This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What type of timepiece should the next Bond wear?

211 replies to this topic

#151 f1realtor

f1realtor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:04 PM

When I think about Audemars Piguet I immediately think about the governator.

#152 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:23 AM

Yeah, and the funny thing is that in "End OF Days", he played a washep-up cop...who happened to wear a $25,000 AP Royal Oak Offshore chronograph.
And in "Terminator 3" , do you remember the scene near the beginning where he steals a pick-up truck and finds an AP in the glove-box? That particular watch retailed for about $36,000 AUD. Ouch.
My problem with AP for James Bond is that he already drives a $400,000 Aston Martin and wears $6,000 Brioni suits. That kind of gear is pretty much out of your average cinema-goer's price-range.
At least an Omega Seamaster or even a second-hand Rolex Sub is something that most Bond fans can at least consider buying without really breaking the bank.
Besides, an Audemars Piguet would push Bond's snobbery quotient through the roof!

Vodka Martino

#153 f1realtor

f1realtor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:18 AM

I got rid of my 14060M recently and I really need to get something to replace it. I'm considering the marine master but I know I'll have to get a strap for it as I have heard that the bracelet doesn't fit those with small wrists.

#154 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

Ah, yes, the curse of the small wrist. My wrist is six-and-a-half inches, but I try not to let it upset me. Hence, I have the Bond Seamaster (natch) which measures just under 40mm. It takes up most of the space on my wrist, but it doesn't bother me. Attitude is everything. I could probably get away with 44mm at the most. And the only watch that size that really does it for me is the Panerai Luminor Marina, the hand-wound model without the date. Most people would say it would look ridiculous on me, but hell, they won't be the ones who pay for it.
As for the MarineMaster, f1, if it feels right, then do it. Put a black nylon NATO strap on it and you're ready to save the world.

Vodka Martino

Edited by Vodka Martino, 20 June 2005 - 10:35 AM.

#155 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:44 AM

Ah, yes, the curse of the small wrist. My wrist is six-and-a-half inches, but I try not to let it upset me. Hence, I have the Bond Seamaster (natch) which measures just under 40mm. It takes up most of the space on my wrist, but it doesn't bother me. Attitude is everything. I could probably get away with 44mm at the most. And the only watch that size that really does it for me is the Panerai Luminor Marina, the hand-wound model without the date. Most people would say it would look ridiculous on me, but hell, they won't be the ones who pay for it.
As for the MarineMaster, f1, if it feels right, then do it. Put a black nylon NATO strap on it and you're ready to save the world.

Vodka Martino

View Post

Hi VM,

I also have a rather thin wrist. Is it a case of the bigger the watch face or the chunkier the watch the less it will suit me?

On the weekend i had a look at some Omegas including the Planet Ocean, nice but very large watch face. One of the Speemasters looked appealing an older model although it was without the date function, which i would prefer. I was quoted around A$1,800.

Byron

#156 f1realtor

f1realtor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:47 AM

My wrist is only 6.25" and dress watches would suit my girly man wrist best, but I am rather clumsy and I typically go for diver watches. I like the look of chronographs, but I would never use the timing functions so I feel that I rather not pay for something that I don't use. The Omega Bond Seamasters look great except that I like black face watches and the black face seamasters don't have the skeleton hands and the face is uglier to me than the Bond ones. I don't think I can live with a blue watch or for that matter the Rolex Kermit. The Planet Ocean might be an option, but as of now I am liking the Seiko Marine Master for it's looks and because no one will ask the question that most rolex owners get. ("is that real?")

The Panerai is beautiful and I also like Ulysse Nardin watches, but I don't think they would look good on me. Another favorite of mine is the JLC AMVOX1, but I'd need the Aston Martin to go with it.

Edited by f1realtor, 21 June 2005 - 05:22 PM.

#157 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:18 AM

Hi VM,

I also have a rather thin wrist. Is it a case of the bigger the watch face or the chunkier the watch the less it will suit me?

On the weekend i had a look at some Omegas including the Planet Ocean, nice but very large watch face. One of the Speemasters looked appealing an older model although it was without the date function, which i would prefer. I was quoted around A$1,800.

Byron

View Post

It's a matter of personal taste, really. I have seen many a customer come in to the store where I work (I sell wristwatches) and try on the mid-sized Bond Seamaster. Looks great on your wrist if you're fourteen, looks like a kid's watch if you're 40. For a smallish wrist, you could get away with a watch that's 40mm in diameter. You could even push it up to 42mm if you're feeling brave. And don't worry about what other people think. After all, it's YOUR money that paid for the watch. You just have to go into a store and try a few watches on. If it looks overly large on your wrist, you'll know it. As for the non-date Speedmaster, was it the hand-wound Moonwatch? That one measures about 42mm. If that was the watch that you were quoted $1,800, then buy it. Actually, what currency are we talking here?

Vodka M

#158 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:21 PM

It's a matter of personal taste, really. I have seen many a customer come in to the store where I work (I sell wristwatches) and try on the mid-sized Bond Seamaster. Looks great on your wrist if you're fourteen, looks like a kid's watch if you're 40. For a smallish wrist, you could get away with a watch that's 40mm in diameter. You could even push it up to 42mm if you're feeling brave. And don't worry about what other people think. After all, it's YOUR money that paid for the watch. You just have to go into a store and try a few watches on. If it looks overly large on your wrist, you'll know it. As for the non-date Speedmaster, was it the hand-wound Moonwatch? That one measures about 42mm. If that was the watch that you were quoted $1,800, then buy it. Actually, what currency are we talking here?

Hi VM,

Not sure if it was the hand wound one, it was Aussies. Would you be able to explain to me the difference between hand wound (where you wind the watch) and automatic (where the watch gets wound by hand movement only)? Is one or the other considered better or more accurate?

Byron

#159 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:27 PM

After his latest watch becomes a casualty of the field, Q goes and buys oo7 a standard issue Wal Mart watch.

#160 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:41 AM

Hi VM,

Not sure if it was the hand wound one, it was Aussies. Would you be able to explain to me the difference between hand wound (where you wind the watch) and automatic (where the watch gets wound by hand movement only)? Is one or the other considered better or more accurate?

Byron

View Post

If it was $1800.00 Aussie dollars, then it may have been the Speedmaster Auto, which retails for $2500.00 Aussie dollars (approx). That's a good price, snap it up if you like it. With regards to automatic versus hand-wound watches, again it's all down to personal preference. Neither watch is better than the other in terms of accuracy, robustness, quality. I like hand-wound watches because you can sit down, wind your watch and tell the world to go to hell for thirty seconds or so while you do it. It's just a nice way to slow down in this fast-paced world. Besides, I have fond memories of my Dad who used to wind his watch before going to work. Very old-school.

Vodka Martino

#161 f1realtor

f1realtor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:07 AM

Which Panerai did PB wear in After the Sunset?

#162 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:59 AM

I haven't seen the film yet, but based on some stills that I've seen, it looks like he's wearing the Luminor Marina Automatic (Model No. PAM 00050).
But don't quote me on that.

VM

#163 quiller

quiller

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:04 PM

After his latest watch becomes a casualty of the field, Q goes and buys oo7 a standard issue Wal Mart watch.

View Post

wal mart in london? woolies dear boy. woolies!

#164 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:22 AM

Maybe I shouldn't flog a dead horse, but here's my last appeal for the Omega Planet Ocean Seamaster for the next James Bond.
Tadaa!!

VM

Attached Files

Edited by Vodka Martino, 22 July 2005 - 11:27 AM.

#165 f1realtor

f1realtor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:19 AM

Vodka, I like that watch, but I don't love it. I really love the JLC AMVOX Racing watch, but it's not a divers watch so I guess it wouldn't be up to 007 standards.

Platinum version

Posted Image

Ti version

Posted Image

#166 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:18 AM

NIce watch, f1. It would look good peaking out from under the cuff of Bond's Sea Island cotton shirt while he sits at the Chemin De Fer table. But because Bond means business, he needs something a little studier.
No limits, no fears, no substitutes...

Vodka Martino

#167 f1realtor

f1realtor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:19 AM

I'm also kinda surprised that the JLC AMVOX watches don't have the aston martin logo on the front. I've seen some other car brand logos on other watch faces.

#168 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:48 AM

I'm also kinda surprised that the JLC AMVOX watches don't have the aston martin logo on the front.  I've seen some other car brand logos on other watch faces.

View Post

The Aston Martin logo might be imprinted on the case-back of the watch. For example, Breitling have released a watch in the last couple of years to coincide with the release of the new Bentley Continental GT (I think)and it features an engraving of the car's hubcap (although I bet that Bentley don't refer to them as hubcaps) with the Bentley wings logo on the case-back. Naturally, the interior clock on the car's dashboard is made by Breitling.
Similarly, the new extremely Limited Edition Mercedes Benz CLS 55 AMG will sport a dash clock made by IWC. This clock's design will be based on the new IWC Ingenieur which is soon to be released. Only fifty-five of the AMG Mercs will be available world-wide.
I must say that J-Le C AMVOX watch is starting to grow on me...for myself, not for Bond. Alarm, internal rotating bezel, nice legible dial.
I bet it will cost a packet. Too rich for my blood. I'm just a working-class boy.

Vodka M

#169 f1realtor

f1realtor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:52 PM

The AM logo is on the caseback, but I think it would look nice to have a small logo on the front too. Then again people who have the watch might feel self-conscious about not having the matching car. I wish I could have both. =\

#170 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:52 PM

which timepiece has Bond used in the last movies, can someone tell me? :)

#171 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:48 AM

Pierce Brosnan wore the Omega Seamaster Professional Automatic (except in GE where he had on the quartz version), Timothy Dalton wore a Rolex Submariner in LTK, Roger Moore wore a....well, it's been a while since I last watched AVTAK.

Vodka Martino

#172 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:32 AM

I'm not exactly sure, but I think Roger wears a Seiko in AVTAK as he did in TSWLM, MR and OP. I can't remember a watch in TMWTGG and in FYEO.

#173 f1realtor

f1realtor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:17 AM

At this point of whos the next Bond bs, I'm more interested to know what watch he will be wearing.

#174 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:02 AM

I hear you, f1, but I think it will be a long time before we find that out.

VM

#175 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:01 PM

Remember the "Pulsar Wrist Computer" from LALD!

I don't like metal straps. I prefer leather straps...on my watches.

Mind you, I never have expensive watches, pens or umbrellas. Always lose 'em.

Bond's watch should not always have a gadget and if it does, let it be credible. A grappling hook and laser - no.

ACE

#176 wibg

wibg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 04:19 PM

Omega, Timex, Mickey Mouse....As long as the watch looks good and helps to save his life.

#177 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:51 PM

Philistine. :)

VM

#178 f1realtor

f1realtor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:58 PM

Vodka, any new dive watches out on the market to consider?

#179 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 04:45 AM

f1, I am still enjoying wearing the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. It's expensive (although not quite as pricey as the Rolex Submariner) but it's a comparable watch in every way. Having said that, if you don't want to spend megabucks, then consider some of TAG Heuer's new models in their AquaRacer range. They make a nice and sturdy watch for reasonable money. The only major thing to consider is whether you buy an automatic or a quartz watch. Automatics are more expensive to buy and service and they are less accurate than quartz (ie. battery-operated) watches. However, the upside is that hey will last a helluva lot longer than quartz watches. I get a lot of watch collectors coming into the store where I work and they don't mind buying a new watch every six to twelve months. They are forever buying and selling. But for me, there's a certain romance and 'old school-ness' to purchasing a watch when you're in your twenties or thirties and keeping it till the day you meet your maker. An automatic watch, properly maintained, should easily last you fifty years at least.
Other than that, f1, there are no new major dive watches on the horizon. Some brands to consider are Breitling (a tad pricey), Doxa (Dirk Pitt's choice), Sinn (German engineering at its best, I don't know how they lost the war!), Seiko (constant new models out, Japan's finest) and, as always, Rolex (but try to buy one second-hand, even a 3 or 4 year old model will save you some dollars).
And that's my 2c. My views may upset some people, but they are just that...my views.
Take care, f1. Now let's all go back to waiting for the announcement of the next James Bond.

Vodka Martino

#180 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:01 AM

I wouldn't mind if they kept on using the same watch that Pierce Brosnan used during his Bond films. With that said, though, it doesn't really make that much of a difference to me what kind of watch the new Bond is wearing.