This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

All 6 new Fleming covers revealed! (update)

52 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 11:14 PM

Artist Richie Fahey has revealed the cover art for the next six Ian Fleming reissues on his website. Live and Let Die, Thunderball, and For Your Eyes Only are set for release on June 1, 2003. The Spy Who Loved Me, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and You Only Live Twice have an August 28, 2003 release date.

Here's a look at the first set:

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 11:14 PM

Here's the second set:

#3 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 11:19 PM

I love these new covers, they make'em like a true bond book should be sexual slez covers god i love it especially for your eyes only and live and let die...Thats the sprit boys!

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 11:20 PM

I love 'em too. Which girl is "your type"? For me, it's LALD all the way, but some reason I always end up with the Thunderball "type."

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 12:09 AM

I'm wondering if that LALD cover is a little too sexy and maybe that's the reason behind the hold up of the first set. These image are from the artist's site, so it's possible what we get might be a bit different. I hope not.

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 12:16 AM

Those covers are great.

#7 superracer0022

superracer0022

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 01:26 AM

i think they are awesome, truly bond 100%

#8 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 01:27 AM

Wow! They are beautiful. And not just the girls.

#9 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 01:27 AM

I think Thunderball and for your eyes only booth look like previous girl friends :)

#10 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 01:29 AM

Your a lucky man.

#11 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 01:29 AM

I'm an idiot...This should be under the new fleming cover message, ahahaha "Moneypenny be a good girl and move this."-J/K

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 14 May 2003 - 02:06 AM

Originally posted by MrDraco
I'm an idiot...This should be under the new fleming cover message, ahahaha "Moneypenny be a good girl and move this."-J/K

I just merged your thread with this one, MrDraco. :)

As to the covers, I'm a little surprised how risque they are for American consumption, and as much as I love the retro chic designs, I'm a little put off by all the titles being in diferent fonts. Would the spines show the same fonts as on the cover? All the books lined up on a shelf would make the set look, well, a little too "busy" for my liking.

#13 Melancholy Productions

Melancholy Productions

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 02:07 AM

These look fantastic, it's a shame I live in Australia though!!

I really think this guy should illustrate the posters for Bond 21, it would give the new movies that old time classic Bond feel. Thoughts?

Cheerio,
Chris.

#14 Kernal Son

Kernal Son

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 03:56 AM

Ouch! My jaw still hurts from hitting my desk. These covers are great! I hope they don't change by the time they hit the book shelves.

These would make great posters! Although my wife might have a different opinion.....

#15 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 05:32 AM

absolutely fantastic!

#16 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 08:06 AM

Hooray for partial nudity! Hehe :)

They look excellent. The artist did great work!

#17 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 09:08 AM

Just superb - I never understood all this contemporising of the covers for previous sets.

#18 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:40 AM

Richie Fahey is my God.

I cannot wait to have this entire set. I plan to build a shadowbox so I can display the front covers of these on my wall.

And BC yes the spines do each have the different fonts for the title, but the whole thing holds together well because of the unifying Compacta font used for the ‘IAN FLEMING’ and the ‘007’ (Actually, the spine has ‘JAMES BOND 007’.)

So if my count is correct we have all of the Fleming covers except: Octopussy and The Man With The Golden Gun. Can’t wait for those.

#19 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 12:04 PM

Right that does it. Sod my policy of buying UK-only Bond books to stop my collection from spiralling out of control. I want these and I want them now. They are gorgeous. Probably the best cover art I've ever seen. They sum up the books perfectly. And WHY WEREN'T THEY USED IN BRITAIN???????? (Probably to get saps like me to shell out another vast sum to buy them)

What's more, with these covers it seems to me that the Bond books have finally escaped from the shadow of the Eon films and created their own little 1950s retro world to inhabit, completely separate from the futurism of the films.

#20 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 12:18 PM

>>for your eyes only... look like previous girl friends<<

Why, did she have For Your Eyes Only stamped on her back and a motorcyclist hanging from her right tit? :)

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Coop
Right that does it.  Sod my policy of buying UK-only Bond books to stop my collection from spiralling out of control.  I want these and I want them now.  They are gorgeous.  Probably the best cover art I've ever seen.  They sum up the books perfectly.  And WHY WEREN'T THEY USED IN BRITAIN???????? (Probably to get saps like me to shell out another vast sum to buy them)

What's more, with these covers it seems to me that the Bond books have finally escaped from the shadow of the Eon films and created their own little 1950s retro world to inhabit, completely separate from the futurism of the films.

Well said Coop. This is THE set to own. I wonder if they'll release these in a box set when the series is complete?

It's strange that we have only 2 books left -- they've been putting them out it sets of 3. Could it be we'll get Colonel Sun with the next set? Wouldn't that be great? But I'm not holding out much hope for this. If they didn't do Sun in Britain, it's not likely we'll get it in the US. But I can dream

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 03:44 PM

Hey, a forum user over at MI6 (with only three posts) just "discovered" these for himself. Gave no credit to me or CBN of course. Just put up the link to Fahey's site. I think that's sleazy. I always give credit to the first place I see something (even when it's Mi6). But maybe it's just a coincidence? (yeah)

#23 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:18 PM

Fantastic covers! I'm looking forward to completing my next collection of Fleming books. :)

Neil

#24 Clarence Leiter

Clarence Leiter

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 08:22 AM

I don't understand. What has MI6 got to do with these new Fleming re-releases? :)

I hate to go against the nap here because I do not really like these new old-looking covers. I think if the powers to be want to captue a new audience for Bond the covers should be modern. To my way of thinking these old style covers are only catering to existing Bond fans, fans who already would have the books.

They are a novel idea - no pun intended - but I wouldn't spend money to buy somwthing I already have just because they look retro.

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Clarence Leiter
I don't understand. What has MI6 got to do with these new Fleming re-releases? :)

I'm just being bitchy. Ignore me. :)

Originally posted by Clarence Leiter
I think if the powers to be want to captue a new audience for Bond the covers should be modern.

That's what they've been doing for 50 years. And this time they did do modern covers in England, retro in US. Maybe it's an experiment to see which sell better? I love these retro covers. If the object is to sell books, the retros got me. I'm buying the retro set, not buying the modern set.

#26 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 02:40 PM

...and I bought the modern set last year and now feel compelled to buy the retro set for the wonderful cover art.

So chalk up another $100 or so to Penguin USA.

#27 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 02:57 PM

Are they doing 'Golden Gun' and 'Octopussy' as well?

#28 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Jriv71
Are they doing 'Golden Gun' and 'Octopussy' as well?

They haven't announced them yet, but my guess is they'll come out in the Fall.

Got my Thunderball yesterday. My LALD and FYEO shipped today.

#29 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 05:27 PM

They'd BETTER do Octopussy and Golden Gun :)

I'm also hoping (and holding out for) a boxed set. As Bond said in Moonraker (the film) "We must get them in the stores for Christmas".

#30 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 02:05 AM

The covers are great... really great. My favorite two are LALD and TSWLM. This is very exciting for me because this is my first time
collecting the Fleming novels and I still have many to read. It's just a strange feeling.