35 replies to this topic

#31 Cabainus

Cabainus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 01:28 PM

I think Dalton came along at just the right time.

Although I am a big fan of Moore's interpretation of Bond, the use of sight gags and OTT comedy had been stretched to the extreme and had become tiresome.

Although a lot of people were initially shocked by Daltons hard-edged, and serious version of Bond, it re-energised the series and bought back the "It could actually happen" element into the films.

I am a big fan of both TLD and LTK, and maybe you could say that Dalton came closest to portraying the 'literary' James Bond.
I have always believed that Ian Fleming would have greatly appreciated his contribution.

I also believe that had the films not taken the turn they did when he took on the mantle of Bond, then perhaps the series would not still continue to run today.

#32 00 deceased

00 deceased

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 01:38 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
It's always a pleasure to see you again, Bondpurist.

It's always a pleasure to meet a Jedi!

#33 OOSe7en

OOSe7en

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 01:41 PM

I still love Dalton giving Bond "pure rage" over the death of Saunders in TLD. You got the feeling this was NOT a guy to mess with !

#34 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:54 PM

As I've (probably) said before, the ultimate test for a Bond is whether you really believe that he would kill you in cold blood or not. For me, only Dalton and Connery have passed it, although Pierce comes close. Dalton always seemed to me to be dangerous, edgy and just a little bit unpredictable. He's the Bond that has best captured the look of a killer, which, at the end of the day, is what Bond is.

#35 00 deceased

00 deceased

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 09:57 PM

I think Brosan's Bond would scare the hell out of me look at his facial expression when he confronts Renard in TWINE! Moore never looked to deadly but he could throw a punch!

#36 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:06 PM

I always liked Tim Dalton in "Flash Gordon" and thought he would be a perfect Bond so I was very happy when I heard he would replace Roger Moore/Pierce Brosnan as the new 007.Dalton is my favorite Bond after Connery (early) and I loved his two films but when I saw "Licence to Kill" I counted five people who walked out of the movie and did not return! FIVE! I knew I was in the minority of Bond fans who liked the change of tone and realisim of The Dalton era .

I knew after I saw LTK and read about the weekend box office that Dalton's future as Bond was in doubt. Dalton was too serious for the casual fan who was raised on Moore's approach to 007 and who never read Flemming or Gardner. That's a shame because he played the character within the context of the storyline and did a great job. He looked and acted like a secret agent and not like a comedian...I think if Dalton had done a good film in '91 and '93 like he was supposed to he would have been everyone's 007.I would have loved to see Dalton's Bond continue on his own as a rogue agent. the possibilities would have been fascinating to explore...

Pierce is a fine 007 but for me he reaks of show business (I never wanted Pierce in '86 because i thought he was too pretty and would be just a young Roger Moore clone). I can't picture him doing something in life outside of the ET industry. Pierce also came along when the public was deprived and hungry for Bond after a 6 year absence.Any actor would have had a smashing opening weekend after such a drought.He's a good Bond and i'm happy for him that he got the job that he was once screwed out of. NBC made a terrible business decision to take that gig away from him;They could have let him do "Daylights" and REALLY capitalized off him with Reminington Steele.