This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What type of timepiece should the next Bond wear?

211 replies to this topic

#1 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:26 PM

This is admittedly a ridiculous topic, but watches are my thing, especially Bond's watches. So here's a question I'm curious about: Since there's going to be a new Bond, should EON stick him with the same Omega Seamaster Professional Pierce Brosnan used in his films, or should they give him something new? If so, what brand? Shall he go with something real fancy, like Matt Damon's Tag Heuer Link Quartz Chronograph 1/10th in the Jason Bourne series, or should he go back to Fleming's "Rolex Oyster Chronometer," or even Connery's Rolex Submariner?

What do you think? My hopes are for something new - even if it is just an updated Omega Seamaster (Omega does indeed have one, with an overall redesign which alters the look).

Sorry if this one's been done to death already. I'm new. :)

#2 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:30 PM

I'd give him a Rolex, what can I say, I'm a traditionalist.

That Tag Heuer from Bourne Identity is really nice too, but Bond is no Jason Bourne poser...

#3 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:31 PM

Obviously, he should wear one of those plastic Spongebob Squarepants watches.

#4 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:03 PM

Can't he wear a vintage watch, for a change? Preferably something a touch slimmer and classier, rather than those horrible chunky Omegas and Rolexes? I know a new watch is necessary for all the advertising tie-ins, but ignoring that for a moment, Fleming's Bond would not be changing watches every three seconds. A decent Swiss watch will keep perfect time for a century (provided it's not damaged by megalomaniacal villains' infernal torture devices). I'd like to see Bond wear something more like this:

Posted Image

Edited by spynovelfan, 15 December 2004 - 11:04 PM.

#5 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:07 PM

Omega or Rolex.

#6 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:08 PM

I'd rather see in something other than an ugly, over macho diving watch also (the only people I've known to wear those are far from cool). I'd rather see him something a bit more modern and elegant, in much the same way that I'd prefer to see him in up to date tailoring (Oswald Boateng perhaps? Or maybe Paul Smith?)rather than all the stuffy old brands they constantly put him in. Instead of telling us how stylish Bond is, let's actually have him be stylish. After all, dressing like Prince Charles isn't exactly going to get you noticed as elegant in London society..

#7 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:42 PM

Which watch?

The one that does the job - whatever that might be.

On a less facetious note, may I suggest a Patek Philippe? Or are they considered too "bling" or "Eurotrash"? :)

And never mind whether Bond's watch can stand a water depth of 100 metres - does it pass the test as a makeshift knuckle-duster? :)

#8 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:03 AM

I'd rather see in something other than an ugly, over macho diving watch also (the only people I've known to wear those are far from cool).

View Post

Hey, I don't think I appreciate that comment - even though it is completely true. I am not cool, but I don't think pointing that out in such a derogatory manner is cool either. Just because I wear such a large watch (Seiko Diver) to compensate for an inferiority complex doesn't mean I want complete strangers to point that out to me. :)

I see the point about Bond actually being sophisticated and wearing a sophisticated timepiece. But realistically, since movies are a visual medium, and the product placement dollars are so tempting, I can't see the movie Bond with anything but some honking piece of steel right up in your face. I mean, jeez, Brosnan wears his Omega even while sleeping with his Bond girls!

#9 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:22 AM

this one fits :)

Posted Image

#10 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:41 AM

this one fits  :)

Posted Image

View Post

Oooh, solid choice. I love this piece - wish I could afford it. NASA astronauts of the 60's and 70's swore by them. Unfortunately, its water-resistance is only rated for 30m, not even good for a hot tub soaking, let alone the torpedo tube shenanigans Brosnan endured in TWINE. And since Bond is a Royal Navy man, they'd probably stick with the Seamaster instead of the Speedmaster.

Very cool piece, though.

#11 Adrian Carlisle

Adrian Carlisle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:33 AM

I think they have the right match currently with the SMP. However, where else can he go besides Rolex or Omega? A Zenith Chrono perhaps? It's Swiss and it's right on the luxury level of Omega and Rolex.

Or what about those Royal Navy divers? I dunno who produces them, but I think I recall that it is an upscale Swiss company.

OR...they could just stick with the Seamaster but give him the white-dial GMT version. Brosnan does wear that one in real life from time to time; Omega's advertising is right about that.

The Tissot Seastar, while a great piece, doesn't really say "Bond!" to me. Um...[trying to think]...what about a Seiko. Moore had some digital models in the 70's, and Seiko makes plenty of attractive divers and chronos.

Edited by Adrian Carlisle, 16 December 2004 - 01:39 AM.

#12 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:11 AM

Go with tradition: Rolex Submariner (the fact that Zencat and I each own one has nothing...well...very little...to do with it)

Gunmetal cigarette case

Ronson Lighter

Walther PPK

Aston Martin

Dom (not Bollinger)

Back to some of the good English suits (Brioni's nice for formal, but lets get the Saville Row tweeds and wool back).

He's Bond...Some traditions must remain intact.

:)

#13 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:14 AM

Go with tradition: Rolex Submariner (the fact that Zencat and I own one has nothing...well...very little...to do with it) 

Gunmetal cigarette case

Ronson Lighter

Walther PPK

Aston Martin

Dom (not Bollinger)

Back to some of the good English suits (Brioni's nice for formal, but lets get the Saville Row tweeds and wool back).

He's Bond...Some traditions must remain intact.

:)

View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself.

#14 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:55 AM

I am loving these responses!

I would be happy if Bond went Seiko, preferably to one of the higher end automatic divers. These are usually Japan-only models, but can surpass many of the swiss examples in quality. Alas, after going Omega, I think EON would see Seiko as a step down in sophistication. I myself love Seiko - I own two customized 200m auto divers.

My choice would also be to give the new Bond a Rolex Submariner. I would assume they would put it on a standard bracelet, instead of the original fabric (with regimental colors) band that Connery wore in GF and TB. This would make it more in line with Brosnan's Omega setup. That nod to tradition would make a lot of us fans happy.

Otherwise, I'd go with the updated Seamaster, with black dial. Incidentally, the new model has a retro design, loosely modeled after Seamasters that were originally designed to British MOD standards and were eventually issued to the Royal Navy. I believe this was sometime in the 50's or 60's. I might be wrong - I'm writing this from foggy memory. But it would be cool for the new Bond to have a Seamaster styled after Omegas issued when the original Bond novels came out.

#15 Adrian Carlisle

Adrian Carlisle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:02 AM

Sidspappy, I've heard a lot about Seiko's Divers. When I do eventually get another watch, I believe it will be a Seiko chrono, but what can you tell me about their divers? Are their bracelets solid, crystals curved...what're their movements, etc.?

#16 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:44 AM

Sid, this is very interesting. I work for a watch retailer here in Australia, so I get a chance to see a lot of the watches mentioned in this thread. So here's my take on all of this.
I agree with your last comment about the black-dialled Seamaster. This model is based on one from around 1964, but it owes its look more to the Seamaster 300 which was produced from 1967 till about 1972. The current incarnation is fantastic. Supremely legible dial and robust as all hell. I myself own a Seamaster like the one Brosnan wore in the films and it's been a great watch. Virtually bullet-proof. But I much prefer the layout of the black-dialled model. But as a Bond fan, what was I to do?
Regarding the Omega Speedmaster moonwatch and the Jaeger-Le Coultre Master Geographic, these are both excellent watches. The Omega is a classic and the J-L C is destined to become one. As far as being a suitable watch for 007, well the 30 metre water-resistance of these two watches renders them unsuitable for an agent in the field (ooh, I've gone all Major Boothroyd all of a sudden!).
Seiko Divers-Fantastic watch for the money, but if Bond is to have the best, and if Swiss watches are regarded as the best, well...
Although I have a Seiko dive watch (I'm wearing it as I write) and it does have that Rolex Submariner look about it.
Which bring us to the venerable Rolex Submariner. Virtually unchanged in fifty years (first released in 1954), it remains the yardstick by which all other dive watches are judged, probably because it was the first, although the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms came out around the same time. I like the Sub, but I prefer the SeaDweller. However, in terms of value for money, the Seamaster is a better bet. The Rolex has an in-house movement whereas Omega out-sources theirs from a company called ETA who supplies so many other brands that it's not funny. Omega strip the movement, add a few bits and pieces of their own, adjust the time-keeping and then put it all back together again. All for a third of the cost of the Rolex Sub. Don't get me wrong, gang. I love the Rolex, but I think it's a little too pricey for what it is.
And if, as Bond fans, we sometimes aspire to drive fast cars, take care of the bad guys, get the girl and save the world, can we at least covet a wristwatch that we might be able to afford?
I do go on, don't I?

Vodka Martino

#17 Adrian Carlisle

Adrian Carlisle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:16 AM

Can we see a picture of this new black dial Seamaster? I browse watch forums daily and I don't believe I've seen this yet; or maybe I have and was oblivious to its significance, because I can't recall it.

Edit: Is this what we're talking about? It's a new co-axial SMP, but the dial looks blue to me. It's garnering some discussion over at the RLT Watches forums.

Posted Image

Edited by Adrian Carlisle, 16 December 2004 - 11:20 AM.

#18 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:16 AM

Nice details there Vodka.

For me, Bond HAS to wear a Rolex Submariner, I reckon. :)

This link has been posted in these forums before, but it's worth posting again due to the subject matter of this thread:
Watch This Movie - James Bond

#19 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 05:14 PM

I like the Sub, but I prefer the SeaDweller. However, in terms of value for money, the Seamaster is a better bet.
Vodka Martino

View Post

Jeez,its like listening to my husband! He is a big watch fan and we were having this very conversation a couple of days ago.He had both the Omega and the Sub and was deciding which one to get rid off.Whilst his sensible head told him to keep the Omega,his heart won and he kept the Sub.All these other makes are cool but there is just something about Rolex that wins every time.

I agree about the JLC.That is a stunning make and most of them would look great on Bond,but they are not as praticical as the Rolex and Omegas.IWC is also another classy make that would suit Bond.

Dont much like the Seiko divers...we briefly tried the Monster but it didn't last long!

As for Bond,I think he should have a Rolex Seadweller.Very much like a Sub but a little different.I think it looks much nicer without the cyclops and the drilled luggs.

#20 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:07 PM

And if, as Bond fans, we sometimes aspire to drive fast cars, take care of the bad guys, get the girl and save the world, can we at least covet a wristwatch that we might be able to afford?

Great comment, Vodka. I agree with you totally. Loved your wonderful input!

Adrian, this is the new Seamaster we're talking about:
Attached File  seamaster.jpg   26.18KB   168 downloads

Sidspappy, I've heard a lot about Seiko's Divers. When I do eventually get another watch, I believe it will be a Seiko chrono, but what can you tell me about their divers? Are their bracelets solid, crystals curved...what're their movements, etc.?

Well, I believe Seiko Divers are one of the best values for your money anywhere. There are so many variations of the 200m automatic diver model that you can take your pick. Some models, like the SKX-781 and SKX-779 (dubbed the "Monster," like Lady Rose previously said) have incredibly solid bracelets, these models also come with curved mineral crystals. Most of the commonly available Divers use the Seiko 7S26 movement, completely in-house, 21-jewels @ 21,600 bph. The 7S26 is widely regarded as bulletproof, lasting many years without even any maintenence. Accuracy varies widely, but usually below Swiss watch standards (at a fraction of the price).

This is assuming you want to go automatic, like all the high-end Swiss stuff. Seiko quartz models are just as rugged and even more accurate, due to the movement type. I just happen to prefer automatic movements, and my limited budget precludes high-end purchases (although I owned an Omega Dynamic for a few years).

Edited by sidspappy, 16 December 2004 - 07:14 PM.

#21 Goldeneye23

Goldeneye23

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:34 PM

I've always liked the Black Rolex diver.

#22 rdh007

rdh007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:12 AM

I really like the idea of a more old-fashioned look to it.

#23 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:30 PM

This thread may just get out of hand before we're through! Lady Rose, sorry if I sound like your husband. Perhaps my wife and I could get together with you two and your husband and I could drool over watches while you and my wife shake your heads sadly and wonder where all the real men have gone. LOL!
I constantly debate whether I should get myself a SeaDweller or not someday. No self-respecting watch collector should be without a Rolex in their collection. Personally, I would go for a pre-1983 model Sub or SeaDweller. Around that time, Rolex decided to put a thin white gold ring around the markers on the dial, thus ruining the look, IMHO. And I always did prefer the domed plexiglass as opposed to the cold look of the sapphire crystal. It would be great if Rolex could take a leaf out of Omega's book and use a domed sapphire crystal. Also, I was never a real fan of the cyclops lens over the date, hence my preference for the Dweller. Like you said, Lady Rose, there is something about the Rolex that wins every time. It has a history, virtually unchanged in fifty years. That is both its blessing and its curse.
As for IWC, I have seen too many of them come back for warranty work. And when they go out to be repaired, they are gone a very long time. One customer waited five months to get his watch back. Best steer clear of them if you're trying to save the world. Breitling are similar. Great watches, but too long to get repaired (one guy waited nine months!) and too expensive to do so. Which is fine if you have more than one watch. But most customers have spent a long time saving for these watches and I hate it when they have to part with them for such extended periods of time.
Personally, if the next Bond film is like the last one, he should stick to Omega Seamasters, but swap his blue dial for the black one. However, if EON decide to return to their roots a la "From Russia With Love" , then bring on the Rolex SeaDweller. Similar to what we all know...yet different enough to warrant a second glance.
And Sidspappy, thank you for your kind words. I could talk Bond for hours, I could talk watches for hours. Put the two together and well...no one here gets out alive!

Cheers

Vodka Martino (JacksandEvesPappy)

#24 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:25 PM

What watch? I don't know much about watches but I'm sure Eon couldn't give a toss which watch Bond wears, ie. style wise. It's all about whoever offers them the most money for their watch to be seen in/associated with the film.
I'm sure the conversation regarding the choice of watch in Bond 21, would go something like this:

Babs: "Michael, Rolex have offered

#25 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:47 PM

Interesting reading. Regarding my earlier post about Patek Philippe (looks up), what do the watch fans and experts here think of the company's products? Their Nautilus and Aquanaut ranges are good for 130m; would Bond conceivably wear one?

#26 Agent Provocateur

Agent Provocateur

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 03:49 PM

Excuse my ignorance here, since I prefer to wear Seiko and Citizen when it comes to watches, but I have a question for the timepiece afficiandos here. Is Breitling a durable watch that Bond would wear? Assuming we're taking into account that Bond's watch should not only do the job when pressed to extreme circumstances but it should look good as well.

Just wondering.

#27 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 06:40 PM

This thread may just get out of hand before we're through! Lady Rose, sorry if I sound like your husband. Perhaps my wife and I could get together with you two and your husband and I could drool over watches while you and my wife shake your heads sadly and wonder where all the real men have gone. LOL!

That is my life and why I drink wine...it numbs the pain.If your wife is a fellow watch widow,she has my sympathies! :)

I also think another good Rolex for Bond would be a Yachtmaster.

As for Patek Phillipe and Breitlings,I will leave the finer workings and durability comments to the afficiandos,who know all the technical blurb.

But,for a real girly point of view...I will tell you how pretty I think they are. :)

The Patek Philippe are a beautiful watch but again I have no idea how practical they are for a spy.Given the right model,they would look good on Bond.As for bling,I actually think Rolex are more bling then PP.

As for Breitling,I find them quite ugly and unattractive.Some of the models are quite garish with the yellow emergency thing quite hideous.I dont think Bond would look good in Breitling.The irony being,Breitling, with their little gadgets and gismo's are probably more Bond than the others.Perhaps some of their models would work.

Edited by Lady Rose, 17 December 2004 - 07:27 PM.

#28 sidspappy

sidspappy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:34 PM

Thanks to all for making my first thread I've done so enjoyable!

Hitch, I don't have as much hands-on experience as some of the others here, but I do think that Patek Phillipe would be something that Bond would wear, but like you said, probably one of the more rugged and diving-type models. I suppose if PP decided to offer enough endorsement money, you might see it on a new Bond's wrist, but I'd wager Bond is not the kind of "celebrity" endorsement they're actually looking for...

As for Agent Provocateur's question, Breitling is a popular brand (supposedly favored by Harrison Ford), but I don't think Bond is the type of endorsement they are looking for either. Breitling, in my mind, seems to court mainly the aviation market, gearing their lines toward the "Top Gun" sensibilities, as opposed the nautical theme that the Seamasters and Submariners cater to.

Who knows, though. Maybe back before GE, these companies did make endorsement proposals, only to have Omega win, we don't know.

I do think that aside from the Moore/Seiko years, EON probably understands that Bond's timepiece needs to say something about HIM, as a "person," and his preferences, gained through a lifetime of experience. In this light, with Commander Bond's experience in the Royal Navy, 007's choice of a diving model (Seamaster, Submariner) makes perfect sense. So if the new Bond DOES get a new piece, I predict it will definitely be a diving model from whatever company ends up getting the endorsement.

And no, I'm pretty certain EON won't go with Casio, no matter how much money they throw at them! Bond's image as a high-life type would be diminished if that ever came to pass.

#29 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:40 PM

I think Lindy Hemming was right in switching from Rolex to Omega. Rolex has become far more popular then it was in the Fleming's and early Connery films. It is now seen as the definition of the 'snob watch' (I don't want to offend anyone! I still want a green Rolex Submariner myself :)) Upper class businessmen wear them while driving in their Ferrari

#30 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 01:13 AM

It's not a ridiculous topic. I've always been annoyed that they Brosnan era rejected tradition and went for the cheaper Omega when 4 007s wore a Rolex submariner. That's james Bond's watch and unless MI6 suffered a budget cut that's the one he should always wear.It's elegant,durable,masculine and classic.There is no substitute. :)