38 replies to this topic

#31 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:38 PM

The spy who loved me 1977 I was seven years old and this was my first Bond seen on the Big screen.
Moonraker.
For your eyes only.
Octopussy (first and only time I managed to "get lucky" with a girl in a cinema. (I was 13 and by lucky I mean kiss)
View to a kill. - sadly the first Bond movie where I remember thinking at times that I was a little jaded and bored of moore's Bond.

Solace; very similar to mine; except I saw MR first and TSWLM a year later on re-issue;
I remember Octopussy very fondly as I saw it opening day (first showing) at the Odeon in Manchester;
I have very fond memories of AVTAK as it was the first Bond movie i saw at the Odeon, Leicester Sq.
As above, I felt AVTAK suffered from Roger being too old and the whole thing appearing tired.
I was completely blown away by Moonraker; my love started their and hasn't diminished a jot..

I've since caught LALD several times in a theatre and finally, a few months ago saw TMWTGG in a theater, which was my one hold out of the whole series....

Edited by jrcjohnny99, 09 November 2010 - 10:39 PM.

#32 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

The spy who loved me 1977 I was seven years old and this was my first Bond seen on the Big screen.
Moonraker.
For your eyes only.
Octopussy (first and only time I managed to "get lucky" with a girl in a cinema. (I was 13 and by lucky I mean kiss)
View to a kill. - sadly the first Bond movie where I remember thinking at times that I was a little jaded and bored of moore's Bond.

Solace; very similar to mine; except I saw MR first and TSWLM a year later on re-issue;
I remember Octopussy very fondly as I saw it opening day (first showing) at the Odeon in Manchester;
I have very fond memories of AVTAK as it was the first Bond movie i saw at the Odeon, Leicester Sq.
As above, I felt AVTAK suffered from Roger being too old and the whole thing appearing tired.
I was completely blown away by Moonraker; my love started their and hasn't diminished a jot..

I've since caught LALD several times in a theatre and finally, a few months ago saw TMWTGG in a theater, which was my one hold out of the whole series....

By coincidence I saw TSWLM and Moonraker at the odeon in Manchester also.
A fellow mancunian methinks.

#33 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

MR I saw with my folks when I was 4. I only remember the "Well, here's to us line." and that TSWLM was playing on HBO not too long after. Missed FYEO on release and saw OP. I recall a huge line going around the block, and us catching it at another theatre- matinee on a hot Saturday afternoon. After the film was over my dad remarked that Roger's hair looked lighter and that this one seemed to have more action. He then told me that Sean was coming back in a new film soon. AVTAK we saw at a mall theatre (now demolished) and were fairly early in line. I remember there was no segue from the previews to the film and the gunbarrel just seemed to start up. Maybe the disclaimer threw me off?
Still I had a blast, but thought the mine scenes of Zorin blasting away were kind of long. I later saw LALD, TSWLM and FYEO during a Bond marathon at a local cinema. I have yet to see TMWTGG on the big screen- to this day the only Bond I have yet to experience that way.

#34 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

While I had previously seen BOnd movies on TV, TSWLM was the first Bond film I ever saw on the big screen, I was 9 at the time. Since then I have seen every BOnd film opening weekend (or earlier).

I was on vacation in Nassau with my family in 1983 when Octopussy opened. My parents were not happy, but I insisted we catch OP on opening day. It was quite a bit of fun as the locals really got into the movies more than you generally see crowds in theaters here in the US. Of course Bond enthusiasm was probably pretty high there as we just missed some re-filming of NSNA by 2 weeks. One of our taxi drivers was telling us alot about the filming and that they blew up a hotel room at the hotel next to ours.

#35 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:01 AM

Moonraker.
For your eyes only.

Yep, Manc exiled in LA....just sat and watched the derby (on the red side!)
I used to love the Odeon in Manchester, I dont remember it being one screen, but 1 & 2 were still huge after they tripled it;
I was so dissapointed when they made it 5 (or 6, 7??); and I was stunned when I came back a few years ago and they'd closed it!!!

#36 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:59 PM

Moonraker.
For your eyes only.

I used to love the Odeon in Manchester, I dont remember it being one screen, but 1 & 2 were still huge after they tripled it;
I was so dissapointed when they made it 5 (or 6, 7??); and I was stunned when I came back a few years ago and they'd closed it!!!

Absolutely. I saw many great movies their, Empire strikes back, Return of the jedi, tons of the bonds, Raiders of... on and on I could go. Manc exile myself tho not quite as far as la. Cheshire

#37 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:21 AM

After seeing DAF in December '71, I kept going back to the Odeon Morton Theatre for a 007 fix whenever I had enough pocket money. In the summer of '72 I caught Dr. No and FRWL at the drive-in, but the people I was with wouldn't stay for Goldfinger. Arghh! That remains the only one I've ever only seen on TV. I went back to the Odeon for a double-bill of TB and YOLT, which just blew me away. Early in '73 the Odeon held another retrospective, and I cought OHMSS back-to-back with DAF. Now Bond's Jonesing to kill Blofeld made sense!

A month or so later, while waiting for Burt Reynold's White Lightning to start, I was treated to a trailer for LALD. Heaven! I must have seen WL three times, just for that trailer.

I was there for the second showing on the first day LALD opened. I sat through it twice. I learned that day the meaning of the word 'unreal.' For me LALD was the summer of '73 - I sat through it twice on two later occasions. Eighteen months later I cut class to be first in line for TMWTGG. My brother, who'd turned his nose up at Roger Moore, declaring that the 'real' Bond era was over, showed up right behind me. GG really made my Christmas that year. I saw it five times. All I ever wanted after that was an AMC Hornet (YA THINK?) and a golden gun. I've had the former, much to my chagrin and regret, and next month I will finally have the latter (insert shameless plug for FactoryEnt here).

I was first in line for both the sneak preview and general release of TSWLM. Again, that was the summer of '77. A friend would drop by and say "what do you want to do today? Go see 'Spy?' and off we'd go. I forget how many times I saw it.

I saw MR three times the day it opened, but only because my girlfriend insisted. Twice would have been enough, but that didn't stop me going back throughout the summer.

I was there first day for FYEO too, but no-one was as impressed with it as they had been with MR. What did they expect, MR2? Where do you go after you've saved the entire world from a space-borne attack?

I won tickets to OP for answering a trivia question on the radio. I invited my dad and my brother to go with me, and much to my surprise my wife - who'd come to loathe anything I obsessed over, announced she wanted to go too. She accomppanied me to the first night of NSNA (I had press passes this time) but she wouldn't let me cut class from University to catch the first showing. I had to wait in the lobby while other people got to see it first. For someone with OC tendencies, this was torture.

I won tickets to AVTAK as well, and took my brother to see it opening day. By this time I was reluctantly agreeing that Roger's day was already over.

In 1995 I took my own son to see GoldenEye, at the tender age of 6 1/2. When I went to take him to see TWINE, he confessed that his friend's dad had taken him and his friend to see it already. When I moaned about the betrayal he said, "Dad, you wouldn't have waited." I had to admit, he had a point.

Due to unavoidable duties I was unable to attend the premieres of CR and QoS, which is just as well. It's high time I stopped letting OC tendencies control my life (that doesn't stop me making multiple trips to the cineplex, though).

Edited by AMC Hornet, 14 November 2010 - 05:17 AM.

#38 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:28 AM

Moonraker.
For your eyes only.

Absolutely. I saw many great movies their, Empire strikes back, Return of the jedi, tons of the bonds, Raiders of... on and on I could go. Manc exile myself tho not quite as far as la. Cheshire

lol @ cheshire!
Didn't Raiders play at the ABC on Deansgate rather than the Odeon? Pretty damn sure thats where I saw it...
I also remember seeing NSNA there; that was nice as well, cos it still had the balcony;
You ever go to 6-9 on deansgate? always felt I needed a shower after seeing a movie there....

#39 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:48 AM

My "Roger as Bond at the cinema" roll call is as follows:-

1973 - Live And Let Die - same place as the Connery/Lazenby films, my local fleapit, during the school holidays, amongst lots of other appreciative kids.

1974 - The Man With The Golden Gun - fleapit again, not sure of the date, may have been either just before or after Christmas. Could have been in 1975. Remember, in those days, we provincials were weeks, if not months behind London in seeing new cinema releases!

1977 - The Spy Who Loved Me - at a cinema in Nottingham, much more plush than the fleapit. Came away thinking "Liked the car, the ski stunt, the supertanker battle. Not keen on the silly humour at times. And was that really a Bond theme over the credits?"

1979 - Moonraker - same Nottingham cinema. Emerged thinking it would probably be the last new Bond film I'd go to see, if that was the direction they were going.

1981 - For Your Eyes Only - this is more like it, although shoving that bald man in a wheel chair down a chimney was daft, and the Maggie and Denis finale was not only daft but dated. I went to see this the week before I left home to go to college, and then low and behold during my first week at college it was on at the local flicks so I went to see it again.

1983 - Octopussy - the only Bond I have seen at the Odeon, Leicester Square. I was in London at the time and thought "why not?".

1985 - A View To A Kill - back home, at a local cinema. I remember thinking it could have been a better swan song for Roger Moore, but it was Bond so why complain too much? I think Octopussy would have been a better finale for him, sailing off into the sunset, literally!