These (annoying) "series ending!!!!" rumors all stem from a GQ interview Cumberbatch gave a few months ago where he was making a point about the different sort of ending this year has - rather than "Don't end it there!!!!" cliff hanger the other 3 series had, this one leaves you in a place where you're feeling "I need a break after that" - and given the ending of The Six Thatchers I'm inclined to believe him.

#1142 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:02 AM

Has the latest (and last? :sad:) season of Sherlock started airing in the UK yet?

#1143 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:08 AM

First episode - The Six Thatchers - aired last night, I loved it. Brilliant direction by Talalay and equally brilliant performances from the entire ensemble.

#1144 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:18 AM

This show never disappoints.

#1145 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:06 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Always look forward to watching this series.

#1146 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

A much darker season opener than I had anticipated. The first half hour was a little hit and miss but once the ball got rolling we were back to top form. Very much looking forward to next weeks episode. It's really good to have them all back at it again. This show is a treat.

#1147 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

In the finale I was hoping

Spoiler

Spoiler tags? Mandatory, optional or unnecessary in this thread?

Not sure what to make of the episode. Some good, some not so good. Will need another viewing to decide one way or another.

#1148 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:18 PM

Spoiler

Not sure what to make of the episode. Some good, some not so good. Will need another viewing to decide one way or another.

Better use spoiler tags. We've got an international readership, not everyone has already had an opportunity to watch it.

Great episode, but not the best. Guess that some of the loose ends will be picked up in the other two. Unfortunately, I knew how it would end, because some German newspapers and websites are dying to rub it in people's faces...

Spoiler

My personal highlight was that hotel in Marrakech – I stayed in that one when I was in Marrakech for the first time some 28 years ago and it was still there six years ago. I almost fell off my chair when I saw the sign... 

#1149 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:29 AM

Spoiler

Better use spoiler tags. We've got an international readership, not everyone has already had an opportunity to watch it.

Thanks Stromberg.

BTW, given your namesake, what did you think of the
Spoiler

#1150 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:11 AM

Good episode, but I felt oddly underwhelmed by a couple of things.

Spoiler

#1151 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

As for the woman sitting in the bus shelter, did anybody notice the poster behind her? It had Toby Jones on it with a few words visible. Jones, of course, is set to become this season's villain.

#1152 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:48 AM

In the normal ADC Canon regardless of the possible number of marriages, Watson never had a child. This proves interesting.

I caught the reference to Sherrinford.  Mycroft had implied his existence before along with being an opposite number to 007's "M"

#1153 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:16 AM

That was an excellent episode. Lots to discuss!

#1154 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:39 AM

Holy cow!

#1155 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:28 AM

Brilliant work from the entire ensemble. Toby Jones' Culverton Smith was incredible and Moffat was clearly having a blast with the mind games he played on the viewer, making you question the reality of everything you saw - Perfectly sold by Nick Hurran's masterful direction.

#1156 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

Did anybody catch the red-lettered message hidden in the end credits? It seemed to paraphrase Henry V, with a hint toward the show's shock ending.

#1157 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

I did, nicely partered with Cumberbatch's recitation of the monlogue from Richard III (appropriatly stopping at "The Game's Afoot")

#1158 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

My jaw is still on the floor the day after. Great episode! So well done.

My personality is I like to be in control. This episode played me!

#1159 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:53 PM

I did, nicely partered with Cumberbatch's recitation of the monlogue from Richard III (appropriatly stopping at "The Game's Afoot")

Henry V, actually, 'tho they truncate the speech from the original.

BTW, "Once more unto the breach, dear friends" should be familiar to Bond fans. Hint: FRWL.

#1160 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:07 AM

Unbelievable episode. One of their best.

#1161 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

Henry V, actually, 'tho they truncate the speech from the original.

BTW, "Once more unto the breach, dear friends" should be familiar to Bond fans. Hint: FRWL.

Always thought was in Richard III, ah, my bad.

#1162 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

This site has transcripts of all the episodes

http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/

I suspect the site owner will have The Lying Detective full transcript up in the next two days.

For now, a dialogue-only transcript is here:

http://transcripts.f...hp?f=51&t=30473

#1163 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

This site has transcripts of all the episodes

http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/

I suspect the site owner will have The Lying Detective full transcript up in the next two days.

For now, a dialogue-only transcript is here:

http://transcripts.f...hp?f=51&t=30473

Great stuff, thanks!  :blink:

#1164 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

REMINDER - PBS affiliates will be airing the season finale "The Final Problem" at 7pm tonight instead of the usual 9pm.

#1165 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

Wo...just wow!

​Won't post anything plot related as I am aware it'll be mostly just the brits on the board who've seen it - but I LOVED THAT! It could go on - but if that is the end, i'd be happy with it as the grand finale - David Arnold throws in a (very subtle yet specific) Bond reference, but I wont say where as context WILL spoil.

#1166 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

Great show.

Great, great series.

#1167 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

Was a bit underwhelmed by the finale myself. Thought it was a bit convoluted. Nevertheless if this is the end, what a unique show and a spellbinding take on the legend. Those closing few minutes are quite good. It's a shame the rest was such a mess.

As far as the Bond music reference is concerned, I didn't catch that on the first go round but you're quite right! Very cool! This whole season has been chock full of nods to the Bond films (and books), but that one flew past me. Good ears!

#1168 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:21 PM

The finale wasn't as good last week's episode but it was still great. There was one moment in there that may have been my favorite moment in the entire series.

#1169 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

"The Lying Detective" (ep.2) was excellent, "The Six Thatchers" (ep.1) was good, "The Final Problem" (ep.3) was fairly good, despite my original impressions that it was weak and at times turgid.

Season 4 reviews - MINOR SPOILERS

The Six Thatchers - good but not great. Fast pace helps. Too much Bondish intrigue. Never liked what they did with Mary's backstory in "His Last Vow" (season 3, episode 3). I liked the initial "dead son" mystery. How did Lestrade know it was Ajay in the pool house? Continuity error? Contrived finale, tho'.  Great shark aquarium set. Sherlock's penchant for picking people apart gets the better of him for once.

The Lying Detective - excellent, one of the best episodes if a bit deliberately paced, at least compared to The Six Thatchers. Jones makes superb villain. Tremendous villainess: the actress deserves kudos for, um, her "acting range". Those who have seen the episode know exactly what I mean. Didn't see through her myself. Fantastic Sherlock window-sunlight deduction. Stunning children's hospital/morgue sequence. Climax ends a bit limp. Great hide-in-plain-site villain's plan. Car-boot homage to Quantum of Solace.

The Final Problem - weak and increasingly turgid. Often ridiculous. Good start but goes downhill with Sherrinford visit. Too much "Shutter Island". Art Malik's office is a fantastic Bondish set. Too many nods to SkyFall and, unfortunately, the dumber ideas in Spectre. The "Molly" sequence was one of the few tense moments. Redbeard reveal is groan inducing. Truly moronic "repressed memory" psycho-babble. Ludicrous villainess who can get into anyone's head. None of it credible and all too melodramatic. Post-climax final minutes mostly good.

UPDATE: The Final Problem played better on 2nd viewing. Much snappier and a good enough episode, but still something of a let-down and ultimately ridiculous.

General comments - Too much rot plotting in Sherlock like John Gardner's Bond novels. Motive and logic frequently go out the window.

Edited by glidrose, 22 January 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#1170 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

Overall, I enjoyed series 4 but I don't think it will stand up to re-watching as well as 1 and 2 certainly have. "The Lying Detective" was my favourite episode this time around, and was likely the best episode out of both series 3 and 4, though I have a huge fondness for the Victorian stuff in "The Abominable Bride."

I found the climax of episode 3 a bit under-whelming and, as many have said, too lost in itself. The final couple of minutes were exciting. I hope to see more down the road, but the passage of a few years will definitely serve it well, I think.

Did anybody catch what the red letters spelled out in the end credits?