#1 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 04:43 AM

I was lucky to see:

For Your Eyes Only!! That was pretty overwhelming.. I was very young. I was 10 years old, I had friends who were older.. and for me to see that HIGH amazing action.. wow! It was amazing.

Octopussy!! The was the most amazing movie going experiece to this day! I was a little older, but felt like an adult.. EVERY scene..every joke worked! the crowd cheered/laughed in all the right spots.. I actually saw this about 5 times in the theater! ( this and Return of the Jedi were playing at the sametime.. same theater.. and I saw BOTH a ton of times..back and forth) BEST summer for me :)

A View to a Kill!! To be honest I saw it a week after it came out, and saw it in the middle of the day.. there was maybe 7 people in a 700 seat theater.. and that alone made me sad.. and kinda ruined the movie for me :)

BUT since then I have watch it and love it.. it is not Roger's best..but it was a interesting movie!! :)

WHAT are your Theater Memories..

What Roger 007 Movies did you see in the Theater??

:)

#2 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 05:16 AM

in the theater, in the summer of 85 i saw AVTAK and it was my first in a movie house and i loved that movie and the song by duran duran was playing all summer on radio, and mtv and it was a great time as i watched bond beat the bad guys. and i love that movie and when i watch it to this day i think about how things were in the very hot summer of 1985

then the next was TWINE, another great movie that i love a lot pierce brosnan and denise richards...what more do i need say on that

and the next was DAD a fair bond film, no denise... tears fill my eyes as i say that, excuse me while i take a tissue to my eyes...but i hope the next bond film is better and does not try and cater to the xxx van..whats his name generation

#3 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 01:09 PM

Moonraker was my first, in complete awe (I was 7 years old).

Octopussy was the most fun, the theater was packed, the crowd roared at every joke, applauded when Bond lured the missle into the hangar and escaped through the door crack.

A View to a Kill was ok. Actually I was wary that it was not "cool" to be a Bond fan (I was 13), but I saw a couple of popular high schoolers there and decided to talk to them. They said they were seeing it for the third time, because they loved the snow boarding (something new), the neon babes during the credits, and firetruck chase. I had renewed hope as a teenage Bond fan...

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 01:28 PM

The first Roger Moore 007 movie I saw in a movie theater was "Moonraker" in 1979. I was about seven or eight years old and I remember thinking the space shuttle looked really kinda cool (the real thing wasn't launched until Columbia took off in 1981). I also loved all the OTT stuff that I have since grown to dislike about the movie.

Then off course was FYEO. At the time I was still in awe of the vastness of MR, and so I felt a little let down. Since then I have grown to really like this back to basics more reality based 007 movie.

I saw OP about a week after it opened. My uncle took myself and his family to go see it and it was the first time they had been to a movie theater in about three years. I remember thinking the bit where Moore is in the monkey suit and checks his watch was really funny - not sure why now!

Then AVTAK. The first 007 movie that I went back for a repeat viewing too. I thought it was simply fantastic, a great thrill ride. I still have a lot of fondness for this movie.

#5 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:27 AM

Originally posted by homerjbond

Octopussy was the most fun, the theater was packed, the crowd roared at every joke, applauded when Bond lured the missle into the hangar and escaped through the door crack.

That is funny.. I think that movie played well in every theater.. I wonder if anyone had a bad movie going experience for Octopussy

I live in Ohio.. and it sounds like we were in the same theater

:cool:

#6 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 12:21 PM

Actually, we were living on a military base in Japan...military folks have always loved Bond (especially during the Cold War).

#7 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 04:20 PM

I've got a lot of great memories of seeing Moore movies in the theaters. I also live in Ohio, 4 Ur Eyes Only.

I saw LALD at a drive-in theater around July 4th time when I was just 6.

The only Bond movies I haven't seen in a theater or drive-in were TMWTGG and TSWLM. I was about to go see TSWLM one Sunday, but my uncle asked if I wanted to go to a Cincinnati Reds baseball game and I went to that instead and didn't see it until it premiered on television.

I saw Moonraker with a packed house in '79. It was the perfect film when you're 12. It actually sparked my real interest in Bond that continues to this day.

Saw FYEO the second day it was out at another drive-in in '81. Saw it two more times there.

Saw Octopussy the day it premiered. What was funny was the theater marquee didn't have the film name, just James Bond. Maybe somebody was embarassed. Saw it three more times, once at a drive-in and back-to-back in another theater.

Saw AVTAK a week before I graduated from high school. Saw it two more times, once alone and once with friends at a drive-in.

#8 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:10 PM

In '85 I was 12. My parents were pretty strict and, while a Bond fan, I hadn't seen any in a theater.

While on vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC, my 21 year-old sister took me to see AVTAK while my mom thought we were at the beach. She had a serious crush on Moore and was more than happy to see it again.

I thought it was great, and I still have a soft spot for that movie.

#9 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:14 PM

The first was in 1973 "Live and Let Die", here in northern New Jersey . I thought it was great . I recall all the build up to the film's release .

#10 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:59 PM

I am kinda excited.. talked to my brother and he said I saw moonraker.. well he remembers going with me.. so thats cool

watching last night on dvd triggered some memories.. of crowd reactions :)

#11 Dr.Carl Mortner

Dr.Carl Mortner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 11:38 PM

The biggest regret of my life is never going to see a Roger Moore Bond movie in the theatre, even though I've been aware of Bond ever since Moonraker (I was six years old and even had a full collection of the bubble-gum cards). It's kinda funny - my mom had a huge crush on Roger Moore and I considered it my duty to tell her a new James Bond movie had come out (imagine my confusion when Never Say Never Again came out and this "new guy" was playing 007 - my mom just kinda grinned when I said that). Regardless, she never took me to see one - my first Bond theatrical experience was The Living Daylights in '87.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 01:49 AM

The Spy Who Loved Me (Topanga Theater in San Fernando Valley)
For Your Eyes Only (Pacific Hollywood on Hollywood Blvd. on opening day)
Octopussy (Paramount Theatre on Hollywood Blvd.)
A View to A Kill (went to the world premiere in San Francisco - and Chinese Theater on opening day)

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 07:00 PM

Originally posted by zencat
The Spy Who Loved Me (Topanga Theater in San Fernando Valley)
For Your Eyes Only (Pacific Hollywood on Hollywood Blvd. on opening day)
Octopussy (Paramount Theatre on Hollywood Blvd.)
A View to A Kill (went to the world premiere in San Francisco - and Chinese Theater on opening day)

Hey zencat -- just curious. Was AVTAK the only Bond movie in which the world premiere was in the USA?
I remember all the coverage of that premiere, even thr fact that Tanya Roberts drew some wolf whistles from the crowd.

#14 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 07:16 PM

My first was FYEO. I was '11. That was the best summer of movies for me b/c I saw "Empire" and "Raiders"(i missed the first run of Empire) on the same weekend. And my first Bond in a theater...

I missed the pretitle and credits sequence b/c we were late. I arrived as Melina was about to land in the Greek isles. Even though I missed the beginning I still loved it. It's probably my favorite Bond movie, the most entertaining one for me despite my love of Connery and Dalton era films. I loved Carol Bouqet and that song. It's a truly great summer Bond with the underwater scenes and exotic Greece...I wish Bond 21 would come out summer 2005 and stay in the summer season.

I saw NSNA but not Octopussy in the theater. I saw AVTAK on a double feature with Rambo 2 at a $2 theater. I liked it but I knew it was time for a new Bond. My choice was a guy named Timothy Dalton who I liked from Flash Gordon but they hired Pierce Brosnan instead... :)

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Tarl_Cabot
My choice was a guy named Timothy Dalton who I liked from Flash Gordon

Ahh "Flash Gordon" -- one of my guilty pleasures. I love just how Over The Top that movie is and it has a great soundtrack by "Queen" too. I saw "Flash Gordon" at the movie theater. It was a memorable night because it was in the middle of winter and the heating was broken in the theater. I was sitting there wrapped up in a coat and scarf and just lost in that science fiction/fantasy adventure...

"Flash Gordon" actually featured a number of Bond actors -- Timothy Dalton was Prince Barin, Topol (from FYEO) was Dr. Zarkov and Max Von Sydow (from NSNA) was Ming the Merciless. Brian Blessed was never in a Bond movie but he should have been!!

#16 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 04:39 AM

Ornella Mutti should have been a Bond girl too! She was the sexiest woman ever!

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Tarl_Cabot
Ornella Mutti should have been a Bond girl too! She was the sexiest woman ever!

Yeah she was pretty incredible looking as the Princess in "Flash Gordon"....No wonder Dalton's Prince Barin fell for her.

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 12:51 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

Yeah she was pretty incredible looking as the Princess in "Flash Gordon"....No wonder Dalton's Prince Barin fell for her.

It's a shamne it wasn't a bigger box office success, I would have loved to have seen a sequel.

#19 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 03:55 PM

Yeah Flash Gordon was one of my favorite guilty pleasure growing up. I remeber early to mid 80's FG and FYEO were always on HBO in the morning on Saturdays...

Flash himself looked like a pørno star! A lame hero but the supporting characters made the film.The Baron was cool.I thought "why doesn't this guy become Bond?" He has the look, voice and an edge to him...I hear Roger nearly parted ways withb Bond before FYEO and Dalton was approached. He would have been great for that film.But that was Roger's finest hr so he made the right call to stay.

#20 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 04:02 PM

That was the first movie I saw Dalton in, too. In fact, it was the only thing I remembered him from when he was named the new Bond, but it was enough of an impression to know it was a good choice.

I remember going to see Flash Gordon when it was new and it was one of the first movies I taped when we got our first VCR back in '82. Ahhh, the good old days of Beta.

#21 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 04:09 PM

My family also bought a Beta VCR back in 1982 and I taped "Flash Gordon" . I have now owned copies of that movie in Beta, VHS and now DVD. It's a movie that is so much fun.

#22 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 04:16 PM

Come to think of it, there is another Bond connection. Flash Gordon was written by Lorenzo Semple Jr., who went on write Never Say Never Again a few years later.

#23 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Turn
Come to think of it, there is another Bond connection. Flash Gordon was written by Lorenzo Semple Jr., who went on write Never Say Never Again a few years later.

Good catch, you are correct. I am sure there was more Bond connections between "Flash Gordon" and Bond because it was filmed in England as most of the Bond movies were.

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:20 PM

In fact I feel sorely tempted to put my "Flash Gordon" DVD in the player right now and settle back for a couple of hours of good fun!

#25 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 09:33 AM

I never saw flash gordon.. did that remake it in the 1980's??

#26 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 04:27 PM

Yes in 1980 it starred Timothy Dalton, Sam Jones, Topol, Melody Anderson, Max Von Sydow, Ornella Muti and Brian Blessed. The soundtrack was done by Queen.
You really should check it out, It is available on DVD.
Its a really fun movie...

#27 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 08:29 AM

Cool.. well must see it now with Timothy in it :)

Ok..

Instead of starting a New topic..

*If you can pick ONLY one Roger 007 Movie you didn't see in the Theater..

which one do you wish you saw and why?

* TSWLM : Because it is when Roger hit his stride as Bond! I love the other 2.. but if you ask me today.. I'd say this one :)

.. as a Kid: I'd say LALD!! because it was just different and fun!

#28 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 12:02 PM

You'll enjoy it 4 Ur Eyez Only, the movie "Flash Gordon" is one of those movies I throw in my DVD player when I just want to see some escapist fun. Timothy Dalton plays a great swashbuckling Prince Barin. They went for much the same look as the 1930s/1940s matinee series. I think Topol, Melody Anderson and Brian Blessed also put in great performances.
As for your question I have seen every movie in the movie theater since 'Moonraker' so I would have to say TSWLM. I personally think that is the best movie in the series.

#29 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

I've seen all of Roger Moore's Bond films in the theaters. And with the exception of "THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN", I've enjoyed them all.

#30 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:57 PM

The spy who loved me 1977 I was seven years old and this was my first Bond seen on the Big screen.
Moonraker.
For your eyes only.
Octopussy (first and only time I managed to "get lucky" with a girl in a cinema. (I was 13 and by lucky I mean kiss)
View to a kill. - sadly the first Bond movie where I remember thinking at times that I was a little jaded and bored of moore's Bond.