This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

On Her Majesty's Secret Service: Spectacular?

64 replies to this topic

#31 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 03:55 PM

I thought it was Chi Chi, the guy who takes a pummeling from Lazenby in his motel room.

#32 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 09:27 PM

I thought it was Chi Chi, the guy who takes a pummeling from Lazenby in his motel room.

I'm pretty sure you're right, Chandler.

#33 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:18 AM

Though I grew up on the early Connery films, OHMSS remains a favorite of mine, second only to Goldfinger. I went into the theatre in'69 expecting to hate it and was blown away by Peter Hunt's daring change to the series. No one since then has been able to combine the literary and motion picture 007 so well.

#34 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:40 AM

I think that OHMSS is one of the best Bond films, however, there are a few flaws holding it back.

1. The cinematography is great, but, the style of the film seems outdated and tacky (The purple, the ruffled shirts, Tracy's ski outfit...) I also didn't like the quick-cut action sequences. I would have preferred to have just seen the fights straight-on.

2. Telly Savalas didn't really do it for me as Blofeld. Even though he's a great actor, he was truly mis-cast. He does seem like a gangster type, and is more hands-on than all of the other Blofelds. For me, Vincent Price would have made a great Blofeld in this film, provided a few changes. Also, Blofeld throwing down his cat and pursuing Bond on ski's seems too un-villain like, for any Bond film. Why would Blofeld stoop so low.

3. George Lazenby seems too young for the role, considering those around him. Moneypenny is clearly older than he is. He also can't act very well in the first half. That comment about the caviar in his Tracy's hotel room is so dry, that it makes me want to scream. In the second half though, he really picks up, and starts to form his own character, and not to to do a "by the book" Bond.

4. Blofeld's plot is rather mundane. A pardon and Title? This is Ernst Blofeld here! Even though he's clearly insane, why would he want a title, of all things, if he was one of the worlds most wanted criminals. It's not like he'd be making any speeches, or cutting ribbons in public any time soon. He may be a psychotic, but he's certainly a genius. "The distance between genius and insanity, is measured only by success."

Other than that, the film is great, one of my favorites to watch on a rainy day.

9.5/10

#35 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:07 PM

Other than the fact that the fight editing was terrible... yes... On Her Majesty’s Secret Service is in fact spectacular in my eyes. As I said in another thread On Her Majesty’s Secret Service is on my top fave Bond films list along with GoldenEye & The Spy Who Loved Me. OHMSS was a different side of Bond... and that I like.

#36 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:32 PM

Well yes, I can never make up my mind on whether I like that fight scene editting or not, it just depends I suppose. Sometimes it seems like too much of a visual overload on the eyes.

The film overall though truly is excellent.

#37 Moore Not Less

Moore Not Less

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:13 PM

Well yes, I can never make up my mind on whether I like that fight scene editting or not, it just depends I suppose. Sometimes it seems like too much of a visual overload on the eyes.

The fight scenes and the way that they are edited and sped up makes them look more like cartoons to me. I half expect Batman and Robin to join in BIFF! BAM! KABOOM! It makes no sense to me, especially when you consider that George Lazenby was hired to play the role of James Bond mainly because of his ability in fight scenes.

#38 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:01 AM

The fight scenes and the way that they are edited and sped up makes them look more like cartoons to me. I half expect Batman and Robin to join in BIFF! BAM! KABOOM! It makes no sense to me, especially when you consider that George Lazenby was hired to play the role of James Bond mainly because of his ability in fight scenes.

I think Hunt was trying to really make it an interesting sequence, and his editting could be quite fantastic. But, I don't think he pulled it off with this scene.

#39 Moore Not Less

Moore Not Less

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:09 PM

I think Hunt was trying to really make it an interesting sequence, and his editting could be quite fantastic. But, I don't think he pulled it off with this scene.

In my previous post I forgot to mention about the weird sound effects that accompany the sped up fight scenes in OHMSS which significantly contribute to their cartoon like nature.

I don't doubt that Peter Hunt was trying to make those fight scenes more interesting, but unfortunately he got it all wrong. However, when he got it right his editing was indeed quite fantastic.

#40 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:19 PM

In my previous post I forgot to mention about the weird sound effects that accompany the sped up fight scenes in OHMSS which significantly contribute to their cartoon like nature.

Oh yes, I think I know of the ones you speak of.

#41 SimplyMoore

SimplyMoore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:33 PM

I think that OHMSS was the most important movie in the series, and it was a shame that Sean Connery refused to play Bond in it. I think this film would have shown his acting ability and would have been a perfect ending to his rein as James Bond. I don't understand why he took a different route.
The movie was great, the story was excellent and it was done splendidly. Unfiortunately, I didn't care for the actor and this was the reason why I didn't watch it as many times as perhaps should have.

#42 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:00 PM

I think that OHMSS was the most important movie in the series, and it was a shame that Sean Connery refused to play Bond in it. I think this film would have shown his acting ability and would have been a perfect ending to his rein as James Bond. I don't understand why he took a different route.

I've often thought that too and wondered if Connery could have really done it. I've accepted Lazrnby, and he does fine. Connery would have been interesting to see though, no doubt there.

#43 Moore Not Less

Moore Not Less

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:57 PM

I've often thought that too and wondered if Connery could have really done it. I've accepted Lazrnby, and he does fine. Connery would have been interesting to see though, no doubt there.

It is all a matter of timing. The Sean Connery of the first four Bond films would have been just fine in OHMSS, certainly a lot better than George Lazenby. But the non performing Sean Connery of YOLT would have been worse than George Lazenby.

#44 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:04 PM

That's true, I didn't look at it from that angle. The characters are key in this film, and while Lazenby isn't the best Bond, he gives a very strong and capable performance in it. Possibly better than Connery would have done if he did it directly after You Only Live Twice, with his animosity towards the series.

#45 SimplyMoore

SimplyMoore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:10 PM

Hi, Qwerty and Moore Not Less! You didn't like YOLT? I thought most fans consider it one of Sean's best. I liked it, but Goldfinger and believe it or not, DAF, are my favourites among Sean's movies. I think that if Sean had played in OHMSS it would have been more impressive, because we were already used to him as Bond, and seeing him experience tragedy would have been more touching than seeing an unknown actor do it all instead. Lazenby was indeed put in a difficult position. (He did ask for it though) Not only that he had to play 007 after Sean Connery with basically no acting experience, but he also had to play Bond at his most vulnerable time. Laz did fine. But speaking for myself and only myself, I thought he lacked something. Maybe he is just not my type. :) :) :) But the movie was very very good, that's for sure.

#46 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:12 PM

Hi, Qwerty and Moore Not Less! You didn't like YOLT? I thought most fans consider it one of Sean's best.

Well I do like, there isn't a Bond film that I hate. I consider it one of Connery's lesser Bond films, but still very enjoyable nonetheless. Sometimes my opinion changes on it occasionally. :) I think Connery could have given a slightly better performance in the film though.

Overall a fine film.

#47 Moore Not Less

Moore Not Less

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:59 PM

Hi, Qwerty and Moore Not Less! You didn't like YOLT? I thought most fans consider it one of Sean's best.

Hello, SimplyMoore. I do like You Only Live Twice and I do consider it one of Sean Connery's best Bond films despite his performance, or should I say non performance. My favourite Connery films are Goldfinger, From Russia With Love and then You Only Live Twice.

The best highlight of YOLT is John Barry's absolutely superb score. :)

Edited by Moore Not Less, 03 June 2004 - 08:01 PM.

#48 SimplyMoore

SimplyMoore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 05:24 PM

I absolutely agree about the score! The song is one of the best in the entire series.

That brings me to my next question, what do you think about OHMSS title song?

I am going to watch YOLT again and pay better attention to Sean's performance. Strangest thing how SC wanted so desperately to get out of playing James Bond and yet later on insisted on returning to the role in Never Say Never Again. :)

#49 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:14 PM

That brings me to my next question, what do you think about OHMSS title song?

I am going to watch YOLT again and pay better attention to Sean's performance. Strangest thing how SC wanted so desperately to get out of playing James Bond and yet later on insisted on returning to the role in Never Say Never Again. :)

Well that can be attributed to his wife's support and him being away from the role so long.

Regarding the title song for On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, I love that "killer tune" as David Arnold describes it. Always excellent.

#50 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:34 PM

I agree, the main title theme is really great. I love how it just blasts in as Bond and Tracy are skiing. Great stuff.

#51 Moore Not Less

Moore Not Less

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:08 PM

The title theme from OHMSS is superb, it's my favourite of the entire series. Yes, always excellent, always inspirational. John Barry followed up his masterful score of YOLT in superb fashion. Examples, Gumbold's Office and We Have All The Time In The World. OHMSS is littered with great music, but overall it isn't quite as inspirational to me as the score of YOLT is.

#52 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 01:18 AM

The OHMSS score is my personal favorite and the title song conjurs up more images than any other Bond theme for me. It's the type of song I get chills hearing sometimes. It's yet another feature that makes OHMSS stand out from most of the rest of the series. Sadly, they don't make them like that anymore.

#53 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:21 AM

Sadly, they don't make them like that anymore.

I've always wondered that if they took a chance and went with a strong instrumental title song, if it'd work. The odd thing would be though that they'd probably want a song with lyrics to promote the film.

Certainly worked for On Her Majesty’s Secret Service though.

#54 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:30 AM

Sadly, they don't make them like that anymore.

I've always wondered that if they took a chance and went with a strong instrumental title song, if it'd work. The odd thing would be though that they'd probably want a song with lyrics to promote the film.

Certainly worked for On Her Majesty’s Secret Service though.

Could you imagine them trying that in this day and age? It really shows they were more interested in promoting the film than the product around it. But you could get away with it 35 years ago.

It's just too valuable to have a popular artist associated with your product.

#55 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:34 AM

But you could get away with it 35 years ago.

Exactly, it'd be very cool, and rather surprising if they considered that now.

#56 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:40 AM

The ending of OHMSS was undoubtedly the most powerful of all the Bond series. I have no complaints about this film whatsoever. Great flick :)

#57 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:48 AM

So, in other words, yes I agree OHMSS was spectacular. I pity anyone who says that Lazneby was the worst James Bond.

#58 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:50 AM

So, in other words, yes I agree OHMSS was spectacular. I pity anyone who says that Lazneby was the worst James Bond.

You then pity me.

Of all the official Bond's, he's my least favorite. The film is spectacular to me, but he's just my least favorite of them all.

#59 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:55 AM

Nah, I don't pity you, Qwerty.

I don't pity those who least prefer Lazenby, I pity those who say he's the worst Bond actor of them all. Maybe that's your opinion, but still, I don't pity you.

I'm just too nice, aren't I? :)

#60 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:59 AM

Nah, I don't pity you, Qwerty.

I don't pity those who least prefer Lazenby, I pity those who say he's the worst Bond actor of them all. Maybe that's your opinion, but still, I don't pity you.

I'm just too nice, aren't I? :)

But basically I'm saying he is in my opinion the worst Bond if he's my least favorite, yes?