37 replies to this topic

#31 Jamie007

Jamie007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 07:24 AM

A great film. Except for that bloody tarzan yell!

#32 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 10:03 AM

Love octopussy, its my third faviorite right behind OHMSS and TND. It's got everything- great location, great action, great bond girls, great story and my personal faviorite title of the whole series.

#33 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 03:44 PM

yeah the tarzan yell was way silly, and i still cant believe all these years later that they really did that....what were they thinking. they would never do that with brosnan....would they?

#34 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 05:45 PM

Although I am not a fan of the Tarzan yell I remember that it did get a chuckle from the audience I was in...

#35 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 12:57 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
Although I am not a fan of the Tarzan yell I remember that it did get a chuckle from the audience I was in...

Yes it got a huge laugh in the theater I was at too :)

It is soooo true.. I wrote Roger this and it is true.. to this day octopussy was the best movie going experience I have ever had!! the crowd reacted at every moment properly!!

I saw Star Wars, Raider fo the lost ark, ET, Superman, Rocky 3.. really every major box office movie at that time...

Octopussy stands alone.. for reactions from the audience at the right moments!! It was soo amazing to me I went it saw it around 5 times in the theater..

everytime.. samething!!:)

#36 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 04:03 PM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

It is soooo true.. I wrote Roger this and it is true.. to this day octopussy was the best movie going experience I have ever had!! the crowd reacted at every moment properly!!  

I saw Star Wars, Raider fo the lost ark, ET, Superman, Rocky 3.. really every major box office movie at that time...  

Octopussy stands alone.. for reactions from the audience at the right moments!! It was soo amazing to me I went it saw it around 5 times in the theater..  

everytime.. samething!!:)

I remember the buzz I got from seeing "Octopussy" too...It was a great experience seeing that in the movie theater. It was the summer of "Return of the Jedi", "Wargames" and "Superman III". It was a great summer to be a fan of the movies and "Octopussy" was a lot of fun to see with a packed house.

#37 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 04:17 PM

Good point, DLibrasnow. I remember having much the same experience. The audience reacted to Octopussy very well, and it definitely enhanced my enjoyment of the movie.

#38 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 06:45 PM

Originally posted by zencat
Good point, DLibrasnow. I remember having much the same experience. The audience reacted to Octopussy very well, and it definitely enhanced my enjoyment of the movie.

When I go to the press previews for movies there are always lots of people there (who have won tickets on radio stations and the like). One time I asked the studio rep why they always try to fill up the theaters at the press screenings and she said they want the reviewers to get the "buzz" from watching it with a whole audience. Rather than just a few reviewers scribbling down the odd note and chatting about how they are going to review it.
There are some movies that are just better to see with a movie theater audience - Octopussy was such a movie. It'll always be a favorite of mine precisely because of the notaligia factor.