This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

On Her Majesty's Secret Service: Spectacular?

64 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 11:11 PM

Once in a while, I just like to create a thread which is very simply a review of a single Bond film and to see what others of it think...

So far I've done a few others including,

You Only Live Twice: The most atmospheric of all time?

Diamonds Are Forever: Sparkling or sinking over the years?

The Man With The Golden Gun: Flawed gem or chaotic mess?

The Spy Who Loved Me: As good as you think, probably even better!

Moonraker: Not as bad as you think.

Octopussy: All the right elements or Misfire?

And a few others I think.

Now, we examine On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, what can be called by some, the greatest Bond film ever, or one that is much too far from the accepted Bond and the regular way of doing things.

In my opinion, On Her Majesty's Secret Service truly is a spectacular film. It's always a treat to watch because it never seems to get old at all. While many things date in Bond films, it doesn't seem to get too bothersome in this one.

To start off, Geroge Lazenby, while not Connery, is still a very good portrayer of James Bond 007. He's a man of action, and this film very well supports that, giving him much to do in it. I feel, while I like the four other Bond actors better, for this single film, Lazenby showed off some very good points and he gives a better performance in it to just be labeled "that other guy that just did one."

Diana Rigg- A true angel of a Bond girl. In my opinion, what can be said about her performance as Tracy is mostly all good points. She's tough and resourceful, but not to a point where she's trying to be better than Bond, and she doesn't always remind the audience that she can do as much as he can, she just plays the role, and she plays it well. Her scenes of lashing against her father's words and her eventual fall for Bond are acted out quite well. As is, which I say is perhaps the classiest moment in the film series, her skating onto the scene to help Bond escape from Iram Bunt and SPECTRE. Her death at the end of the film is a strong one, strong enough that the James Bond theme is played at the very end to remind people that this is a Bond film, no matter what these large differences are that have yet to occur in the series, (such as the Bond girl dying).

Ernst Stavro Blofeld and Irma Bunt are very solid Bond villains. They both deliver well, with Bunt's casual barking of orders at dinner to be quite the way she defines her respect.

"Watch it, she's got ears like an elephant."

Savalas gives a fine performance as Blofeld, he seems to fit quite well in between portrayals by Pleasance and Gray.

The angels of death are fun, the way to show off another trademark of the Bond series, the pretty girls. As such, the dinner scene, while a long one, is never boring.

John Barry delivers in this one all the way. Constantly mentioned as a fantastic score with many of the cues to be quite perfect indeed. The main title track, which is also used in the ski chases is quite the blast. I think David Arnold says it best:

"The thing with On Her Majesty's Secret Service is that it's such a killer tune."

Combined with Hunt's perfect idea that this 'was already a great Bond novel, why change it?', the shimmering photgraphy and the overall appearance of this film, it really is a good one.

What do you think of this Bond film? Does it live up to expectations to be called a spectacular film? Is it just not enough in certain categories? Or is it severely lacking for you?

#2 SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 11:43 PM

If they were all made like OHMSS, sensualist would have his complaint free board. From me at least.

Lazenby: ok, he ain't the best actor, but he's my join 2nd fav Bond (caught) along with Connery. Not acting in a role that requires barely any isn't a sin in my book. (Brosnans OVER acting, however...sigh).

He gets plenty of action and he's a real 'Bond the believable hero' and not some superman idiot. He is truely hard edged choking the enemy with his ski and looks cool sliding along the ice with his sterling firing at the enemys. He also handles the love stuff and the death well enough to pass my standards (and we know what a big whiner I am...or something.)

Certainly I could stomach 2/3 films from him, i'm sure. Probably not 4 though.

Rigg: yeah she's great. What else can you say? She's a good actress and a totaly believable Tracy.

Blofeld: well this is not really my perfect idea of Blofeld. Savalas isn't the real problem, rather the way he portrayed him. I've always thought of Blofeld as the Christopher Lee type (charming, but deadly and a bit mad; stemming from over intelligence) and Savalas plays Blofeld the way I might imagine Scaramanga from the TMWTGG novel: a bit of a thug.

Bunt, is again, a perfect casting.

Score: pretty damn awesome. Certainly up there, but perhaps not the best. (What is the best? Well that depends on the day of the week :) )
The main theme is great, but the credits score could have done with lyrics maybe. WHATTITW is a great love song!

If I had to be picky (and since it's me...) I would say they should have kept the flashback theme of the novel and have Bond 'captured' in the precredits (obviously leeding to his meet with Tracy's dad). Would have been more radical and cool I think.

People also say Hunt shot it too much 'for action' but I don't think so...and even if he did so what? The film looks awesome so [c3nz0r3d] anyone who thinks that, they ain't got a clue as far as I care!

OHMSS 9.5/10

#3 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:14 AM

I didn't dislike George Lazenby, but I didn't think of him as a spectacular 007 either. Perhaps he could have matured in the role and I would have liked him better. At least he was a credible 007. Unfortunately, they dubbed over Lazenby's voice with that of George Baker's (Sir Hilary Bray) when Bond impersonated the Sable Basilisk of the College of Arms. When I first saw the film I was unaware of this dubbing and thought that Lazenby was a much better actor than he was.

I always felt that the casting of Diana Rigg as Tracy was a way for the producers to hedge their bets with George Lazenby. I wonder if they were thinking that they could get fans of Emma Peel and The Avengers into the theater who wouldn't normally take a chance on the new Bond.

I also always felt that Telly Savalas, although a good actor, was miscast as Blofeld. He always seemed like a New Yorker to me and not have the Eastern European origins of Blofeld. His casting was also a surprise since Eric Pohlmann and Donald Pleasance made the character sound German. It was also surprising to see Blofeld lead the ski chase when Bond escaped from Piz Gloria. The previous film incarnations and the literary Blofeld would be too arrogant to lead his troops into battle. He seemed like more of the type to stay at headquarters and demand updates about the pursuit.

Ilse Steppat is perfectly cast as Irma Bunt and Gabriele Ferzetti's body and David de Keyser's voice make a memorable Draco.

Ski and bobsled chase co-ordinated and filmed by Willy Bogner is spectacular.

The France, Switzerland, and Portugal locations are also interesting.

Peter Hunt's decision to make the film as close to the original novel as possible and Richard Maibaum's adaption of the novel is very true to the book after the filmmakers departed from the original Fleming story in You Only Live Twice. It certainly was a gamble for the producers at the time since the story departed from the "James Bond formula".

Raymond Benson claims in his book The James Bond Bedside Companion that the film would have been the best in the series if Sean Connery had played James Bond. But I don't know if it would have been more of a success or "the best" with Sean Connery.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:46 AM

Indeed, I always found the fact that Ernst Stavro Blofeld going straight into battle, while Pleasance's portrayal which had just been seen in the past Bond film had the villain usually sitting and ordering around his men. A bit different, not necessarily for the worse, just different.

The best with Sean Connery as 007? Well, I don't know, and we never will. Personally I don't know if that can be claimed since he was tiring of the character by then. It might have shown if he had played it.

#5 KMHPaladin

KMHPaladin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:04 AM

The "departure from the formula" that Triton mentioned is, in my opinion, what makes OHMSS one of my favorite Bond movies. I didn't feel that way until I'd read the book, but I think it's easily the truest book adaptation of the series. I can read the book and envision scenes from the movie almost verbatim, which is difficult to do with all but a couple of others. As previous posters have mentioned, the soundtrack was memorable, and the plot as a result of the close adaptation lacked the over-the-top direction that YOLT had taken and avoided the tongue-in-cheek nature of moves to follow like DAF.

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, OHMSS is spectacular. There's so much going on in that film it's hard to resist. I find it strange Brosnan never brings up wanting to do a film like this when talking about how he wants to explore the Bond character. This is the ultimate exploration of character for me, along with all the other great stuff -- action, women, battles, stunts, etc.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, OHMSS is spectacular. There's so much going on in that film it's hard to resist. I find it strange Brosnan never brings up wanting to do a film like this when talking about how he wants to explore the Bond character. This is the ultimate exploration of character for me, along with all the other great stuff -- action, women, battles, stunts, etc.

You got it Turn.

I think the thing is, is that they knew it was a great story and they weren't trying too make it better by adding in all this uneeded extra stuff. They knew what the plot was and how to do it, they filmed it, and it turned out to be a masterpiece, extremely well regarded today.

A brillaint success.

#8 J J

J J

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:26 PM

Totally love it and I totally regret it didn't live up to box office expectations back then... though an OK Bond I can live with the loss of Lazenby after this film, but I still hate it was Peter Hunt's swan song. Who knows where he would have taken James Bond in films to come :)

#9 00Nothing

00Nothing

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:28 PM

I think the film is flawed, but yet it is also a masterpiece. In many ways it is a flawed masterpiece in my view. There are many great elements. The inclusion of true character development of the character of Bond is superb, Savalas is great as Blofeld and Imra Bunt is a great villainess, while Diana Rigg is the type of girl that should have made Bond want to settle down.

Lazenby is the problem here. His performance is not terrible. He handles the phsyical action superbly, but at times he is a bit wooden and his delivery of the dialouge a bit stale. However, Lazendy truly impresses in the film's final scene. The moment where he holds Tracy's lifeless body after saving her in every way is devastastingly brilliant. One can't help but wonder that had Lazenby done at least one more, or even two, he may have grown into the role and eventually assumed his own postition in the role.

Memorable and one to cherish, but for me, not one of the classics that a lot of other people think, but that is just my opinion.

#10 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:28 PM

Easily the high water mark and artistic pinnacle of the James Bond film series.

#11 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:36 PM

Memorable and one to cherish, but for me, not one of the classics that a lot of other people think, but that is just my opinion.

You bring up an interesting point. I've seen people loathe OHMSS just because they don't like Lazenby and many even forget it exists. Critics rarely do, siting GF and TSWLM and such as the best.

But I was on one forum a while back where one guy who is an incredible film snob, who loves films lke La Aventura and dismisses just about everything else as junk posts. In a Bond thread, he claims OHMSS is the only one worth anything. So it's interesting in the way it works, love it, like it, tolerate it, dislike it or hate it.

#12 00Nothing

00Nothing

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:40 PM

But I was on one forum a while back where one guy who is an incredible film snob, who loves films lke La Aventura and dismisses just about everything else as junk posts. In a Bond thread, he claims OHMSS is the only one worth anything. So it's interesting in the way it works, love it, like it, tolerate it, dislike it or hate it.

I read in a review that people who tend to NOT like James Bond films tend to like OHMSS. It's strange how that seems to be the case.

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:48 PM

I read in a review that people who tend to NOT like James Bond films tend to like OHMSS. It's strange how that seems to be the case.

Perhaps because it's a bit different from the others with a unusual ending and a new Bond?

Never heard that before, but quite interesting it is.

#14 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:12 PM

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a great movie of course , but I would like it even more if the James Bond was played by Roger Moore.

#15 00Nothing

00Nothing

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:20 PM

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a great movie of course , but I would like it even more if the James Bond was played by Roger Moore.

I find that very interesting. I don't know if Roger Moore could have carried the emotional weight of that final scene. I know there was a moment in TSWLM where he has a reaction to what Agent XXX says to him about Tracy and he carried that well, but I'm not totally sure about actually acting that moment. To be honest I can't imagine anyone but Lazenby acting in that scene.

#16 Onyx2626

Onyx2626

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:45 PM

Qwerty's right, Tracy skating up to Bond is a standout moment in the series. Why, I don't know. The locations in this film are superb, the helicopter ride to Piz Gloria is my favorite.

For a non-actor, Lazenby handles the final scene well.

I think the enduring appeal of OHMSS is that it's the most mature film of the series, and thus non-fans can like it too. The most tongue-in-cheek part is when Bond goes through his desk. I grew up ignoring this one, too. :)

#17 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:04 PM

For a non-actor, Lazenby handles the final scene well.

I think that too. :)

#18 00Nothing

00Nothing

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:06 PM

Does anyone else ever get a lump in their throat when he utters the line;

"We have all the time in the world."

His insistence that she's alright, she's sleeping is one of the most heartbreaking moments in the history of cinema.

#19 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:07 PM

Does anyone else ever get a lump in their throat when he utters the line;

"We have all the time in the world."

His insistence that she's alright, she's sleeping is one of the most heartbreaking moments in the history of cinema.

I had when I saw it the last time. :)

#20 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:25 AM

Qwerty's right, Tracy skating up to Bond is a standout moment in the series. Why, I don't know.

Yes, I might just call it the best moment in the entire series. Just overflowing with class and excitement. :)

I really would not want to see any other Bond but Lazenby in this film. Having seen it many times, he owns this film and puts his stamp on it, and it works.

#21 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:53 AM

I LOVE OHMSS. In fact, Laz left while he was on top, albiet premature. He only did one film but it was one hell of a film to do! I loved the film. I liked Laz as Bond. He has a cocky two fisted machismo that overcomes his apparent lack of acting experience and formal eduacation.He is my #3 007. His delivery of "My name is Bond..." has room for improvement but he gets better as film goes...I've read they always shoot the pretitle first so it was early in shooting...

Dianna Rigg: Adds class and real tradegy in this film, not the cheesy contrived drama and tradegy we've been force fed the last 8 years...

I love Telly Savalas. I loved that line"A brilliant conversationalist, before he left us". That was diabolical humour.I love it! :)

#22 Gebruder Gumbold

Gebruder Gumbold

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:28 AM

OHMSS is the best Bond film if not THE best film. It is true to the best Fleming novel. The score is KILLER! George Lazenby gives one of the best performances as Bond (other than those of Dalton). Yes, he plays him as a human Bond and that is what I like. This film is one that I shall never tire of watching (who could).

#23 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:55 AM

I love OHMSS. Barry's best score, best dialogue, best plot. My 2nd favorite film, and my third favorite actor.

#24 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:10 AM

Wow Devin! This is a very well written thread. I used to hate On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. Now I love it! Diana Rigg is my favorite Bond Girl. The score is one of my favorites also. Lazenby did a good job. I think Lazenby is not respected enough because most people (some who haven't even seen On Her Majesty’s Secret Service) think he sucks because he only did one film. The villains were okay. Telly Savalas was a good Blofeld.

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:31 AM

Wow Devin! This is a very well written thread. I used to hate On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. Now I love it! Diana Rigg is my favorite Bond Girl. The score is one of my favorites also. Lazenby did a good job. I think Lazenby is not respected enough because most people (some who haven't even seen On Her Majesty’s Secret Service) think he sucks because he only did one film. The villains were okay. Telly Savalas was a good Blofeld.

Thank You Chris! :)

I wanted to make a thread to highlight this great film, glad you like it. :)

#26 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:05 PM

OHMSS is my favorite Bond ever, along with one of the best action films ever made. I have seen this movie so many times to have lost count. The score is phenomenal. The only negative thing is that the people involved with this movie were not brought back for an encore. DAF was practically screaming for these guys to come back and make it good.

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:50 PM

OHMSS is my favorite Bond ever, along with one of the best action films ever made. I have seen this movie so many times to have lost count. The score is phenomenal. The only negative thing is that the people involved with this movie were not brought back for an encore. DAF was practically screaming for these guys to come back and make it good.

For all it's worth though, I am happy that at least some reminder of OHMSS was in the precredits at least in Diamonds Are Forever.

#28 TheCheat

TheCheat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 494 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:31 PM

on her majesty's secret service will always be my favorite bond film

while a lot of people say they dont like lazenby, i cant imagine anybody else as bond in this film

tracy stopping right in from of the camera is such a great shot

overall it is not just a great bond film, but a great film in general, i wish they would take risks like they did with this one today

#29 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:13 PM

OHMSS is a mixed bag when you really get down to analyzing it. As much as Bond fans consider it one of the greatest - I consider it a good, but flawed, adaptation of Ian Fleming's classic.

THE CAST: Perhaps this is the weakest link here. It could be said that all three of the leads aren't that great. Lazenby is serviceable as Bond, but lacks any acting ability or direction (probably resulting from Hunt's lack of confidence with directing actors), Rigg acts beautifully but lacks the amount of beauty necessarily for the quintessential Bond girl, and Savalas doesn't fit the mold of what Blofeld should be.

THE SCRIPT: The script is, for the most part, one of the better ones. However, the first half could use some tightening as it drags a little bit - and also some things just don't make sense (why do the thugs attack Bond on the beach again?!).

THE DIRECTION: Peter Hunt does a good job with directing a Bond film. Perhaps his weakness lies in giving direction to his actors (in all fairness, he had no previous experience with this), and it shows. Some of the action is edited poorly, but ultimately, it's a very good job.

OTHER ELEMENTS: The score is wonderful, the production design is somewhat lacking in comparison to the earlier entries in the series, and the cinematography is fine.

OVERALL: The film is a wonderful great product that tells the story of Bond's greatest love. If anything can be faulted here, it's that the film is just too 60s for it's own good. The Angels of Death are laughable, the brainwashing scenes terrible, and some various other things just don't work. However, the action sequences are great and are among the best in the series - especially the final pursuit betwen Bond and Blofeld. 8/10

#30 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 03:51 PM

Yeah, OHMSS is damn good.

George Lazenby
He is not as good as Mr. Connery, Mr. Moore and Mr. Brosnan but he is a good actor as Bond. Especially during the fight scenes. Lazenby is great during those.

Diana Rigg
She is after Ms. Miranda Frost my favourite Bond Girl. She is excellent and you really cries both on the inside and the outside when she is shot in the head.

Telly Savalas
The best Blofeld. He is great. My favourite Bond villian! He is so excellent. Blofeld isn't that weird guy that sits and pushes on buttons in this movie. He is out on the field, trying to kill Bond.

These three of the cast are superb. The rest of the cast is good too but it is these to that really shines during the whole movie.

Have you noticed that Quarrel Jr. is on Bond's wedding in the movie. He is that colored man that applaus when the present: Mr and Mrs. James Bond.