This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

IFP Announce "Young James Bond" series

164 replies to this topic

Poll: Young James Bond

Young James Bond

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:41 PM

I mean, part of his appeal is that this is a man who gets all the girls, kills the villians, saves the world, and is witty.

Yes but that's the cinematic James Bond. The literary James Bond isn't so black and white as the text and page he's written on. The novels are more low-key than the majority of the films. Also, I think that out of all the novels, Bond only manages to kill the same amount of people he killed in the course of Die Another Day and Tomorrow Never Dies combined.

Fleming's wit was scarce, however when it did appear it was always rather good, whilst in the films Bond has a pun or a retort for every occasion.

"Oh! He fell over the bars and into a thing that squished him! I guess he's...barred! Ha ha ha! Barred! Cos...he fell over bars to his death! Ha ha ha! Oh I kill myself." :)

Would the re-animated Fleming please stand up?

Edited by Brix Bond, 05 April 2004 - 05:42 PM.

#32 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:42 PM

When I first saw this thread I was worried. The fan fic I am writing has James Bond as a naval officer in his pre-Secret Service days.

#33 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:48 PM

When I first saw this thread I was worried. The fan fic I am writing has James Bond as a naval officer in his pre-Secret Service days.

See that

#34 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:01 PM

I agree, Evan. If they started it around the time he entered the Navy it would be great. I would sincerely be fascinated by that.

#35 The Silver Beast

The Silver Beast

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:19 PM

I wonder what car Bond will drive in the new books?

Oh, wait. He's only 13. He can't drive.

Or smoke.

Or drink.

Or travel without a parent or guardian.

Or...you know. :)

I check back when he turns 18. :)

#36 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:23 PM

The idea is to all intents and purposes, a good one. Readers of Fleming's novels have only ever had rare glimpses into James Bond's childhood so would a book explaining how he grew up be of any interest? Of course it would! We'll get to read about Bond's parents dying, the incident with the maid and his naval career. These are all things that we've been craving to know.

Indeed. A "young Bond" novel (and I agree with you that one would most certainly be enough) written for an adult readership by someone like acclaimed author of literary fiction William Boyd would be terrific. But a "young Bond" novel (still less a whole slew of the bloody things) written for a *takes 10 deep breaths, pours and consumes a good stiff belter* 9-12-year-old readership by someone like acclaimed TV funnyman Charlie Higson.... wouldn't.

#37 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:27 PM

This is a big disappointment for me, and as I can see many others as well. I think Bond's earlier days could be great to read about, but judging by the "announcement" it sounds like they are swaying towards something along the lines of James Bond, Jr. instead of James Bond.

Also, Brix makes a very good point. I'm not sure I want to read about Bond's earlier days unless it is written by his "father". Only he could provide the satisfaction of reading these books, these adult books.

Will the books do well? I seriously doubt it. As pointed out before, James Bond is an adult character. He never should be aimed towards kids. It's been tried before and failed.

I will give them a try, but I do have a predisposition to hating them.

IFP, what are you thinking?

-bond111

#38 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:42 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='5 April 2004 - 12:48'] [quote name='DLibrasnow' date='5 April 2004 - 11:42'] When I first saw this thread I was worried. The fan fic I am writing has James Bond as a naval officer in his pre-Secret Service days. [/quote]
See that

#39 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:21 PM

Just wondering what someone like Fleming, Amis Sr., Amis Jr. or indeed Stewart would have come up with for a book about Bond's schooldays. Horrifyingly bloody beatings? Fags warming toilet seats? Paedophile schoolmasters? I mean, Bond's sadistic streak and twisted sexuality must have come from somewhere. Shame we'll never know precisely where.

#40 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:29 PM

Not happy about it. I wonder what we'll see with this first one, but I'm fairly angry over this. Why on earth they have chosen to abandon all the things that are common for a man to do, but not likely for a 13-year old, such as having sex, driving cars, killing etc., all the things that make Bond, the agent we know boggles the mind.

#41 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:50 PM

Also, Brix makes a very good point. I'm not sure I want to read about Bond's earlier days unless it is written by his "father". Only he could provide the satisfaction of reading these books, these adult books.

Will the books do well? I seriously doubt it. As pointed out before, James Bond is an adult character. He never should be aimed towards kids. It's been tried before and failed.

IFP, what are you thinking?

-bond111

Exactly. Adult is where it should stay!

Do well? Who knows, probably become some silly children's fad and then die in a few years.

You mean the IFP actually thinks anymore?!? Could have fooled me.

#42 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:55 PM

Hey, it could be worse for the literary James Bond.

Wait a tick....

No, it couldn't! :)

#43 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:09 PM

Correct Loomis, this is one area that they should never have even considered, I will certainly collect these novels like all the rest, but I highly doubt my level of enjoyment from them will be considerably lower.

All they've done is limit their target audience now.

People read the novels to read about that man who goes on the adventures, curses, kills, has sex, and has been doing it for years, can;t replicate all of that with a teenage Bond.

#44 J J

J J

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:18 PM

Oh my God...
That makes even poor Orlando Bloom too old to play Jimmy Bond in episode 21. Only one man, eh boy fit for the part then: Daniel Radcliffe as 007 (no stranger himself to the world of espionage as he had a part in Brosnan's Tailor of Panama.

On the other hand: bad idea Glidrose. Just like Young Indiana Jones was a non-pleaser for Indy fans (although a young Indy was introduced in Last Crusade, it should have been a one off).

Aargh! The other day someone asked 'what would make you boycot the next Bond project'... well this comes pretty darn close. :) :)

#45 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:22 PM

I hope IFP throws the manuscript out when they see it.

#46 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:24 PM

Looking forward to Bond's first fight scene....

After school, he and the bully go at it in the fight alley. Bond proceded to slam the other fellow into walls and trash cans, in a rip off of FRWL, and then he uses a trash can lid to throw, a la Oddjob, smacking him in the head. Hell, Glidrose could have hired ME to write this :).

#47 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:29 PM

Looking forward to Bond's first fight scene....

After school, he and the bully go at it in the fight alley. Bond proceded to slam the other fellow into walls and trash cans, in a rip off of FRWL, and then he uses a trash can lid to throw, a la Oddjob, smacking him in the head. Hell, Glidrose could have hired ME to write this :).

Chandlers psuedonym is Higson :)

#48 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:32 PM

Another problem, I'm not going to buy a teenage Bond battling a much older villain, and an enemy of the same age is even worse, considering he or she would be about 15 then.

Simply turning Bond younger, affects all these elements and I can;t see how they think they'll be able to pull it off well, but there might be a surprise.

#49 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:49 PM

I sit here typing this post between blinks, hoping that every time I open my eyes, I will wake up back in bed, and this has all been a very, very, bad dream.

Alas, as of right now, it is not. Someone at IFP, I suspect not a blood relative of Ian Lancaster Fleming, has decided that it is a good idea to

1) Write the young James Bond series.
2) Set it in the 1930's thereby either
a) Obliterates the works of Gardner and Benson. (A problem for some, but I readily admit not for others.)
:) Give creedence to the magic jelly theory whereas the fifty something James Bond of the 1970's is bathed in a magic jelly that makes him slightly younger and keeps him his forties forever.

YIKES!

I thought it was a windy day here in NY, no that's just sound of Ian Fleming doing bloody backflips in his grave! And well that he should, this is the end of everything he has ever worked for.

I had a dream Saturday night that Pierce Brosnan died suddenly and it threw the entire series into chaos. Now I understand why I had that dream.

While this situation is not worth ending one's life, I would like to suggest a new poll answer: the worst idea in literary circles since allowing the anonymous author of Primary Colors to reveal himself.

-- Xenobia

#50 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:53 PM

Don't people learn from history...

Young Indiana Jones - flopped

Young Sherlock Holmes - flopped

See a pattern?!

#51 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:57 PM

...I suspect not a blood relative of Ian Lancaster Fleming...

I would suspect the contrary.

#52 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:59 PM

...I suspect not a blood relative of Ian Lancaster Fleming...

I would suspect the contrary.

ouch!

#53 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:27 PM

Do you really think the family would approve of this Mister Asterix? I would hope that they wouldn't.

Well, all I can say is, thank GOD for fan fiction. It looks like folks like Jim and you will be keeping the Fleming tradition alive.

-- Xenobia

#54 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:28 PM

Don't people learn from history...

Young Indiana Jones - flopped

Young Sherlock Holmes - flopped

See a pattern?!

Add to that...

003 1/2: The Adventures of James Bond Junior (1967) - flopped

James Bond Junior (1991) - flopped

So what ARE they thinking?

Let

#55 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:29 PM

Do you really think the family would approve of this Mister Asterix? I would hope that they wouldn't.

The Fleming family are delighted. Lucy Fleming, Ian

#56 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Do you really think the family would approve of this Mister Asterix?  I would hope that they wouldn't.

Not approve?

Read my Benson interview, the family (the nieces) now RUN the show. This was THEIR idea, no doubt.

#57 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

"Aimed primarily at the 9-12 market, initial reactions suggest that these quintessential Bond stories will appeal to young and adult readers alike"

........the Bond books were NEVER children's books.......... and they should never BE children's books. This is very sad indeed........

I'll read it..... IF I can find it at the local bookstore or library...... but....... I'm not nearly as excited as I would have been, say if they had announced another continuation novelist......

:)

#58 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:32 PM

Read my Benson interview, the family (the nieces) now RUN the show. This was THEIR idea, no doubt.

That's even more sickening.

Someone needs to knock a lot of sense into them.

I just cannot comprehend how they could think this would make Bond fans happy!!! Just don't see how they think the way they are.

#59 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:57 PM

Has anyone else been over to IFP site yet and lodged their dissaproval?

I'm gonna e-mail again tomorrow and ask if now the Young Bond series is underway whether they can tell me if the adult continuation novels are oficially 100% deceased. I know you're thinking 'of course they are' but maybe IFP are throwing a curve ball and we'll get some adult stuff too? Call me the optimist but it's the only way i'm gonna get any sleep tonight. Also, who's gonna do the bond 21 novelisation. Can't very well have Higson do it, the sex scenes and gruesome deaths would hardly fit nicely alongside the boy's adventures would they? And how could you market the adult novelisation alongside childrens books by the same author??

I'm also gonna grill them about reprints again. I suggest all other adult bond lit fans do the same, the more mail they get may force them into answering us, or making a statement on the website. It's gotta be worth a shot right? Up to you folks though.

Hawkeye

... Young Bond... boggles the mind doesn't it?

PS. Zencat how about asking R. Benson's opinion on this in the interview. He's not tied to them now so it would be nice to get an honest opinion of this from a Bond Author.

#60 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:04 PM

I'm gonna e-mail again tomorrow and ask if now the Young Bond series is underway whether they can tell me if the adult continuation novels are oficially 100% deceased. I know you're thinking 'of course they are' but maybe IFP are throwing a curve ball and we'll get some adult stuff too? Call me the optimist but it's the only way i'm gonna get any sleep tonight. Also, who's gonna do the bond 21 novelisation. Can't very well have Higson do it, the sex scenes and gruesome deaths would hardly fit nicely alongside the boy's adventures would they? And how could you market the adult novelisation alongside childrens books by the same author??

A fine idea that is! And there had better be sex and violence in the young James Bond novels, it's an integral part of the character!

Definitely would be a total loss to lose the novelizations.