1182 replies to this topic

#1051 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

Liking the 2nd series but what is it about this show laying eggs for their 2nd episodes. I mean how can you make "Hounds" dull!?

Edited by Arbogast777, 18 May 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#1052 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

I think that pilot is part of the first season DVD box, quite fun. But overall I prefer the aired version.

#1053 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

Another of the seemingly unlimited number of Sherlock Holmes pastiches/clones/re-boots/twists/whatevers: Professor Bell by French comic artist (and film director!) Joann Sfar (written and drawn volumes 1 & 2; volumes 3 onwards written by Sfar and drawn by Tanquerelle).

Professor Bell is loosely based on Joseph Bell, Conan Doyle's inspiration for Holmes and occasionally Queen Victoria's personal surgeon when she visited Scotland. The real Bell was a lecturer at the University of Edinburgh and apparently involved in numerous police investigations. His counterpart here is a mixture of mystery and occult adventure, with surreal elements and an added measure of dark humour. Bell's Watson-counterpart is a ghost. Fittingly depicted as an expressionist sheet draping the (unseen) ectoplasm.

Unfortunately up to now the books aren't available in English as yet. But at Pastis.Org you can take a look a some characteristic pages.

#1054 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Trailer of Holmes & Watson, Madrid Days directed by Academy Award winner José Luis Garci:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-H2u8RmCx0&feature=youtu.be

#1055 Catching Bullets

Catching Bullets

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Sherlock star Mark Gatiss writes foreword for Catching Bullets: Memoirs of a Bond Fan

The worlds of Bond and Sherlock are about to meet!

Writer and actor Mark Gatiss, star of the BBC drama Sherlock, has penned the foreword to Splendid Books’ forthcoming title Catching Bullets: Memoirs of a Bond Fan.

“We are absolutely delighted that Mark Gatiss, who is a huge Bond fan, has written a superbly witty and incisive foreword,” says Shoba Vazirani, Editorial Director at Splendid Books.

“Author Mark O’Connell has penned a very funny, interesting and poignant book in Catching Bullets: Memoirs of a Bond Fan and Mark Gatiss’ foreword complements it perfectly.”

In addition former Bond girl Maud Adams, who starred with Roger Moore in the 007 film Octopussy has contributed an afterword to the book. “To have Mark Gatiss and Maud Adams flanking the shoulders of Catching Bullets: Memoirs of a Bond Fan is a true honour,” says Mark O’Connell.

Published by Splendid Books, Catching Bullets: Memoirs of a Bond Fan is from the offbeat vantage point of a gay teenager whose grandfather was chauffeur to legendary 007 producer Cubby Broccoli. It is a love-letter to James Bond, Duran Duran title songs and bolting down your tea quick enough to watch Roger Moore falling out of a plane without a parachute.

Mark Gatiss is one of the co-creators and stars of award-winning Sherlock, a regular contributor on Doctor Who, starred in and co-wrote The League of Gentlemen and is the cape-twirling force behind BBC Four’s A History of Horror and its imminent bloody sequel. Maud Adams starred in cult favourites Rollerball and Tattoo, Arthur Miller’s Playing For Time, as well as 1974’s The Man with the Golden Gun and the title role in 1983’s Octopussy.

Catching Bullets: Memoirs of a Bond Fan will be published on September 3rd 2012 priced £7.99. Copies can be pre-ordered at the pre-publication price of £6.99 here.

#1056 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

To be fair, the worlds of Bond and Sherlock met last Saturday when Gatiss appeared in the adaptation of From Russia With Love!

#1057 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

Posted Image

Will be released in Spain in Sept 12...

#1058 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

Finally got to watch the BBC series over the last week. Absolutely staggering. Real shame we have to wait until 2013 to see the next series. Still, really, really excellent stuff, and some good theories about the ending. I recall a bit during the finale that referenced a rhododendron, which was used in the RDJ film to stop Blackwood's pulse. I wonder if the same trick was used here. Cannot recommend this show enough for those out there who still haven't watched it.

#1059 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

Finally got to watch the BBC series over the last week. Absolutely staggering. Real shame we have to wait until 2013 to see the next series. Still, really, really excellent stuff, and some good theories about the ending. I recall a bit during the finale that referenced a rhododendron, which was used in the RDJ film to stop Blackwood's pulse. I wonder if the same trick was used here. Cannot recommend this show enough for those out there who still haven't watched it.

Great to hear you yanks like it too! What do you like about it most?

#1060 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

They don't like it enough to give it an Emmy ;)

#1061 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

Great to hear you yanks like it too! What do you like about it most?

The use of London was tremendous, but what really made it stand out for me was just how frightening Moriarty was. The entirety of the Reichenbach Fall was some of the best TV I have ever seen. The show also has a pretty decent sense of humor. I also liked how effectively violence was used. The bombings, shootings, kidnappings, all of it felt heavy and motivated. A very cool, contemporary, and clever show.

#1062 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

Glad you liked Moriarty; I felt he was by far the biggest mistake of the run. But I'm genuinely glad that others appreciated him.

#1063 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:09 AM

The Rat. The Wedding. The bow.

These are the three clues we have been given by producer Moffat as to the themes of the series three episodes.

Speculate....

Anybody intend to watch Elementary this week? I'm anxious to see it but I admit my hopes aren't too high...

The Rat. The Wedding. The bow.

These are the three clues we have been given by producer Moffat as to the themes of the series three episodes.

Speculate....

Anybody intend to watch Elementary this week? I'm anxious to see it but I admit my hopes aren't too high...

#1064 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

The use of London was tremendous, but what really made it stand out for me was just how frightening Moriarty was.

Moriarty, whilst being a good villain, just played it like a psychopath to me. I didn't really like that, but everything else about the programme is amazing. I think everyone is dying to find out what actually happened on the roof and after the fall. So many theories!

#1065 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

Okay Mr. Moffat you can relax now, you still have the superior Sherlock Holmes. For Elementary is just a little too cute for its own good, but I must admit there is something there and I am willing to give it another look.

#1066 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Okay Mr. Moffat you can relax now, you still have the superior Sherlock Holmes. For Elementary is just a little too cute for its own good, but I must admit there is something there and I am willing to give it another look.

I would tend to agree with you. I liked it enough to keep watching and to see where the show will go (I'm very curious how many of the original elements and stories will be worked into this series), but the BBC series is far greater in all aspects. SHERLOCK is in every sense Sherlock Holmes, whereas ELEMENTARY, really, could have named the characters in their series anything other than Holmes and Watson. Had that been the case its unlikely anybody would have made much of a connection to Doyle's characters any more than you could with a dozen other crime and mystery series, like HOUSE or PERCEPTION.

#1067 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

I would tend to agree with you. I liked it enough to keep watching and to see where the show will go (I'm very curious how many of the original elements and stories will be worked into this series), but the BBC series is far greater in all aspects. SHERLOCK is in every sense Sherlock Holmes, whereas ELEMENTARY, really, could have named the characters in their series anything other than Holmes and Watson. Had that been the case its unlikely anybody would have made much of a connection to Doyle's characters any more than you could with a dozen other crime and mystery series, like HOUSE or PERCEPTION.

This is actually the first time I've seen HOUSE called a mystery. I knew it was supposed to be a modern Sherlock Holmes at an early stage - and House's address still attests to that, 221B - but this is the first time I look at the show and see it as a mystery, despite its soap varnish. Very true.

Edited by Dustin, 28 September 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#1068 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

I am not a fan of any Sherlock Holmes productions set in the present.

The Basil Rathbone movies set during World War II disappointed me, which is why I tend to stick with those he did in 1939.

I can recall a TV movie in which Sherlock Holmes found himself in 1980s New York with Michael Pennington and Margaret Colin is a struggle to watch.

"SHERLOCK" with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman bored me so much that I kept falling asleep every time I tried to watch an episode. Frankly, I think it's vastly overrated.

After one episode of "ELEMENTARY", I could see that I would not become a fan of this show. Like the Cumberbatch series, it bored me.

#1069 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

I just watched the first episode of this and I really like it so far. Though I don't have netflix so I don't know how I will watch the rest, but I really like this adaptation.

#1070 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

I just watched the first episode of this and I really like it so far. Though I don't have netflix so I don't know how I will watch the rest, but I really like this adaptation.

Are you talking about ELEMENTARY or SHERLOCK? I'm guessing the former. I believe you can get the episodes on iTunes, for a couple of bucks each, if that's an option for you.

#1071 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

Not elementary. Isn't elementary the one where there is a female as Watson? I am talking about the one with Benedict Cumberbatch.

#1072 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Not elementary. Isn't elementary the one where there is a female as Watson? I am talking about the one with Benedict Cumberbatch.

Quite right.

The one you're interested in, BBC's SHERLOCK, is certainly the superior of the two. You can buy both series one and two through Amazon - that's how I acquired the show, even without having first seen an episode. I did not regret it, the show is wonderful. I believe you can get the episodes through iTunes for this series as well. I'm not certain how long you might have to wait for them to turn up on PBS or BBC America again.

#1073 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

ah yeah I would probably have to buy the series. I might buy it through Barnes and Noble if they have it.

#1074 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

I won't be watching "Elementary". Maybe it's good, maybe it isn't, but I don't need to have a bad taste in my mouth when the new series of "Sherlock" eventually debuts.

Cumberbatch is just terrific as Holmes.

Edited by Gothamite, 04 November 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#1075 Kelly Smith

Kelly Smith

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

"Elementary" is okay; nothing on "Sherlock" of course. IMO, Jeremy Brett will forever be Sherlock Holmes.

And now for something, well....you know:

#1076 Kelly Smith

Kelly Smith

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

Anyone ever read "The Sound of the Basketballs"? I swear I recall that title, and Google searches brings it up in connection with the Schlock Homes stories by Robert L. Fish, but I can find no listing of all the Homes stories.

#1077 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

What is that? A parody of Hound of The Baskervilles?

#1078 Kelly Smith

Kelly Smith

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

What is that? A parody of Hound of The Baskervilles?

Yes, IIRC. It was very funny, and I believe it's one of the Schlock Homes stories, but I cannot find a list of all the titles.

Homes is back!
Schlock Homes, once again, is alive and well and living at 221-B Bagel Street, London. With the faithful Dr Watney, he continues to astound the world with his amazing feats of observation and deduction, solving the 'unsolvable' in crime. Back, too, are Inspector Balustrade, evil Professor Marty, and the Bagel Street Regulars. And all join in some of the wildest escapades this side of parodies.
'Fast, warm and witty...A must for Holmes fans' -
Publishers Weekly

The above is a back cover blurb from "Memoirs of Schlock Homes" By Robert L. Fish.

Edited by Kelly Smith, 07 November 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#1079 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Haha interesting lol

#1080 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but I've been reading Leah Moore (Alan Moore's daughter) and John Reppion's recent comic book takes on Holmes and Watson, The Trial of Sherlock Holmes and the current Sherlock Holmes: The Liverpool Demon. Almost all the comic book takes on Holmes I've read over the years, with the exception of some direct adaptions of the canon, have been uniformly dreadful, but these are exceptions. They do not play up the fantastical or mystical aspects one usually associates with the medium, instead Moore and Reppion aim for a more realistic and faithful literary pastiche. They have done their research on ACD's London and have an excellent ear for dialog.

I'm not one for commercials, but if you are a regular in this thread, I would highly recommend.