33 replies to this topic

#1 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 10:03 PM

Now that Raymond Besnon and Glidrose have parted company, surely now is the time to release Benson's short stories as an anthology? This summer would be ideal. If not, will the public get another chance of reading them? Whats everyone's thoughts on this?

#2 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 11:50 AM

the only short story i want to read is 'blast from the past'. his playboy and tv guide ice skating story doesnt really interest me

#3 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 12:45 PM

I'd love to see it happen, but it doesn't look likely.

Are the stories available on-line anywhere?

#4 Zographos

Zographos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 03:57 PM

They're available to buy at www.RaymondBenson.com

Although I suspect that if you're persistent, you might be able to find downloadable versions elsewhere on the internet.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 04:02 PM

Benson had mentioned this was a possibility when he had enough stories for a full book. There's a long version of Blast From The Past that I've always wanted to read. That would have been included. But it doesn't look like it's going to happen now. Too bad.

#6 Zographos

Zographos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 04:06 PM

It'll happen eventually, Zencat. It may take 40 years, like "007 in New York", but it'll happen. :)

#7 niggle

niggle

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 07:00 AM

I hope this happens asap

#8 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 02:50 PM

Yes it would be great to have Benson's short stories published in a book.
Specially Blast from the past wich has never been published in english language in its full version.
I've read it because I made it translated and published in french in the first issue of Archives 007, the mag of club007, the french fan club.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Cesari
I've read it because I made it translated and published in french in the first issue of Archives 007, the mag of club007, the french fan club.

Really! I didn't know this. Can I get this mag from the French club site? What was on the cover so I'll know it if I see it?

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:39 PM

Since Benson has already written four short stories perhaps he could write a couple more and make up a full book....I'd get it even though I have read all the short stories already.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:45 PM

That would be great, but I don't think it's gonna happen. :)

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:47 PM

Why do you think that John....some insider info you are not able to divulge?

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:49 PM

Has to be the sheer length - these stories are short. I say compile them with the memoirs and The Heart of Eruzile and hopefully make that into a collection.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:12 PM

Why do you think that John....some insider info you are not able to divulge?

View Post

No, just thinking logically. If IFP is letting the Benson books go out of print then I don't see them publishing a new one. It's all about Fleming and Young Bond over at IFP these days.

My hope is some smaller, specialty publisher will find a way to publish the shorts. Sort of like what the Mysterious Press/Armchair Detective did with LTK. I wonder what it would take to do this?

#15 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:08 PM

Has to be the sheer length - these stories are short. I say compile them with the memoirs and The Heart of Eruzile and hopefully make that into a collection.

View Post

Ah, but the full, uncut version of BFTP is much longer. If they could beef up Octopussy to make a collection out of it, anything is possible.

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:13 PM

View Post

Ah, but the full, uncut version of BFTP is much longer. If they could beef up Octopussy to make a collection out of it, anything is possible.

View Post

Ah, I don't know the short or full length's of “Blast From The Past”. It's the only Nond story I've never read nor own.

#17 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:19 PM

View Post

View Post

Ah, I don't know the short or full length's of “Blast From The Past”. It's the only Nond story I've never read nor own.

View Post

Ah, it is a great read. If it truly was Benson's audition for the role of continuation author, you can see why Glidrose chose him. If you can read Italian or French, you can even have a taste of the full length version. Alas, I do not :) .

#18 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:11 PM

'fraid I can't. Even if I did, where can that full-length version be found?

#19 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:35 PM

While I would love to see an anthology I doubt it will happen in our lifetime.

The full length BFTP is a nice selling point, and something I would like to read but I don't think it's a big enough draw to put any anthology on the best seller lists.

The biggest drawback too is that these stories are easy to find - TV Guide has the largest circulation of any magazine IN THE WORLD. 5 million or something.

And Playboy isn't exactly rare either.

Let's look at Octopussy - Peter Janson-Smith discovered an unpublished Fleming story - and they combined it with The Living Daylights which had only appeared in a british newspaper supplement.

Now if we got the full BFTP, MSND, LA5, and the unpublished Heart of Ezirule and done in a limited edition by Mysterious Press - I think it would do OK. But IFP isn't interested in OK.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:45 PM

Now if we got the full BFTP, MSND, LA5, and the unpublished Heart of Ezirule and done in a limited edition by Mysterious Press - I think it would do OK.  But IFP isn't interested in OK.

View Post

Yep, that would be the idea. Maybe with a nice intro by RB. I know I would buy it! :)

#21 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:47 AM

[quote name='zencat' date='21 April 2005 - 15:45'][quote name='doublenoughtspy' date='21 April 2005 - 12:35']Now if we got the full BFTP, MSND, LA5, and the unpublished Heart of Ezirule and done in a limited edition by Mysterious Press - I think it would do OK.

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:52 AM

Is the copyright the problem?

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:26 AM

[quote name='zencat' date='21 April 2005 - 16:45'][quote name='doublenoughtspy' date='21 April 2005 - 12:35']Now if we got the full BFTP, MSND, LA5, and the unpublished Heart of Ezirule and done in a limited edition by Mysterious Press - I think it would do OK.

#24 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:07 AM

'fraid I can't. Even if I did, where can that full-length version be found?

View Post

There's a nice little bit about the Italian extended version here:

http://www.ianflemin...alianbond.shtml

I only know of the French version because Cesari mentioned it before, and Raymond also spoke of it in Zencat's interview. I don't actually know which publication had the honors.

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:16 AM

Interesting. Thanks, Clink. :)

#26 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:24 AM

It shouldn't take too much to put an anthology together....would Benson be up to doing it though?

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:31 AM

Don't see why not. All the stories are already done.

#28 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:31 AM

It shouldn't take too much to put an anthology together....would Benson be up to doing it though?

View Post

I don't think Benson would be the problem. It would be the IFP holding things back, just like always.

#29 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:28 AM

[quote name='zencat' date='22 April 2005 - 04:45'][quote name='doublenoughtspy' date='21 April 2005 - 12:35']Now if we got the full BFTP, MSND, LA5, and the unpublished Heart of Ezirule and done in a limited edition by Mysterious Press - I think it would do OK.

#30 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:45 AM

Now, that's a great idea. Very low overhead, low production cost, you just throw it out there and both Benson and the IFP get to make their dime with very little expense and effort. And there would be no overrun. Almost worth dreaming about :) .